Outdoors New Zealand Traditional Rendevous 2006

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

little arrows

Outdoors New Zealand Traditional Rendevous 2006

#1 Post by little arrows » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:36 am

Hey Kelvin,

Hope you don't mind me starting a new thread, but a few of us are starting to get motivated.

How are things looking for 06 shoot.........

will email you with details of the workshop etc later.

sue

Kiwikelvin

#2 Post by Kiwikelvin » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:03 am

Sue, I,m delighted to have your assistance and input. I will post info on this thread as the 2006 Rendezvous evolves. Already wondering if the Aussies are making a takeover bid for GODZONE ther has been so much interest from folk wanting to come over. Have an email from Don Thomas confirming the USA autheor, M.D. all round good archer and shooter of Grizzly Bear with a bow will be with us and deliver some thoughts at the Sunday evenig game dinner. Twisting the airlines arms to come up with competitive rates and ther will be a few more service providers who join that lineup. In addition to the International challenge for the Pacific bowhunting Sheild expect to join in the workshop (making a selfbow,arrows and string), the arrow making comp and get the dust off those cameras. Somewhere in between those activities we will make time for eating drinking , the usual streeeetched stories so forget about getting any sleep. Do that and you will miss the boat for the sea bowfishing trip.
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Al Kidner

#3 Post by Al Kidner » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:28 pm

Ahhhh a newbie thread! :D.

You can count both myself and my better half Kelly, will be at your shoot Kelvin. I/we've met Don when he has been over here hunting and for the Kev Whiting 25th shoot in 2002. He is an exceptional fellow and hunter as well as a top story teller on his worldly travels.

We than plan to head down with Cashy to annoy some Reds in the south Island mate. Keep us posted as with Travel and accom.

Regards mate, Al Kidner.

Kiwi Longbow

#4 Post by Kiwi Longbow » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:28 pm

Hiya

Great to see that there's a fair bit of interest already! I'm heading out for a hunt towards the end of August with the compound and then it will be time to dust of the longbow. I've ordered a Chekmate which I'm hoping will arrive in time for me to get a bit of practice in before the event.

Looking forward till Jan 2006. I would have just finished a 6 months project at work so will be looking to get in a bit of R&R. So if you could put in an order for the weather we had this year Kelvin that would be great.

How's the bowmaking going Al?

Cheers
Rob

Al Kidner

#5 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:16 pm

G'day Rob,

Mate the bow maken is on a hold for a little while :roll: as work is taking up all my time :( . But thats gonna change soon enough... i thinks! I do plan to get some arras made up for the shoot/hunt and a few for the arrow comp. At least this time mate I'll know what the judges are lookingg for! :wink:

Be good to catch up when I'm over.

Regards Al.

Kiwikelvin

#6 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:58 am

Hi fellow and fellowess Toxophiles, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth but I have stopped swimming now that it has stopped raining. Been chasing a few airplanes but they kept rising too high of the ground so went and nobbled someone stuck to a chair. DEALS can be done for those of you in hoppy land to make it to the Rendezvous. Large numbers will be needed to carry the Shield back across the ditch. Don,t want the shield to get wet as you swim home so if you win this time we will bring it to Gladstone for a visit next year. Good old Rugby Bledisloe Cup rules rule. Seriously folk if anyone would like info on possible air-packages give me a holler email rendezvous@nzarchery.com. AirNZ and Quantas are offering special fares and emirates will do a group package which looks pretty healthy just need to check each enquiry as it arises. Keep those points sharp and fletchings dry. A GLIMMER OF HOPE FOR AUSTRALIA Bruce and Amber may not be with us this year so we may have to reveal our secret weapons damn it! :D
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Kiwikelvin

#7 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:54 pm

Off to check out a possible frehwater Koi Carp fishing venue. A guided fishing hunt is being organised for those willing to pay for the privilege. Also putting a trip/trips together for those interested in going to sea to shoot sea trout in the Bay of Plenty. A day of real fun with fresh fish for tea. Interested drop us a line. Details of some exciting side dishes will be sent out with registration details along with the information about the selfbow/arrow making workshop to be held the weekend prior to the Rendezvous. If you enjoyed 2005 then 2006 will be a real blast.

Kiwikelvin

#8 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:50 am

:D NO WE HAVEN"T FALLEN OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH!. There is a saying that one is always in it just a question of how deep. Well it kinda went up past the eyes BUT it is receding and with the next breath of air it will be all happening. SERIOUSLY folks all is progressing in the right direction and you can expect the 2006 Rendezvous to be even better than the past. Have put in place some Bowfishing hunts, both fresh and saltwater, would recommend the saltwater option around January. (The Koi Carp have headed to deeper water to try and recover from a hyper active sex drive) Anyone wanting to hunt other species let me know are several options are being explored both big and small game (If you want to shoot bunnies, possums (yes we are allowed to) and eels DON'T ask Cashie or Basalt) There will be a workshop the weekend prior to the the Rendezvous so those of you with a real commitment to archery can be taught how to make a selfbow, arrows and be taught by a real cute little blond how to make a flemish string. The long walk will be relocated to adjoin the river and there are some sneaky thoughts floating around with respect to the specialties. Cowboy get practicing as there are now two backing boards under construction for a knife throwing and Hawk throwing competition. Have a coupkle of hawks just need approval from the cops for the throwing knives ( yes you read right need approval for proper throwing knives). Keep those cards and letters coming and you will be advised in person as material is released. BY the way the Bowhunting Safari Shield looks really good hanging on the wall in New Zealand.

Kiwikelvin

#9 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:56 am

JUst so everyone knows the Rendezvous officially starts Sat. 28th Jan 2006 and finishes Mon. 39th Jan 2006. Nodoubt we will have early arrivals, the weekend before even for the bowmaking workshop and a few late leavers which all adds to the fun. Stick around long enough and you can help us celebrate our third daughters wedding or caretake the place while we go.

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:55 pm

ok call me blonde, I know NZ is three hours ahead in time, but gee Kelvin, how did you organise the all your islands to get those 8 extra days onto the end of the month.
An eleven day shoot - gosh I better take some more arrows.......
s

Kiwikelvin

#11 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:54 pm

Sue You are now learning why we can beat the Aussies and it would appear most of Europe. This is Aotearoa, the land of the long white cloud, its what we hide behind when we create extra days to practise the fancy footwork and learn the blarney ( the Irish just initiated it we perfect it) With those extra days of dedicated practise Kiwi's can do anything. Now the secret is out I might have to come and live in Hoppy land or take a trip back in time to erase the unfortunate disclosure of a national secret. Now you may not believe that explaination but would you accept I hit the wrong key and it should be 30th.

Basalt

Revenge of the Aussies

#12 Post by Basalt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:45 pm

G'day gang, it always seems that I just get through most of the emails and phone messages just in time to look on here and then it's time to go guiding again. [ leave 4:30 am tomorrow] Anyway Kelvin I guess you know we're coming back in force and we aim to settle the score a little.
Sounds like it's going to be bigger and better than last year and that will take some doing. Good to see you and Kelly coming Al you will have a ball. Sue and the Oz team looking forward to catching up with all you guys again, this time those Kiwis are in serious trouble. I hope all the Kiwis from last year turn up for the shoot as they are a great bunch of people and made us Ozzies all feel very welcome. Kelvin we have already booked our flights as has Don and Lori. Don and I will be doing a bit of Sika hunting before the shoot with Kevin Low and then Linda and I and Don and Lori fly home straight after the shoot. Not too sure on how we are going to get from where we are hunting to the shoot on the Friday but I should be able to sort that out by then.
Erron it would be great to see you there mate, it's one not to miss and I know we would all like the chance to meet you and buy you a COLD
[ Kelvin] beer.
Anyway all you Ozzie stickbow shooters make the effort to get over there if you can it's a top shoot and you will have a ball. Oh yah, don't believe anything about the "Long White Cloud" the weather is perfect that time of year. They just tell us it's always raining so we don't all flock over there at once and sink their little Island.

Basalt

Special Longbow cover

#13 Post by Basalt » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:57 pm

Hey Sue, I need to order one of your Quilted Longbow covers and I'm hoping you can do a special one for me in time to take it to N.Z. Could you give me your contact details. Leave early tomorrow,
thanks, Bill.

Kiwikelvin

#14 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:33 pm

Hi Bill, If you get in a little more practise you might just get to win one of the Bow Bags Sue has generously ofered as a prize. You could give it to Linda? Getting here will not be a problem just let me know what the plans are and I will see what we can get organised. Guess if we go via Stewart Is. you should arrive in time for the prizes being presented to the Kiwi's. Drop me an email with your travel plans . Anyone else need help drop us a line. As Bill said Erron love to have you here.

Kiwikelvin

#15 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:45 pm

:idea: Things are really starting to fall into place. details posted on nzarchery.com of lots of the events associated with the Rendezvous and a full program with registration form. Great to have Aussie registrations already lodged but think you might have to swell the numbers a tad if you folk think you are going to succeed in the extracurricular activities.

Kiwikelvin

#16 Post by Kiwikelvin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:02 pm

:D As Little Arrows keeps reminding me not many sleeps to go now! The game trail 28 target course has been reestablished with running and moving targets to complement the static game ones. Not looking to bad even if I do say so myself. Couple more Australian registrations to hand and everything under control for our guest speaker from the U.S.A. Don Thomas and his wife Lori. Some great prizes up for grabs and thank goodness the Kiwi's are back from their holidays and filing their registrations. Really do appreciate prior notice of your intention to attend as it makes catering etc sooooo much easier. Looking forward to seeing you all in person. P.S. Don't forget the flu flu's, the photographic comp and the matched arrow comp

little arrows

#17 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:01 pm

Only 16 sleeps to the shoot guys... anyone else on here going?, but only 6 more sleeps for us - see you next Thursday for the workshop.

Hey Kelvin, I have to admit we have actually had a little bit of practice. Me boss has built a field course along his creek, 10 mins from home, and he and his family seem to have been bitten by the archery bug too, so when you come over in June, and drop in on your way home - we can have a little flick around the "private" course.....fun fun fun....

seeya sooner than you think.
sue

Kiwikelvin

#18 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:44 pm

Well ben there done that and got the T Shirt. Actually the shirts aree much better than T Shirts they were even good enough for more than one Aussie to buy one. The event went well and those of you on the wrong side of the ditch owe a vote of thanks to those who did manage the swim for giving the Kiwi's a real run for their money. One arrow was all that made the difference Thank gooodness it was a Kiwi one or we would never have lived it down. Posting results and pic's on www.nzarchery.com from both the Rendezvous and the bow making workshop. Looking forward to the Gladstone Muster and another close encounter of the archery kind. Thanks for coming folk see you all again soon Kelvin