Why don't people post photos of shoots anymore?

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Why don't people post photos of shoots anymore?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:12 pm

With a few notable exceptions, there appears to be an almost total lack of photos posted on Ozbow following trad shoots these days. Why is it? In previous years there were always photos, posted by various members, after most shoots.

I know it's difficult to shoot and to take photos at the same time, but you can still take a few. If 3 or 4 attendees then posted their photos up, we would then have a reasonable coverage of the event. Agreed, It's a slight hassle to download the photos into your computer and then to resize them and then to post them up, but it's worth doing as a service for your fellow Ozbow members, IMO.

I find these latest trends to be very disappointing. I always very much look forward to seeing the photos of any trad shoot. It's the next best thing to being there. It's also a great way to promote your club's shoot and to increase attendance levels next year.

It's not hard to drop a compact camera into your pocket and to take a few snaps, is it? There appears to be fewer and fewer members who are even willing to pass on their thanks to the hosting club and to make general comments about trad shoots.

As I said before, why is it so?
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

The Hunt

Re: Why don't people post photos of shoots anymore?

#2 Post by The Hunt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

You aren't supposed to have cameras or phones Because of the ability to use either as a ranging tool. Besides who has time lol too busy having fun shooting and carrying on.

Trad Bound

#3 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Mick people are posting on Facebook :surprised: They are use to that format easier than downloading to a forum.

The Hunt

#4 Post by The Hunt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:32 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Mick people are posting on Facebook :surprised: They are use to that format easier than downloading to a forum.
Good point, the functionality on social media is much more user friendly and interactive.

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi Mick,

You and greybeard have both said the same thing about each group taking even just a couple of photo's each. As C said our group has way too much fun, although Steve takes a couple every now and then except at Hinterland as it was tipping down on Saturday - and Sunday the camera was tucked away dry in the vehicle. What you need is to hire a Mr Tradbits. He tells us he doesn't eat much... :lol:

cheers
sue

Trad Bound

#6 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:46 pm

Try this not many yet my camera is being used at the moment I will dowload when I get a chance.
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 824259555/

So 2014 ish hey

mikaluger

#7 Post by mikaluger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 pm

I will post a few that I have......... :biggrin:

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Mick people are posting on Facebook :surprised: They are use to that format easier than downloading to a forum.
Thanks Tony. I thought there must have been some reason that I wasn't aware of. I don't go on Facebook. I suppose I should look into it. Personally, I'd still like to see the photos here on Ozbow, afterall this site represents our recreation more than any other Australian site. It's a place where the majority of trad shooters would interact.
little arrows wrote:Hi Mick,

You and greybeard have both said the same thing about each group taking even just a couple of photo's each. As C said our group has way too much fun, although Steve takes a couple every now and then except at Hinterland as it was tipping down on Saturday - and Sunday the camera was tucked away dry in the vehicle. What you need is to hire a Mr Tradbits. He tells us he doesn't eat much... :lol:

cheers
sue
Hi Sue. It's true, we have a heap of fun during a trad shoot, especially when you know your team members fairly well. You can poke rubbish at them when they miss and generally have a ball. It's very easy to forget about taking photos. I planned to take a lot more photos than what I did at Lilydale, but I just kept forgetting to do it. The trouble is, I know how much I look forward to seeing the photos from other shoots, so naturally I like to reciprocate in return.

The Hunt wrote:You aren't supposed to have cameras or phones Because of the ability to use either as a ranging tool. Besides who has time lol too busy having fun shooting and carrying on.
I don't think I've been to a trad shoot where anyone would even think about the possibility anybody using a camera or a phone for ranging purposes. I haven't seen anyone take it that seriously. I'd say that at least 90% of all competitors would carry their mobile phones on the course with them. Modern mobile phones take excellent photos.

It looks like I'll just have to accept the state of affairs. At least Mark Tradbits is doing more than his fair share in this regard and this gives me a lot of enjoyment. To me, it feels like the end of an era. :sad:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:01 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Try this not many yet my camera is being used at the moment I will dowload when I get a chance.
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 824259555/

So 2014 ish hey
Thanks Tony, but I can't see them, because I'm not a member and I can't logon to Facebook. Maybe I'll have to join up.

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 pm

mikaluger wrote:I will post a few that I have......... :biggrin:

:biggrin: 8)

Trad Bound

#11 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Go on Mick lash out and join the New World.......

Stop the presses Mick is now on Facebook and accessing Lilydales fb

GrahameA

#12 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:41 am

Morning Mick.

This is bound to cause some spirited debate,
Mick Smith wrote: ... there appears to be an almost total lack of photos posted on Ozbow following trad shoots these days. Why is it? ...
First up I say, " 'Big Julie' you're not". (And for all those who don't relate to that comment ask Mick.)

A short reply and then, perhaps, a longer reply. ( You both need and deserve to suffer for daring to open the Pandora's Box.)

The question is simple the reply is not so simple. The present is a time when there has never been more Cameras and it has never been easier to take photos.

Concurrently, there has probably never been as many poor photos taken and the "value" of photos has plummeted. Go to any event and there is a squillion people taking photos ...... most will be rubbish, most will never be viewed, most will never be printed and most will be condemned to the Digital Garbage Tin.
Mick Smith wrote:... Agreed, It's a slight hassle to download the photos into your computer and then to resize them and then to post them up, ...
No, it is not! I forcefully/vigorously even with some 'gusto' disagree. It is neither hard nor a 'hassle'. It is simple and quick .... even using a 'Dial-Up' connection.
Mick Smith wrote:... It's also a great way to promote your club's shoot and to increase attendance levels next year. ...
Agreed. However, that is based on the premise that 'Clubs', Associations and individuals want promote and want to increase their numbers.

I need to go and make a Tea so I can write a much larger reply just to annoy you. Have a good day, Mick. :D
Trad Bound wrote:..... Stop the presses Mick is now on Facebook and accessing Lilydales fb
Yes, increase the price of Mark Zuckerberg's shareholdings.

Facebook .... a blight on society.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Mick Smith wrote:
...... I'd still like to see the photos here on Ozbow, afterall this site represents our recreation more than any other Australian site. It's a place where the majority of trad shooters would interact.
Mick I agree, and as far as social media goes [Facebook etc.] I avoid them like the plague.
The Hunt wrote:You aren't supposed to have cameras or phones Because of the ability to use either as a ranging tool. Besides who has time lol too busy having fun shooting and carrying on.
Maybe with ABA, 3DAAA etc. but I have never heard of it as being an issue with trad shoots in the last sixteen years.

I believe mobile phones can be useful if an emergency situation occurs during shoot hours.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#14 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:53 pm

After Daryl.
greybeard wrote:... as far as social media goes [Facebook etc.] I avoid them like the plague.
May I suggest that the popularity of "Social Media" etc. may take a hit over the next few weeks when people start to realise that "The Cloud" includes a bit more than just the odd photo or two.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:40 pm

GrahameA wrote:Morning Mick.

I hope it does Grahame. I think most people like to read reports and see the photos of other trad shoots, yet many of these same people don't appreciate the fact that if they don't put some effort in themselves, to reciprocate the favour, then the whole cycle will all fall in a big heap. If we want to see the reports and photos of the various trad shoots then we must post reports and photos of our own shoots.

Ozbow is the logical place where reports and photos should be posted, IMO. I enjoy looking back at the various shoots of years gone by. It brings back happy memories for me. It's a great pity that many of the old photos are now gone, but hopefully that disaster was just a technical one off. As I mentioned previously, I believe Ozbow is the main meeting place for trad archers in this country, therefor it should also be the main repository of photos as well. Grahame was right when he said that it doesn't take much effort to post up some photos. It only takes a few minutes.

I've heard it said that trad shoots are currently facing ever diminishing numbers of competitors. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, I think we should all be trying to do everything we can to improve the situation. We should be actively promoting trad shoots and hopefully inspiring others through reports and photos.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just common manners to thank someone, whether it be a club or an individual, when they've gone out of their way to make your life more enjoyable. The way I see it, if you can't post a few photos, for whatever reason, then the very least you can do is thank the hosts for their efforts. Even these sorts of posts are becoming rarer and rarer. It's a lot of hard work to host a trad shoot and this effort needs to be recognised and acknowledged. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:50 am

Hi Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:
GrahameA wrote:Morning Mick.
I hope it does Grahame. I think most people like to read reports and see the photos of other trad shoots, yet many of these same people don't appreciate the fact that if they don't put some effort in themselves, to reciprocate the favour, then the whole cycle will all fall in a big heap. If we want to see the reports and photos of the various trad shoots then we must post reports and photos of our own shoots.
I suggest that people stand back a bit and look at the whole issue. (I am looking at this as a long term member of OzBow 9.5 years and you have been a member here for a month longer and we both have seen it from the Admin side.)

Let me put forward the proposition that people don't care and they will continue not to care until it is gone and suddenly they miss it.

You have raised the question so lets see what sort of response/result it has had.

Ozbow has (according to its numbers) 2080 members. On top of that there are the people who are not members and just look at things. Of that let us say 20% are active, that is roughly 200. Of that active 200 there have been 5 people who were interested enough to make a comment ..... 6 if we include you.

So those who care in the smallest amount represent around 3.5% of membership.

That is not a lot of people who actually want to get photos and "news". Why would sane people bother?

Let me try looking at this from another tack.

There are 3 large Archery Associations and one small (TAA). How many of those Associations actively encourage photos of their activities? From my viewpoint ABA does through the magazine Archery Action. 3DAAA ? Archery Australia - well it has a policy that discourages photos at events under its direct control. TAA? This suggests that the bodies are not that interested. It does not get any better when you start looking at sub-sections.

At Club level ... there are a few Clubs who do.

As an example of things have you ever looked at the Archery Hall of Fame site and how little is there. Go on be daring and click on the link and be flooded by the pictures ... http://www.aahofm.org.au/

Lets look at the none-associated/independent groups/forums. From my viewpoint that boils down to Archery Forum and Ozbow.

Archery Forum has a section especially for Trad - and it has a miniscule group that is slowly growing. That leaves Ozbow - and you know the scene there.
Mick Smith wrote:... Personally, I'd still like to see the photos here on Ozbow, afterall this site represents our recreation more than any other Australian site. It's a place where the majority of trad shooters would interact. ...
It was and it would make some sense if it was. However (and here is the controversial bit) does it want to be?

Does that paint a bleak picture?

Well I would suggest it is even worse if we look at photos and reporting on the bigger scale.

How many people can you name who actually do some form of reporting across all of Australia Archery - both domestic and International? I cannot name 5.

How many people can you name who take reasonable/good photos of Australian Archery in all its forms? I can name 2. (I would suggest that learning about what makes a good "archery" photo is not something you learn in a few minutes.) I have seen some brilliant photographers take photos of archery yet they come take a few and then go.

Here are couple of examples:

Australia recently had a couple of young Archers representing Australia at the Youth Olympic Games. How much have you seen about it? Have a read here to see how little comment, etc. there has been http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... post392242 and if you don't follow other media you could be forgiven if you were unaware that event even occurred.

Meanwhile a few more Australians had headed off to the other side of the world for the World Field Championships. Once again people could be forgiven if they missed it. http://www.archery-forum.com/showthread ... mpionships

This is becoming depressing. I will call an end there and go and do something more pleasant.

A bright in the dismal world of sport/archery and media https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4djutqCJt8

An extra bit because it something that people may wish to consider.
Mick Smith wrote:... It's a slight hassle to download the photos into your computer and then to ...

Consider this.

Would a person, as a person taking photos, ever want to post a poor photo? If yes well .... If no then would it not be a little smarter to download the photos, look at them and then make any changes before you put them out there for the world to see.
Grahame.

Mick Smith

#17 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:29 pm

GrahameA wrote:
Let me put forward the proposition that people don't care and they will continue not to care until it is gone and suddenly they miss it.

Archery Forum has a section especially for Trad - and it has a miniscule group that is slowly growing. That leaves Ozbow - and you know the scene there.
Mick Smith wrote:... Personally, I'd still like to see the photos here on Ozbow, afterall this site represents our recreation more than any other Australian site. It's a place where the majority of trad shooters would interact. ...
It was and it would make some sense if it was. However (and here is the controversial bit) does it want to be?

This is becoming depressing. I will call an end there and go and do something more pleasant.

Hi Grahame

I think some of the problems stem from the fact that Ozbow has lost a few valuable members who regularly posted up reports and photos of every shoot they attended. I presume these members have either temporarily or permanently lost their interest in archery. Members have always ebbed and flowed. Perhaps when it comes to what we're discussing here, we're in a more of an ebb situation at the moment.

In my mind, the glory days of having page after page of photos after each shoot are gone forever. I feel it is the end of an era and I feel the loss. I'm especially thankful to the few Ozbow members who still make the effort. I feel certain that the use of social media for this purpose is not the alternative, as the access to this medium is restricted to 'friends' and many photos and reports posted on the likes of facebook are simply not viewable to the majority of trad archers.

Your mention of the official Ozbow stance in this matter is interesting. There have been some recent events in which I felt there was a distinct push to move away from the trad shoot aspect of traditional archery by some of our admin people. Perhaps I'm just imagining this, but even so I still find it very disturbing, as trad shoots are so important for future of trad archery in general. We can't all be bowyers and we're not all hunters. I feel it's very important to remain as inclusive as possible, regardless of where the interests of individuals might lay.

We seem to be the only two people still discussing this matter Grahame. I'm beginning to feel like a grumpy old man with an axe to grind. Indeed, for me it is also time to go and do something more pleasant.

Scrub Bull

#18 Post by Scrub Bull » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:17 pm

The reason that I did not post a lot in the last few years is, busy with the shop, trying to improve my shooting, this forum is not the easiest place to post large numbers of pictures. ( it just the way the software is not much we can do about that)
So to fix this, I don't take the shop to shoots any more, my shooting is at a point where I am happy with it so I take more pictures now, get admin rights to this site and find a new way of posting the pictures.
In the next year I hope to have a lot more pictures up here. Working on a few projects like doing 360 panos of every Trad shoot camp ground so everyone can see what the camping is like.
Thanks Mick I got that idea from you when I asked here as to what people wanted to see.
I think Sue was doing an article about the Gympie shoot for archery action with some of my photos, there is a bit of PR for Trad Archery.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Mick Smith wrote:Your mention of the official Ozbow stance in this matter is interesting. There have been some recent events in which I felt there was a distinct push to move away from the trad shoot aspect of traditional archery by some of our admin people. Perhaps I'm just imagining this, but even so I still find it very disturbing, as trad shoots are so important for future of trad archery in general. We can't all be bowyers and we're not all hunters. I feel it's very important to remain as inclusive as possible, regardless of where the interests of individuals might lay.
Mick, I think you are mistaken. Mark has only recently set up a special Trad Shoot Photo hosting section on Ozbow where his Gympie Trad Shoot photos are stored for people to view.

Even more recently there is the special 2015 Trad Events Calendar that has been placed on the site. There is a link to it on the front page of the site.

So, as you can see, there has only been positive additions to the Trad Shoots section of Ozbow.

Jeff

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Evening Mick.
Mick Smith wrote:... There have been some recent events in which I felt there was a distinct push to move away from the trad shoot aspect of traditional archery by some of our admin people. ...
I concur.
Grahame.

Mick Smith

#21 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Mick Smith wrote:Your mention of the official Ozbow stance in this matter is interesting. There have been some recent events in which I felt there was a distinct push to move away from the trad shoot aspect of traditional archery by some of our admin people. Perhaps I'm just imagining this, but even so I still find it very disturbing, as trad shoots are so important for future of trad archery in general. We can't all be bowyers and we're not all hunters. I feel it's very important to remain as inclusive as possible, regardless of where the interests of individuals might lay.
Mick, I think you are mistaken. Mark has only recently set up a special Trad Shoot Photo hosting section on Ozbow where his Gympie Trad Shoot photos are stored for people to view.

Even more recently there is the special 2015 Trad Events Calendar that has been placed on the site. There is a link to it on the front page of the site.

So, as you can see, there has only been positive additions to the Trad Shoots section of Ozbow.

Jeff
It's good to hear that Ozbow is fully supporting and promoting the trad shoot scene Jeff. I knew of Mark's efforts in this field of trad shoot photography and I applaud them. I wasn't aware of the addition of the special trad shoot photo hosting section though. I'll have to see if I can find it, even though I've already seen Mark's excellent photos of the Gympie trad shoot. I also knew about the new and improved 2015 trad events calendar, once again thanks to Mark.

I think my doubts (and perhaps the doubts of some other members) of Ozbow's full commitment to trad shoots crept in during a recent thread about "what is a traditional arrow', where Dennis outlined his views of what Ozbow was all about. Trad shoots and trad shoot rules didn't seem to be on the agenda at all. It's certainly a relief to hear that I must have misinterpreted Dennis's comments and that my ill conceived impression relating to the lack of Ozbow's commitment to this important area of our recreation has turned out to be definitely not the case at all.

I have never really doubted your personal commitment to this aspect of trad archery, even though I realise that you don't often attend trad shoots these days. Your involvement in the formation of The Longbow Muster and its rich history are proof enough of that.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I wasn't aware of the addition of the special trad shoot photo hosting section though. I'll have to see if I can find it, even though I've already seen Mark's excellent photos of the Gympie trad shoot.
I probably got you bamboozled with my comments there Mick. Mark set up a special section in the background of the Ozbow web site where he could load his photo albums. You are able to view these albums via the links he has placed in the Trad Shoot threads.
Mick Smith wrote:I think my doubts (and perhaps the doubts of some other members) of Ozbow's full commitment to trad shoots crept in during a recent thread about "what is a traditional arrow', where Dennis outlined his views of what Ozbow was all about. Trad shoots and trad shoot rules didn't seem to be on the agenda at all.
I think he was meaning that Ozbow (as an entity) was not involved with hosting any Trad shoots or formulating any rules for such shoots. Discussions by the members about such rules does take place in the forums of course.

I hope that makes things more clear. If not just ask.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#23 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:35 pm

No, that clears it up nicely thanks Jeff.

GrahameA

#24 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 am

Morning Mick (and Jeff).
Mick Smith wrote:I think my doubts (and perhaps the doubts of some other members) ... ... Trad shoots and trad shoot rules didn't seem to be on the agenda at all.
The impression I clearly got (and at least 2 others) got was that Trad Events and Trad Rules were definitely not on the agenda. It is not a comment on commitment, etc.

Re: http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 2&start=27

Meanwhile I am off to shoot a few arrows.
Grahame.

DavidM

#25 Post by DavidM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Graham

That’s certainly the impression that I, an quite a few others got as well :confused:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:04 am

GrahameA wrote:The impression I clearly got (and at least 2 others) got was that Trad Events and Trad Rules were definitely not on the agenda. It is not a comment on commitment, etc.
Grahame & DavidM, If this quote of Dennis's below is what you are referring to, I see mention of not being interested in what shoot rules clubs and associations use but little more than that. :roll: I suggest you reread Dennis's post.
Ozbow has absolutely no interest in how the various archery shooting organizations define their trad archery, so we do not understand why you are arguing that point on this forum.
Jeff

GrahameA

#27 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Hi Jeff and David.
DavidM wrote:That’s certainly the impression that I, an quite a few others got as well :confused:
Yes. It appears that a few got that impression.
Stickbow Hunter wrote:
GrahameA wrote:The impression I clearly got (and at least 2 others) got was that Trad Events and Trad Rules were definitely not on the agenda. It is not a comment on commitment, etc.
Grahame & DavidM, If this quote of Dennis's below is what you are referring to, I see mention of not being interested in what shoot rules clubs and associations use but little more than that. :roll: I suggest you reread Dennis's post.
Ozbow has absolutely no interest in how the various archery shooting organizations define their trad archery, so we do not understand why you are arguing that point on this forum.
No. Rather it was the the "tone" of several posts. I would suggest that in this case perhaps you may be interested in reading all of the posts and consider how others may have taken it. Several people have said they took it in a different manner than what you are stating.
Grahame.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#28 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 pm

I didn't read it the way you and some others have taken it.

Surely the promotion and coverage that Trad events get on the site would indicate that you were mistaken.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#29 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I can't work out what all the fuss is about unless I missed something in the interpretation. :confused: :confused:

If you read 'Where we stand' it states the objectives of Ozbow.net

Remember this is a forum to discuss traditional archery and associated activities, it is not an archery body formulating 'Rules of Shoot' etc.

"This Is Where We Stand

The first archer carried a bow for survival. The weapon served in both defence and offense against enemies; it supplied food. His descendant, sheltered by the relative safety of the city, relies on bookish education and social skills to live. The first archer endured harsh conditions and lived only as long as he skillfully deployed the complex set of survival arts passed to him by his teachers. This is not conjecture: we have only to read of the Otztal Iceman to appreciate the fickle and hostile nature of the environment our forbears faced.

Ozbow is about Traditional Archery. It is dedicated to the unbroken line of archers stretching back into antiquity from whom we derive our knowledge, be that skill in the hunt, or in the simple pleasure of making some or all of our own equipment.
It is a site for those who feel our modern world has taken away some things that were essential. The embrace of technology has entailed a loss of everyday 'handiness'. We easily cope with electronic gadgetry that confounds earlier generations, yet lack familiarity with the simple things that once attached humans to the cycle of life: lighting a fire, catching a fish, crafting a bow from a wood stave, tracking animal sign, taking responsibility for a death that, through proper use, sustains life.
While not dismissing the modern forms of archery related to the compound bow, we choose to carry on the traditions of simple stick and string, use of modern materials notwithstanding. The compound is a formidable weapon, with its own delights in the hands of a devotee, and we extend a warm welcome to non-traditional archers and bowhunters. However, the focus of this site is away from the technology and mechanization of the modern world, and towards that of our past.
It is also about a concept that can seem elusive, and - perhaps consequently - is not discussed as often as it might be: Hunting Ethics. We believe this may be helpfully defined as a code embraced by the hunter who always endeavours to effect a quick, humane kill. It is the belief of the hunter who hunts to experience an intimate connection with nature. This hunter is largely disinterested in 'trophies' and the act of killing has no attraction in isolation from the hunt itself. It is a code further in evidence when the killed animal is used for food, clothing and other non-wasteful ends.

Much is made of the threat posed to bowhunting by various groups, but Ozbow believes both the greatest danger, and the only salvation, lies with bowhunters themselves.

By our actions we are known.

We will endure, as those who passed their knowledge to us endured. We will continue to live the life that is our heritage, and in part, our hope for the future. We will pass on our skills to our children, our friends, and all those who ask. Taking our own place in the line of forbears we will ourselves, forbear.

This is where we stand."

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

#30 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi Jeff
Stickbow Hunter wrote:I didn't read it the way you and some others have taken it.
This is what has been said:

Mick said:
...Trad shoots and trad shoot rules didn't seem to be on the agenda at all....
I said:
The impression I clearly got (and at least 2 others) got was that Trad Events and Trad Rules were definitely not on the agenda.
David said:
That’s certainly the impression that I, an quite a few others got as well :confused:
Given that a number of people have all agreed and state that they have taken the comments in a completely different manner. That may not have been what was intended however it is the way they have been taken.
Last edited by GrahameA on Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.