Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

WOLF

Re: Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

#91 Post by WOLF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:25 am

Would these qualify as Trad :wink:
They have at least 21 inches of Fletching (Turkey Feather) bound with Linen Thread,
32 inch long Poplar Shafts (Wood),
Horn Reinforced Self Nocks,
The pointy end 240 gn Bullet Points (Steel)
Also a Cloth Arrowbag to carry arrows in. :biggrin:
Shot out of my Trilam ELB

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13614

I hopping that these will qualify as Trad :wink: :wink:
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

Ronster

#92 Post by Ronster » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi Guy's, early last year I purchased a trad bow from America with ILF limb fittings, to use in our qld trad shoots. But after making several enquiries discovered that the bow could not be used because the ILF fittings breached the 2.4 Trad shoot rules.
This came up for the 2012 Gympie Trad shoot. the bow was almost identical to my samick Squall, wood riser shooting off the shelf, but alas ILF limb fittings!
I was told that I could shoot in the comp but would not be allowed to win trophies, (I should be so lucky) anyway It is a competition and the legitimate trad shooters have a right to win fairly, against like equipment. So to round up:- Trad shoots must mean shoot Trad gear. Modern equipment for modern or other events.

Ronster
Last edited by Ronster on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#93 Post by greybeard » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:17 pm

Neil,

Your arrows are fine for trad shoots.

To minimise damage to 3D targets it is preferable to keep the bow draw weight to 80 lbs. or under.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

WOLF

#94 Post by WOLF » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Daryl :wink: :wink:
I was hoping they would be ok :smile:
Cheers
Neil

57# Predator Hunter
55# Mohawk Classic
80# Lionheart Tri Lam ELB

wishsong

#95 Post by wishsong » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 pm

It is a great pity that ILF bows seems so misunderstood .
ILF , in essence , is a connection fitting for the limbs to the riser and little else .
If you wanted to change tiller during a round ... well , you are a better archery mechanic than most ..........

Raised rests ? My Flipper rest on my metal handled ILF Rig ? My Bear weatherest ? recurves cut past centre ? ..... where does it end ? Is metal handled Bear Riser from the 70's any differnt from my Titan that I shoot off the shelf ?

ILF is a great way to get people into the sport as two differing sets of limbs can be purchased for differing purposes if needed and bought cheaply ... you are not dependant on any particular bowyer , they can be bought off the shelf and delivered ASAP ... whilst a have a room full of custom bows made for me , the adaptability of ILF Risers is alluring , particularly for those with limited budgets , newbies or those who want to embrace archery in differing aspects .
However , it is merely a connection system ... it is not a sight , nor a pulley system , nor an added advantage in shooting IMHO.

I agree with clubs having their own rules enforced , its their club after all . but I am always wary of any ideals that can be scene as snobbery or exclusionary ... bring them in by example I say .

I shot recently with a fella , a fine shot and good hunter . He berated my use of alloys out of my yew glassed string follow longbow for not being "trad" ... whilst he shot some beautiful doug firs from his bow ... a Black Widow longbow , with pronounced R/D , with take down sleeve , near centre shot with a carbon lamination for good measure .........

The Irony ............. 8)

Fraser

#96 Post by Fraser » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:51 pm

greybeard wrote:Neil,

To minimise damage to 3D targets it is preferable to keep the bow draw weight to 80 lbs. or under.

Daryl.
The under 80# rule could be a problem for me, now that the young fella has adopted my little bow I have nothing under 95#.

Fraser

scuzz

#97 Post by scuzz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:58 pm

wishsong wrote:It is a great pity that ILF bows seems so misunderstood .
ILF , in essence , is a connection fitting for the limbs to the riser and little else .
If you wanted to change tiller during a round ... well , you are a better archery mechanic than most ..........

Raised rests ? My Flipper rest on my metal handled ILF Rig ? My Bear weatherest ? recurves cut past centre ? ..... where does it end ? Is metal handled Bear Riser from the 70's any differnt from my Titan that I shoot off the shelf ?

ILF is a great way to get people into the sport as two differing sets of limbs can be purchased for differing purposes if needed and bought cheaply ... you are not dependant on any particular bowyer , they can be bought off the shelf and delivered ASAP ... whilst a have a room full of custom bows made for me , the adaptability of ILF Risers is alluring , particularly for those with limited budgets , newbies or those who want to embrace archery in differing aspects .
However , it is merely a connection system ... it is not a sight , nor a pulley system , nor an added advantage in shooting IMHO.

I agree with clubs having their own rules enforced , its their club after all . but I am always wary of any ideals that can be scene as snobbery or exclusionary ... bring them in by example I say .

I shot recently with a fella , a fine shot and good hunter . He berated my use of alloys out of my yew glassed string follow longbow for not being "trad" ... whilst he shot some beautiful doug firs from his bow ... a Black Widow longbow , with pronounced R/D , with take down sleeve , near centre shot with a carbon lamination for good measure .........

I do see your point. However i think alloy shafts would give far too much of an advantage in a trad shoot against wooden arrows as their consistancy in weight is far better.

And as for centre shot, metal risers, ILF bows, bolt on rests. I honestly couldnt care less. So long as their shooting barebow, and out of some kind of traditional bow. I am a bit firm on the wooden arrows though, i guess we all have our own boundaries/limits. :roll:

I personally dont think there is much difference between R/D to straight limb (if made well), or between carbon lamination to no carbon lamination. I believe recurves have better cast are generally higher scoring as a result, but there is a feeling when loosing an arrow from a longbow (one that i fell in love with the first time i shot one) that you dont get shooting a recurve. This is why i shoot a longbow, and R/D or carbon laminated still have this feeling to me. Anyone who complains about such things are likely trying to come up with a reason for not shooting well :surprised: :lol: JMO.

Scuzz

scuzz

#98 Post by scuzz » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Fraser wrote:

Daryl.
The under 80# rule could be a problem for me, now that the young fella has adopted my little bow I have nothing under 95#.

Fraser
I dont think its a rule fraser, its merely 'preferable' 8) Shoot at your limit (as colossal as it may be) :razz:

Scuzz

GrahameA

#99 Post by GrahameA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Afternoon All
wishsong wrote:It is a great pity that ILF bows seems so misunderstood .
Are they? I am of the opinion that they are not misunderstood at all.

The argument in favour of ILF is that it opens up the range of limbs available,

IMHO that is a fallacy. It takes little work to adapt an ILF limb to a bow that has a hard-lock bolt down fitting. And equally you can make risers to accept modified ILF limbs relatively easily.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Fraser

#100 Post by Fraser » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:21 pm

scuzz wrote:
Fraser wrote:

Daryl.

Fraser
I dont think its a rule fraser, its merely 'preferable' 8) Shoot at your limit (as colossal as it may be) :razz:

Scuzz
I was hoping it was a preference, as for damage to 3d targets, the holes a bit bigger and the arrow penetrates a bit deeper, I guess that's extra damage, but it doesn't really add up if there's only a couple of people using heavy bows.

Fraser

toby

#101 Post by toby » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Wishsong I agree with you mate, but I'm afraid your beating your head against a brick wall.The Ilf versus a bolt down limb debate is ridiculous. No one in there right mind is going to adjust there tiller or poundage mid shoot once the bow is setup & tuned & if this is not the reason for them being not elidgable what is? And even if they did what the difference between that & adjusting your brace height or nocking point mid shoot?
Lyonel

wishsong

#102 Post by wishsong » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 pm

GrahameA wrote:
The argument in favour of ILF is that it opens up the range of limbs available,

IMHO that is a fallacy. It takes little work to adapt an ILF limb to a bow that has a hard-lock bolt down fitting. And equally you can make risers to accept modified ILF limbs relatively easily
Grahame , I'd suggest that to some , the ability to order and purchase limbs , knowing that they will fit the riser , is a large part of the appeal , particularly if you are time poor ,dislike bowyer waiting times , not very good mechanically , new to archery ... or want to be able to by limbs off the shelf and possibly cheaply

I can't think of any custom bowyers who will offer a set of limbs for under $250 ... and custom bowyers will also most likely void their warranty completely if we are taking screwdrivers or pliers to their limbs and risers as you suggest

Looking at some of the cheaper Cartel and Hoyt Risers , with 35# limbs for FITA or Field or 3D and 50# for hunting at $200 each , and a $200 Riser ... you have two bows in effect , all under warranty from the manufactirer for under $600 ... It is hard to find such a bow set up elsewhere IMHO .

So it may be a "fallacy" ... but to many it is an affordable option , enabling different aspects of the sport to be participated in , differing gear to be tried whilst maintaining appropriate usage that will still validate a warranty claim .

Kingsley

#103 Post by Kingsley » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 am

I know that some seem to have a mental block with ILF risers,but once you set the bow up you dont touch it.It is the same as a bolt down bow.I got into them as a means to start shooting again.

Kingsley

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#104 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:32 pm

wishsong wrote:

To get back on track the rules in question refer to the traditional shoot that North Albert hosts once a year.

These rules were made available to any clubs that wanted to use them for their traditional shoots.

As a 3D AAA club all our shoots held during the year generally follow the 3D AAA rule book.

If we are hosting a major 3D AAA event such as the state titles the 3D AAA rules are enforced.

As for bow prices a newcomer to the sport can buy a complete Samick Sage takedown for $139.99 and extra limbs ranging from 25# to 60# for $73.99 plus postage.

New comers to the sport have plenty of options through 3D AAA, ABA, IFAA, AA and FITA so I do not see how an annual traditional shoot could be deemed as snobbery or exclusionary.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#105 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:43 pm

toby wrote:Wishsong I agree with you mate, but I'm afraid your beating your head against a brick wall.
Lyonel,

Where would you draw the line?, keeping in mind that minor changes can be the thin edge of the wedge.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

GrahameA

#106 Post by GrahameA » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Afternoo Wishsong
wishsong wrote:Grahame , I'd suggest that to some .........
This the way I see it is this.

People can shoot whatevery they wish.

If people want to shoot in events they need to meet the rules/guidelines/whatever for that event.

If the rules/guidelines/whatever do not meet their expectations/cause them issues/whatever they have the choice, if they wish, to get the rules/guidelines/whatever changed or not to participate.
greybeard wrote:
toby wrote:Wishsong I agree with you mate, but I'm afraid your beating your head against a brick wall.
Lyonel,

Where would you draw the line?, keeping in mind that minor changes can be the thin edge of the wedge.

Daryl.
Better still if you want the rules/guidelines/whatever changed/varied/whatever then you get the organisers of the various shoots to change their rules/guidelines/whatever.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

gazza

#107 Post by gazza » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 pm

i agree with daryl ,there has to be a line in the sand otherwise we might as well let people shoot a compound at trad events.gazza. :biggrin:
The older i get the better i was

Roadie

#108 Post by Roadie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I agree with Gazza & Daryl, Trad is Trad. No Question. Cheers Roadie.

toby

#109 Post by toby » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Where would I draw the line?
I know I wouldn't descriminate between take down systems whether they be Ilf, Bolt Down, Sleve or Hinge. Either take down systems are aloud or there not.

Gazza I think you might be exagerating just a little!

Roadie Roadie Roadie, Trad is Trad? If Trad was Trad there would never be discussions like this one. I know my & alot of other peoples idea of trad is certainly different to others on this site. I don't expect there will ever be 100% agreement on what is Trad.
Lyonel

GrahameA

#110 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:14 am

Morning All
toby wrote:Where would I draw the line?
I know I wouldn't descriminate between take down systems whether they be Ilf, Bolt Down, Sleve or Hinge. Either take down systems are aloud or there not.
It sounds simple. As I have said before, "Simple answers do not solve complex problems".

So here is an example which allows take-downs but rejects ILF.

http://www.worldarchery.org/UserFiles/D ... gbow-e.pdf

Would you restrict paralever sytems? (Recently introduced Hoyt method of attaching limbs)?
Grahame.

littlejohn59

#111 Post by littlejohn59 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 am

wow

perry

#112 Post by perry » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:17 am

Pre 1900 no such thing as Fibreglass Laminations. Pre WW2 no such thing as Fibreglass Laminations but Alluminium Arrows where in common use. 1948 Plastic Vanes where introducted and Fibreglass Laminations where still being developed. 1970's the CONCEPT of Traditional Archery had not been formed and no one blinked when you shot Alloy Arrows and a Raised Arrow Rest on your Recurve. Some where beginning to make noise in the late 70's crying Foul with a few Archers shooting Fibreglass Laminated Flatbows where competing with Alluminium Arrows

Enter the 21st Century, Carbon Laminations Exopy inpregnated Riser Materials, Carbon Foam and many other High Tech materials are in common use. The Clouds part and the Sun Shines as Trad Archers swoop on new Bows made from these new materials. The bit I don't get is this Hypocrisy where If I turned up at a Trad Shoot with an old Bear Flatbow with Alluminium Laminations I can shoot the Bow and other than Archers who understand the historical significance of the Bow would not raise a second look. Yet turn up with Alluminium Arrows Fletched with Vanes I'd be corrected on the error of my ways quick smart despite Alluminium Arrows predating Fibreglass Lamination and Alluminium Laminations

Same goes for Carbon Fibre, ILF or a roll of Gaffer Tape so I can adjust Tiller on my 3 piece Take Down. I get the line in the Sand ideal but there is no simple solution. As each generation adds they're knowledge to the sum of each previous generations Knowledge Traditions must Evolve.

The cry I often hear , may as well allow Compounds be it in Jest or Heartfelt is ridiculous, Compounds are a Device relying on Eccentrics / Cams and the Limbs to propel Arrows. Recurves, Flatbows and Longbows all rely on the Bows Limbs to propel the Arrows, they are very different things. A Takedown System adds absolutely nothing to the Bows Ability to propel the Arrow.

Apply the same Materials and Design principals to a one piece or non ILF Takedown Bows Limbs and they will shoot just as well. Improvements in string Tension and Limb Mass add performance not T/D systems

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#113 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 am

Hi Perry
perry wrote:...... Yet turn up with Alluminium Arrows Fletched with Vanes I'd be corrected on the error of my ways quick smart despite Alluminium Arrows predating Fibreglass Lamination and Alluminium Laminations ...

... there is no simple solution. ...
The accepted set of rules say "Wood Arrows" and "Feathers". So woods are the go.

I would have no issues you shooting early Aluminium arrows or replicas (and paper or leather fletches). However, I suggest that many people would not be so keen on them when they discover how easily they deform. I would not be so easy going if you turned up with some XX75's or X7's. They are to tough and you should be made to suffer for your Art. Or at least you bank balance should.

Yes there are no simple solutions and all solutions have consequences ...... and not all consequences are anticpated or intended.
Grahame.

wishsong

#114 Post by wishsong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 am

GrahameA wrote:
People can shoot whatevery they wish.

If people want to shoot in events they need to meet the rules/guidelines/whatever for that event.

If the rules/guidelines/whatever do not meet their expectations/cause them issues/whatever they have the choice, if they wish, to get the rules/guidelines/whatever changed or not to participate.

Absolutely agree Grahame . I suppose I have never really seen any difference in bolt down and ILF , that is all .
I can see everyone's point , and i still hold IFAA Longbow ruling dear to my heart in its interpretation of wood arrows and D shape etc ...

But I can also see that we could be seen as exclusionary in some respects ... and WA 3D restricting ILF is just one of those areas as an example . Aside from changes to tiller or plunger pressure [ really only the bastion of stringwalkers] i can't see any practical difference in a Black Widow and a Titan shot off the shelf
But its all good .

Doug Fir is still my fave arrow material ........

hazard

#115 Post by hazard » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:20 pm

perry wrote:Pre 1900 no such thing as Fibreglass Laminations. Pre WW2 no such thing as Fibreglass Laminations but Alluminium Arrows where in common use. 1948 Plastic Vanes where introducted and Fibreglass Laminations where still being developed. 1970's the CONCEPT of Traditional Archery had not been formed and no one blinked when you shot Alloy Arrows and a Raised Arrow Rest on your Recurve. Some where beginning to make noise in the late 70's crying Foul with a few Archers shooting Fibreglass Laminated Flatbows where competing with Alluminium Arrows

Enter the 21st Century, Carbon Laminations Exopy inpregnated Riser Materials, Carbon Foam and many other High Tech materials are in common use. The Clouds part and the Sun Shines as Trad Archers swoop on new Bows made from these new materials. The bit I don't get is this Hypocrisy where If I turned up at a Trad Shoot with an old Bear Flatbow with Alluminium Laminations I can shoot the Bow and other than Archers who understand the historical significance of the Bow would not raise a second look. Yet turn up with Alluminium Arrows Fletched with Vanes I'd be corrected on the error of my ways quick smart despite Alluminium Arrows predating Fibreglass Lamination and Alluminium Laminations

Same goes for Carbon Fibre, ILF or a roll of Gaffer Tape so I can adjust Tiller on my 3 piece Take Down. I get the line in the Sand ideal but there is no simple solution. As each generation adds they're knowledge to the sum of each previous generations Knowledge Traditions must Evolve.

The cry I often hear , may as well allow Compounds be it in Jest or Heartfelt is ridiculous, Compounds are a Device relying on Eccentrics / Cams and the Limbs to propel Arrows. Recurves, Flatbows and Longbows all rely on the Bows Limbs to propel the Arrows, they are very different things. A Takedown System adds absolutely nothing to the Bows Ability to propel the Arrow.

Apply the same Materials and Design principals to a one piece or non ILF Takedown Bows Limbs and they will shoot just as well. Improvements in string Tension and Limb Mass add performance not T/D systems

regards Jacko
I couldn't have put it better myself, Onya Perry!! :mrgreen:

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

DavidM

#116 Post by DavidM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:07 pm

Well said Perry, couldn't agree more.

toby

#117 Post by toby » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 am

I have thought about alot of the comments that have been made in this post some i agree with & some i don't. Some of the things i did disagree with have had good arguements put forward & i find my opinions have altered on some of these things. Given that there's alot of people that wouldn't like to see the current divisions changed at all, I would like to know is there room for an additional catergory at some of the traditional shoots for say a modern traditional class. Maybe incorporating metal & wood risers with ilf fittings & bows that would be in the current catergories but when people want to shoot aluminium or carbons.I know it sounds hypocritical but i would not like to see this catergory used for brightly coloured olympic style bows, given that most of these types of recurves start at 21" & go up maybe restrict the metal risered bows to 19" & below as most of the hunting style ilf bow risers are usualloy between 13" - 19". Still no sights, release aids, clickers or stabilisers or any such things.This is just an approximate of what might be used.

Just a thought.
Lyonel

toby

#118 Post by toby » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 am

Sorry Grahame I forgot to ask, the link you posted for the Fita determination refered to the Longbow division only. Did they also have the same determination for the recurve divisions as well? Sorry i am not up to speed with Fita catergories.

Thanks
Lyonel

longbow steve

#119 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 am

toby wrote:Sorry Grahame I forgot to ask, the link you posted for the Fita determination refered to the Longbow division only. Did they also have the same determination for the recurve divisions as well? Sorry i am not up to speed with Fita catergories.

Thanks
Hi Toby, recurve remains the same where they can use any modern recurve on offer provided it meets the rules with regard to setup. Steve

GrahameA

#120 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:17 am

Morning Toby.
toby wrote:I have thought about alot of the comments that have been made in this post some i agree with & some i don't. Some of the things i did disagree with have had good arguements put forward & i find my opinions have altered on some of these things. Given that there's alot of people that wouldn't like to see the current divisions changed at all, I would like to know is there room for an additional catergory at some of the traditional shoots for say a modern traditional class. Maybe incorporating metal & wood risers with ilf fittings & bows that would be in the current catergories but when people want to shoot aluminium or carbons.I know it sounds hypocritical but i would not like to see this catergory used for brightly coloured olympic style bows, given that most of these types of recurves start at 21" & go up maybe restrict the metal risered bows to 19" & below as most of the hunting style ilf bow risers are usualloy between 13" - 19". Still no sights, release aids, clickers or stabilisers or any such things.This is just an approximate of what might be used.

Just a thought.
I do not know if the number of catergories should be increased (or decreased).

Over the last few years there has been a number of people who have mumbled about a seperate division for Asiatic style bows - however, I have never seen anyone put pen to paper (Pixels to screen) to draft any suggested rules/guidelines.

USA Archery has a Traditional Division and it has had a major change since it was introduced in that they now accommodate more modern stuff. http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Archery/Reso ... Rules.aspx

A few comments.

Why stop someone from shooting based on the concept of not being allowed to use "... brightly coloured ... " bows? Hhhhmmmmm.......

Why resrtrict bows based on a riser length? "... start at 21" & go up maybe restrict the metal risered bows to 19" & below ...". You can get short risered target bow.

It would appear that would it be acceptable to have a 21" risered bow with a timber laminated riser but unacceptable to have the same bow with an Alloy riser.

Do you intend to restrict the material in the limbs? Are limbs with carbon fibre laminations acceptable? What about Carbon Fibre risers?

If someone were to develop a division for more modern bows it would seem appropriate that a bit of thought and research should be put into them plus a fair amount of feedback so that a range of views are considered and taken into account.
Grahame.