Trad Easter shoot in isolation for everyone

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

little arrows

Trad Easter shoot in isolation for everyone

#1 Post by little arrows » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:17 pm

I started this on the Travellin' Round the Trads Facebook page and thought there are still people who don't do Facebook so why should you miss out.

I received a phone call from Roadie today, he was “just touching base” as he puts it. He had an idea for those of us who were going to attend his White Rose Archery Klub Inc Birthday weekend shoot, which had been cancelled and wanted to run it by me. So I listened carefully and took a few notes… shoot in yard… dinner plate…. 12 arrows…. 8 targets….. beer carton…. 20 metres….send scores for me to tabulate…………and I threw a few back at him… A4 sheet… 3 lots of 4…. 5, 10 maybe 15 metres………… ok we had a plan for his birthday shoot.
Then I threw him a curve ball, can I take his idea and upscale it for everyone to share and participate in, for the easter weekend seeing as his May shoot was still 8 weeks away, whereas Easter is only 1 week away.

So here we go.
Attached to this thread you will find 3 pdf files and as it is Easter, they are all Rabbits (free clipart courtesy of google search)
• Print 1 for each distance of 5, 10 and 15 metres.
• There is a centre marked which is scored as 10
• Rest of body is 5.
• Shoot 4 arrows per person at each distance = 12 arrows in total to be submitted – you can choose whether to shoot 4 in a row or alternated with others that may be with you.
• If you don’t like your first 4, shoot another 4, the holes in the background will tell a story too
• Take some photos and put it in this thread
• You can have a couple of practice shots using the ears on each sheet for a bit of extra fun, no pressure of course 8)
• Do the 3 distances on Saturday and again on Sunday if you want to.
• Please add a story or even just a few words, as I’d like to add this to my article in Archery Action next edition as how the trad archers got through the Covid-19 archery course lockouts.
• Please let me know if you don’t allow me to use your notes and photos.
• Come on get involved everyone.
• As they keep saying – We’re all in this together, so let’s do something together.
• There’s no trophies, let’s share in the fun.

I look forward to seeing how we all do, have a go on Friday as well if you like.
Thank you Roadie for allowing me to take your initial idea and to share it with everyone for an Easter shoot, seeing as the Easter shoot has been cancelled.
Have fun everyone. I know this house will.
Cheers sue
rabbit4a.pdf
(354.73 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
rabbit2a.pdf
(225.15 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
rabbit1a.pdf
(204.91 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

little arrows

Re: Trad Easter shoot in isolation for everyone

#2 Post by little arrows » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:18 pm

also from the FB post I did this morning:
We were wondering how many arrows we can actually get into the circle in one go - yeah ok, we're rather optimistic here, so there's another idea.
Also a lot of hunters I know say, the score zone should be in the head so you don't ruin the meat. There's another idea. Please feel free to improvise. It's the photos, ideas, quips, and little stories that will make this. We'll have our own individual trad shoots. Tell your friends, the more the merrier.
cheers sue :)

flyonline

#3 Post by flyonline » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 pm

I'm in all going well.....(use any text or photos if you like Sue)

Printed out a couple of copies and grabbed my 'boo backed cypress board bow which I've been shooting lately for a few practice shots. It's super quiet and nice and quick, perfect for stalking the humble bunny. I didn't have a full set of 4x tuned arrows, so I tried a few combos I though would be close and shot a few sets of 4 at 15m.

IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2522.JPG (391.06 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Down range
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2523.JPG (388.6 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
First group
IMG_2524.JPG
IMG_2524.JPG (250.2 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Second group
IMG_2525.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG (229.67 KiB) Viewed 5132 times
Third group

By now I was a little frustrated with a few squirrely arrows, so a bit of tinkering and going in circles ensued until I remembered that these nocks were smaller for a thinner FF string, so a quick re-fit and they were good to go. It were getting cold and windy, so I double checked arrow flight inside and called it a day. The 'stick 'n' hope' method of holding the printout up wasn't really up to the weather so I'll have to come up with something a little more solid.

Arrows were full length GT Trads in 340 with 100gr brass insert, 50gr brass collar and 125gr field point giving a total weight of ~670gr and 4x 3" feathers. Was a little surprised I didn't get full passthroughs though, rabbits aren't that tough :lol: :lol:

Steve

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:03 pm

thanks very much Steve. Now you can do it again next weekend too. Also stay tuned for some more targets.

cheers
sue

flyonline

#5 Post by flyonline » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:28 pm

Managed to get out at the end of the day, weather was.....unhelpful, showers and strong winds. After last w/e shambles with a soggy target block and wet paper, I taped the printout to the side of a box and put my kick-target (soccer ball stuffed with 1.5 pool noodles) behind the 10 ring.

First bunny I spied was resting among some rose bushes, a nice little 5-6m 'chip' shop, but like a lot of these easy shots that we don't practice, it ended up costing me somewhat, first shot through the ears, second just through the head and the final two were back on target with one just grazing the inner 10 ring, and the other an arrow width away. (3x 5, 1x 10)

IMG_2549.JPG
IMG_2549.JPG (207.75 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Second bunny was hiding in under a hazel bush (hmmm, hazel shafts anyone?), with a stiff crosswind making aiming a little difficult. Even with the 4x 3" feathers a stiff wind will weathercock them to some extent at 10m. First shot was a hair off, with the remaining three grouping all around the first but not one through the 10 ring :cry: (4x 5)

IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2550.JPG (287.96 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Final bunny for the day was warming itself in some pin-rushes in what was left of the sun in the late afternoon. First shot was a little off, missing altogether before I got one through the bottom of the 10 ring, with the final two bracketing it either side. With the rain starting to fall again, I quickly grabbed the box and headed inside to make some homemade pizza for 10 with my 5yr old :dance: (3x5, 1x 10)

IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG (239.01 KiB) Viewed 5052 times

Bow: Same boo backed cypress #50 from last w/e
Arrows: GT Hunter 500 full length, with 100gr brass insert, 50gr brass footing and 200gr field point for total weight of 610gr

Steve

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:23 pm

thank you so much Steve I will certainly be using your little tales along with photos. So stay tuned for full story.

cheers
sue

flyonline

#7 Post by flyonline » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:49 pm

I did get out chasing the 'easter' bunny yesterday as well. The weather was much kinder, almost perfect shooting weather with sunny and calm conditions - no excuse for a less than stellar round (damn!).

Started in reverse order this time, with the 15m target first. First was a little off but the second was straight into the 10 ring, the third was a good 'foot chopper', and the 4th, well it might been hard of hearing after it had a hole punched through it's ears :lol: (3x 5, 1x10)

IMG_2552.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG (243.98 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

The 10m bunny was only a few steps away under an olive tree (co-incidentally the only one that's got any fruit this year). First shot straight into the 10 ring :dance: Second, well lets not talk about that one and the third wasn't much better before the last shot brought it home with a hit through the hind legs. (2x 0, 1x 5, 1x 10)

IMG_2553.JPG
IMG_2553.JPG (291.86 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

Last on the chopping block was the 5m target, with all four shots grouped in ok, just not enough to hit the 10 ring, Unfortunately, one of the arrows was a write off, a glancing blow cracked open the wall 1/4 of the way back from the tip. Good reminder to check carbon arrows before every shot :cry: (4x 5)

IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG (291.88 KiB) Viewed 5006 times

Thanks Sue, I've saved the targets for another day :lol: