martin jaguar take down recurve ok for trad shoots?

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

bluntarrow

martin jaguar take down recurve ok for trad shoots?

#1 Post by bluntarrow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:36 pm

is a jaguar takedown ok for trad shoots?metal riser wood limbs with screw in plastic arrow rest wooden arrows and feathers?

little arrows

Re: martin jaguar take down recurve ok for trad shoots?

#2 Post by little arrows » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:19 pm

hey bluntarrow,
The bow doesn't appear to be ILF limbs and there is no mention of this limb type in the blurb for that particular bow that I could see.
As long as it does not have a berger button or stabiliser of any kind you should be right.

There is a copy of the Trad rules at http://www.wallace4woods.com/main.htm on the Trad Info tab along with all the flyer info etc.

Will we be seeing you and the family at the Gympie shoot - Mr C.? :smile:

cheers
sue

bluntarrow

#3 Post by bluntarrow » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:08 pm

yes I think we are going ,should be fun,the jaguar belongs to the boy:-)

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Bluntarrow,

Is this the bow in question?
Martin_Jaguar_TakeDown_Black_med.jpg
Martin_Jaguar_TakeDown_Black_med.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 6922 times
Trad Rules;

• Plunger buttons are not permitted.
• In the case of a bow being cut past 1/8th from centre shot a pad of leather of similar shall be used to bring the bow back to 1/8th from centre shot.
• Recurves with a standard metal riser are allowed. Adjustable riser bows are not permitted.

If the boy is not worried about winning a trophy I am sure the organizers will allow him to shoot the bow as it is.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Ian Turner

#5 Post by Ian Turner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi guys the Martin Jaguar is the one pictured.
The limbs are not ILF and the riser is cut some ways beyond centre and is is metal and a rest has to be used it cannot be shot off the shelf.
That I imagine would be the only issue
The limbs are wood / glass laminate
On mine I have the arrow rest screwed out about 13mm 1/2" from the inner face of the riser sight window.
All in all they are a great bow for little money.
Great bow to start with as you can buy new limbs as you strengthen up at again modest cost.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Ian

Trad Bound

#6 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi Bluntarrow come to Lilydale Trad events you will be welcome. :wink:

bluntarrow

#7 Post by bluntarrow » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for the replys,the bow does belong to my boy (eleven year old cub) I wasn't quite sure if he could compete with it due to arrow rest type but I guess its not strictly trad? he likes the bow but I think he also likes the chance of a trophy (like all kids its part of the fun) he does have another bow just not his favourite bow to shoot ,we don't want to upset the trad police :biggrin: ,cheers all

DavidM

#8 Post by DavidM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Hi Blutarrow

Like Tony said, come along to Lilydale all TRAD bow's are welcome

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:30 pm

he lives in Qld guys, however, if he ever goes on holiday to Victoria around the cold time of the year I am sure he will. :lol:

toby

#10 Post by toby » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:23 pm

All Trad Bows Are Welcome, Now there's A Great Idea! I Wonder If It Will Catch On?
I Like Your Thinking At Lilydale.
Lyonel

littlejohn59

#11 Post by littlejohn59 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:21 am

even your bow and arrows is welcome iprofessor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

toby

#12 Post by toby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:22 am

Good to hear it Iprofessor !
Lyonel

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 am

Morning.
Trad Bound wrote:Hi Bluntarrow come to Lilydale Trad events you will be welcome. :wink:
Just a thought and no more than just a thought. Is the bow in question a "Warf" or is it not?
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

toby

#14 Post by toby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:04 am

No Grahame it's not a warf, it's a bolt down that Martin has had around for a few years.
Lyonel

Ronster

#15 Post by Ronster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Bluntarrow, I shot a Martin Jaguar recurve a few years back and then my wife shot it at a Caboolture Trad shoot. It has one big accessory that makes it perfect for Trad and that is a curved block that was made to bring it back on the good side of Centre. I will take it to Gympie and you are welcome to try it and use it. It bolts onto the riser and has a hunter rest attached making the bow fully Trad compliant.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

GrahameA

#16 Post by GrahameA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Afternoon.
toby wrote:No Grahame it's not a warf, it's a bolt down that Martin has had around for a few years.
Their is a body of opinion that implies/states the Martin Jaguar is a Warf.

A quick search using Google produced the following:
The Martin Jaguar is a discontinued compound riser with recurve limbs. It was never intended to be shot off the shelf; however, I've seen few people build out the shelf for this purpose. http://tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33900
I always thought the Martin Jaguar was basically a Warf bow. Take some unused compound bow risers and bolt on some recurve limbs....
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=664265
I'm pretty sure. It's a compound riser with recurve limbs. (that make it a warf?)
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1152588
There are several compound risers that make good recurves when limbs are added to them. I have fixed up about 6 different ones. As a general rule, the limb pad angle needs to be 15 degrees or less. I have bought the economy Samick and greatree limbs, my 4H kids shoot them well! This is called Warfing or Quarfing. Warf is a term coined by Bob Gordon, who reworked several BEar risers to use ILF limbs with improvised fittings and hand tools. Quarfs are risers that Use Quinn limbs, through altering the riser. I have mades som fine shooting bows off these, and the new Martin Jaguar is a compound Riser with Recurve limbs also!
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 1;t=087184
Jaguar - a compound riser they just bolted recurve limbs onto . http://www.bowhunting-forum.com/showthr ... TD-recurve
So it's pretty much not shooting trad lol just a compound with out wheels lol http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=117610
Hi Troy, the extra work that you have to do on them seems to occur regularly if you do a search on Martin Jaguar bow review. I think the Jaguar riser was the compound that was prone to snapping through the middle of the riser so hopefully recurve limbs will put less stress on them and make them a cheap modern trad bow option. Steve
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... 25&p=91386
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Ronster

#17 Post by Ronster » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:58 pm

The Martin Jaguar TD Recurve Bow, that is put out by Martin as a Trad Recurve has been around now for a few years. It is made to accept bolt on limbs at the Factory, and is not specifically warfed (modified after manufacture) My wife owned a Martin Jaguar Compound Bow at the time I owned the Martin Jaguar Recurve. The Recurve is a fairly cheap bow, but pulls very smooth. It has a good following but there are stories of limbs failing.
I could not fault it, and used it for a couple of years, before upgrading. There are several rests that will fit on the end of bolts that will bring the shot back before centre, or as in my case I had an aluminium plate that was made up to bolt onto the riser and fitted with a hunter rest. It was made as a TD Trad Recurve and limbs are exactly the same bolt on as other Trad TD recurves, Its difference is that it has a metal riser.
And, yes it was a compound before becoming a TD Recurve.

Ronster
Last edited by Ronster on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:01 am

Hi Ron
Ronster wrote:The Martin Jaguar TD Recurve Bow, that is put out by Martin as a Trad Recurve has been around now for a few years. It is made to accept bolt on limbs at the Factory, and is not specifically wharfed (modified after manufacture) ...

....And, yes it was a compound before becoming a TD Recurve.
Thanks for confirming that. It is essence a commercially produced Warf.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:29 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Ron
Ronster wrote:The Martin Jaguar TD Recurve Bow, that is put out by Martin as a Trad Recurve has been around now for a few years. It is made to accept bolt on limbs at the Factory, and is not specifically wharfed (modified after manufacture) ...

....And, yes it was a compound before becoming a TD Recurve.
Thanks for confirming that. It is essence a commercially produced Warf.
Without knowing the intent of the Martin design team it is difficult to put a label on the bow.

Perhaps their goal was to design a riser which would accept either limb system without the need of any modification or special tools.

Possibly this could have been a cost effective development for entry level bows.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Trad Bound

#20 Post by Trad Bound » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 pm

GrahameA wrote:Morning.
Trad Bound wrote:Hi Bluntarrow come to Lilydale Trad events you will be welcome. :wink:
Just a thought and no more than just a thought. Is the bow in question a "Warf" or is it not?
Graham you asked for their thought, the thought was provided and then you rebutted it.
If you want a thought then ask but to have a rebuttle seems unneccessary. If you have already got your answer to your question why poise the question?
TonyJ

toby

#21 Post by toby » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Hi Ron, do you have any photos of your bolt on block & what makes It fully trad compliant?
I thought under the rules I've seen published the elevated rest had to be adhered to the sight window not a threaded block. If it is compliant that would be good as it solves one problem that I have with a couple of my bows.
Lyonel

Ronster

#22 Post by Ronster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Lyonel, The block maybe a vague description, the block has a stick on hunter rest and when ayyached to the bow becomes the side plate.
I will have it at Gympie for you to look at, I am heading there first thing Tomorrow morning.

Ronster

Ian Turner

#23 Post by Ian Turner » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 am

Hi,
Yes I would be interested to see the block!
I have Martin Jag's and I am a fan of them mine shoot really well and I would love to be able to shoot in trad shoots with them but I thought for trad you have to shoot off the shelf not off a rest.
I have another 35 year old Martin with bolt on limbs with a i think magnesium alloy riser that has a wooded inset in the window with a deer engraved / burnt into the wood (love to knpow what the bow is called) and the limbs sit on bearings.
It does have a curved shelf so I have tried to use that but it shoots way better off a stick on rest.
I would like to be able to shoot that in trad comps.
So I guess after all this my question is can one shhot off a rest in trad events / comps?
Cheers
Ian