The Victorian High Country Hunt - 1-3 October 2005

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Hood

#31 Post by Hood » Tue May 10, 2005 10:52 pm

Well the tables have turned for me now. On a sad note I can no longer afford my trip up north to hunt hogs for ten days. :cry: :cry: :cry:
But I can now come to this group hunt as it is well with-in my budget.
So I'll be there and I'll have a spare seat in the ute for anyone from Adelaide or en-route to the location if they want a lift to get there.
But don't expect a to a cuffy ride it is an old ute with the usual rattles and squeeks but it goes.

I may even postpone the purchase of my compound to get one of those longbows from Patch. :P

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#32 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 10, 2005 10:59 pm

Mick

Welcome aboard mate! It'll be great to see you.
This is just getting better all the time. The way we're going we're bound to have a fantastic trip.

YIIPPPPPPEEEEEEE :!: :!: :!:

Sorry about that. Getting a bit carried away there, but its hard not to.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hubris

#33 Post by hubris » Wed May 11, 2005 1:14 am

tracker wrote:Hubris has a special blunt that he saves for using on sleeping bags that are still full after sunup. :wink: :lol:
hahaha... yes, I brought it out for my neighbours cat the other day since it was stuck up a tree and the poor little thing couldn't get down on it's own :lol:

Actually, in my new hammock, I'll be sleeping in also 8)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Hood

#34 Post by Hood » Wed May 11, 2005 7:32 am

If I get up early I get up early if I dont I dont. Just all depends on the night before :wink: And if some mungral does anything to me just remember I don't get made I get even and also payback is a bitch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

New2bows

#35 Post by New2bows » Wed May 11, 2005 9:42 am

Actually I'm an early riser :D :D Especially when there's game around :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Can't wait!!

Rory

Mick Smith

#36 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 11, 2005 2:46 pm

I always get up early, usually before daybreak, but I'll tell you what ..... I wont be game to upset anyone, what with all those bows lying around and all. :shock:

Actually one of many the things that will make this trip great is that there is no itinerary telling us what to do. We will just do as we please. 8)

Jees, Jindy, I hope that camping spot is really big, cause the way we're going it gonna need to be. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Sparra

#37 Post by Sparra » Fri May 13, 2005 8:05 pm

Gaday Mick...Do we have an exact location yet???

Mick Smith

#38 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 13, 2005 8:32 pm

G'day Sparra,

Congratulations on winning the tomahawk auction mate!

As far as a location is concerned, Jindydiver has found out about a top spot near Corryong. Its close to various hunting locations, including good areas for sambar, goats, rabbits, foxes and wild dogs. Last I heard from Jindy, he was going to do some more research some finer aspects of the location. It has a good camping area with water and all weather access.
Actually Sparra, the location should suit you pretty well because its nearer your part of the world than others within the Australian Alps that we were considering.

As we get closer to the big day, but still within plenty of time, each and every interested Ozbow member with receive a PM containing a topographical map, instructions and directions regarding the location.

Well before the big day, I intend to do a little reconnoitreing, sniffing out potential problems and getting to know the lay of the land. No point waiting until everybody turns up on the big day and trying to sort out problems after they have happened. Not that I don't trust anyones judgement, more a case of ensuring everything happens without a hitch. I am really committed to ensuring this thing will be 100% as good as it can be. I'm planning a quick trip up there within the next month or so.

If anyone wishes to make suggestions or comments as to potential locations there is still time for them to be considered. The site has been arranged, but its not set in concrete just yet. By the sound of it, it would have to be pretty good to rival the one we have in mind.

Look forward to seeing you there!

Mick

jindydiver

#39 Post by jindydiver » Fri May 13, 2005 8:41 pm

Mick
I have been a bit side-tracked this last few weeks but I just have a couple of calls left to make to be sure of our legality in the various spots near our camp and then we can get moving.

I may be down that way next month and if I am I will have a look around. I will be in touch so we can work out a couple of details and we are away and racing. :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#40 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 13, 2005 9:25 pm

Mick

Sounds good mate. No worries. :wink:

Mick

Mick Smith

#41 Post by Mick Smith » Mon May 23, 2005 9:14 pm

Just an update about the Hunt. Jindy has been doing a lot of checking with various people about the legalities, game available, maps and you name it, to do with our big October hunt location. :lol:

I'm happy to say everythings looking

REAL GOOD

We have authoritative reports of a high sambar population, with recent reports of wallows and game seen. There's plenty of wild dogs too and goats and other ferals available. Jindy has accessed all sorts of goodies, including maps and park boundaries. 8)

I just want to say how much I appreciate Jindy's involvement in this project. Without you mate, we could well be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. :?

Thanks mate :!: :!: :!:

Everyone who has expressed an interest in this hunt will be PM'd with all the latest information well before the date. If you're interested in becoming a part of this, what will surely become a historic event in Ozbow history, its never too late. :wink:

Mick

Sparra

#42 Post by Sparra » Tue May 24, 2005 5:16 pm

Gaday Mick...sounding good mate...Is it only for Ozbow members or can others come...I have a couple interested but don't get on the computer and are kids welcome???...
Regards...Sparra

hubris

#43 Post by hubris » Tue May 24, 2005 5:36 pm

Hey... thanks Jindydiver... good on both of you for all the work in making this happen.

This is really shaping up into something special. :)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

jindydiver

#44 Post by jindydiver » Tue May 24, 2005 5:52 pm

Sparra wrote:Gaday Mick...sounding good mate...Is it only for Ozbow members or can others come...I have a couple interested but don't get on the computer and are kids welcome???...
Regards...Sparra
Me, I don't care whether others come along and kids are welcome too, they are the future of our sport.

I am putting together a package to email out to those that are coming but I am a bit cagey about saying much yet as the info would bring all sorts out to our area (and stuff our hunt).
The contacts I have made in DSE are aware of our special needs and are falling over themselves to help, so I don't want every man and his dog showing up there the w/e before.

In a few weeks (or months, we have plenty of time) I will start a thread where peolple can show their interest and we can get moving on the hunt.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Hood

#45 Post by Hood » Tue May 24, 2005 6:26 pm

Mick and Jindy you to are to good to us i for one can't wait for the hunt.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

erron

#46 Post by erron » Tue May 24, 2005 7:07 pm

Yes, thanks guys, and jindy, if you like I can create a forum that is readable only by those who have signed up to come? Just a thought...

Erron

jindydiver

#47 Post by jindydiver » Tue May 24, 2005 7:10 pm

erron wrote:Yes, thanks guys, and jindy, if you like I can create a forum that is readable only by those who have signed up to come? Just a thought...

Erron
Or Mick and myself can just keep the details close to our chest until a few weeks before (shrug)
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#48 Post by erron » Tue May 24, 2005 7:50 pm

Yeah, sounds better, actually. My over-active brain again :roll:

jindydiver

#49 Post by jindydiver » Tue May 24, 2005 7:58 pm

But your option has a lot of merit

If you could set it up for us we can use it to help those that are confused by any of the issues.
We can keep the discussion very general until people really need to know, and when the time comes the package we will email out will have all the details necessary
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

gundy

#50 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:23 pm

I should be able to make it guys. So will a mate.

I will read through the thread at a later date and get the details, but put me + 1 on the list.

Mick Smith

#51 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:45 pm

Gundy

You were never off the list mate. Looking forward to seeing you and your mate. :wink: Jindy has all the maps you could ever ask for. He's got everything we'll need. All the members who have expressed a desire to attend will receive an information pack including topographical maps fairly soon. :wink:

Its all coming together really well. I'm sure its going to be a truly successful and rewarding hunt/get-together 8)

Mick

erron

#52 Post by erron » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:46 pm

Alraaaaaaaaaaaaaaart!

:lol:

You been practising mate?

Erron

gundy

#53 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:38 pm

Excellent.

Yes mate, today! Shoulder problems occuring however, hmmmm.

stace

#54 Post by stace » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:43 pm

MIck
I should know in the next week or so (hopefully ) if I can make it

I will let you know in due course

Heres hoping

cheers
stace

Mick Smith

#55 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Stace

Sure hope you can mate. :wink:

Mick

spottedbear

The Vic High Country Hunt

#56 Post by spottedbear » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi everybody,
I just came across this last week and my pulse rate went up with a warm fuzzy satisfied feeling, so I'd like to put my name downto be there. :D :!:

Richard

Mick Smith

#57 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Richard :!: No worries mate, we'll send you an information package soon. :wink:

Mick

gundy

#58 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:45 pm

Welcome Richard!

spottedbear

The Vic High Country Hunt

#59 Post by spottedbear » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:05 pm

Thank You for that. When do I start stalking the postie - mid July ? Or will it be email?

Richard.

jindydiver

#60 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:08 am

G’day Richard, and welcome.

A bit of an update.

I have received a package of stuff from the lovely Debbie at DSE (who it seems is taking pity for “that bunch of guys who think they have a hope of taking a sambar with a bent stick“ :) ), and I am scanning the parts of the maps we can use and doing research into the areas features. Debbie also put me onto a forestry supervisor (and the tale she must have told him has also led him to take pity on us) who rang me with some great local info that will have some of us seeing sambar.
I am geo-referencing the scanned maps into my mapping program (OziExplorer) so that I can use the maps with a GPSr. If anybody wants to bring their GPS to the w/e so they can download their tracks and waypoints to the maps is welcome. I have the cabling for the Magellan Meridian range but I don’t have one anymore for the Garmins, so if someone can bring one along that would be great.

So far I have over 20 megs of info and before the end of the month I will have added to that so the e-mail option is probably out for some guys, so I am going to burn the stuff onto discs and mail it.

I have been chatting with Mick Smith about the info I have been getting from the locals, and we are keen to get the maps and things out to the members who are going, but the specific scouting info that is being relayed to me will be kept close to the chest until right before the w/e. I don’t know how others will feel about this, but I (and Mick S’ also) would be very disappointed to find that somehow all the leads we have been given were used by someone else in the months leading up to the hunt, and were then useless to our members on the w/e.
(And great leads they are too. The forester guy is a deer hunter and tells me he has seen some excellent deer in these spots, and he is happy to share his info with us, and only us. I suspect he is willing to share because he has hinted that he feels we have little chance of taking “his” deer because we are trad bowmen. I hope we can prove him wrong.)

At the end of the month we will need the addresses of the members that need the info (and phone numbers too) so we can send the info.

I hope all this is fine with you guys.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln