Jules Shield Lakeside Trad shoot

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

little arrows

Jules Shield Lakeside Trad shoot

#1 Post by little arrows » Mon May 12, 2014 8:20 pm

I was advised by a Lakeside ABA Club member over the weekend, you will not be able to select your own shoot group at this particular event. This event has always been run in this fashion apparently, and just wanted me to let everyone know.

I am sure the flyer will be done shortly.

cheers
sue

The Hunt

Re: Jules Shield Lakeside Trad shoot

#2 Post by The Hunt » Tue May 13, 2014 6:28 am

Last year we selected our own groups but if that's what they're saying it must be the way.

temudjin

#3 Post by temudjin » Wed May 14, 2014 11:36 am

I am a member at Lakeside but it doesn't always suit everyone to be in pre-selected groups. :sad:

I have two kids that I only see every second week - if they will be with me this is enough reason for us NOT to attend.

If your kids were 10 or 12 would you want to know that the group they were with was "safe" for them - Blue cards etc etc.

Anyway, I will hold final decision on our attendance until I know whether the kids are coming with or until Lakeside changes the "rules". I am well past submitting to "rules" that don't suit me. And... no I don't have any interest in fudging scores so the kids or I can win a trophy.

The Hunt

#4 Post by The Hunt » Wed May 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Agree Tom, but I think QLD child safety laws would prevent children under 18 being put I groups without a guardian or the others would all have to have Blue Cards.

From a personal point archery is something we took up to spend time together . Maybe a compromise of shooting with partners kids but mixed up . Still we are not shooting for cattle stations here is it really necessary? Part of archery is the social side of things and catching up with friends. Seems full on for trad archery !

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Wed May 14, 2014 7:14 pm

There was an issue at the Nationals this year I believe where a child (under 18) in a group was sick and then someone from ABA had to go from group to group to find the parent/s...... mmmm.
Not going anyway.

cheers
sue

The krusty

#6 Post by The krusty » Fri May 16, 2014 7:56 pm

We always go in our own group, hope they change their minds or people may not come

little arrows

#7 Post by little arrows » Fri May 16, 2014 8:02 pm

I was surprised when the club member asked me to specifically put something on ozbow, about the club selecting the groups. Even when I mentioned shooting with Steve for medical reasons, he couldn't answer me.

sue

The Hunt

#8 Post by The Hunt » Fri May 16, 2014 8:36 pm

Reality is they cannot do it with anyone under 18 due to QLD child safety laws, they must be with their parent or guardian. As for the rest if us why we can't choose our own groups is taking a stance that they believe score fixing is going on???? Like I said above should be able to shoot with at least 1 person of your choice and the if they must then mix people up. I enjoyed this shoot last year shot with Tracey, Neil's, Ronny, Dale and Lorraine. Out of that group I had never shot with 2 of the group.

The Hunt

#9 Post by The Hunt » Fri May 16, 2014 8:37 pm

The krusty wrote:We always go in our own group, hope they change their minds or people may not come
Agree

scuzz

#10 Post by scuzz » Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Im against the whole 'allocated groups' idea. While some valid points have already been made, i would like to make another.

I had an enormous lack of confidence as a teenager and ABA's ruling for allocated groups only served to make me anxious and uncomfortable. I think anyone who has a 'quiet' child could relate to this and hence see how the allocated grouping could make a shoot less enjoyable for such children.

The Hunt

#11 Post by The Hunt » Sat May 17, 2014 6:43 am

scuzz wrote:Im against the whole 'allocated groups' idea. While some valid points have already been made, i would like to make another.

I had an enormous lack of confidence as a teenager and ABA's ruling for allocated groups only served to make me anxious and uncomfortable. I think anyone who has a 'quiet' child could relate to this and hence see how the allocated grouping could make a shoot less enjoyable for such children.

Yes a good point and another dimension to keeping children safe and comfortable. ! Kids in the least should be excused if not they are breaking QLD law unless people have Blue Cards. Also children are not the only ones who can feel quiet and anxious people naturally choose people they are comfortable with.

timerogersson

#12 Post by timerogersson » Sat May 24, 2014 10:02 pm

What a teacup storm seems to be brewing over whether or not you can make up your own groups. I don't think anyone has contacted the Lakeside committee over this, and has not been in contact with their club coach. I am sure if persons A, B & C wished to shoot together they could be accomodated. As for making up own groups - how do those not in a groupie situation join in a shooting group, and unless groups/target numbers are allocated how do you manage the starting time scramble for Target 1? And at the ABA Nationals is it really practical to form own groups when four ranges of 20 targets each being shot by 400+ archers, with a range rotation after each round, allowing for a variety of different bow divisions to be left in a free for all situation? Surely it's more efficient for groups to be organised for the majority of archers, with those that would like to be together, if possible, to so indicate on the entry form.

little arrows

#13 Post by little arrows » Sun May 25, 2014 7:31 pm

timerogersson, I was specifically asked to put the post on this forum so people were aware of the Lakeside Club decision.
I can also summise from your post you have never been to a Traditional Only event and therefore cannot really comment on the non-group organisation.
Otherwise you would be aware that at the Trad Events, we form our own groups if new people are attending they are absorbed into a group.
There are multiple events, usually all group run or can be club run, and set up and you can start wherever you like, as long as all the events are done and score cards in by a specific time.
Some clubs like to hold only certain events on certain days, order completed is still at groups discretion.
The ABA Nationals is an ABA shoot, not a Trad shoot, they cannot be compared.

cheers
sue

The Hunt

#14 Post by The Hunt » Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 pm

I saw the event flyer on their club Facebook page and it stipulates that you will be put in groups except for cubs which can shoot with parents. by law all juniors under 18 would need to shoot with parents or a group where everyone has a blue card .
Agree with Sue above this is a Trad shoot and is very different just come to one and look at the archers and u can tell that straight away :lol:

timerogersson

#15 Post by timerogersson » Mon May 26, 2014 2:00 pm

I was appraised of the considerable angst in the Trad community, such that it was mentioned at the Lakeside meeting on Sunday 20140525, and I understand the Committee is going to circulate an amended advertising flyer, which will state that you can make up your own groups - this means children can shoot with anyone. You just have to nominate your group structure, if own grouping, to the nomination's office when booking in, & a starting time of 0900 hrs has been mentioned so that all groups may be safely moved onto the ranges simultaneously. The club is hoping this will cover any adverse points raised b4, any the club will get a good turnout. There are many keen Trad shooters at Lakeside, & they are happy to travel to the Gympie & Barambah Trad Shoots, in support of their 'local' circuit.

little arrows

#16 Post by little arrows » Mon May 26, 2014 6:51 pm

that is good news timerogersson, and I am sure it will make a difference to some who may not have attended and only 54 sleeps to go.

Would it be possible for you to put the amended flyer on here please, or could you the the Lakeside person concerned to email me a copy so I can post it on this thread and other websites to swallace@spiderweb.com.au

cheers
sue

The Hunt

#17 Post by The Hunt » Tue May 27, 2014 6:57 am

Thanks great result!

little arrows

#18 Post by little arrows » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Here is the revised flyer for the 2014 Jules Shield Trad shoot plus a map to Lakeside Bowmen Scouts Rd Petrie.
jules2014 trad.pdf
(294.26 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
http://lakesidebowmen.com.au/HTML/map.htm

there are color=#408080]48[/color] sleeps to go.

cheers
sue

splashy

#19 Post by splashy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm looking at attending my first trad event this year - is there anywhere that has the "rules" for these events? Or does each club do things differently? For example, what is a "Stalker" round as mentioned in the flyer above?
Does the description "2 x 15 3D rounds x 2 arrows" mean you shoot two arrows at the target and not one as per a 3DAA?
Thanks
:biggrin:
who? me?

little arrows

#20 Post by little arrows » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi splashy,

yep you shoot 2 arrows at 2 lots of 15 targets.
There is a basic guideline set of rules, however the clubs, be they ABA or 3DAAA put their own slant on the events. The Stalker Round, from what I've been told - is targets set up along a track or sorts, "hidden" I believe, that you must shoot once spotted in a certain amount of time.

cheers
sue

little arrows

#21 Post by little arrows » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm

there are 39 sleeps to go...

cheers
sue

little arrows

#22 Post by little arrows » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:25 pm

25 sleeps to go.

cheers
sue

Peregrine

#23 Post by Peregrine » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:20 pm

I really enjoyed this shoot last year. I'll be there again and encourage anyone considering it to come along.
Lakeside was the first place i experienced the Hunt round. Has been one of my favorite events ever since, I always look forward to it every time i see it on a flyer. If last year was anything to go by, Lakeside had a good mix of targets and a nice course. I met some great ppl that weekend. Keen for round two :)

little arrows

#24 Post by little arrows » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:18 pm

only 15 sleeps to go..

cheers
sue

little arrows

#25 Post by little arrows » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:16 pm

only 9 sleeps to go...

cheers
sue

Ronster

#26 Post by Ronster » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi all, Rons and Sue will be there, but Sue has been in the wars again, shoulder and knee playing up.

She does not put up a good chase anymore :lol: Must be an age thing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

See you all there Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

The Hunt

#27 Post by The Hunt » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:53 pm

Christine (me) will be there Tracey is away for work so I think I will travel up each day as I have to look after our fur babies

little arrows

#28 Post by little arrows » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm

so Ron it means you don't need to try as hard to catch her....... :biggrin:

Christine, gosh another shoot weekend Trace won't be at :cry:

and only 6 sleeps to go... :smile:

cheers
sue

Ronster

#29 Post by Ronster » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 pm

NO Sue, I have already caught her, its just knowing what to do with her now :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

little arrows

#30 Post by little arrows » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Ron, she'll still keep you warm.. :smile:

only 3 sleeps to go. :biggrin:

Hope you have a good shoot.

cheers
sue