English warbows- QLD shoot

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterguy1991

English warbows- QLD shoot

#1 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:20 pm

Evening all,

For anyone interested in the historical medieval side of archery, myself and a group of friends, all avid archers and some history buffs, will be running a shoot for English Warbows on Saturday the 5th of March. I am waiting on approval from the Abbey Museum in Caboolture, QLD to use their site as our venue however I have a back up venue close by should that fall through.

This is open to anyone interested in coming along and watching some stupid heavy bows send small trees into orbit and talking all things archery and medieval history. Or even shooting if you have one of these bows and arrows and want to see just how far they do shoot.

Send me a Pm if you have any questions at all and I will try my best to answer them for you.

I will update info on the venue when I know more.

Cheers

Colin

perry

Re: English warbows- QLD shoot

#2 Post by perry » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 am

Looking forward to this Colin

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

hunterguy1991

#3 Post by hunterguy1991 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi all,

Just a little update for the shoot on the weekend. it will be being held at the Abbey museum in Caboolture an will commence at 3:00 in the afternoon and run until dark, or we get tired, whichever comes first :)

The Abbey museum asks for a small fee of $5 per person for the use of the venue, which I thought was entirely reasonable.

It will be a BYO food and drink event, Though I will not be permitting any alcohol during the shoot at the Abbey. Want to make good first impressions since I intend on making this a regular event.

At this stage we will be shooting a roving round of 6 or so targets and then a distance shoot to establish some records and then maybe a wand shoot to finish up with a small prize for the winner.

the roving round I will allow any archer to participate (bows of any draw weight allowed) as I want to get folks into the sport. The distance shoot will be strictly for warbows, 75lb and up. Wand will be for all bow weights.

Hoping to make it a fun arvo of shooting with lots of laughs and archery/history talk.
Any questions, just ask.

Cheers,

Colin

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#4 Post by Outbackdad » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:12 am

Hope to pop in for a look.

:Bow

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:48 am

Morning Folks, well you all missed out on a real Treat. I learned so much from Colin, Jake and Warwick yesterday. Colin and Jake shot Bows ranging in Draw Weight from 110# to 140# and Warwick was shooting the Baby of the group at 80#. The 80# acquitted itself very well against the 100 plus pounder's. Just amazing standing there and watching just what goes into Shooting a Warbow. One thing to watch it on a Video and to read about it but to stand feet away you really begin to appreciate the raw power the bigger Bows transmit.

Jake was visiting from Canada, good Fella and very knowledgeable. If only I had of seen this 20 Years ago - would love to have worked my way into Making and Shooting these monster Bows and impressive Arrows.

Next I wanna see a 100# plus Asiatic do it's work !

I'll do my utmost to get to the next afternoon, you gotta come along Folks

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#6 Post by Outbackdad » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:11 pm

A great afternoon shooting arrows.
Will try to get to the next one as well.
Eddie

hunterguy1991

#7 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Massive thank you to all that attended the shoot yesterday!! Especially those that had a decent drive in and back just to participate. It was an absolute pleasure meeting some new faces and showing off something I have become quite passionate about! Hope to have more archers and a heap more spectators at the next event.

I decided to split the bows into a couple of weight classes, under 100lb and over 100lb (just to keep it simple) and all laminates for the time being. ( I really need to get a hold of some big staves!!)

We shot 5 different arrows based on archaeological finds and re creations ranging in weight from 54g "standard" up to a 90+g heavy war arrow.

Warwick managed some impressive distances and as always shot very consistently with his 80lb bow, his longest shot a very respectable 154 yards with the standard.

Jake and myself chose the 140lb bow for our shooting and a little competitiveness was evident immediately!!! In the end, after a couple of swaps of the record I managed the longest shot with the standard at 213yards and the longest of the day with an arrow I created 2 days prior weighing in at 55g, going 216 yards.

Jake is holding a couple of the Aussie records a this stage so I will endeavour to make a trip over there and pinch a couple of his Canadian ones one day in the future...

We also shot a "wand" round which Eddies son Lewis took out, splitting an inch and a half pole at about 20 yards.

Again, I would like to say a huge thanks to everyone that came along and made it such a great afternoon. See you all at the next one I hope!

Colin

hunterguy1991

#8 Post by hunterguy1991 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Evening all,

Just wanted to put this up so that anyone interested could see some video and photos from the shoot we had in March.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC8swmMvv90

The video was put together by Jake as he does with all the shoots he attends and a massive thanks goes out to him for making it!

Hope you all enjoy.

Colin

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 am

Well done,looked like fun

perry

#10 Post by perry » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Cool Video Colin, thank Jake for us will you. Was a good afternoon and I look forward to the next one.

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin