Outdoors New Zealand Traditional Archery Challenge

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors New Zealand Traditional Archery Challenge

#1 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:34 pm

:wink:Sorry to have to remind those of you on the wrong side of the ditch BUT the Silver Ferns took out the netball, The All Blacks took out the Rugby, Bruce (the Kiwi) and his delightful wife gave you a taste of arrow at Gladestone. DON'T DISPAIR! You can try to get your own back at the Outdoors New Zealand Rendezvous January 27,28,29 2005. A challenge is being issued to all Aussie Traditional Archers to come and give your best shot to re-establishing some Aussie pride. Seriously we would love to set up a Trans-Tasman competition with the possibility that a few State Siders will also add to the mayhem. Working on a prog, that will get all keen archers going. If you are interested we would love to hear from you. Kiwikelvin
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:42 pm

Sorry to have to remind those of you on the wrong side of the ditch BUT the Silver Ferns took out the netball, The All Blacks took out the Rugby, Bruce (the Kiwi) and his delightful wife gave you a taste of arrow at Gladestone
:shock:

would love to come over but wouldn't that make me a JAFA? :lol:

buford

ps. Welcome to Ozbow :wink:
pps. disregard everthing i say :lol: anyone will tell you, i'm just here to make up the numbers :lol:
Last edited by Buford on Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#3 Post by erron » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:48 pm

Hey Kelvin, great to see you made it! Welcome to Ozbow! Sorry your first reply came from the resident junk yard dog :shock: :D :D

Which brings me to ask, oh Buford-one, what is a Jafa?

... I just know I'm gunna regret askin' :?

Erron

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:51 pm

Should have added, that I'd Love to make it!. Have a couple of mates talk about getting over to Godzone, will give them a rouse to see if they are able/interested about that time!

Erron

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:51 pm

Sorry your first reply came from the resident junk yard dog
see! :lol: :lol:

never herd of JAFA? :o

Just Another F@#$ing Aussie.

:D regret asking? :lol:

buford

erron

#6 Post by erron » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:54 pm

Nah, that's just about what I expected from you, mate... big bark, gummy bite!

:D

E.

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:56 pm

ROTFLMAO!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kiwikelvin

Outdoorsnz Rendezvous Jan. 2005

#8 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:17 am

Buford over here the last A stands for Aucklander,its be kind to Aussies week because sure as God made little apples the boot will be on the other foot one day. I would like to send details of the Rendezvous and optional Arechery focused associated tour over to you folk for some input reccomendations how to best do this would be appreciated. Thanks Kiwikelvin
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

erron

#9 Post by erron » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:56 am

Kelvin, by all means post away! I for one am keenly interested in what you propose 8)

Erron

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors New Zealand Rendezvous 2005

#10 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:57 am

Erron, My writting is a little hard to read, my typing a two finger process but things do happen. The proposal is currently being typed out and once completed I would like to send over a hard copy for some comments and reccomendations. Problem is at the moment I'm not sure of the correct postal address can you please supply it and I will dispatch the info as soon as it is compiled. Thanks Kiwikelvin :

erron

#11 Post by erron » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:54 pm

Kelvin,

happy to give my addy to you, but I'm no expert in archery shoots. I greatly encourage you to post it here for general comment. I assume it's being typed on a computer?

Erron

Nocky

#12 Post by Nocky » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:04 pm

Kelvin, some of us here in Gladstone have talked about trying to get over if we can, so some more details early on would probably be very useful in helping decide. It was really good this year having Bruce and Amber again as well as Eddie, Jim, Caroline and Terry and we really appreciate that they made the effort to come over. I haven't closed the muster2004@dodo.com.au email address yet so you could send me info there if you like. Also, when you have your actual fliers or official program, you can send them too and we will print it out and post up around the place for anyone who isn't on the net. Eddie also asked me about sending the results from the muster and I haven't forgotten, but did have some computer problems which I have just about sorted out, so should be able to send soon.
Cheers
David

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors NZ Rendezvous 2005

#13 Post by Kiwikelvin » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi David, Delighted to hear from you. The Kiwi crew really enjoyed there time at Gladestone. All the Kiwis at your shoot were here last year and from comments todate are all expected back for 2005. The "PROPOSED" programme is almost complete along with an archery focused tour and I intend sending it to Erron and anyone else would would like to share their thoughts. Once comments on the tour proposal have been received then, after appropriate adjustments are made, some numbers will be crunched and a firm package presented. There are already people offering hunting opportunities as optional extras. Reaction to last years Rendevous was very positive and the event in 2005 will definitely be even better. Every effort is being made to establish an international flavour to this shoot with the objective of an inter-country challenge which can be incorporated into an appropriate event in each participating country each year. A bit like the international rally car racing circuit. I believe we would all benefit from the competition and especially the exchange of knowledge. Where there is a will ther is a way and with goodwill on the part of all potential participants readily achievable. Will definitely send the data to you. Thanks Kiwikelvin

erron

#14 Post by erron » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:33 pm

inter-country challenge
- whoo, way to go, think Big mate 8)

Erron

Kiwikelvin

The Fat Lady CAN sing!

#15 Post by Kiwikelvin » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:23 am

Finally got the Rendevous and Tour detail into a transmitable form. Anyone interested send me an email requesting the data and I will send it back. If you wish I will keep you in the loop and advise you of developments as well. email rendevous@outdoorsnz.com

erron

#16 Post by erron » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:57 am

Kelvin,

this reads as one of the best Traditional programs I've seen! Fantastic Archers Tour that should entice anyone from here or the States with the readis and time to attend. Congratulations to all involved!

I've attached the .pdf file for people to download and peruse, hope this is okay?

cheers,

Erron
Attachments
Rendezvous Leaflets.pdf
(190.96 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors NZ Rendezvous 2005

#17 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:10 pm

Thanks Erron not sure how to open the attachment as presented, tried without success, That's not too suprising as I would'nt describe myself as computer literate. Working on some different shots for the long walk and some interesting specialties, challenging but achievable. Going to make the matched arrow competition a 3 arrow comp. and everyone will be a winner. Each entry will see the fletcher achieve a certificate which recognises the level of competence displayed. With respect to the proposed optional tour some feedback on the content, type of accomodation preferred etc would be most helpful when we crunch the $'s. Expressions of interest in hunting would also enable me to assess the best opportunities. Looking forward to some responses, Kelvin

erron

#18 Post by erron » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:56 pm

Okay, I finally figured out how to get the pages up on the Web with the help of Photoshop!

Here they are, for general comment:
Attachments
Rendezvous-Leaflets3.jpg
Rendezvous-Leaflets3.jpg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Rendezvous-Leaflets2.jpg
Rendezvous-Leaflets2.jpg (53.69 KiB) Viewed 7958 times
Rendezvous-Leaflets1.jpg
Rendezvous-Leaflets1.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 7958 times

Kiwikelvin

Outdoorsnz Rendezvous 2005

#19 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:50 pm

Delighted to see the number of visits the site is receiving and appreciate the few enquiries that have been emailed BUT a little more feed back as to content of both the shoot and proposed optional tour would be most helpful. This is going to be THE EVENT of the New Zealand archery year and it would be fantastic to be able to link it to parallel events in Australia and Canada/USA. It will happen it would be a real bonus to have some enthuiastic, constructive input from others. Regards Kelvin

erron

#20 Post by erron » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:29 pm

Kelvin,

I will post a few comments in a day or so, sorry to have been tardy :?

I have also sent a general email alert to all members as to this thread, and the importance of feedback, hope that helps!

cheers,

Erron

#21 Post by Guest » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:04 pm

G'day Kelvin,
Sounds like a well thought out action packed time, especially for those new to N.Z. Good luck with it.

I won't make it though as I will have just flown back (on the 14th) from 2 weeks in the Southern Alps and will probably be in the red in the brownie points department.

Mark K.

Kiwikelvin

Rendezvous New Zealand 2005

#22 Post by Kiwikelvin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:09 pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for the comments. One rquest, Please leave a few Thar and Chamois for us locals. One suggestion, make sure a BIG bunch of flowers goes through the door ahead of you.

Kiwikelvin

Outdoorsnz Rendezvous 2005

#23 Post by Kiwikelvin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:22 am

An update! After discussion with Master Fletcher Tom Lambert, it has been decided to make the matched arrow event a 3 arrow entry NOT 6. The construction of the arrows will be assesed against an Austrlasian standard, details available upon request. Every entry will have the opportunoity of being a winner as each Fletcher will be given a certificate which recognises their level of attainment. A match set of three will be selected as the best entry submitted. Our primary objective is to help everyone develope the skills necessary to perpetuate the full depth of the art os archery. Currently assessing the practicality of a parallel for flemish string making in addition to the arrow event. Thoughts please?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:52 pm

Kelvin,

The Master Fletcher Award is a good idea!

Please say a big G'day to that Ol' "Master Fletcher" Tom from me, Jeff Challacombe and my wife Judy. Been a long time since we shared a camp fire with him. We have walked a bit of Western Queensland together also.

I think having a defined judging criteria for flemish string making would be a little hard to do.

All the best with your organizing.

Jeff

Kiwikelvin

#25 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:56 pm

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the input and I will pass on your regards to Tom. Why not pay us a visit January 2005 and chew a bit of fat with him in person. There will be a big campfire and some rather nice venison to compliment the good company. I'm sure you would enjoy the occassion. Kelvin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:59 pm

Kelvin,

I am sure I would enjoy the occasion but I am not able to attend, sorry. Thanks for passing on our regards to Tom.

Jeff

little arrows

#27 Post by little arrows » Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:30 pm

G'day All,
looks like there will be about 4 of us venturing over from Caboolture and North Albert club - so come on you Gladstone guys we gotta put on a good show - hey cheap air fares Qantas $190 each way out of Brissy - it'll be a gooden.
catchya later
sue

ps. Steve is back on earth and has fully recovered from his back surgery and is walking, riding his pushbike, he's strung his bow and fired a few shots, but is still working up to it - it currently feels like about 80lb, - heck I'm almost having trouble keeping up with him.
s

Kiwikelvin

#28 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:16 pm

Hi Sue, delighted to read about your intended visit. Where would you fly into? I will see what sort of packages we can put together for you and advise accordingly. Regards Kelvin

little arrows

#29 Post by little arrows » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:29 pm

g'day Kelvin,
Not sure yet, having a big pow wow this coming weekend at our place to nut out some details, (hopefully before the amber fluid kicks in) - I'd say either Auckland or Hamilton - air fares are the same - if you catch the red eye specials - will know more next Monday.
will keep in touch.
sue

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors New Zealand Rebdezvous 2005

#30 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:22 pm

Hi Sue, Hamilton is approx. 1.5 hours drive, Auckland 2.5+ away from the Rendezvous location. The site is half way between Tauranga and Rotorua. Both areas that ,at that time of the year ,are great places to be. Look forward to the outcome of your deliberations and hope it entails a few laughs and no sore heads.Regards Kelvin