The Victorian High Country Hunt - 1-3 October 2005

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

#151 Post by erron » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:50 pm

Good on you Mick!

:wink:

Erron

Mick Smith

#152 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:32 pm

We're getting pretty close to the big day now. Only twenty four sleeps. :shock:

What sort of camping setups have you blokes got? Big tent, little tent, swag, camper, sleep in the back of the wagon?

I will be set up so I can either sleep in my one man Macpac hiking tent or in the car. That way if I get too tired on the way there on Friday night, I can just pull up in a truckstop or somewhere for a kip. Actually, with the passenger seat laid back flush with the back seat, it's pretty comfortable, but still not quite long enough for my short legs though. :? Once I get there, I'll probably set up my trusty little tent. I'll be bringing my tarp, complete with poles, ropes and pegs in case the weather turns nasty. A folding table and chair may come in handy. I'll be travelling light though, bringing my lightweight bushwalking gear, cause I'm going to need lots of room in the Suzi for all the game meat on the return journey. :roll:

I'm practicing with just one bow and set of arrows to ensure, as best I can, my accuracy is up to the task. My broadheads will be scary sharp.

I'm really looking forward to it. I reckon it's going to be a magic weekend. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Sparra

#153 Post by Sparra » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:02 pm

Gaday Mick...I'll have my swag and will sleep in the back of my truck...do you know if there are bbq's where we are going???I'll throw a plate in just in case and I'll have the usual stuff like esky and beer etc...anyway I'm sure between us all we will have enough gear...see ya there...
Regards...Sparra

Hood

#154 Post by Hood » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:03 pm

Swag for me and tarp over the top.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Pete

#155 Post by Pete » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:23 pm

G'day,
I'll just throw in my Swag, my esky and my dog....better leave the dog at home and just take my bow(s). i usually take a small bike tent to throw my gear into aswell. plus the usual stuff, camp oven, billy folding table etc.

I might make up some bow-birds too. I dont know what with but i'll work it out. should be a bit of fun.

:D

Pete F

Mick Smith

#156 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:30 pm

Pete

These "bow birds", do they inflate? :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Pete

#157 Post by Pete » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:36 pm

check this out! looks like fun.
http://www.huntingfootage.com/data/520/ ... al_Fun.wmv

Pete F

Hood

#158 Post by Hood » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:52 pm

Ok to all you Mexicans in Vic. :wink:

Looks like Pete and I wont' be travelling together to the hunt due to his other commitments befoer hand.
So am wanting to know if where we are going is 4X4 only access or what?
As I'll be driving the commodore over. And if it is 4X4 access only is there anyone that I could hitch a ride with from their place to the hunt and then back to their place. I'm willing to share the cost of fuel and driving as well.
Incase you don't know I'm coming from Adelaide.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

jindydiver

#159 Post by jindydiver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:24 am

The campground is on a main road and if you don't want to go driving on dirt you will have to carry your gear just a few hundred metres. :)
This was on purpose for exactly this reason, not everybody has a 4wd and this is a weekend of fun with like minded individuals, with the real chance of some great game taken. Anybody with the will and the ability will be able to loose an arrow at all manner of critters very close to our camp, and any 4wd action can be organised with car pools to the harder hunts. I am sure that even the most fit of our number will find hunting to challenge them, and we also have hunting to suit the biggest of couch potatoes. No special equipment (4wd and such) is needed to have a great time, just your bows and a fun attitude, and I am sure we can all bring those. :D
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

erron

#160 Post by erron » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:46 pm

If I can’t get the car that weekend, I’ll bring what’s supposed to be the next best thing to a 4 wheel drive: a hire car

:D

Erron

Mick Smith

#161 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:56 pm

:lol: I don't think not having a 4WD will be a problem. There's good hunting areas within walking distance of the camp. If you want to start hunting some distance from camp and hunt back towards camp, there's going to be at least a few 4WD owners there and someone will run you out to where you wish to start from. :wink:

From what I can tell, where we start to hunt from and end up will depend mostly on the wind direction and our fitness. As Jindy said the location will be suitable for many different possiblities. 8)

Mick

Sparra

#162 Post by Sparra » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:14 pm

Gaday fella's...Who's going to be there Friday night???I will at this stage but it would be good if there were others so i know that I'm in the right spot...I would imagine there will be others camped there that aren't associated with the group but I hope we can find a spot to set up a target or 2 for a few practice shots....
Regards...Sparra

Hood

#163 Post by Hood » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:26 pm

Sparra I'm gonna try to get there Friday around lunchtime or a little later in the arvo sometime, as I need to stop in somewhere on the way to get my deer hunting license.

How safe will my car be sitting in the carpark for a couple of days??????
Depending on the terrain between the carpark and camp I might try and get the dunnydoor to the camp site atleast.

Either way I'm happy.

Sparra

#164 Post by Sparra » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:49 pm

Well Mick I'll see ya there...From what Jindy wrote you will be able to drive right to the camp with no prob's...
Regards...Sparra

jindydiver

#165 Post by jindydiver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:13 pm

I will be there on the friday from mid arvo at the latest.
You will be able to park in the camp. Sorry if I was vague on that??
I imagine that our guys will be in and out of the camp all day and so our gear will be safe as it can be.

Mick
The office a corryong will be able to process a licence app' for you and your reciept is as good as a licence for the hunt. Just ask for Debby (yes that is how it is spelt), she knows what is going on and will help you out.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Hood

#166 Post by Hood » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:29 pm

jindydiver wrote:I will be there on the friday from mid arvo at the latest.
You will be able to park in the camp. Sorry if I was vague on that??
I imagine that our guys will be in and out of the camp all day and so our gear will be safe as it can be.

Mick
The office a corryong will be able to process a licence app' for you and your reciept is as good as a licence for the hunt. Just ask for Debby (yes that is how it is spelt), she knows what is going on and will help you out.
Cheers for that Jindy :D

Either way I'm happy.

Hood

#167 Post by Hood » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:21 pm

Well I'm almost set just need to finish my arrows and then I'm as good as there. I have got one more clear coat to do then the cresting can be done :D so far so good, they are looking sweet.
I'll have the 5 arrow bow quiver and an arrow tube with spares in it straped to the backpack :P
Can't wait 8)

Are there toilets at the camp site or do we need to bring a shovel?

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#168 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Mick

Jindy knows better than me, but as far as I know there are toilets at the camping spot. I believe there are fire places too.

You'll have to post some piccies of your finished arrows mate! :D

Mick

erron

#169 Post by erron » Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:03 pm

Mick,

did you get my email? If not i can resend...

Erron

Hood

#170 Post by Hood » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Erron if your asking me, no I did not get an email from you.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#171 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:32 pm

If any members who are coming to the VHGH, want the full information package that contains lots of topographical maps of the whole area, all you have to do is send me a PM quoting your email address and I'll email it to you. I will have to send the info in segments to avoid overloading your email account. That way you can progressively save it to a disc and then delete the email, allowing more space for the next segment.

I will still be bringing photocopies of topographical maps to the hunt, but they will only cover a very small area compared to what's on the full information package. You may wish to decide on the areas you wish to print up and bring along, rather than rely on my judgement. By receiving the package you will be able to fully preview the whole area for yourself and pick out where you would like to hunt. :wink:

I can't send the package using the Ozbow email system because to my knowledge, it won't accept attachments. I will need your direct email address.

Just one warning though, if you're on dial-up it will take for ages to download. It will be worth it though. :D

Not long to go now fellas. :shock:

Mick

Hood

#172 Post by Hood » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:42 pm

Gee I love my broadband :D

Either way I'm happy.

jindydiver

#173 Post by jindydiver » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:44 pm

I could also mail out a disc to anybody with dial-up. It contains all the maps and scans of some sambar articles from Guns and Game that pete sent me. For those with Oziexplorer I can include the .map files as well, just let me know.
Just PM me your details and I will get it out to you.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#174 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:06 pm

It's all happening ladies and gentlemen. :D

I think we should be able to set up some kind of practice range for some impromptu shooting. Does anyone have a portable butt they could fit in and bring along to the hunt that we could use for this purpose?

Another alternative might be to simply use a natural bank, something like the creek bank as a natural backstop for arrows.

Or we could just bring a few Judos and shoot stumps or whatever.

Only seventeen sleeps to go. :shock:

Mick

Hood

#175 Post by Hood » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Sat up last night with the map and worked out my best (shortest/quickest route) to get there.
I'm looking at getting to base camp around 2-3pm (after a 10 odd hour drive
:shock: )

Either way I'm happy.

Sparra

#176 Post by Sparra » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:25 am

Well with a bit of luck I should be there and set up by then Mick and I'm sure there will be a cold beer ready for you...Oh thats right...you'd have to lower yourself to drink a VB!!! :wink: :wink: Just remember it's better to get there a little later than to over do it with the driving....
Regards...Sparra

erron

#177 Post by erron » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:15 am

Does anyone have a portable butt
- I thought everyone did! :? Oh wait, I see!
:lol:
Yeah Mick, I have a light, commercial, and very good target (not butt, but) that will take broadheads. Easy to bring along… if you can fit it in?

Erron

Mick Smith

#178 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:34 pm

Yeah mate I reckon we'll fit it in OK. :lol:

Mick

Sparra

#179 Post by Sparra » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Not long to go fella's...It might be a good idea to bring a few old arrows with you...I'll go down to the club on the weekend and see if i can get the steel pig to test ya skills...any way...counting down...
Regards...Sparra

Mick Smith

#180 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:12 pm

A steel pig mate? OK, I'm not used to the club scene. Should be interesting. :D I think my arrows will be pretty safe though. :D

I'd say we will be having a few BBQs at the hunt, so remember to bring lots of meat in your esky. Of course you'll need to leave a bit of room for the VBs too. :wink:

I reckon we could have a bit of fun with some Judo arrows around camp. I also take a Judo or two anyway, even if it's just for the odd practice shot while actually out hunting.

I'll be packing my smallest spinning rod and a few lures. We'll be camped on a pretty little trout stream. I don't know if I get a chance to use it, but I know if I don't take it, I'll be wishing I had.

I think we'll need a fairly warm sleeping bag. It could be cold up there, particularly if there's a southerly wind blowing straight down from the snowy mountains.

It's going to be a long drive for most of us. It will cost more than we anticipated with the ridiculous petrol prices. We may be slightly uncomfortable, roughing it in camp. But, I'll tell you what, it will be bloody worth it!!! 8) 8) 8) :lol: :D :wink:

Mick