Kryal Castle shoot this w/end! 11 Jan '14 (Ballarat VIC)

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

hotcam

Kryal Castle shoot this w/end! 11 Jan '14 (Ballarat VIC)

#1 Post by hotcam » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:21 pm

KRYAL CASTLE, at Ballarat VIC
are having a trad shoot this weekend, free entry if you are in traditional/medieval dress.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryalcastle
For those who don't like Facebook, it says:
This Saturday & Sunday (JAN 11 & 12) Kryal Castle will host a Traditional Archery Tournament.
Contestants will take part in many skilful challenges such as Speed, Wand, & Target just to name a few - all in hope of being named the Grand Champion.
Free entry for contestants who are dressed in traditional costume on the day and have registered to compete.
Archers can register via email at garethwilson@kryalcastle.com.au or phone 03 5334 7388.

Further info that Vicky got by email:
Registration 10-11.30am Saturday
Longbow and recurve only
Wooden arrows preferred but modern ok, especially if they look wooden
Target points ok if don’t have arrow heads
Dress in traditional garb for free entry – kilt is totally acceptable but required to wear shirt of some kind and undergarments (very windy), otherwise medieval garb
Saturday shoot – Start time 12pm, Speed shoot, Wand shoot, Running boar shoot, Regular target (targets only in 2 colour tho’),
Lunch – BYO or buy from them 2-2.30pm
Presentation for Sat shoot – 6-6.30pm followed by twilight demonstration
Can stay overnight in RV area for no cost
Sunday shoot – (depending on interest) – Through rings shoot, Bell shoot.

P.S. Hi all! Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, I couldn't see mention of it.
I've been real busy with life's ups and downs, sort of disappeared off the scene for some months, sadly.
Hope to get back into it as life settles down a bit. All is fine here though. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my
Traditional friends.

Mick Smith

Re: Kryal Castle shoot this w/end! 11 Jan '14 (Ballarat VIC)

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:25 pm

This is the same weekend as the Ballarat trad shoot hosted by the Ballarat ABA, so the timing isn't good, to say the least. :shock:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Roadie

#3 Post by Roadie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:05 pm

What do you expect Mick when people in the know don't talk to each other, and they think to travel a 100 klms to an event or shoot is a long way. I didn't know about this one, I new about the shoot at Ballaratt ABA, but can't make it this year. Cheers Roadie.

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:46 pm

I wouldn't expect anything different Roadie. :biggrin: I suppose it won't matter much, as archers with different interests will naturally gravitate to the shoot of their choice anyway. Many of the re-enactors would have little interest in attending the Ballarat Bowhunters shoot and probably wouldn't have attended anyway and likewise the vast majolrity of bowhunters would have little interest in getting dressed up in medieval gear to attend the Kryal Castle event. I will still be attending the Ballarat Bowhunters event personally as I have zero interest in re-enacting and I know the Ballarat ABA run an excellent event.

It's still a pity though, as some people will be torn by the decision of which shoot to attend, IMO.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:06 pm

It is rather unfortunate that there are two events in the same town, on at the same time. I guess there may have been some that would have attended both, even with the re-enactment portion.
Oh well never mind - perhaps if Kryal Castle is to be on annually, they may consider another date, perhaps later is January.

Have a great weekend to all who attend.

cheers
sue

wal

#6 Post by wal » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:24 pm

???? guess I'm not in the know, hadn't even heard of a shoot at Kryal Castle :confused: but then again 100 yards would be to far to get me into a pair of tights..................fishnets, maybe :wink:

cheers

hotcam

#7 Post by hotcam » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:48 pm

Oh crud, I didn't know it was the same weekend as the Ballarat club one.
I went to the Ballarat one last year, and it was great.
Mind you, I don't blame Kryal Castle, as the Ballarat Bowhunters facebook page and
website hasn't said anything at all for months, much less announced if they're having a trad shoot.

Roadie

#8 Post by Roadie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:16 pm

That's what I mean, Clubs, Etc need to talk to each Other. I don't have Facebook. so I just ring people who I know to find out what's happening in and around the Traps. Cheers Roadie.

Trad Bound

#9 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm

I guess that is why we have this page to be informed :surprised: :surprised:
What a good idea :idea:

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm

and then there is the Trad Events post done reasonably early, showing possible dates for all Trad shoots, until confirmed, so everyone can plan there year. :neutral: - I can not put on events I do no know about, my crystal ball is broken....

cheers
sue

LadyLongbow

#11 Post by LadyLongbow » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:57 am

Apparently Kryal Castle made the decision pretty late to host this shoot and as this is the first are using it as a benchmark to see if they will have others in the future.

I am thinking of attending so will take a copy of the calendar with me to give to Gareth so that they may know if any other dates they are proposing could be conflicting.

Yours in archery

CraigH

#12 Post by CraigH » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:14 am

LadyLongbow wrote:Apparently Kryal Castle made the decision pretty late to host this shoot and as this is the first are using it as a benchmark to see if they will have others in the future.

I am thinking of attending so will take a copy of the calendar with me to give to Gareth so that they may know if any other dates they are proposing could be conflicting.
Yours in archery
Hi LadyLongbow,

Thank you for posting and clearing that up.

Regards,
Craig Howlett

wal

#13 Post by wal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:14 am

Thanks LadyLongbow, MF?

We had heard talk of an event out at the Castle mid last year, but not that it had grown to fruition, which is a shame for each event, but you learn from these things, no biggie.

Hotcam, re the faceache page mate, not sure you have the correct one, the trad shoot was posted back on 20 Nov, and I if I recall correctly the boys posted it on the ABA, Wenouree Archery Club and anyother archery associated page they are on, i openly admit I'm a struggler with a lot of this social media stuff. Anyway here's the link to Ballarat Bowhunters page

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2340749 ... 119498735/

Sue, have you considered putting your calendar on a page ? I know there is a percentage of "mature" folk who'll shy away from facebook, but it does seem a way of getting things out there, I know I was/am a bagger of it but there is some quite useful content and applications.

Cheers
Wayne

little arrows

#14 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:29 pm

"Wal", the proposed calender has its own post in Traditional Events - http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14263 which was started on October 25, 2013 - and I update as the shoots are confirmed. Then each shoot has its own individual post as the flyers become available and someone just starts it.
As was the proposed 2013 shoot calender on it's own post in Traditional events - - http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13318 - - started Dec 12, 2012

It is on http://www.wallace4woods.com/main.htm -Trad Info tab with flyers maps and results added as they are available, - and has been since late October 2013 (you will also still find all the 2013 info as well). It is also on the TBGA site under Trad Archery.
Is that not enough???

sue

little arrows

#15 Post by little arrows » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Excuse my post above, it is not meant to take away from this particular Trad/Reenactment shoot, only a response to the one concerned. :roll:

With only 1 sleep to go, I hope the shoot goes well for you good people at Kryal Castle and all who attend. :smile:

cheers
sue