Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Re: Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

#121 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:39 pm

Addenda.

You may find these interesting and helpful:

European Traditional Archery Society
4 Types of Bow
http://www.etas-archery.com/

Society for Promotion of Traditional Archery (England)
5 Types of Bow
http://www.traditional-archery.org/spta ... geven.html

It would be interesting if a person turned up to an event organised by either of these bows with a bow with ILF limbs.

This a good read/primer/article for people:
http://www.etas-archery.com/images/stor ... rchery.pdf
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Roadie

#122 Post by Roadie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks for this info Grahame, I certainly found it very interesting to read, and its exactly my way of thinking. Cheers Roadie.

GrahameA

#123 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:Thanks for this info Grahame, I certainly found it very interesting to read, and its exactly my way of thinking. Cheers Roadie.
Hi Grant.

There is no easy answer to this stuff. To many there appears to be a Historical/Vintage component to Traditional Archery. However that is not agreed by all.

For me who owns and shoots few older bows plus I have made a few replicas of old style bows I can relate to that viewpoint. However, some people like to shoot modern bows built in an older style and other people like to shoot modern bows. It is whatever you want to make it. On a personal level find it very enjoyable to shoot a Hoyt Pro-Medallist with Aluminium or Wood Arrows. It is is just a tad stressful shooting a bow that may be irreplacable.

It also great to shoot an Asiatic. The question to ask is how representative is an Asiatic out of China with glass limbs of a Traditional Cninese bow. Or how close is a Grozer bow to the original?

If there was a division for them then shooting a Hoyt GM with protypical limbs and appropriate arrows makes sense. However, shooting a WARF with ILF fittings and a weighted riser is riser may be something different altogether.

Traditional Archery is a very broad church.

Now having said all of that it is great to shoot something that approximates a medieval english longbow or a flatbow.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#124 Post by greybeard » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:58 pm

Lyonel,

There are many ‘grey’ areas when trying to place bows into certain categories. No matter how many rules are introduced it is impossible to cover all contingencies’ and the more difficult to enforce.

As suggested a division for non compliant bows could have merit perhaps without the subdivisions of gender, bow type and age if numbers are insufficient.

An issue could arise with people who are too lazy to source wooden arrows and could opt to nominate in this division.

International Longbow Archers Association [I.L.A.A.] rules covering self and laminated wooden longbows.

CF4. The cross-section of the bow at any point along its length can be of any size and shape i.e. round, oval, “D” shaped, square, rectangular etc. as long as it fits within a rectangular template with a ratio of sides 1 to .625, where the front and back surfaces of the section must touch the long sides of the template.
See examples below.
Longbow Cross Section.jpg
Longbow Cross Section.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
Examples of any cross-section shape fitting into a 1 to .625 ratio rectangular template, with the sectional shape touching both long sides of the template.
No arrow rest ledge of any form is allowed.

Follow link for complete rules. http://www.longbow-archers-association. ... ngbow.html

Another ‘grey’ area could be the following;

“The Renaissance Long Bow

This modern bow is inspired by the bows used by the Italian armies of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. A setback handle with recurved limbs was a popular design of this period, even appearing in many Italian art works. A fresco near Florence, in fact, depicts the Martyrdom of St. Sebastian with an archer bracing a bow of this design. Sketches by Leonardo da Vinci from the late 1400s also portray the setback handle and recurved limbs. Currently, the bow has been documented by Alessio Cenni, and is being made by Hilary Greenland in England. Cenni describes these bows as “lightly recurved” (Cenni, 1997). Greenland chooses to name it as she has; because it is 70 inches long to accommodate a 28-inch draw. The reader should be alerted, however, that many versions of recurves and straight longbows were in vogue in these early years in Italy and throughout the continent. The Italian armies of this period may not have relied on the bow as a primary weapon, but military archers were apparently valued more than many of the other European forces.”

Hilary Greenland Renaissance Bow.jpg
Hilary Greenland Renaissance Bow.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
I reconstructed one of these bows incorporating wood and bamboo. It is a one piece bow and is shot off the hand. If viewed kindly it would most likely fit in the Traditional/Primitive division.
Bamboo Takedown 002.jpg
Bamboo Takedown 002.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
At a later date I cut two inches out of the riser and made it a sleeved takedown bow. Does this now place it into the modern recurve division as I have no documented evidence to suggest that the Italians had sleeved takedowns in the fourteenth century?
Bamboo Takedown 008.jpg
Bamboo Takedown 008.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
There is evidence however to show that the English had sleeve/socket longbows in the 1800’s. Evidence also suggests that the Orientals had sleeved and hinged bows hundreds of yeas ago.

Perry,
With regards to your comments regarding the compound the following would suggest otherwise;"Holless Wilbur Allen was mechanically minded and sawed the ends off a conventional recurve bow and then added pulleys to each end."

The Browning Cobra circa 1974 would tend to back this up.
Browning Cobra.jpg
Browning Cobra.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 7554 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Roadie

#125 Post by Roadie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Now this is getting Very Very Interesting, don't Ya Just Love it. After All this info I needs a Drink. Cheers Roadie.

GrahameA

#126 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:50 am

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:Now this is getting Very Very Interesting, don't Ya Just Love it. After All this info I needs a Drink. Cheers Roadie.
It all seems easy from a distance but when you start getting closer and see some of the options that are available and the consider how they affect things it rapidly changes.

As a example I have a bow almost the same as Daryl's above except mine is a one piece and has a shelf, so what issues does that throw up.

Trad generally means 3D Field or something close to it. So if targets are at max 30 yards is there much of a difference between a Recurve and a Longbow and especially some of the modern longbow designs? I would suggest that a lot of people would be not happy if you suggested that they should be combined into one class.

However, Trad could mean shooting at longer distances so should people shooting some bows be at a disadvantage?
Grahame.

gazza

#127 Post by gazza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:57 am

someone could start up a historic compound division only bows made before 1978 , 15 % letoff figerglass arrows 190 feet per second :lol: some of our recurves are faster than that :lol: . does anyone out there still have one hanging on the wall at home .gazza.
The older i get the better i was

perry

#128 Post by perry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:26 am

I remember that Browning had 2 models of that Compound Daryl, a long and Short model. They where a desirable and reliable Bow. I'd like one to hang on the wall. They still rely on mechanical advantage generated by Eccentrics and should not be considered alongside Recurves, Flatbows, Primitive Bows and the like. The nearest thing I can think of to a Compound in Traditional Bow circles is the Penobscot.

A Compound has no place in the Traditional Bow Scene. I support acknologing advances in Traditional Archery Technology. I am 110% behind teaching / handing on Traditional Archery Skills, Bowmaking Primitive and Modern, same deal with Arrows, Knifemaking, Leathercraft etc etc. This is self evident with the Range of Skills I have made my business to learn of and Practice. Whilst a part of Archery there is no merging / bluring of the line to my mind between Traditional Archery and Compound Technology. To suggest otherwise is mischevious

Daryl other than the Butanese T/D Bow which was bound together the earliest T/D I am aware of was a Hinged Bow made by the Chinese in the mid 1700's. I am not aware of a Sleeve and socket T/D pre mid to late 18th Century. I wonder how far back there is historical evidence of T/D Bows

Grahame I'll get a chance over the weekend to read all your links

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

littlejohn59

#129 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Roadie wrote:Now this is getting Very Very Interesting, don't Ya Just Love it. After All this info I needs a Drink. Cheers Roadie.
You got a spare stool matey. I am bringing the bundy. Appears as though this thread is gunna go for a while.
What are we gunna do Roadie once we have drunk the stillery dry?
I aint gunna be in any condition to read the thread let alone see the words. Pour as another one mate will ya?

GrahameA

#130 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:14 pm

Afternoon.
littlejohn59 wrote:
You got a spare stool matey. I am bringing the bundy. Appears as though this thread is gunna go for a while.
What are we gunna do Roadie once we have drunk the stillery dry?
I aint gunna be in any condition to read the thread let alone see the words. Pour as another one mate will ya?
Grant is a Scotch drinker ....... he may be willing to accept other stuff if the price is right.

If previous examples are anything to go by discussions regarding Rules/Guidelines/Whatever drag on for forever ...... and even longer when people want to have things so they suit their requirements.

If people want to shoot something different the easy solution is to ask the organising club for an variation or shoot in a non-competitive section or go and shoot mainstream competitive archery rather than trad.

Can you imagine the difficulties try to get a consensus if there is ever a national association ........... I would suggets that it would be far easier to go with the overwhelming majority.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#131 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi Perry,

Perhaps I should have elaborated on my reply regarding the compound comments. The reply was prompted by the following remark.
perry wrote: As each generation adds they're knowledge to the sum of each previous generations Knowledge Traditions must Evolve.
To enable the pulleys and cables to function the limbs have to be pre stressed to obtain higher stored energy levels.
The bow configuration is reliant on the limbs storing energy for it to work.
Imagine a bow with excessive decurve [to match the brace height] and attach the pulleys and cables without having tension in the limbs, stored energy at full draw would be low and the arrow may only travel a few feet.
Using the Cobra as an example, remove the cables and pulleys and replace them with a single string to the same brace height, the likely outcome would be that it would be almost impossible to get it too full draw.
Utilising pulleys and cables enables the bow to be drawn as well as increasing stored energy.

Perry, I hope the above makes sense?

I have never and would not ever advocate that this style of bow or any compound be included in traditional events.

As for the Penobscot bow I think of it as a variation of the cable backed bow.
Penobscot Bow.jpg
Penobscot Bow.jpg (35.79 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

DavidM

#132 Post by DavidM » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Hey LittleJohn can we at least agree that this bow is half trad :shock:
Attachments
011_zps9d5406da.jpg
011_zps9d5406da.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 7479 times

scuzz

#133 Post by scuzz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm

DavidM wrote:Hey LittleJohn can we at least agree that this bow is half trad :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roadie

#134 Post by Roadie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:36 pm

Ay David do you really shoot that, or is it just a Wall Hanger.
I do really like the Idea of. Longbows, Recurve, Historic/Self/Primative Bows, Asiatic (Horse Bow Etc) and then Classic.
So if anyone turns up to a shoot and dosn't want to conform to the Shoots Rules laid down by the Club, Put them in the Classic, let them shoot what they want, but NON competive, you can still have Fun, have a few Drinks and talk a little Crapp, as most of us Do.

Grahame , Yes I drink Scotch, BUT only Single Malts, mainly from the Island of Islay, But can be tempted to Try something else.

All this is very interesting. Little John its your Shout. Cheers Roadie.

littlejohn59

#135 Post by littlejohn59 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:15 pm

:lol: hiccup :lol: hiccup
thanks Roadie, your shout
:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: hey proffessorsori I don't know much about agreeing to call it half trad.
How about yo call it whatever yu want and whoever lets yu shoot it, just shoot it.

I'll call an ambulance for u prior to shooting it. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I need another drink Roadie.

DavidM

#136 Post by DavidM » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Hi Roadie

Would be an interesting bow to hang on the wall but its not mine, I've heard about them but ive never seen one live.

PS looking forward to Mildura! and yes i will be more than happy to shoot with the longbow and woods. I might even be forced to have a bundy with the big fella.

PPS make sure you chase all thoughs shakes out before we get there :mrgreen:

perry

#137 Post by perry » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Awesome 8) a Grahame Dyna Bow, how cool is that - still a Compound though :mrgreen: Hang onto that one, unreal !!

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#138 Post by GrahameA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Hi All.
perry wrote:Awesome 8) a Grahame Dyna Bow, how cool is that - still a Compound though :mrgreen: Hang onto that one, unreal !!
Correction, I believe that's a Martin Dynabow, Circa 1970's
Grahame.

little arrows

#139 Post by little arrows » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:55 pm

At the NAFA Trad shoot, we were approached in camp and asked the question, what did we think about opening up Trad to carbon arrows and ILF limbs. After a small discussion, we decided it would be best of ask as many people at the shoot for opinions. The first couple of people we approached, thought yes it was a good idea, add a clause to the current Trad rules allowing carbons to shoot. So we then split and were asking different individuals, and by late Friday evening we already knew which direction it was going. I continued on Saturday, just to make sure of the general consensus, and I realise we didn’t get around to all 117 shooters, however we didn’t need to.
After I was hammered from some surprising sources, it became very clear, that Trad is Trad and Timber Arrows only are Trad. The quote kept being said to me, “If they want to shoot carbons, go to a normal shoot – not a Trad shoot, timber arrows only.” And as for ILF limbs, well, where do you draw the line?
The conclusion, regardless of the long and lengthy discussion with some, is – the majority are more than happy with the rules as they are, and this thread will clearly carry on regardless of this post. I will continue asking from time to time at various Trad shoots to see if opinion may have changed.
So there you have it, we took the time to ask people who were actually participating at a Traditional shoot, not just sitting at a keyboard, and majority rules.

Roadie, littlejohn59 may I join you.

cheers
sue

littlejohn59

#140 Post by littlejohn59 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:24 am

Pull up a stool Littlearrows. What would it be,... malt or bundy?
I know...... not much of a selection. Anybody else who cares to join our session is more than welcome.

You were a brave woman to face those archers and ask that question. I bet your ears are still ringing. :biggrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I drink to your bravery!!

hiccup hiccup :biggrin: :biggrin:

toby

#141 Post by toby » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:21 am

If someone were to develop a division for more modern bows it would seem appropriate that a bit of thought and research should be put into them plus a fair amount of feedback so that a range of views are considered and taken into account.[/quote]

Morning Grahame
I think that those words above correct, I think it would require feedback & consultation but not just from the dozen or so hardcore people out there that are the most vocal but from a much broader cross section of archers including new comers & families who I think would rarely be asked. These are probably the ones that would benifit from such an addition of this type of division. One thing I have also learnt in life is that there are lots of followers out there who will simply agree with what you tell them they should agree with. Quite often this is because people don't like confrontation or wishing not to offend the other persons beliefs regardless of there own thoughts on the matter, these people are often called the silent majority.
I am also not trying to have things changed to suit my requirements I have everything I need to shoot what I want to shoot. I just think that there are better ways to try to introduce new people into traditional archery. Once they are there then try to convert them to wood arrows or fibre glassed longbows if this is what makes you happy.But get them there first & then give them time to change there equipment when they can afford it if they choose to.
I quite often think the hardcore opinions you see on websites scares more people away from trying our sport rather than attracting many.

Hi Sue, I appreciate the fact that you talked to quite a few people as well as myself at the NAFA shoot about allowing the use of carbon or alloy arrows. But to me this discussion is not just about which type of arrow can be used I think it is much broader than that. You are spot on that this type of discussion will go on so long as there people like Perry & myself & quite a few others that have chimed in this discussion from time to time. I would like to here the opinions of alot of the people that have looked at this thread but were to scared to enter the fray or thought they had nothing to offer, the silent majority's opinions do count.

Well its time to go to work I have to pay for one of my daughters new back quiver & I need some more money for Arrows & Flu Flu's & Cresting machine I want.
Bye
Lyonel

GrahameA

#142 Post by GrahameA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 am

Hi Sue.

I see it has stopped raining at Noosa, it's is now pouring in Brisbane.
little arrows wrote:... The quote kept being said to me, “If they want to shoot carbons, go to a normal shoot – not a Trad shoot, timber arrows only.” ....
Yes. If you ask that seems to be a common reply. On a "Straw Poll" basis there seems to be little demand for change.

Hi Grant.
Roadie wrote:... I do really like the Idea of. Longbows, Recurve, Historic/Self/Primative Bows, Asiatic (Horse Bow Etc) and then Classic. ...
Be aware that as the classes/divisions increase the "competition" may dilute.
Grahame.

Roadie

#143 Post by Roadie » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:15 am

Morning Grahame, Yes I agree with the KISS solution, but as pointed out by some, people just don't want to comform to the Rules.
By having a Classic Div, you put those people in it and let them have there fun, BUT they are Non competive in the Trad (Wooden arrows), but they are competive amongst themselves.

DavidM, looking forward to shooting with you again, hopefully the weather will be to cool for the SNAKES to come out. Cheers All. Roadie.

WOLF

#144 Post by WOLF » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 am

:roll: :roll:
Looks like its time to break out the Honey Mead me thinks
Wheres my drinking horn :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

toby

#145 Post by toby » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Roadie I think your idea has some merit, I think it would help increase participation. Which would in turn help the clubs.
Lyonel

GrahameA

#146 Post by GrahameA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 pm

Evening All.
toby wrote:Roadie I think your idea has some merit, I think it would help increase participation. Which would in turn help the clubs.
The feedback that I get is that Archery is going through a growth stage.

The issue for many clubs is meeting the demands of beginners and beginner courses.

The latest 3DAAA Newsletter suggests that the issue is not one of getting people it is one of retention and one of people shooting competition.

If my main Club continues to grow at the rate experienced over the last couple of years there will be issues related to sheer numbers. As a Target Archery Club we had 4 members who shot at the NAFA shoot which would be unheard of a couple of years ago. At a club level we have grown from nil Trad people to 8 regulars in two years. That growth is not a result of rule changes as AA would be the least friendly association towards Trad - it is a result of people helping each other.
Grahame.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#147 Post by greybeard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 am

perry wrote: Daryl other than the Butanese T/D Bow which was bound together the earliest T/D I am aware of was a Hinged Bow made by the Chinese in the mid 1700's. I am not aware of a Sleeve and socket T/D pre mid to late 18th Century. I wonder how far back there is historical evidence of T/D Bows
ARCHERY, ITS THEORY AND PRACTICE; by H. A. Ford, 2nd Edition, 1859.

Extract from the book;

“There is a bow called the "carriage-bow," which here requires some notice. It is made to divide, in the centre by means of an iron or brass socket fixed to the lower limb of the bow—something similar to the joint of a fishing-rod, in fact. The only object attained, however, is that it enables the Archer when travelling to carry his bow in a smaller compass: but to obtain this, much additional weight is added to the bow, rendering it heavy in hand, and unpleasant in use. The remedy here, therefore, is worse than the disease.”
carriagebow.JPG
carriagebow.JPG (28.83 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
The book can be read on the following site,

http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/ford/

Daryl.
[Ascham]

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#148 Post by greybeard » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:21 am

toby wrote:including new comers & families who I think would rarely be asked.

One thing I have also learnt in life is that there are lots of followers out there who will simply agree with what you tell them they should agree with. Quite often this is because people don't like confrontation or wishing not to offend the other persons beliefs regardless of there own thoughts on the matter, these people are often called the silent majority.
How much understanding would new comers have regarding bow classification?

Is it possible that the silent majority may be happy with the rules and therefore do not comment?

Daryl.
[Ascham]

ron300wm

#149 Post by ron300wm » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Is long as two opposite woods working in separate ways to achieve a common goal ..
Synergy

Ronster

#150 Post by Ronster » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi all, I do believe that archery clubs allow almost any type of bow, and run weekly/monthly events to include all catagories, for people of all ages. But when a Traditional event is put on by a club that is open to all who want to enter. It is advertised as a Trad shoot and has Trad rules! (It must!) you dont go to a soccer match to watch people thowing a rugby ball around. As I mentioned earlier, I purchased a Trad Bow with ILF LImbs for several hundreds of Dollars from the US only to find that it breached rule 2.4 (adjustable Limbs) I fully accepted the decision that I could shoot it, but not win any trophies. I chose to shoot an accepted bow and wood arrows with minimum 12" of feathers under the rules of the event organisers.
So again I say "in my opinion Trad shoots, Trad rules, as advertised prior to the event". If you want to shoot other than this then enter the events that suit the bow and equipment that you prefer.
Last edited by Ronster on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"