POLL - Trad 'Eligibility'.

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

What should be classed as a 'trad' bow in trad events?

Metal Riser - ILF limbs
24%
Wooden Riser - ILF limbs
3%
Any Riser - NO ILF
3%
Wooden Riser - NO ILF
5%
Takedowns OK - NO ILF
8%
One piece recurves/longbows ONLY - NO takedowns
No votes
D/R and flatlaid longbows/selfbows ONLY
3%
Flat laid longbows/selfbows ONLY
5%
Check shoot flyer for eligibility - Nothing needs to change.
49%

Total votes: 37

Bent Stick

Re: POLL - Trad 'Eligibility'.

#91 Post by Bent Stick » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 am

Nah Ron this is the norm, a new thread will start in a few weeks
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Ronster

#92 Post by Ronster » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:02 pm

Nah Richard, I think this one is over. Considering the number of views and the number of replies plus the result. that say's it all.
Let the Club decide the rules and enjoy the event for what it is: a whole lot of fun.

Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

stringnstik

#93 Post by stringnstik » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 am

I tell ya what I do with Polls.

trim em down into bows
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Goatchaser

#94 Post by Goatchaser » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:58 am

this is where I like bowhunting, choose what bow you like and suits you and go hunting, and pretty well follow the one rule of use your common sense.
I'm not a club member and never have been but as a member of the public from the outside looking in, to look at a bow I would call one piece bows more traditional style bows, I mean how many tribes made their bows to come apart so it would fit in their case better for travelling. :lol:

longbowinfected

#95 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Goatchaser,
well for a start in England many years ago take apart in the centre handle carriage bows were made.
How is something like that not traditional? How many generations does it take or applications for something to be considered traditional?
Also how is an American Indian's tradition is considered someone else's tradition [reference to your comment about tribes]
Some tribal[?] bows I think used two shorter sections tied together in the middle if memory serves me correct. I think a build along or story was featured on this forum a while ago.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

GrahameA

#96 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:42 pm

longbowinfected wrote:... Some tribal[?] bows I think used two shorter sections tied together in the middle ...
Buhtan??
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

#97 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Bhutan I think is correct. I think Longbow Steve made a similar bow out of a section or two off a large boo pole.

I would be pretty comfortable that amongst the various bow designs out there that some would join in the handle for convenience or simply because there were not a lot of available long straight sticks.

Hey the Moguls and Indians made metal bows. I would be surprised if someone then did not make a metal take down yonks ago. While we are at this the first wheel bows were made of timber, how many years ago now? Even metal arrows have been around for a long time.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Goatchaser

#98 Post by Goatchaser » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 pm

longbowinfected wrote:Goatchaser,
well for a start in England many years ago take apart in the centre handle carriage bows were made.
How is something like that not traditional? How many generations does it take or applications for something to be considered traditional?
Also how is an American Indian's tradition is considered someone else's tradition [reference to your comment about tribes]
Some tribal[?] bows I think used two shorter sections tied together in the middle if memory serves me correct. I think a build along or story was featured on this forum a while ago.

Kevin
this is why I hunt. :lol: the term traditional is a pretty loose term, and as traditions are subject to change over time I guess we are all shooting traditional no matter what, as the sport of archery is the tradition, as for two piece tribal bows tied together with string, I won't hold technology against you if you made a bow like this. :lol:

longbowinfected

#99 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Goathunter

I can see your broad point.
Traditions are a moving forward feast.
In essence it is really about simplicity rather than rules but technological advancements are ok.
There were deflex/ reflex English longbows in older times. most of what many consider to be an ELB is merely a lighter Victorian version.

The join in the handle Bhutanese bow longbow Steve made was quite an achievement, shot well. I have made one Victorian style ELB, that will do me. I own two take down in the handle modern longbows and I am getting an unglassed one made right now.......very handy bows especially if you travel a lot for work as I do.

Nothing wrong with hunting, pest control or target shooting. They are not mutually exclusive. A solid grounding in each discipline is a good thing. Certainly improves skills.

Kevin

Goatchaser

#100 Post by Goatchaser » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Agree with all of what you said, I jumped straight into compounds for hunting and now going traditional style purely for the simplicity. As for the technology side, if I were to show up to a club wanting to shoot trad with a reflex deflex laminated longbow with carbon fibre in it, would it be allowed, as I said not a member of a club but mainly because we don't have one here :sad: as for practice we have a range on the station that I shoot at, I have convinced the owner to get a bow and hang up the rifle. :wink:

littlejohn59

#101 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm

Oh Bent Stick :roll: :roll:

You were SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right. This subject does keep rearing its head. :cry: :cry:

I have no arras left for ammunition. I am returning to the Glen back in sherwood forest.

Roadie

#102 Post by Roadie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:45 pm

And an Ugly one at that. Honey Mead anyone. Cheers Roadie.

Ronster

#103 Post by Ronster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:00 pm

if I were to show up to a club wanting to shoot trad with a reflex deflex laminated longbow with carbon fibre in it, would it be allowed,
Hi Goatchaser,
This is as simple as I can make it! A club will put on a Traditional event, and with it they would normally put out a flyer with the rules attached.
This being their shoot, means their rules whatever they may be should be followed. There are a set of Trad rules that apply that can be viewed from the Wallace Woods site. The disputes raised are, that there are some people who would like to shoot other more modern bows etc with more catagories so that more archers can attend. "But" other clubs allow these bows and other equipment.

The Trad events are put on put on to cater for Trad shooters. I say, as do the majority of others:- If a Club chooses to put on a "TRAD SHOOT"
attend and enjoy the shoot for what it is, dont try to change it to an open shoot. If it does not suit your needs, then simple! dont go!

I hope this helps.

Regards, Ronster
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

Goatchaser

#104 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:17 pm

I was only asking if the bow I was looking at would be suitable, it's not about the event suiting my needs or me wanting to change the events to suit them, it was more a question of whether my equipment would suit the clubs needs, sort of sorry I ever said anything now. :lol:
I did work out what the shoot flyer whole thing meant for myself after asking, and after finding out what the shoot flyers are about this thread seems a bit pointless. :confused:

hazard

#105 Post by hazard » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:42 pm

Roadie wrote:And an Ugly one at that. Honey Mead anyone. Cheers Roadie.
Roadie, this comment is highly inapropriate! :roll: You should be only offering that after the Malt like you shared with me :wink:

But Honey Mead if the malt isn't available first of course, you should be tastefull without being gawdy :roll:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Ronster

#106 Post by Ronster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Sorry Goatchaser, the reply was meant to answer your question by refering to the Flyers, and the Trad Rules, as you asked if your bow was allowed.
It may be different for every club!
Sorry you have taken the answer otherwise. The rest of my comments were to put you in the picture regarding the posts on this topic, not to infer that you were looking to change things. But that others were.

Ronster

Goatchaser

#107 Post by Goatchaser » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 pm

It's all cool :wink: , just sounded like I opened a can of worms from a couple of other posts as well, looks like I will have to get more than one trad style bow then, darn shame that. :biggrin:

Ronster

#108 Post by Ronster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:05 pm

No worries mate, give yourself a treat and read through the posts, you will see a very interesting range of comments and replies.
The idea of these forums IMO, is to allow for discussion on as many topics as you can imagine. Ozbow.net is one of the best.

Regards, Ronster

Goatchaser

#109 Post by Goatchaser » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:15 am

Gene-o wrote:This topic comes up all the time... Trad events for me is time to catch up with some great people and watch our arrows fly... not always where we would like them, we shoot, we party and we laugh, dont get any better than that, and thats where great friendships are forged. Just my two cents worth. Geneo :wink:
So I have read the whole thread over again and the best answer I found was this, well done Gene-o, makes plenty of sense to me. :wink:

Ronster

#110 Post by Ronster » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:22 am

Yeh Goatchaser, Gene o is one of the best. I was a member of the same club for several years (Gladstone Bowhunters).
We all have our own take on things and when I post, the comments are In My Opinion (IMO)
The person I dissagree with the most is probably my wife, but we can still enjoy each others company and live happily with each other.
So whilst there is dissagreement on Rules, Gear and Equipment etc. I respect everyones opinion and hope that any dissagreement would not interfere with friendship or spoil any shoot I was attending.

Ronster