Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Turner

Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

#1 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi all,
Being relatively new to trad archery I would like to shoots in trad events comps etc and was wandering what bows arrows etc qualify for traditional events and what doesn't.
I appreciate your help.
Cheers
IAN

bigbob

Re: Bows that qualify for trad shoots and restrictions

#2 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Far as I know [ it aint much!] usually 2 divisions longbow and recurve .ABA shoots splits longbow into 2 divisions generally modern and traditional depending on limb configuration ie deflex/ reflex etc.Most shoots like wooden arrows and feathers. again modern allows carbon arrows.Cant go wrong with flat laid longbow and woods and feathers.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

dan76

#3 Post by dan76 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Sometimes they throw in a primitive division too. They nearly all say no carbons , wood only and min of 12 inches of feathers. The trad comps are so relaxed about gear that there is usually a couple of shooters with modern ilf style bows and who cares so long as they shoot woods like every one else. I don't think i have ever seen any one turned away from a trad shoot because there bow wasn't right, I did see someone show up with carbons only once and another shooter went and got them a dozen woods out of there truck and away we all went :smile:

Dan

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:46 pm

at places like HVTA and Rob McKenzies, woods/feathers, three bow types basically wooden recurves, wooden longbows both glassed and selfbows. Both do not care whether your modern longbow is flat laid, deflex/reflex or reflex for trad events.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi Ian,

At the Trad only tournaments - basically No Wheels goes. There is a set of rules, however I am on the wrong computer to upload them right now. All are timber arrows only. Wisemans Ferry allow carbons/alloys for participation, however only timber shafts qualify for trophies. Caboolture has a Carbon Cup, which has limited support. As Dan mentioned there is always someone willing to lend timber shafts. If someone new just turned up at a Trad shoot, without contacting anyone prior, I do not believe they would be turned away, they just would not be eligible, so to speak, and be advised of arrow criteria for future events.
At Hinterland Trad last year there was a good number of brand new members who were getting into the Trad scene, and only had carbons, so were still allowed to pay the fees, shoot the courses, just were not eligible. They were all as happy as pigs in mud, enjoying the atmosphere and comradery, and will be back next year with timbers. The same thing has happened at the Caboolture Trad shoot as well.
I hope this has answered your query.

Ian, why don't you get yourself to the Wisemans Ferry shoot in March, and soak up the atmosphere. :biggrin:

cheers
sue

ps no crossbows either -( just for the smartypants ) :smile:

hardgainer

#6 Post by hardgainer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:35 am

Worth noting that a Trad loving recurvers shooting ABA comps....with their wooden riser'd... B50 string'd....wooden& glass limb'd...shot off the shelf...wooden arrows with feathers..shoot against target recurves with...adj tiller...pressure button...tech carbon limbs...with anti vib attachment....elevated rest...doinker...light carbon/alloy arrows with plastic fletch :shock: .
Come on in David :biggrin: :biggrin:

discord

#7 Post by discord » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 am

Do bamboo arrows count as wooden arrows?
HAIL ERIS!

temudjin

#8 Post by temudjin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey Discord,

that's a good question about bamboos arrows - I guess technically they are "grass" rather than wood aren't they?

But in all practial senses at a Trad Shoot I have considered them to be "wood". There are a number of people (more and more everyday) who shoot them already, and I am not aware of anyone having an issue with the rules and bamboo arrows.

littlejohn59

#9 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Trad Event.......Wood Arrow Wood Bow :biggrin:

Roadie

#10 Post by Roadie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Now that I would like to see. Cheers Roadie.

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm

as long as the arrows are not carbon or aluminium...... :smile:

I did see somewhere, and please do no quote me, that IBO or one of the big organisations, was looking at no longer allowing non-compound bows with any sort of carbon fibre in them.
Now before you all get up in arms, I said don't quote me, it was just an observation and perhaps I should have paid more attention, however I have no interest in these type of longbows/recurves so I stopped reading. So I will try and remember (oh goodness that could take a while :biggrin:) to relocate this snippet of information. Unless, of course, another more knowledgable member has also seen said information.

cheers
sue

littlejohn59

#12 Post by littlejohn59 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:08 pm

would a panadol help?

wishsong

#13 Post by wishsong » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:29 am

littlejohn59 wrote:Trad Event.......Wood Arrow Wood Bow :biggrin:
On self bows , or bows with no fibreglass , or straight, not cut to centre Hill style bows ...

absolutely !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidM

#14 Post by DavidM » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi Tony

I'm sure "Doinkers" are traditional :shock: Buy the way you forgot to mention the stringwalking :biggrin:

little arrows

#15 Post by little arrows » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:23 pm

yes please Ian, and a drop of scotch, and Mr Pink, I'll give you stringwalking !!!!....... :lol:

perry

#16 Post by perry » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:58 pm

:x AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - What is wrong with Gap Shooting, String Walking or any other Shooting System, Trad Shooters invented them and used them long long before anyone even new they where Shooting Trad Gear or had dreamed of Fibreglass- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh :razz: :razz: :razz:

Now thats out of my System :biggrin: The beauty of Traditional Archery is it's diversity

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

matt61

#17 Post by matt61 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 pm

I think the only rules for a Trad shoot should be two divisions Recurve or Longbow
and the arrows you use must have feathers only and you must shoot over the shelf
or over your finger.
Matt

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Hi Ian,

As far as I am aware bamboo arrows are ok.

It is only in the last year or so that the have become more prelevant at trad shoots so I gess it is timely for existing rules to be updated.

I have attached a copy of some trad rules used up this way.

Daryl.
Traditional Shoot Rules.doc
(44.5 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:51 pm

matt61 wrote:I think the only rules for a Trad shoot should be two divisions Recurve or Longbow
The only problem with that Matt is that at the few Trad shoots I've been to in recent years there seems to be just as many recurves shooting in the longbow division as longbows. :roll:

Jeff

littlejohn59

#20 Post by littlejohn59 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:01 am

I like your rules Daryl. I like your simplicity Jeff.

I have observed coming to Trad shoots Metal Recurves and carbon/aluminium arrows competing with wooden arrows and wooden bows.

Just let me shoot my longbow with woods and hopefully there will always be a category that i will be able to participate in. :biggrin:

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by kerry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

greybeard wrote:Hi Ian,

As far as I am aware bamboo arrows are ok.

It is only in the last year or so that the have become more prelevant at trad shoots so I gess it is timely for existing rules to be updated.

I have attached a copy of some trad rules used up this way.

Daryl.
Traditional Shoot Rules.doc

g'day Daryl , would note 2.4 be referring to an ILF riser ? cheers Kerry
Life is not a fairy tale,if you lose a shoe at midnight , you're drunk.

DavidM

#22 Post by DavidM » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Are steel bow trad :?:

V. R. Dikshitar, in his book, says that "steel was the new invention and the old things were cast aside for the new". He is probably referring to the Mughal period, when the steel bow was widely used. J. S. Lee, in his article dealing with steel bows, observes that the composite bow went out of favour about Shah Jehan's time (A.D. 1650). The Mughal period began circa A.D. 1526, so that this period seems to be a transitional one from composite to steel.
Bows and arrows of India. J.S. Lee, Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Vol. 2 (1959), page 46.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms ... tails.aspx
NORTH INDIA, CIRCA 1800

Just a thought

little arrows

#23 Post by little arrows » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:11 pm

yes Kerry, it does.

cheers
sue

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by kerry » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanx Sue, looks like the old hoyt will have to come out of retirement :biggrin:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by greybeard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm

Kerry,

Unfortunately 'yes', as you can imagine it is a difficult task as to know where to draw the line on the sand.

Personally I would prefer two divisions, one for selfbows, and the second division for every thig else. Just my preference.

DavidM wrote:Are steel bow trad :?:

V. R. Dikshitar, in his book, says that "steel was the new invention and the old things were cast aside for the new". He is probably referring to the Mughal period, when the steel bow was widely used. J. S. Lee, in his article dealing with steel bows, observes that the composite bow went out of favour about Shah Jehan's time (A.D. 1650). The Mughal period began circa A.D. 1526, so that this period seems to be a transitional one from composite to steel.
Bows and arrows of India. J.S. Lee, Journal of the Society of Archer-Antiquaries, Vol. 2 (1959), page 46.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/arms ... tails.aspx
NORTH INDIA, CIRCA 1800

Just a thought
I would say 'yes' as long as there is accompanying documation and they are not made with todays' high tech steels.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kerry
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by kerry » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:02 pm

thanx Daryl, gives me an excuse to buy another bow. but don't tell the missus :biggrin:

Roadie

#27 Post by Roadie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:33 pm

AH, but what sort, theyre are so many options, For me just give me a stick with a bit of cord and some Wooden arrows (Bambo ok), and I'm as happy as a Pig in Mud, Cheers Roadie.

littlejohn59

#28 Post by littlejohn59 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:53 pm

You pink arrow bow stirrer. David bring your rocket launching 5kg recurve if you must. I want you to b happy shooting. Trad with your equipment. Hehaheha

DavidM

#29 Post by DavidM » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm

LOL littlejohn :lol: you know deep down I love my longbow :wink:

kerrille

#30 Post by kerrille » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm

wood = plant

bamboo = plant

good enough for me ...

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont