Wisemans Ferry TRADITIONAL ARCHERY GET-TOGETHER MARCH 2014

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

jcm

Re: Wisemans Ferry TRADITIONAL ARCHERY GET-TOGETHER MARCH 20

#61 Post by jcm » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:43 pm

What Sue,
ELB.
That would be Great.
Looking forward to hearing more .
John

Ian Turner

#62 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:09 pm

I must agree thats a good idea to seperate ELB's from modern longbows.
Cheers
Ian

bigbob

#63 Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:12 pm

The Hunt wrote:What is ELB ?
Dont take any notice Chris it stands for E-Lastic- Booties :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bet you will have a great time there, it really is a top event,and I'l remember last years' forever
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#64 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:23 pm

little arrows wrote:Hot off the press - I have just been advised there will also be a new and seperate division for ELB,
Bit of a tricky one, BLBS, ELBS or ILBS definitions?, perhaps 'Selfbow' may be a better option.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Roadie

#65 Post by Roadie » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Hell what ever, I will be there, stick & piece of string, wooden arrows, and Walking sticks, ready to Party. Cheers Roadie.

little arrows

#66 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:17 pm

The divisions were Longbow, Recurve and Selfbow anyway - they have now decided to also add English Longbow, I believe the following description will cover it.
"a powerful type of medieval longbow (a tall bow for archery) about 6 ft (1.8 m) long used by the English and Welsh for hunting and as a weapon in medieval warfare"

I do not believe for this tournament there will be a poundage limit, as per the English Warbow Society. That however is for another thread - which someone else can start.... :smile:

Where as selfbow would include the shorter, curvier horsebow, also lighter poundage and vertically challenged selfbows.

Just bring your bows, your timber arrows and have a great weekend - there isn't going to be a debate, on this thread !!! OK... :wink: :smile:

cheers
sue

Trad Bound

#67 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:41 pm

"a powerful type of medieval longbow (a tall bow for archery) about 6 ft (1.8 m) long used by the English and Welsh for hunting and as a weapon in medieval warfare"
So on the basis of Sue's statement which I will not disput because Sue is always right, well in her own mind at least. Those people shooting said ELB will need to prove their birthright English or Welsh, AndyF you are in, Lycra boy is out(Stringnstik you can tell Nic Lintern his not playing with an ELB). I will hold the camera for you to get one of those "action" shoots :surprised:Nice knowing you Stringnstik.
TonyJ

bigbob

#68 Post by bigbob » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:52 pm

No more mental images of Nick and pink Lycra thanks Tony! :shock: :shock: :surprised: :surprised: :mrgreen:
razorbows.com

Trad Bound

#69 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 pm

Bob even the Red in the cardboard would not take that image away :lol: :lol:

little arrows

#70 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

:lol:

GrahameA

#71 Post by GrahameA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi Sue.

Since I am going to the Baseball (at the SCG http://mlbsydney2014.com/ ) I will not be there and as such it does not effect me.
little arrows wrote:The divisions were Longbow, Recurve and Selfbow anyway - they have now decided to also add English Longbow, I believe the following description will cover it.
"a powerful type of medieval longbow (a tall bow for archery) about 6 ft (1.8 m) long used by the English and Welsh for hunting and as a weapon in medieval warfare" .... .... Where as selfbow would include the shorter, curvier horsebow, also lighter poundage and vertically challenged selfbows.
IMHO unless someone provides some guidelines as to what belongs in the ELB division and what does not in advance there will be difficulties.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

little arrows

#72 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:32 pm

:roll:
May I suggest then, that people bring the bow or bows they wish to shoot and the shoot director with the aid of said Mr Lintern can place them in the appropriate divisions. Problem solved.

cheers
sue

Trad Bound

#73 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:52 pm

Sue, Sounds good and fair to me, BYO birth certificate to prove welsh or english ancestory. A tip for those wanting Nic to agree to your ELB status ask him about how the pink lycra works for him whilst he shoots an ELB. it was nice knowing you. :oops:

GrahameA

#74 Post by GrahameA » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:58 am

Morning.
Trad Bound wrote:Sue, Sounds good and fair to me, BYO birth certificate to prove welsh or english ancestory. A tip for those wanting Nic to agree to your ELB status ask him about how the pink lycra works for him whilst he shoots an ELB. it was nice knowing you. :oops:
My birth certificate would say I was born in NSW and has no information regarding my heritage/ancestry.

Okay so people bring along their DNA sample to show that there is a high probability that they have an English/Welsh ancestry.

What about the bow? Is it possible to have an English Longbow that is made somewhere other than England? Surely a longbow made in NSW is an Australian longbow not and English Longbow? :roll:
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

#75 Post by Roadie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:41 am

Love it Grahame, keep stirring. Have a great Day. Cheers Roadie.

GrahameA

#76 Post by GrahameA » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:Love it Grahame, keep stirring. Have a great Day. Cheers Roadie.
It is all fun.

Being serious for a couple of lines. It is easy to say things lets have an "xyz" division. The hard part is framing the words/whatever that clearly, and hopefully succinctly, defines what that means.

Now to get onto your case. Grant - hmmm that sounds suspiciously like a name of Norman origin. Once a Norman always a Norman ....... no shooting arc anglais for you.

Now if by perchance that a celtic origin Grant then there is a high probability you are Scot Grant and in that case you will be on the receiving end of the English bow. :roll:
Grahame.

Ian Turner

#77 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:03 pm

Guys at the end of the day Rob or Nick, if they agree, can be the ones to determine which bows qualify for what division.
At the end of the day we are not shooting for sheep stations, the olympics or world titles ETC ETC.
This is the Gathering which many people love to shoot at cause they have a great time with great people and get away from all the bu-----t and politics of ABA etc.
So we have one or 2 of the above named guys decide if there is a question and then we get on with it and enjoy ourselves and shoot.

Sue I notice that Rob has dropped the wood arrows requirement for top ten on the current flyer..

Cheers
Ian

little arrows

#78 Post by little arrows » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey Ian,

It wasn't on last years flyer either. I shall ask Rob to rectify the flyer. Timber Arrows for shootout.

cheers
sue

Trad Bound

#79 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:56 pm

Graham like your thinking :biggrin: :biggrin:
Roadie mate you can be what you like mate, you are the snake tamer deluxe as long as your there and full of bean I will be more than pleased

Ian Turner

#80 Post by Ian Turner » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi Sue, not to put to fine a point on it but actually on my copy of the flyer for last it was specified thats how i knew but i figured that this year Rob must have relaxed the rules on that one as a number of people were asking about using carbons and aluminium.
Cheers
Ian

little arrows

#81 Post by little arrows » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm

yes Ian we are both right - it wasn't on the original March 2013 flyer (which is the one I looked at), however it was corrected for the rescheduled October 2013 flyer.

longbowinfected

#82 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:47 pm

My relatives went to England with Guillaume le Batard. Pictures of the time/anecdotal evidence closer to the time [Bayeaux Tapestry] show long as in tall bows plus those slightly crooked. Those helping Guillaume went back to France and Switzerland. Many later used bows that were long. Surely the winners get to shoot bows which are long even if they are not English or Welsh. For many years and on other occasions the English King was everything/anything but English. Many of the bows which were long made in England were made with foreign natural resources. Bit like saying fruit and veggies grown in Asia /elsewhere but packaged in Australia by an American owned company are "Australian made".

pretty shaky foundations.

Kevin with a French Surname. My folk were Swiss. They worked as mercenaries, acted as bankers financing Guillaume, and had second cousins selling bow components and weaponry and third cousins working as pawnbrokers/sales points for soldiers with booty on both sides.........now that is the way to win a war.
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#83 Post by GrahameA » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:10 am

Morning Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:..... Pictures of the time/anecdotal evidence closer to the time [Bayeaux Tapestry] show long as in tall bows plus those slightly crooked. ...
In that particular argument down near Hastings the locals decided not to use bows and arrows, poor choice as it turned out. My best guess is someone probably changed the rules.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#84 Post by greybeard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Trad Bound wrote:
So on the basis of Sue's statement which I will not disput because Sue is always right, well in her own mind at least. Those people shooting said ELB will need to prove their birthright English or Welsh, AndyF you are in, Lycra boy is out(Stringnstik you can tell Nic Lintern his not playing with an ELB). I will hold the camera for you to get one of those "action" shoots :surprised:Nice knowing you Stringnstik.
TonyJ
"The term "English" or "Welsh" longbow is a modern usage to distinguish these bows from other longbows, though in fact identical bows were used across northern and Western Europe."

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

The Ranger

#85 Post by The Ranger » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:50 pm

How many sleeps to go Sue???

Ranger
Don't practise until you get it right. Practise until you don't get it wrong. Ranger Bows.

little arrows

#86 Post by little arrows » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Hey Ranger,

You getting keen tooo. :biggrin:

It's 29 sleeps to go - so much to do, so much to do!!!! :smile:

cheers
sue

bigbob

#87 Post by bigbob » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:37 am

Damn getting jealous already!
razorbows.com

The Hunt

#88 Post by The Hunt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 am

Getting very keen, this will be a mini holiday break for us and anytime together camping, shooting and travelling with our faithful dog ripper is something to get excited about. Not sure about the ELB thing and where my Razor would fit maybe the need QLB for Queensland Long Bow lol. or SCLB to be specific Bobby Sunshine Coast Long Bow ha ha. Whatever these get togethers over so much more than the archery. Cant wait to catch up with good friends. Sue save us a spot near you guys!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#89 Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:50 pm

The Hunt wrote:Not sure about the ELB thing...
A stick held in an arc with a length of string.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Roadie

#90 Post by Roadie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Ay Greybeard, plus some arrows, you know pointy sticks. you coming down. is when. Cheers Roadie.