The Victorian High Country Hunt - 1-3 October 2005

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

#241 Post by Pete » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:42 pm

Mick, hope all goes well mate. Theres more important things than hunting.

I have most of my gear sorted and ready, will hopefully be there sat'dy arvo or sundy morning.

Cheers,
Pete F

Hood

#242 Post by Hood » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:28 am

Well all is good with bubs now we have worked out the problem and are rectifying it now. She will be able to come home tomorrow (Sat)

Can't wait to hear about the hunt. :mrgreen:

Might just head to one of my properties on Monday instead. :)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#243 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 pm

Well fellas, I back from the hunt. We had a fantastic time !!!!

Every person there bagged a good sambar. The sambar were that thick, I thought I was hunting rabbits before the mixo hits. In fact, Erron bagged one as it walked past the campsite. Erron's arrow passed through the hole on the steel pig and hit the unlucky sambar right in the vitals, dropping it on the spot. At one stage I was wanting to get from one side of the river to the other. The river there is fairly wide, about 20 meters or so. I just waited until about 6 or 7 sambar were lined up across the stream and I then ran across their backs, using them as stepping stones. The above extract was from my dream on the first night in camp. These were the only sambar sighted on the trip, at least up until I left on Sunday arvo.

We had a really great trip none-the-less. How could it have been any other way? What a great bunch of blokes!! What fantastic country!!! I think we ended up with 9 members at the hunt. I think that's a great turnout considering the distances involved. We had people from as far away as Queensland there.

Thanks for the great weekend fellas !!!!! :D

Mick

PS. Stay tuned for plenty of photos.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

erron

#244 Post by erron » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:28 pm

Mick,

I like your dreams mate! :D

Yes, everything you say about the trip I second. Great company, beautiful country, lots of laughs and I learnt heaps.

Pity all the Sambar shots didn't come out (not to mention a lot of others :?), but here's a few that did from my dig camera:

cheers,

Erron
Attachments
Spotted Bear, Woody and Ian (from Ballarat Bowhunters)
Spotted Bear, Woody and Ian (from Ballarat Bowhunters)
Tired-Bowhunters.jpg (80.5 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
targets.jpg
targets.jpg (93.28 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Hut at the second day's hunt site
Hut at the second day's hunt site
s-hun.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Mick Smith
Mick Smith
Mick-Smith-and-Work-Horse.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
Jindydiver and Sparra
Jindydiver and Sparra
Jindy&Sparra.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 6581 times
First Day's Hunt Scenery...
First Day's Hunt Scenery...
s-Hunt-Scenery.jpg (98.57 KiB) Viewed 6581 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#245 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:54 pm

Thanks for the update. Did anyone actully see or kill any game? I look forward to more photos.

Jeff

Sparra

#246 Post by Sparra » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:59 pm

Gaday fella's...got back this arvo and I agree with the comments..I had a great weekend and it was good to put some faces to names although whoever got the port out on Saturday night wasn't my favourate person on Sunday morning..All up I did in 6 arrows on the steel pig and one on the ball so I will have to start rebuilding..Thanks to all and I'm looking forward to the next one...
Regards...Sparra

jindydiver

#247 Post by jindydiver » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:30 pm

I had a great time guys, and I want to thank all the people who came and made the hunt such a success. Some of us hunted very hard country and saw little sign there, but meanwhile Ian had a walk 300 metres from the camp and brought back a pocketful of sambar droppings. It gave us all hope that we would see one but it wasn’t to be. Our second day hunting was in an area that looked very promising, until everyone started seeing dog prints everywhere....oh well :?

We had a lot of informal competitions to keep us entertained in camp. We had balls to kick around and shoot at that we called the “running ball” and of course we had the steel pig, and didn’t that bring us all down to earth with a thump. It sure puts a new focus into your shooting when a bad shot can hit you in the hip pocket.

Some pics.

The country on our first days hunt. Very hard going…..

Pretty bloody steep…..
Our friend the steel pig…..

Getting all set to hit the hole….

And it looks like someone just lost an arrow to the pig……guess who…..
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

gundy

#248 Post by gundy » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Damn I am ****** I missed this guys! I am glad you all had a good weekend! I will be at the next one, I promise!

:D

erron

#249 Post by erron » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:42 pm

Guy, how are things mate?

Erron

Hood

#250 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 pm

Looks like you guys had lots of fun and exercise looking for the Sambar.
I'll be there next time if nothing else comes up.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

CASERO

#251 Post by CASERO » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:11 am

That steel pig looks like a mean feat .
Practice practice practice

longbowman

Vic hunting/shoot

#252 Post by longbowman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:58 am

are you guys looking at doing it again at some stage soon? if so and you dont mind having a longbowman with you im interested

erron

#253 Post by erron » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:35 am

Longbowman, be patient while the page reloads after you hit the submit button, it takes a while :wink:

:D :D

Erron

longbowman

#254 Post by longbowman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:40 am

i discovered it happened when i hit the back button and it resent, my apologies for the double submit.
cheers Carl

memo

#255 Post by memo » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:17 pm

What a great weekend.
The lack of game was more than compensated for by the fantastic company. Can't wait for the next get together.
Some photos;
Attachments
You know you're in the high country when.....
You know you're in the high country when.....
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0004.JPG (19.7 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Plenty of springs in the thick stuff
Plenty of springs in the thick stuff
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0010.JPG (42.58 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
The only sign I saw up top, an old rub
The only sign I saw up top, an old rub
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0014.JPG (39.68 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
That bloke has his own brand of cheese(check the label)
That bloke has his own brand of cheese(check the label)
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0016.JPG (16.64 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Cooking up a feed of venison
Cooking up a feed of venison
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0019.JPG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Finish off with a nice fire and a port... hey Sparra
Finish off with a nice fire and a port... hey Sparra
Copy of 2005_1003highcountryhunt0008.JPG (26.12 KiB) Viewed 6472 times

jindydiver

#256 Post by jindydiver » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:29 pm

Check them all standing around, plate in hand, waiting for the feed :lol: :lol: :lol:
Good on you for bringing the fallow along Sparra
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#257 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:31 pm

It's great fun looking at the photos. I've got to wait until I've finished the roll on the 35mm camera before I can see my own. I'll post some then.

Has anyone else got some photos? I'd love to see 'em. :wink:

My thanks to everyone who turned up at the hunt. :D Thanks for making it a weekend I'll remember forever. :D

It may be a bit early to start talking about our next Ozbow hunt, but seeing as this one was so successful in terms of the number of members who turned up and also for the amount of fun we all had for the weekend, I think next year's hunt will be a goer for sure. :wink: Maybe it's not too early to start talking about it. I'm keen. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

erron

#258 Post by erron » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:10 pm

Hmm, sounds like a title for a new thread :wink:

Where?

When?

What?

Oh, the possibilities...

:lol:

Erron

coach

#259 Post by coach » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:11 pm

Where did you get the Fallow from Sparra ? Didnt read anything about your Fallow Hunt :?
If I had of been there NOBODY would have got Fallow steaks 8)

Sparra

#260 Post by Sparra » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:28 pm

A couple of pic's...

Heading for a hunt(walk)...

Around the camp filling up...

Magnificent views...

Coach...The fallow was complimants of Bushcam....

coach

#261 Post by coach » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:54 pm

Coach...The fallow was complimants of Bushcam....
Ahh ,I see,,,,,, was just going off what Jindy said :wink:
Fallow is great to eat ,, thanx to Jindy , I hate T-bones now :cry:
Love my venison now :D

Pete

#262 Post by Pete » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:55 pm

G'day,
I'll get there earlier next time so i can sit down and have a beer or two over a good yarn. Cant wait till the next hunt.

i wonder if woody and rudd ended up shooting anything on the way home?

Pete F

jindydiver

#263 Post by jindydiver » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:53 pm

How did you go Pete. Did you end up going up that hill looking for the goats?
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Pete

#264 Post by Pete » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:50 am

G'day Jindy,
Nah mate, will have to have a look next time. but thanks for the tip-off.

It was great meeting all the members that turned up. good to finally put a face to the names.

so when is the next hunt 8)

Mick Smith

#265 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:47 pm

Pete

It's not just a question of "when" it's also a question of "where". Personally, I think somewhere where there's almost guaranteed animals to hunt would be great. Somewhere perhaps on private property in Southern NSW or Northern Victoria. It would need to be fairly central. Perhaps a property with rabbits, goats and maybe some pigs or deer would be good.

As great as the High Country was, I couldn't help but get the feeling the sambar were few and far between. I wouldn't rule out another sambar hunt completely though. If we did another sambar hunt, it would be nice to be able to camp in the middle of productive country and for hunters to be able to radiate out from camp on foot at their leisure. Maybe up near the alpine hut would fit the bill. I reckon a regular long weekend or even Easter would be preferable to an ordinary weekend for the hunt. It's easy to spend more time driving than actually hunting otherwise.

There has been some talk about having the annual hunt up North somewhere next year to give members living in the Northern parts of the country the chance to attend. Really keen Southerners could make their way up there too, if they wanted to. Maybe we could have two hunts, who knows? Actually, I reckon it would be great to have even 3 or 4 hunts spread from one end of the country to the other and to have them right throughout the year.

If we want a hunt before next winter, we should start to organise it now.

I'd be very interested to hear the input of others on this subject. What do you think we should do? :D

Mick

erron

#266 Post by erron » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:57 pm

Sounds like another thread needed here…

:wink:

Erron

coach

#267 Post by coach » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:20 pm

Gotta ask you guys , Who S%^t themselves when Jindy first let out one of his HUGE belly laughs ? Sorry Jindy :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jindy is a great guy and one that I will always share a camp with , a wealth of knowledge as well :D

Mick Smith

#268 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:24 pm

We had a fair warning Coach (from you actually). Jindy is more than welcome to share a camp with me anytime too. He's not bad at hitting a moving ball either. 8)

Mick

jindydiver

#269 Post by jindydiver » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks a lot guys.
You should have seen me after the hunt on sunday, my hit rate went from 8/10 to about 3/10 :oops: By the time we packed it in I don't think I could have pulled the longbow back anymore :(
I was really glad the wife had tuesday at home so I could rest, my back was so trashed I had a hard time of it. And now I am ready to do it all again :D

I am keen to have another Ozbow get-together. I can't imagine anything happening until the new year though :(
I agree we should look for somewhere on private property (maybe) and it should have all sorts of game on offer, but after Adams bad experiance I can't imagine anybody going out on a limb like that :?
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#270 Post by erron » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:52 pm

Jindy,

I agree with the comments above, especially about sharing a campfire with you. One thing though, can we get Woody to light the fire :?: :lol: He's a Master 8)

Re: the next shoot, would it be an idea to maybe source some commercial property within our budget, so as not to run the risk of repeating Adam's experience? Maybe this is one of those scenarios where a commercial property is a good thing?

Erron