POLL - Trad 'Eligibility'.

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

What should be classed as a 'trad' bow in trad events?

Metal Riser - ILF limbs
24%
Wooden Riser - ILF limbs
3%
Any Riser - NO ILF
3%
Wooden Riser - NO ILF
5%
Takedowns OK - NO ILF
8%
One piece recurves/longbows ONLY - NO takedowns
No votes
D/R and flatlaid longbows/selfbows ONLY
3%
Flat laid longbows/selfbows ONLY
5%
Check shoot flyer for eligibility - Nothing needs to change.
49%

Total votes: 37

scuzz

POLL - Trad 'Eligibility'.

#1 Post by scuzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Guys

What bows do you think should be eligible for trad events??

I thought that the thread about trad restrictions has gotten a fair amount of views and interest. But maybe there is more people who arent so verbal, and who simply read whats going on.

But i thought that maybe some of these more passive people would happily click on a poll and possibly add some kind of (possibly more accurate) percentile look at this issue.

Once i started listing the differing opinions i have realised there are some blurred lines, but i have tried to put a decent amount of options, with the option of changing your vote, as everyones opinion can change from time to time.

Obviously the biggest part of the conversation has been about ILF limbs, so i tried to ensure all views could be expressed through that.

Worth a try.
Scuzz
Last edited by scuzz on Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: POLL - Trad 'Eligibility'.

#2 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:49 pm

Scuzz,

You left out selfbows which in my opinion are the most traditional of all.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

scuzz

#3 Post by scuzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

greybeard wrote:Scuzz,

You left out selfbows which in my opinion are the most traditional of all.

Daryl.
Hi darryl

I was aiming towards eligibility at trad shoots and once re-reading my OP i realised i wasnt too clear (i have edited to try and clarify further). Seperation of selfbows to longbows to asiatics etc, will give an excessive amount of options, which will exceed the limit of the POLL system.

I do agree with you on the selfbows being more traditional, shaping out of a single stave. For this reason i thought that most people would consider such a bow traditional.

I am mainly trying to aim towards the 'highly argued' topic regarding the ilf/takedown/metal risered etc systems.

Cheers
Scuzz

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

I would say any bow/material that is pre compound would fit the bill with the exception that timber arrows be used as they are the field leveler. Probably another can of worms opened. Steve

ron300wm

#5 Post by ron300wm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:00 pm

I like that .steve 8)

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Steve,
longbow steve wrote:I would say any bow/material that is pre compound would fit the bill with the exception that timber arrows be used as they are the field leveler. Probably another can of worms opened. Steve
Perhaps the easier resolution would be any design that is pre-ILF (excluding Compounds drats I was looking foward to an Oneida). Trying to not open any "can of worms". Plus "Wood Arrows" and "Feathers" and Glass/Wood or Wood/Wood, etc. i.e. no HMG or similar material laminations.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Hi Scuzz,

There is no option for people who are happy with the existing rules being used by clubs / associations to vote.

In this situation the results will mean nothing.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

scuzz

#8 Post by scuzz » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:09 pm

greybeard wrote:Hi Scuzz,

There is no option for people who are happy with the existing rules being used by clubs / associations to vote.

Daryl.
ok
So you would like an option of "Dont change anything" ?

Scuzz

little arrows

#9 Post by little arrows » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm

yes please Scuzz, that would make it easier.

cheers
sue

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:30 pm

This is CRAP, Why do we have to change anything.
To me it's very Simple, If you don't Like the Rules & Regulations, DON'T Come, Stay Home.
Sue, Littlejohn, Wolf care to share some of my Home made Pear Cider. Cheers Roadie.

Ronster

#11 Post by Ronster » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Roadie, I'll drink to that!

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

little arrows

#12 Post by little arrows » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Scuzz, - there is no "confusion" with the bows, there is one or two people who believe that deflex/reflex longbows are recurves, despite the fact the string only touches the bow at the string nocks.

Here Here!!! Roadie. :biggrin:

Who's shout is it?

cheers
sue

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:04 pm

scuzz wrote:
greybeard wrote:Hi Scuzz,

Daryl.
ok
So you would like an option of "Dont change anything" ?

Scuzz
If there is sufficent room it may be beneficial.

As the options stand most of the items are already covered in existing rules.

The main problem I see with the poll is that respondents can only tick one box.

If for instance I tick the flat laid longbows/selfbow only option it means that the other options are null and void.

In essence by ticking that option I am saying the other bow styles are not trad.

Daryl.
Poll Questions.jpg
Poll Questions.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 7722 times
[Ascham]

littlejohn59

#14 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:42 pm

Hi There Roadie

Crap did you say? :oops: Love it! Lets drink.
Pear cider....is that prickly? :lol: :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

little arrows wrote:Scuzz, - there is no "confusion" with the bows, there is one or two people who believe that deflex/reflex longbows are recurves, despite the fact the string only touches the bow at the string nocks.
The string only touching at the string nocks doesn't make a bow a longbow Sue. A bow of deflex/reflex design can be a longbow only if the reflex fully comes out of the limbs when it is strung. If the reflex (recurve) remains than the bow is a recurve - pretty simple to understand IMO. To say differently one must disregard known bow design and terminology and our Trad Archery history IMO.

Jeff

toby

#16 Post by toby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:01 am

Morning Scuzz,
I think Daryl is right in what he mentions above. Given that most of the debate has been around ILF & all the other options are already included in current rules, maybe just simplifing it a bit with something like

Should Ilf bows be allowed to shoot at Trad shoots?

Yes

No

Only if allowed in the shoot rules by Club running the shoot

I suppose the ony other question would be if they should be in a seperate catergory?
Just a thought.
Lyonel

Bent Stick

#17 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:41 am

The bows the arrow materials debate keeps going round and round, there really is no debate as per the shoot flyer or no, like greybeard mentioned a stick off the ground treated right becomes a selfbow.

No one would complain if someone wanted to hold an open tourney maybe a no wheels open slather type thing. In the meantime pick up stick string it pick up a smaller stick and fling it, just have fun with all the inconsistencies of timber and enjoy.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

discord

#18 Post by discord » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 am

I've never seen a flyer that mentioned ILF...
HAIL ERIS!

Ronster

#19 Post by Ronster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Hi all, well I think this debate has gone on long enough! If a club puts on a Trad event ,"that is what it is"anyone wishing to shoot at the event knows right from the start. No one is stopping newcomers or anyone else from going! The only iffy question to me that does seem to need addressing, is the Reflex deflex issue. Not ILF limbs, Not Carbon arrows!! Also more catagories = more cost and more work. Maybe it should be the organising club that makes this distiction, after all it is their shoot and they give up their time and effort to give archers a fun weekend, place to shoot, a place to sleep and food to eat that I am exceedingly grateful for.

PS:- no more polls it wont settle this! dont fix what aint broke.

Ronster
Last edited by Ronster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

scuzz

#20 Post by scuzz » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Ronster wrote:Hi all, well I think this debate has gone on long enough! If a club puts on a Trad event ,"that is what it is"anyone wishing to shoot at the event knows right from the start. No one is stopping newcomers or anyone else from going! The only iffy question to me that does seem to need addressing, is the Reflex deflex issue. Not ILF limbs, Not Carbon arrows!! Maybe it should be the organising club that makes this distiction, after all it is their shoot and give up their time and effort to give archers a place to shoot that I am exceedingly grateful for.

Ronster
I dont like ILF bows, i dont like takedowns, but only on a personal level. However i dont see any advantage of having an adjustable limb connection, nor do i see much difference in a D/R design as opposed to a flat laid design, i personally think there is a trade off with every design.

So this topic doesnt affect me at all, as i dont mind if i were put into a recurve division due to my D/R design on my bow, and i dont shoot takedown. But i do see why people are wondering why these systems are exempt.

"Dont fix what isnt broken", so this is the reason for disallowing such bows??. Or dont they look 'trad' enough??. Or is there a proven advantage??

Well it isnt broken, can it be improved?? Can trad participation be raised?? All 'newbies' are seeing is a classification that doesnt really make sense to them, and i for one agree.

As for polls not settling this, offcourse it wont. But some people arent so verbal with their opinions, where a poll can sometimes show different statistics due to it being a less personal form of expressing their opinion.

No wheels and wooden arrows = trad, but this is only my opinion.

Scuzz

Ronster

#21 Post by Ronster » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Hi Scuzz, I have edited my previous post, reffering to the organising club.

Maybe it should be the organising club that makes this distiction, after all it is their shoot and give up their time and effort to give archers a place to shoot that I am exceedingly grateful for.

That say's it all for me.

Ronster
Last edited by Ronster on Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scrub Bull

#22 Post by Scrub Bull » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:54 pm

“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Sorry someone had to say it.
Archery is a simple game, it's the mind that over complicates it.
www.tradbits.com.au

Roadie

#23 Post by Roadie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

About time you Surfaced Scrubs, I thought you had dropped of the Planet. Cheers Roadie.

wishsong

#24 Post by wishsong » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Ronster wrote: . Not ILF limbs, Not Carbon arrows!!

Ronster
Ronster ... what don't you like about ILF bows and how do you see them as an advantage ?

I am still querying what people have against ILF and why they should be disallowed given that it is just a limb connection system that allows some adjustability ... but to suggest that people would alter their tiller or poundage , in effect re tuning their bows mid shoot shows that people don't seem to understand it ...... How is it , once set up [ shooting off the shelf ] any different to any other take down recurve ?

You want wood arrows as they are 'trad' yet shoot a takedown that is far far newer in design and use than Easton alloy arrows ...

I just so happen to agree with clubs setting their own rules , and love wooden arrow events ... but there is room for all to participate ,not necessarily compete but participate . Particularly in the early stages of an archers career we can accommodate those who don't know or understand .

Trad is not a Bernard Cornwall novel , nor an extension of G Fred Asbells shooting method.
Its shooting longbows and recurves ... nothing more nothing less. But thats where it gets complicated :lol:

I am holding a trad shoot at my place this weekend ...

Single string bows only, any type of bow welcome ....... should be a heretical giggle or three .

By the way folks, thanks for letting me know what " trad " is by the way , given that I started with a longbow in 1980 ... well I am glad that someone cleared it up for me finally :roll 8)

toby

#25 Post by toby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:27 pm

I do agree that ultimately the shoot rules should be left up to the club holding the shoot & if they choose to use the existing guide lines setout earlier than so be it. But if a club decided to allow Ilf bows in existing sections or under an additional section I would hope all the people that think it should be left upto the clubs would support that decision,after all it is what you wanted.
Lyonel

Roadie

#26 Post by Roadie » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Can some one tell me, Did they have ILF bows and Carbon arrows at Pointers, Crecy, Agincourt, or at any other time During the 11th - 15th centuary. to me thats was Traditional Archery in England /France, during that time the Monguls arrived on the Door step with all their Gear.
Time for Drinks I think. Cheers Roadie.

toby

#27 Post by toby » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:35 pm

Yeah roadie they we're right there with fibre glass, epoxy glues, phenolic, fast flight & plastic nocks! :lol:
Last edited by toby on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lyonel

lanky

#28 Post by lanky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Maybe a "Poly pipe bent over a hot stove element with a string cause i seen it on Youtube" section?? :?:
Wherever you go......there you are!

kerrille

#29 Post by kerrille » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 am

here you go grant ,the battle of the spurs and look at what the english archers are using.
full size english lonbows
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=batt ... B324%3B302

there are other photos in the book ''arrow storm'',with english archers having longbows with reflexed tips.

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

discord

#30 Post by discord » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:36 am

Roadie wrote:Did they have ILF bows and Carbon arrows at Pointers, Crecy, Agincourt
At Agincourt they didn't even have pants. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAIL ERIS!