goldcoast renaissance faire its a goer

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Shrek

goldcoast renaissance faire its a goer

#1 Post by Shrek » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi all.
The GoldCoast is holding a Renaissance fair on the 3rd & 4th of May at Pratten Park in beautiful Broadbeach on the beach front. Look up www.goldcoastrenfaire.com.
There will be a come and try archery stall for visitors all weekend.There will be a tournament shoot off for the best scores of the beginners/visitors on the Saturday arvo.
A golden arrow will be presented to the winner by HRH Elizabeth the 1st on the village green in front of the huge crowd.
On the Sunday there will be the major tournament of experienced longbowmen I.E. us.The winner will be pesented with the golden arrow as well by HRH Elizabeth 1st on the green.
It should be a heap of fun for all comers and great for you Ego trippers who love a show and a win
If you want to be involved PM me,we need about a dozen archers to really make it a good show.It will be set up as per the shoots of old.
Now heres what you get for coming,Costumes provided,free pass in and vouchers for food and drink for competitors and family but they want you to be prepared to wear your clobber around to add to the theme,a longbow would be the go but we can fit in any bow that looks the part if need be.
Camping will be available at the Hinterland club grounds which is about 30-35mins from the faire,open from Friday arvo.
We need to know ASAP to get costume sizes for you units that are fair dinkum.We need a solid yes I'm in and will be there!
Come up with a good name for yourselves so we can give you a fitting intro ie."Perry of Pestilance" or "Steven of Stiffly"
We hope you can come and join in and give em a good show.See ya there Shrekka

Roadie

Re: goldcoast renaissance faire its a goer

#2 Post by Roadie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:40 am

Ay Shrek, I intend to be there, so count me in to help ya. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#3 Post by perry » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:02 am

Cleveage of Boobdom count Perrence of Pestilence in . Not sure on how I'll go shooting a Bow, messed myself up again Yesterday but each time I do I pull up a little better. I'll email Sizes to you in a short while, they will start with XXXXXFC

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

little arrows

#4 Post by little arrows » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:53 pm

Sir Perrence, I am pleased to see you haven't lost your sense of humour..... :lol:

This weekend certainly sounds like a lot of fun and it's unfortunate we will not be able to attend. :sad: I am sure we would have come up some witty name for me.. :smile:

cheers
sue

The Hunt

#5 Post by The Hunt » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:37 pm

I'm in but refuse to where a costume of that era for a female!

little arrows

#6 Post by little arrows » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:09 pm

:lol: I said the same thing, I ain't wearing frilly fluffy or full. I'd be just as likely to trip over the damn hem... :lol:

perry

#7 Post by perry » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:33 pm

Sue - Tripsalot ring any Bells
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

terryzac

#8 Post by terryzac » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Hey shrek... zac and I will be in... have no outfit though.. have heaps of period weapons though..do we need to shoot selfbows

Roadie

#9 Post by Roadie » Sat May 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Day 1 over, the folks should be Happy with the Day. Shrek, Perry with his little Adze shaping a long bow had a lot of interest in what he was doing. Also found a Great Pie shop at the faire. Looking forward to doing it All again tomorrow. Cheers Roadie.

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Sat May 03, 2014 7:39 pm

glad to hear it's going well.
Don't eat too many pies.... :smile:

cheers
sue

Roadie

#11 Post by Roadie » Sun May 04, 2014 7:47 pm

Day 2 is over, a Great time was had by All. To be surrounded by such Beauty and made a Fuss off, put Joy and Gladness in this Old Soldiers Heart.
A Big Thanks to Shrek and his crew, What a HOOT. The memories will last for a ever. The Girls were not only Beautiful, but exquisite, now I know What we were Fighting for. Cheers Roadie.

perry

#12 Post by perry » Sun May 04, 2014 9:48 pm

The Crew from the Hinterland Bowmen did an impressive Job running the Archery Range and where great ambassadors for Traditional Archery. I had a Ball talking Archery with an interested Public. Grant looked great flitting about in Costume and was a hit with many a Lass - God Bless them, they showed great Form on the Range each afternoon and a couple where very keen to take up Archery as a result of this weekend !

Photo's to follow soon Folks

regards Perry

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Afternoon All.

The event has happened - and I know that it has happened because a couple of people on here have said they did their bit and supported it.

Now apart from the bit of comment on this forum I have seen nothing at all about the event. It really is hard to support such events when seem to be unable to support themselves. Good that Hinterland does its bit - bad that the organisers do not do theirs.

There is my $0:02 worth.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#14 Post by perry » Wed May 07, 2014 6:49 pm

Grahame the Event was poorly marketed and lots of the Public told me they found it by happenchance but they also said they enjoyed themselves and I know the Event Organiser was wrapt with how it turned out. I was left with the impression that next Years Event will be far better Marketed. I don't think the Horse has Bolted with this Event and hope it has a Future

I did not get a chance to take any photo's, hope some turn up soon

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

The Hunt

#15 Post by The Hunt » Wed May 07, 2014 6:55 pm

It was promoted locally through radio and media and channel 9 covered it on the news. Agree thugh needs a bigger promo campaign.

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Wed May 07, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Perry and Christine.
perry wrote:I did not get a chance to take any photo's, hope some turn up soon
Try Googling any news/photos about it.

This a search for the items within the last week so that includes photos from the weekend.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22g ... 8AWA6oLABA

Personally I am very negative towards the organisers, etc. They will scream like stuck pigs about the poor public attendance yet they do nothing to help themselves. Will now get off soapbox.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Shrek

#17 Post by Shrek » Thu May 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Hey there all,I've been absent due to crashed computer. Hoorah I hear you all shout! Well Naives it's my turn to give the renaissance fair a some up.Yes the promo side lacked,but we were blessed with good weather,great food,a wide and varied range of entertainment,such as Fencing,sword and shield fighting and the Archery which stole the show,we had them queued 3 deep on the Sunday. As my two amegos Grant and Jacko put it so much fun was had! A huge thanks to these two Geezers for being with us they helped give Trad Archery a big lift and the amount of interest was very pleasing.The thing I don't get is why so many beautiful ladies were hanging around these two they must have known they were safe around us YE OLDE FARTS.

The Hunt

#18 Post by The Hunt » Thu May 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Shrek wrote:Hey there all,I've been absent due to crashed computer. Hoorah I hear you all shout! Well Naives it's my turn to give the renaissance fair a some up.Yes the promo side lacked,but we were blessed with good weather,great food,a wide and varied range of entertainment,such as Fencing,sword and shield fighting and the Archery which stole the show,we had them queued 3 deep on the Sunday. As my two amegos Grant and Jacko put it so much fun was had! A huge thanks to these two Geezers for being with us they helped give Trad Archery a big lift and the amount of interest was very pleasing.The thing I don't get is why so many beautiful ladies were hanging around these two they must have known they were safe around us YE OLDE FARTS.
Good job shrek!

GrahameA

#19 Post by GrahameA » Fri May 09, 2014 7:40 am

Hi Shrekka.
Shrek wrote:Hey there all,I've been absent due to crashed computer. Hoorah I hear you all shout! Well Naives it's my turn to give the renaissance fair a some up.Yes the promo side lacked,but we were blessed with good weather,great food,a wide and varied range of entertainment,such as Fencing,sword and shield fighting and the Archery which stole the show,we had them queued 3 deep on the Sunday. As my two amegos Grant and Jacko put it so much fun was had! A huge thanks to these two Geezers for being with us they helped give Trad Archery a big lift and the amount of interest was very pleasing.The thing I don't get is why so many beautiful ladies were hanging around these two they must have known they were safe around us YE OLDE FARTS.
I am certain that "The Trad Archery Fraternity" did a brilliant job, that it was a great time had by all and you and your helping friends were great ambassadors for the "World of Trad". :smile:

A quick comment - Archery has been a big hit and point of interest at the Abbey Medieval for as long as I have visited it and that is over a decade.

Anyhow it does not take a great effort by the organisers to arrange for a few photos and a bit of a write up and post it up on their own site - in a timely manner. :x I would expect it to be there the next day. If you put all that effort into getting the event "up and running" it seems very short-sighted, to me, not to tell everyone about it. Soapbox now kicked back under table.

Okay, now for some good news.

Gold Coast Bulletin Photo

Although I have some concerns about the historical accuracy of those two - but its a Ren Faire so one does not expect historical accuracy to be high of the list.

Read all about it in the Gold Coast Bulletin. http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/ent ... 6905944661

Addenda.

Here is why I get so annoyed by these events and the lack of Media reporting on their part.

The other year they got $15,000 grant to assist in runnning the event. http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... and-events And they will probably want a grant again in the future - and I am of the opinion that comes with some public obligations. Tell people how it went.
Grahame.

Shrek

#20 Post by Shrek » Fri May 09, 2014 2:52 pm

You are so right Cap'n 5 Fear not though the man in charge was a Yank so we should be,how do they say?Tolerant, but he got a good score over all and really did appreciate and thank the people involved and took the chew outs on board,so seeyaz next year.

Shrek

#21 Post by Shrek » Fri May 09, 2014 3:04 pm

As for historical accuracy, Fluff on that brother!! Roady and I look Majestic,fearsome and forthright,plus Roady's Alice Cooper/Kiss make up had the girls treating him like a star!! If it wasn't for his walking frame and oxygen tank it would have got medieval for the old fella.

morganp

#22 Post by morganp » Fri May 09, 2014 3:24 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Shrekka.

Although I have some concerns about the historical accuracy of those two - but its a Ren Faire so one does not expect historical accuracy to be high of the list.

Addenda.

Here is why I get so annoyed by these events and the lack of Media reporting on their part.
The other year they got $15,000 grant to assist in runnning the event. http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... and-events And they will probably want a grant again in the future - and I am of the opinion that comes with some public obligations. Tell people how it went.
Now at last you make sense Grahame A instead of just looking like a grumpy old sod (no offense meant, I am one)!
Should have told us in the first place maybe eh? The fun side of things does need to be balanced with efficiency and accountability when spending our hard earned tax dollars butr thank goodness for folk like Shrek and Roadie.

Next time they do this you must go G.A, your posted photos (especially those taken at various meets) have been excellent for years. I'm sure the lads will let you get away with casual instead of period costume. A photographer in tights and feathered cap would be a tad anachronistic.

GrahameA

#23 Post by GrahameA » Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi Shrekka.
Shrek wrote:You are so right Cap'n 5 Fear not though the man in charge was a Yank so we should be,how do they say?Tolerant, but he got a good score over all and really did appreciate and thank the people involved and took the chew outs on board,so seeyaz next year.
If I make the drive down next year and that is a big if ...... I have seen the idiots on the highway ...... I promise I will bring a bow and a camera so there can be some photos of the masses at the Archery.
Shrek wrote:As for historical accuracy, Fluff on that brother!! Roady and I look Majestic,fearsome and forthright,plus Roady's Alice Cooper/Kiss make up had the girls treating him like a star!! If it wasn't for his walking frame and oxygen tank it would have got medieval for the old fella.
Roadie looked hmmm..... okay Majestic will do. As for the make-up they have probably been watching Vikings on SBS.

Yourself for that matter well..... ahhhhh..... hmmmm...... "Errol Flynnish", I am surprised you did not have sparkly bits on that shirt and a wig on the head - just like Errol.

Notice the sparkly bits on the sleeves and the wig on head.
morganp wrote:Next time they do this you must go G.A, your posted photos (especially those taken at various meets) have been excellent for years. I'm sure the lads will let you get away with casual instead of period costume. A photographer in tights and feathered cap would be a tad anachronistic.
No tights on this person, I am happy to wear my stuff as an archer - and take photos if I wander down. Crikey driving down the Gold Coast Highway is taking ones life in ones hands an probably more dangerous that lazing around the butts. In the bigger scheme of things Ren Faires are anything but historically correct - even if they like to pretend they are, The "Abbey Medieval" on the other makes a strong effort to be or at least claims to be. Irrespective, it is all fun.
Grahame.

Shrek

#24 Post by Shrek » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 pm

The organiser is a big supporter of the Abby and didn't want to try and measure up to it but get something different going down here.The drive down G.A. is in itself a test of gumpshun and ability! Treat it like a joust,or a well timed swashbuckling entry into the bad lands of Beamers,Boofheads, Botox and Nerangatangs.A few scars on the way down will give ya some Cred.Be good to have you with us,I'll shout you a worlds best Cornish pastie from Ye Olde Pie Shoppe.