Target recurve bows with metal risers??

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Target recurve bows with metal risers??

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:07 pm

I know the rules for trad events are determined by the hosting club, but generally speaking, target recurve bows with metal risers are permitted to shoot, (minus sights and stabiliser, etc) aren't they?

The reason I ask, a member from my club shoots one of these bows and he has been practicing his bare bow skills. He knew that I liked to attend trad shoots and he said that he would like to attend one in the future, but he didn't think his bow would be acceptable. I said that I though it would be okay, for most trad shoots, but now I'm having second thoughts. It's not an ILF bow. It's an old 40# target recurve bow with a metal riser.

I should know this, but for the life of me, I can't remember. I've never really paid attention to these sorts of bows. I don't want him to turn up, only to get turned away.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

Re: Target recurve bows with metal risers??

#2 Post by little arrows » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:44 pm

Metal risers are fine, as long as no stabiliser, no sights and no plunger button. They may have a little difficulty shooting quickly from an elevated rest.

cheers
sue

Ian Turner

#3 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Suzie,
What sort of rests would be OK?
I have a 30+ years old Martin TD Recurve that my brother gave me; its a metal riser and wood/glass limbs but i was wondering about being able to shoot it in trad events as i need to use a rest and wondered what sort of resty i could use and still be OK.
Cheers
Ian

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:03 am

Thanks Sue. I thought that was the case, but then I started to have some doubts.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Suzie,
What sort of rests would be OK?
I have a 30+ years old Martin TD Recurve that my brother gave me; its a metal riser and wood/glass limbs but i was wondering about being able to shoot it in trad events as i need to use a rest and wondered what sort of resty i could use and still be OK.
Cheers
Ian