Traditional Gatherings

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

MIK

Traditional Gatherings

#1 Post by MIK » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:58 pm

howdy doody one and all

i have never been to a traditional gathering is probably the best term

just wondering from those who have as to what sort of events are run with details to please

thinking about trying to organise one here in Gippsland.

thanks
MIK

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:33 pm

Hey Mik,

great idea! I will be in on that mate.

erron

#3 Post by erron » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:23 am

Mate,

I’ll be there with bells on! :D

The only one I’ve been to in Victoria is the Ballarat Traditional, a year or two back. It was a great weekend. They try to have one each year, and it would be a good idea to talk to them about logistics and the finer details of staging Trad. Events. I’ll try to get someone from the Ballarat club on here to discuss this further.

If you go to their web site they say there will be a Trad shoot this year, but no date yet.

If you decide to go ahead, I’m happy to do what I can promoting it at this end, and will have a crack at anything else you think of!

Well done :!:

Erron

TRASH

traditional events

#4 Post by TRASH » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:54 am

Gday fella's this is my first post so go easy on me !!!!!!!!!!

We run a shoot out here in the west called a trash shoot . The format seems to work fairly well. We have no scoring or pegs to shoot off and there are no trophys at the end of the day. People loose and or break more arrows at the shoot in one weekend than they do all year , they get unmerilessly sledged ,harrassed and ridiculed and they love it. ALL because its in good "FUN" . With most shoots now its about competion and people have forgotten how to have fun shootin their bows . A lot of people go out to practice ????? they dont go out to enjoy the shooting of their bows if you know what i mean . For more info about a trash style shoot talk to some of thes fellas jeff challacombe ,dennis laveranne, the spreights , vic jonson LEDGE, Nothing is sacred just ask mrs challa.
We select a couple of trash hardened souls to set up the courses the number of which depends on how many shooters there are. You only want about ten people in one group at a time . We only have one group on course at a time for safty as we shoot broadheads. so forty shooters you want 4 courses easy . The targets are set out with hunting shots in mind nothing easy here as a matter of fact sometimes you wonder if the fella who set out the course has shares in a shafting company. The first shooter picks a window and has a shot the next fell might follow his lead But testosternone takes over normally and it goes like this > You big girl thats not a window you could fit your fat **** through there this heres a window . It is great fun ..
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:16 am

now this just has to happen! I like it!

[/i]

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:36 am

Hey Trash,

welcome to Ozbow and thanks for such a great opening post! :)

What does TRASH stand for again?

These are the things I like about that shoot:

1) Fun
2) Broadheads shot here
3) Fun
4) No scoring
5) Fun
6) Broken arrows (did I mention I love making more?)
7) Did I mention Fun?

And I heard about poor mrs challa. :roll:

She still talks to you, then? :lol:

Good post Trash, and welcome again.

MIK, what do you think? Could it be done down in Gippy?

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:00 pm

Hey Trash it's good to see ya on here. Jude says to tell everyone your a terrible man and what you did was naughty. Also she said to say revenge can be sweet! :twisted:

What does TRASH stand for? Well our good mate trash (as in our logo model) might say it stands for "Traditional Roving Arrow Shooting Hunters". however I got to know this bunch and modified it a tiny wee bit to - "Traditional Roving Arrow Shooting Hopefuls" - which suits better I think. :lol: Just kiddin, I think.

The TRASH shoots really are great and we have a terrific time - err dear says - most of the time that is. :D

Erron, I like your hat Gringo! :shock:

erron

#8 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:19 pm

Muchos Gratios Amigo!

Where's yours then?

The Mex has spoke :lol:

TRASH

traditional shoots

#9 Post by TRASH » Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:48 pm

Yes
I agree Jeff
On all accounts i think we are all hopeful, just some of our hard line associates like to be called hunters :roll: but they take themselves a little to seriosly.
But then you could just be getting even and telling stories after shooting that steel flying disc with your oldest and favorite hand made arrow you could be forgiven for having a grudge

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:15 pm

Yeah mate, the sacrifices I make to give you fellas a laugh!

What about sticks falling on camper vans daily, gas leaks, trap door overalls, skindiving for leathermans dropped overboard in winter, how to flip a canoe in one easy step, rear end protection from charging boars (Glenn might be interested in that one). This list could go on and on and that would only be last years shoot. I wouldn't have missed a minute of it. :D

MIK

#11 Post by MIK » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:44 pm

howdy doody all

i have been talking with a few local longbowers and they are willing to set out a rugged range that will have everyone complaining about broken arrows ... thats not a problem however i think it needs to run to a course for safety sakes as was prementioned

Broadheads from my understanding at the moment are definitely not permitted to be used in a round - insurance problems

i was thinking of 3D targets in hunting like situations

fun should be a major factor of any weekend and although i go to competitions to shoot the best that i can ... winning means little to me and i usually hand the trophy back at the end of the day .. but scoring should be part of anything if only for further ribbing of fellow competitiors ... "KICKED YOUR **** TODAY"

i had some ideas along the line of
1) Flu-Flus in a bucket - a bucket out around 60 yads, drop them in if you can
2) Frisbee shoot - a foam disk or even a frisbee to be shot out of the air
3) Flying pig - a pig running down a string which of course with the help of gravity will run faster the further along it gets
4) speed shoot - 30 Seconds to shoot a number of targets scoring on the first before moving on to the second and so on
5) night speed shoot - a light comes on a particular target and is on for 3 seconds in order to shoot
6) Hunters round - as mentioned above
7) Wand Shoot - 100 yard stick - closest to the top wins ... actuallu i think the person who hits it will win :-)

things like that but fun should still be the ultimate part

open for comments or further suggestions

thanks for the responses so far
MIK

erron

#12 Post by erron » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:06 pm

MIK,

Almost sounds like you've been reading the "Roving Handbook" by Erret Callahan. Has a ton of really useful ideas for fun Traditional events. Do you have a copy?

I think you're on the right track - pity about the broadheads, but understandable - and any help you want, give me a hoy:

erron@netspace.net.au
Melbourne 03 9383 4850
0418 509 416
(no loud breathing calls, wife gets suspicious :lol: )

Happy to loan you the book, BTW, if it's any help.

Erron

MIK

#13 Post by MIK » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:48 am

i haven't seen or even heard of the book up untill reading your message erron

it would be appreciated if i could get a look at it at some point in time

maybe next time you head out with guy you could get him to pass it on to me for a quick read

thanks
mik

erron

#14 Post by erron » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:53 am

Hmmm, must get the book review section up and running :?

I'll drop it off next time I'm in Gundy territory, Mik. Maybe we could catch up for a shot or hunt?

Cheers,

Erron

TRASH

#15 Post by TRASH » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:40 pm

eH mik

I guess we are lucky out here we are'nt a club and do as we want as far as broadheads ect go.
We do some different things like 19mm marine ply cut outs of large boars ect with a two inch hole cut where the heart is and a balloon filled with red paint hanging behind it ya just have a box off to the side with replacement balloons in it. ALSO make up some flying bird targets out of those cheap plastic footballs full of that expanding foam in a can,cut out wings and necks ect all you do is throw in a couple of cement ones on the waters edge to liven things up a bit. and hang the rest of them at waterholes ect and wack em with fluu flu's .Then yuo might want to make up the shitting bird shot where you make a large goose size target hang it from the highest tree possible. All you do is have it fitted with a trap door and trigger and fill it with water/sheep/cow poo slurryin water balloons the new shooter who doesnt know about in the group is first to shoot lying on his back under the goose and lets fly with a flu flu he hits it and then the poo hits the fan so to speak just ask Challa i really didnt think he could move so fast. We also have tread the needle with a steel needle with a eye and we tie wool to the end of the arrows and try and thread the arrow through the 1 1//2 > 2 inch slot ,its devastating Or to make the same old flying disc a bit deadly wack in a couple of aluminium coated ones and make em look all the same dont tell no one and its a bit like russian roulettte . You could try shooting at a mim min light in the middle of the night in the pitch dark no lights and see who nails it . These things work for us plus other dark secrets but thats for next year .As for scoreing well i guess thats why theres a trash shoot then theres the rest . After all we're just TRASH and proud of it.HA :lol:

erron

#16 Post by erron » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:16 pm

Gives new meaning to the term 'goosed' :!: :shock:

You are a seriously deviant lot

:lol:

the Mex

MIK

#17 Post by MIK » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:23 pm

hey trash theres some great ideas in that lot thanks

one of our clubs here has a steel pig for novelty shoots ... needless to say rather devastating on arrows

heres a question for all .. Are Recurves included in tradition gatherings and if Yes are takedown recurves also allowed as long as wooden arrows are shot???

Erron - i am always at the club every Thursday night and Sunday .. well if theres no gippsland competition to attend anyway .. look forward to meeting for a coffee and a shot

i have never been interested in hunting but now i find that there is only one thing i would like to take a shot at and that is Turkeys in order to harvest some natural feathers for my woods ... just made some Camo woods for something different

thanks for the feed back guys
keep it coming
MIK

Dennis La Varenne

#18 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:41 pm

Mik,

Ballarat Bowhunters just held a Trad shoot in November. They usually hold one around this time.

I usually go but I did not get the email notice until I got back from my leave in Queensland and it was all over. So far as I know, it is the only Trad shoot held in Victoria and seems to be a welcome thing.

Gippsland could start their own, too. Like the Trash gathering at Boulia, you could/should include 'how to' stuff for those who want to learn the old skills. Not everyone needs to go out and shoot a round, and make scoring optional to keep the competition and prizes nonsense out of it.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

erron

#19 Post by erron » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:25 pm

Dennis,

how do we get on the email list for Ballarat Bowhunters? Better yet, how do we get some of them to join and keep us informed of what the club is up to?

Erron

huntress

traditional shoot

#20 Post by huntress » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:37 pm

reply MIK ballarat is holding their trad shoot 27/28,nov. traditionaly a great week end. plenty of camping spots great food , great company lots of fun , plenty of novelty events , running boar, shoot at a$20 note etc music and best of all no bloody compounds. hope you get here /huntress the cook. :)

huntress

ballarat news

#21 Post by huntress » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:49 pm

deniss la varenne good aye this is rudd. just read on the machine how you missed the shoot last year . you were badly missed old mate .where on the go 27th 28th nov. woudn'dt be the same without you. all the best RUDD

woody

Ballarats trad shoot

#22 Post by woody » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:58 pm

Dennis,
There's a flyer for Ballarats Trad shoot two post back in the Oz trad events section, which you may have overlooked.

Looking forward to seeing you there,
best regards
Woody
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow