The Victorian High Country Hunt - 1-3 October 2005

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

tracker

#61 Post by tracker » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:23 am

Good deal fellas. This is shaping up to be a great weekend. :D

Thanks for all the work you are putting into this Jindy. It is MUCHO appreciated.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

gundy

#62 Post by gundy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:01 am

Jindy, and to all others that are going to great lengths to get this together, kudos to you all!

Great job!

erron

#63 Post by erron » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:15 am

Yes, Jindy & Mick, thanks a bunch fellahs!

And Richard, welcome to Ozbow!

Erron

spottedbear

#64 Post by spottedbear » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:20 am

Just got back from a 3 day bushwalk and am blown away with your kind welcomes.Really appreciate all the work going into this event and that warm glow inside is warmer-can hardly wait for Spring.Where to do we send the personal contact info ? Richard:wink:

jindydiver

#65 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:31 pm

Just a thought for you guys.
If you want to hunt sambar then you need a license. The license can be downloaded and printed out here.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B ... m+v5-1.pdf

This particular form has to be filled in and sent by the end of the month. I am sure there will be another to use after that, but no sense in waiting.

If you want to hunt sambar (and there will be plenty of opportunities where we are going) then you must have this license.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

memo

#66 Post by memo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:47 pm

To all,
Sorry Jindy, but there is sense in waiting.
If you are not going hunting sambar in the next fortnight, get the licence after June 1, as your liscence will expire on 31st Dec 2006.
If you get one before June 1st, It will expire 31st Dec 2005.
so....

From 1 December 2004 to 30 June 2005: - Short-Term licences are issued for the period ending 31 December 2005.
- Long-Term licences are issued for the period ending 31 December 2007.

From 1 July 2005 to 30 June 2006: - Short-Term licences are issued for the period ending to 31 December 2006.
- Long-Term licences are issued for the period ending 31 December 2008.

Just thought i'd give you the heads up :wink:

jindydiver

#67 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks for that memo, I hadn't noticed the dates except where it said "this form is for use before june 30".

Either way guys, you need to make sure you have the licence before the hunt w/e if you intend to hunt sambar.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Hood

#68 Post by Hood » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Where can I get the licens application form from Jindy?

Dahhhhh didn't read your post properly Jindy :oops:

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Hood

#69 Post by Hood » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:59 pm

Jindy the link wont open for me?????

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

Buford

#70 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:12 pm

Geeze Mick, :roll: you and compooters just don't get along eh? :P :lol:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Hood

#71 Post by Hood » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:40 pm

wrc.555 wrote:Geeze Mick, :roll: you and compooters just don't get along eh? :P :lol:
Nup hate the frigg'n things. :evil:

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#72 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:04 pm

Our High Country Hunt is coming along very nicely. Thanks to Jindydiver, we have a fantastic all weather bush camping location complete with some amenities. We have hunting locations that offer real chances of coming face to face with sambar, wild goats and other game species. We've got our dates all sorted out. Thunderbirds are go. 8)

There's only one thing that's not clear in my mind at this stage and that's what sort of ancillary activities do we want? Even the keenest hunters wont be out hunting all day every day, beside there's the evenings to consider. Do we just play it by ear? Whereby any activities are spontaneously occurring, this concept appeals to my sense of adventure, but maybe we would be better off to have some activities organised beforehand. :?

What do you fellas think? If we want to be organised in this regard, what sort of activities would you like to see? :?: :?: :?:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

coach

#73 Post by coach » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:19 pm

On the "Mudgee Meet " I organised a running boar shoot and a longbow comp ,, ask Jindy ,, it was fun! The campfire activities take care of themselves ,, drinking and talking ,, just watch out if Jindy practises his Akido on ya ,,, ya might end up getting tipped outta ya chair! :wink: :lol: :lol:

New2bows

#74 Post by New2bows » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:13 pm

Mick,
I rekon that coach is on the money when he says that the 'around the campfires' stuff will take care of itself, especially after a few k's in the hills!

That said, I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest in the making of stuff and associated trad tips and techniques :D

rory

Big Dan

high country hunt

#75 Post by Big Dan » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:06 am

Count me in. What better way to spend a weekend than crashing through the bush with a bent stick. Look out Sambar.
...Everything with which a man amuses himself is vain except three (things): a man's training of his horse, his playing with his wife, and his shooting with his bow and arrow. (Muhammad, Messenger of Allah, Peace be upon Him. From Abu Dawood)

jindydiver

#76 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:26 am

Ok Guys. I have a bunch of scanned maps and I am adding some more this w/e. I will get these out to anybody who is coming and for those that use GPSr’s and use OziExplorer I have referenced them and will include the .map files as well.

The info will include the camp site location, but after some though about it Mick S and I decided that the specific scouting info that is being relayed to me will be kept out of circulation until a short while before the hunt.

For people with broadband, could you just PM me your email address and I will send the files out to you that way (after this w/e there will be 30 megs or so) and for people without broadband, could you PM me your snail mail address and either Mick Smith or I will mail you a cd-rom.
If you live close too, or have regular contact with, another member who is after the info, could you try to coordinate with them to share the info so that we have less to mail out. I love helping out and have plenty of time to do the leg work on this, but I don’t have the spare cash to mail out 20 or more cd’s.

Now all we need is for someone to make a running boar target. :wink:
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Buford

#77 Post by Buford » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:01 pm

why don't you just give out the camp site location and give the specific details when they arrive?

Pete

#78 Post by Pete » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:50 pm

G'day,
I dont know if anyone has put this on here yet but heres the DSE's game book. might be worth a look if you aren't familiar with our vic laws. :D

The game guide:
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B ... 2001279D7/

where you can hunt. have abrowse around for more useful info.
http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dse/nrenrt.ns ... EA00241987

cheers,
Pete F

jindydiver

#79 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:00 pm

Thanks for putting those up pete. The vic' hunting laws take a lot of reading to understand, and they always say in their guides to ring or call into the local DSE office and get the latest, so you don't know if what you are reading is realy applicable to where you are hunting or not.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Pete

#80 Post by Pete » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:24 pm

Jindy, Very true mate, but its a start.

The minimum requirements for hunting deer with a bow is:
22.5kgs (about 50kgs) draw weight for longbows recurves and peak weight of compounds. and 36.6kgs for X-bows.

You must use a broadheaded arrow, with a miniumum of 2 sharbened cutting blades with a minimum weight of 25grams. i'm not sure what that is in grains but someone had told me it was 385grains. but i'de check with someone that knows.
Really, i'de expect most hunters would be shooting more than that anyway, should be good.

and another good website for planning your trip is:
http://journeys.racv.com.au/
go along the top bar to 'MAPS' and you can get driving directions. just put in where you're coming from and where you're going and it will plot out a route and give you, travelling time and dsitance. theres also town maps and other helpful stuff.

cheers,
Pete F. :D
Last edited by Pete on Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buford

#81 Post by Buford » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:28 pm

Pete wrote: You must use a broadheaded arrow, with a miniumum of 2 sharbened cutting blades with a minimum weight of 15grams. i'm not sure what that is in grains but someone had told me it was 385grains. but i'de check with someone that knows.
cheers,
Pete F. :D
231.485375 grains :wink:

http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/

Pete

#82 Post by Pete » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:40 pm

meant to be minimum of 25grams instead of 15 :oops:
25gm = 385.808959grains

Pete F

clinglish

#83 Post by clinglish » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:27 pm

This looks great, I appreciate the effort that has been put to organise it .
You can definetely count me in .

Hood

#84 Post by Hood » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:41 pm

clinglish wrote:This looks great, I appreciate the effort that has been put to organise it .
You can definetely count me in .
Clinglish thats one hell of a drive for you mate, hope you got a few extra days of work for the drive.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#85 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:38 pm

wrc.555 wrote:why don't you just give out the camp site location and give the specific details when they arrive?
Matt

We could do that if people prefer. We thought that if we all had access to the full array of maps of the area, we could simply print up the maps we deemed necessary on an individual basis. It would also save us having to buy new colour cartridges for our printers after printing up heaps of maps. :roll:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

clinglish

#86 Post by clinglish » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:37 am

Hi ,
I won't be driving that far as I will be living in Victoria by then , But I am certainly looking forward to hearing some of the hunting tips and tales , and I may even get the opurtunity to hunt , and make some new friends.

Mick Smith

#87 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:23 am

Clinglish

You're more than welcome mate! See you there. 8)

Mick

Mick Smith

#88 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:40 am

Some of us will know some others at the hunt. Some of us may suspect we know some others by sight, but will not be too sure. Other faces will be a complete blank for most of us.

Do we want a system whereby for the first day or so, we all wear name tags? It could be handy. It could make it easier for everyone. I could bring some self adhesive paper labels and a texta. It could be easily done.

What do you think? :roll:

Mick

jindydiver

#89 Post by jindydiver » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:08 pm

I don't think it will be too much of a problem Mick, I posted a week ago to ask people to PM me their details so we could get the info off to them when it is ready and so far I have a grand total of 1 person coming.
We add you and me and I am sure we can remember names.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#90 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:37 pm

COME ON YOU BLOKES GET YOURSELVES INTO GEAR!

If you're coming to the hunt, please PM either Jindydiver or me. We can either post the info on a CD to your home, or we can email it to you. Just bear in mind if we email it to you, it may overload your outlook account, but if we do it in stages it should be OK. Maps take up a lot of memory.

You will receive a series of topographical maps and information. If you prefer we can just provide you with a location of the camp and you can pick up copies of maps there. Once we're all there, we will supply the final information of where game has been sighted. Of course you will be able to do, hunt and go as and where you please, Jindy has sourced this information purely as a service to you in an effort to enhance your chances of success.

So, its all happening right now! Please send your PM's to us, quoting either your postal address or your email address. We'll get the information to you. It will be easier for us to send the bulk of this information off to you in one large effort initially, but we will continue doing so right up until the big day.

Mick