The Victorian High Country Hunt - 1-3 October 2005

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

#181 Post by Sparra » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:32 pm

You feeling confident up against the pig Mick....I don't know if anyone has a big camp oven but we may be able to get a camp stew going..I have a frozen bit of deer I'll throw in and a few dried packets of vegies so we'll see what happens.....and the VB always fits in Mick...
Regards...Sparra

Hood

#182 Post by Hood » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:16 pm

Sounds great we have a steel pig at our club as well, will be fun.

MickS as for fuel I worked it out last night it's gonna be a about a 2200km round trip for me :(
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#183 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:30 pm

Mick

Look at the positive side. At least after you've paid for the petrol, your other expenses will be minimal. It will still be a cheap trip compared to some.

Once you see our smiling faces, you'll know it was all worth it. :shock:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#184 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 pm

I've been thinking Mick, would it be any advantage for you to drive to Geelong, leave your car at my place and then go with Erron and I up to Corryong. It would mean that I would have to leave the Suzuki at home and take the Commodore, but I don't think we would miss out too much by not having the Suzuki 4WD at the hunt. There would be other 4WDs there to run us out to the starting point for a hunt, if necessary.

Let me know, if you're interested. I'll be leaving at about 2pm on the Friday at this stage and picking up Erron in Melbourne. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Hood

#185 Post by Hood » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:49 pm

Thanks for the offer Mick.
Only thing is that I need to buy my deer hunting license that day is there any where around your area that I can do this before arriving at your place??
Also do ya think your gonna get all our gear in your dunnydoor? or do you have roof racks?

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#186 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:37 pm

Mick

You could buy your deer licence at anyone of a number of towns on the way. Colac, the next city to the west of Geelong has an office where you could buy it, I think.

No mate the commodore doesn't have roof racks. It's just an ordinary VT sedan. We'd have to travel pretty light. I could fit all my gear into one rucksack, if needed, apart from my bow and stuff.

I'll send you a PM about any details. The feasibility of the idea depends on how much stuff we will be taking. It's only a couple of nights, so we don't need all that much gear. The boot's pretty big. The bows would ride in the passenger compartment along with the overflow of gear that won't fit in the boot.

Mick

Hood

#187 Post by Hood » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:58 pm

Cheers Mick I'll think about it to and get back to you after I sus out the viability of it for all of us.
You may need the extra room on the way back for all the venison you'll be taking home :P

Either way I'm happy.

Sparra

#188 Post by Sparra » Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:36 pm

Gaday fella's...I went down today and picked up the steel pig and I have made up a boogy board butt that is about 600mm x 60mm that I will take so if anyone else was bringing a butt and was pressed for room I will have one there..
Regards...Sparra

Mick Smith

#189 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:29 pm

On ya Sparra! :lol:

A butt made from a boogy board...thats a good idea. :wink:

I dunno about the steel pig though. What is it? Does it have a hole where the vitals are, but if you're slightly out with your aim, your arrow smashes to pieces on the steel? It certainly sounds challenging, with severe repercussions for a "wounding" shot. :shock: It sounds like fun though. :D

Mick

Sparra

#190 Post by Sparra » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:36 pm

Yoy got it in one Mick...Bring some old arrows with ya.... :wink: :wink:

Hood

#191 Post by Hood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Sparra does this pig have the vitals in sections that are added in till there is just a small hole.

At our club we start with 3 arrows each shooting from 20m, if first arrow goes through great stop shooting. Once all have either got an arrow through or smashed all 3 the next piece is put in reducing the target hole size. Start shooting again if first arrow goes through great if not shoot second or 3rd arrow and so on till the last piece is in place. Who ever is left with arrow/s in one piece move back a couple of meters each time until we have a winner.
Make sence?

Either way I'm happy.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#192 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:39 pm

Make sence?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! :shock: :lol:

Jeff

jindydiver

#193 Post by jindydiver » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:52 pm

Mick

You aren't telling us you are going to go shooting those beautiful new arrows you are making at a steel plate :shock:
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#194 Post by erron » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:56 pm

so if anyone else was bringing a butt and was pressed for room I will have one there
- good man Sparra! I will try to bring mine, but we (Mick, Mick S & me?) may be pressed for room :?

Erron

Sparra

#195 Post by Sparra » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:05 pm

No Mick...It only has one hole but we can just keep moving back...No problems with the butt Erron...
Regards...Sparra

Mick Smith

#196 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:16 pm

I've just given all my old arras to my boy. I cut most of them down to his draw length. I've only got my favourites left, but I could bring a few of my older practice arrows. :? If I break them (and I surely will), I'll have to make some new ones. :wink:

Mick

Hood

#197 Post by Hood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:02 pm

Jindy I may look stupid but I ain't crazy enough to shoot my nice woods at a steel pig (unless it's a real pig with lead shot in it's ass). I'll be using some old cut and shut carbons.

Erron dont' stress about not having enough room as I'll be heading over on my own as MickS has to be back Sunday night for work on Monday and I have been granted leave by the minister for war and finances till Monday so I'm going to make the most of this trip as I don't know when the next one will be.

So MickS thanks very much for the offer of travelling with you and Erron.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#198 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:39 pm

Anytime mate. :wink:

Mick Smith

#199 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:04 pm

Well. I've been practicing like hell in the backyard. I've got this nightmareish image of all my good arrows lying broken at the base of a steel pig. What's even more scary is that after all this practice, I now know that image will almost certainly become a reality. :shock:

I hope that pig has a gigantic hole!!! :D

Mick

Buford

#200 Post by Buford » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:06 pm

grab youself a half dozen 9mm tas oak dowels from bunnings and stick some judo's to 'em. :wink: won't break them on a steel pig, i've tried. :D
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Mick Smith

#201 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Good idea :D I might even put some empty .38 cases on them for points. :wink: Real cheap. :D

Mick

Mick Smith

#202 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:06 pm

OK fellas, we're getting close to "D" day now. This time next week we'll all be sitting around the campfire telling tall tales about how we nearly bagged a huge sambar or a monster billy goat. :D

If anyone needs or wants a lift, please let it be known on this forum. There will be members travelling in from all points of the compass, so a ride shouldn't be a problem. 8)

I've been spending the day sorting through my gear, trying to decide what's going and what's not. I'm laid up with the flu at the moment. I'm almost certain I will be fully over it before next weekend. I bloody hope so anyway!! I'm still hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to give a few bunnies a scare.

I think there will be about 12 or so of us camped, nice and snug, next the the creek, next Friday night. I for one, am sure looking forward to it. 8) Dunno about the steel pig though. :?

For anyone still wanting maps emailed to them, it's not too late. Just let me know.

I want to remind all members travelling to the VHCH, it could be a busy time on the roads with school holidays. Please drive carefully, we need all our traditional bowhunters in one piece. :wink:

I'm looking forward to seeing you there. :D

Mick

Sparra

#203 Post by Sparra » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:12 pm

Iv'e been sorting my gear and I seem to have more than when I went up north for 3 weeks....

erron

#204 Post by erron » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:01 pm

I'm into totally headless chook mode now. Will have to call you to discuss early this week, Mick, is that okay? Think I have enuff arras, umm, what else?

:shock: :? :o :oops:

Erron

Buford

#205 Post by Buford » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:15 pm

Erron,

My Dad gave me some advice once for times like these......

1. Slow down. It will only take a second longer.
2. Stop worrying about what you haven't done and look at what you have, the rest will present itself.

and 3. No matter how broke a situation seems to be, there ain't nuthin sticky tape can't fix. :D

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Mick Smith

#206 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:24 pm

Erron

:lol: No worries. I'll send you a PM.

Mick

Hood

#207 Post by Hood » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:51 pm

BAD NEWS

Well guys much to my disapointment I may not be able to go to the VHCH. Just got a phone call from the people that I've been getting my work from and told that they have no more work and not to come in tomorrow, as the company they get their contracts from have gone into recievership. So they can't pay the guys I work for and therefor they cant' pay me even for the work I have already done last week. So I don't even know how we are gonna put food on the table this week let alone me coming over for the hunt :evil: :x :( :cry:
But there is always hope so we are praying hard that things work out.

Either way I'm happy.

Sparra

#208 Post by Sparra » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:01 pm

One down...how many to go?????
Bad luck there Mick but dig deep mate..If ya make it over I'll even shout you some beers...VB that is...Of those that are going who is staying until monday????
Regards...Sparra

jindydiver

#209 Post by jindydiver » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:15 pm

I will be there from friday lunch until tuesday lunch.
Bit of a shame you can't make it Mick. Looks like the weather is going to be kind to us too.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#210 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:42 pm

Mick I hope your financial situation works out in a beneficial way. I'm sure that in the long run, it will.

If this means you won't be able to make it to the hunt, that's a real setback. I know you were planning a hunt earlier this year that didn't pan out either. It would have been nice for you (and us) to have been able to compensate you for that, by enjoying a few days in the high country by way of a consolation prize. It seems not even that will be possible now.

What a bummer!!! :(

Mick