Outdoors New Zealand Traditional Archery Challenge

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors New Zealand Rendezevous 2005

#31 Post by Kiwikelvin » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 am

IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER! A very positive meeting with one of the producers of some of Sue's liquid amber was held Tues and the possibilities of sponsorship are looking really good ALSO Steve Wheeler has confirmed two of his TOP QUALITY hunting knives will be amongst the prize pool ( ues one of Steve's knives myself--need I say any more) STONEY CREEK are offering their support, and for those who wander around with their eyes shut and ears plugged their hunting/outdoor clothing is "world Class" Tempted to call the shoot off and keep all the gear myself. :D
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Mike

outdoors New Zealand Traditional archery

#32 Post by Mike » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:05 am

After reading all thats said about this event it has me pretty keen to consider heading over for the shoot. For someone who is new to a shoot across the water such as this :shock: let alone heading out of Oz, does anyone have any info about what you normally consider in terms of transport, camping etc given that there is only so much gear you can fly over with and archery and flyfishing gear is plenty big on the list?

I have emailed Kelvin for some further info but a local perspective may be a help.
Is anyone in the Sydney/ Newcastle area going :?:

erron

#33 Post by erron » Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:35 pm

Hope someone has replied (or will) to you, Mike!

Kelvin,

had a read through again. I really can't fault it, seems comprehensive, that's for sure. Perhaps you could give us more details on what's entailed in the following:

Spotlight and tracer arrows
Bowbirds
Cornstalk
Eagle Eye

:?:

I can mostly guess what they might be, but more details would be interesting :)

Erron

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors New Zealand Rendezvous 2005

#34 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Hi Mike, Have emailed you personally so hopefully that will help. But happy to arrange collection from airports etc. Should be settled summer weather over here so your usual summer clothing with a sweater for evenings should suffice. Definitely need to bring that bow, wooden arrows and of couse your favourite rod. We should be able to assist with most of your needs and expect to put together a tour package which will be both interesing and entertaining, the emphasis will be on things archery. Regards Kelvin
Don't be in a hurry to get nothing- adopt the pace of nature remember her secret is patience

Kiwikelvin

#35 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:53 pm

Hi Erron, Just a few brief words of explaination; Night shoot using spotlights and tracer arrows. We will provide arrows with tracer nocks fitted. When the arrow is fired the nock is illuminated so that you see the arrow fly just like tracer bullets. We expect to shoot in low light if not the dark with each group of archers being lead to each target and the group leader spotlighting the target for a fixed period of time for each shot. The bowbirds are the equivalent of shooting clays with a shotgun. The birds (disks) are thrown into the air at the call of the archer who the fires at the flying bird with a flu-flu arrow. Flu-flus need to be spiral fletched and we will have them available here. The Eagle eye involves a cash contribution of NZ$5.00 per participant. These contributions are added to the existing pool approx $200.00. Each entrant gets to shoot a a target with the equivalent of a tennis ball kill zone. Hit the spot you advance to the next round miss you're dead. When only one archer is left that person gets a final shot. Hit and you walk away with a pocket full of cash, miss and all the pool and entry contributions snowball to 2006.

Kiwikelvin

#36 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:03 pm

Forgot to cover the cornstalk shoot. A long distance shoot with arrows that have a special point fitted. The conventional 125gm field point has a spike fitted which gives the point a lenght of approx 150mm.Traditionally the arrows are fired at stacked maize(corn) stalks and each archer is awarded points according to the number of stalks their arrow pierces. A hit into the stalks is only the start how many stalks your arrow goes through is the key to winning. Arrows will be provided.

erron

#37 Post by erron » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:54 pm

Tres cool, Kelvin, thanks!

8)

Erron

little arrows

#38 Post by little arrows » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:24 pm

cheap air fares - fly into Hamilton or Auckland NZ - (almost the red eye flights) but for $165 out of Brisbane each way, check out Freedom Air.
Just have a few details to iron out - you know, like gee, getting a birth certificate and then a passport.......
catchya
sue

Kiwikelvin

#39 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:27 pm

Hi Sue, The ink must still be wet on the one issued when you were born. Why do young women always want to be a little older? Promise not to let the oldies know you should be shooting junior. If anyone is interested in joining the proposed tour we can organise the transport for individuals/groups as part of the package as we have good contacts in the rental vehicle area. Any thoughts as to the content of the proposed tour? Regards Kelvin

little arrows

#40 Post by little arrows » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:31 pm

a couple of motorhome - car rental places in Hamilton - for anyone else interested. www.paradise.co.nz and www.nomadnz.com.

sue

Kiwikelvin

#41 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:36 pm

Hi Sue, let me know what packages you come up with and I will see if a better opportunity can be found. Are you interested in all or any of the activities proposed in the optional tour posted. The tour was seen as a basis for discussion and is not set in concrete. Happy to arrange extras in accordance with individual tastes. / Regards Kelvin

bart

I'm gonna go!

#42 Post by bart » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:06 pm

I've decieded to head over to NZ for this shoot in january.
My plan is as follows
flight leaving brisbane at 8am on friday Jan 28 arrive auckland at 1.45 pm

Pick up hire car at airport and drive to shoot

Leave shoot on tuesday morning 1st Feb to catch flight from auckland at 6.15 pm to arrive back in brisbane at 6.45 pm

It's the busiest time of the year at work so I can't have any more time off than that.

I am wondering if any one else is considering doing a quick turn around trip like this and might want to share hire car costs

I'm planning on taking my small tent and camping at the shoot

All I have to do now is dig out my bow and start practicing

erron

#43 Post by erron » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:52 pm

Welcome to Ozbow, Bart! Hope you enjoy the trip to 'Godzone'.

:)

Erron

Kiwikelvin

Outdoos New Zealand Rendezvous 2005

#44 Post by Kiwikelvin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:11 am

:D Delighted to hear about your intended participation. If you drop me an email I will be sure to send registration details etc as soon as the forms are finalised. Looks like you will have more than just a little support from fellow countrymen AND women. Better kick a few Kiwi Butts to make sure we don't disgrace ourselves in face of all this Aussie presence. Great to have you onboard. Hope to put some attractive transport options together and will advise of any possible joint transport opportunities that I become aware of. Regards Kelvin

Kiwikelvin

outdoors New Zealand Rendezvous 2005

#45 Post by Kiwikelvin » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:03 am

The show is definitely on the road! Sponsors are coming out of the woodwork oferring some pretty neat prizes. Two very nice knives from Steve Wheeler, some quality clothing from Stoney creek, subscriptions to Bowhunting Down Under, a copy of the Tradtional Bowhunters Handbook by T.J. Conrads ( Primitive Archer fame) not to mention subs to the Outdoor Mag, tasty venison jerky. vouchers courtesy of N.Z. Archery Products and some liquid refreshment of the brown kind( the list is still growing). Seriously thinking of getting in some practise and entering myself. Tried Bowbirds well keep the disc on the ground for another challenge" running rabbits" and we are building a gizmo to ensure you have a little bit of a ?. There are a few folk over here looking for longbows and recurves so if you have surplus gear the trade blanket opportunity may be the means to move it. Most of the buyers are entry level. The Australian contingent keeps swelling which is great and the Kiwis are looking forward to the challenge. Looking to provide some special arrows so an indication of the spine weight participants are shooting would be helpful. Keep making the site hits and those cards and letters coming. Registration packs will be available very soon.

Basalt

Kiwi shoot

#46 Post by Basalt » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:24 pm

G'day Kelvin,
Thanks for the email I should have thought to look on here first. Bruce'y boy just happened to be shooting a good AUSSIE longbow the last day and being good sports like we Aussies are we thought it would be nice if we didn't try too hard. They were a top bunch of Kiwis at that shoot and I guess we're just going to have to come over there and settle the score, so you can count us in and I know Brad and Rowan Kane are in as well. Also Don and Lori Thomas [ Montana ] are keen to come they told me and I'm sure you could line Don up to do a slide night on Bowhunting Alaska or Russia. I can put you on to him if your interested ? It sounds like a real neat and well organized shoot so I hope the Aussies come across in force. Oh Yeh Bruce, you ain't shooting my longbow this time mate, 'cause Dave Pender reckons he's got a bottle of Scocth for me if I keep it away from you!! HA HA!

Kiwikelvin

Outdoors NZ Rendezvous 2005

#47 Post by Kiwikelvin » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:16 pm

:) Hi Bill, Pleased to hear that there will be a little more support for the Australian attempt to restore some national pride. To help ease the pain (for whoever needs it) there will be a little Monteiths (" real" beer for the uninitiated) smoked venison and Mills Reef wine at the two social functions.. Details of an ocean bow fishing jaunt will be sent out with registration packs basically for every 5 people booking a trip and participating in the Rendezvous one of those five will get the trip for free.Some great sponsorship coming through and the course will be interesting with a few new achieveable twists. The trade blanket times will provide some opportunities for everyone to swap their junk and see some really good gear from sponsors. Keep watching this space and keep those cards and letters coming. If I can help in anyway just email me or post the question here. Kelvin

Kiwikelvin

#48 Post by Kiwikelvin » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:18 pm

Forget my head if it wasn't screwed on I would appreciate the contact you offered Thanks . :oops:

Basalt

Emailes contact

#49 Post by Basalt » Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:13 am

Howd'y Kelvin,
I emailed you Don's contact mate. Oh Yeh by the way did you happen to just watch the FOOTY this morning :lol: :lol: Good game :wink: a taste of things to come I think :!:
Bill.

Kiwikelvin

#50 Post by Kiwikelvin » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:00 pm

:roll:As an astute german mother I know would say "we will see what we will see" The one thing we can be sure of it is going to be a hell of a lot of fun!

little arrows

#51 Post by little arrows » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:49 pm

Hey Bill - team newell's expanding - reckon it's gunna be good shoot - seeya over there.
sue

Kiwikelvin

the Kiwi is Flying

#52 Post by Kiwikelvin » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:39 pm

The Kiwi flies!!! Registration documents are ready to send and when you look at the quality of some of the sponsors prizes expect the entries to be high. From db"s Monteith to hennesy hammocks, not to mention the early bird draw for a $200.00 Steve Wheeler knife. You will be wined dined and get more than your share of Forest lake venison. In addition to the Bowhunting Downunder Subscriptions there will be vouchers for archery products from NZ Archery Products. This is just a few of the great things up for grabs. Send me your postal addresses RIGHT NOW! to be sure your entries are here in time for you to be included in the early bird draw. Email your address to me at Rendezvous@outdoorsnz.com Lets turn all this talk into reality!

Kiwikelvin

#53 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:31 pm

:D Well the details of the Rendezvous have been sent to Erron and a couple of other intending Aussie participants. Hopefully Erron will be his usual efficient self and help me out by adding the data to this chat room. Really looking forward to a great time and lots more competition from you folk on the wrong side of the ditch. If you would like more info or details posted direct then drop me an email and it's as good as in the post. Many.many thanks for the interest and support it is appreciated and certainly will add to the success of the Rendezvous. See you end of January!

Kiwikelvin

#54 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:39 pm

Lets see if I can do this?
Attachments
Rendprog2005.doc
(272 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

Kiwikelvin

#55 Post by Kiwikelvin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:42 pm

:? Now lets try the next bit.
Attachments
Rendrego2005.doc
(297 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

erron

#56 Post by erron » Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:00 pm

Kelvin,

my apologies, have been away all weekend, and not around much lately anyway :-( Will get nto this when I get home tonight, and post your piccies.

cheers,

Erron

erron

#57 Post by erron » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:14 pm

Ahah, now i understand: they are Word files, that's why you have to click on them to load them in a browser.

:oops:

Erron

Kiwi Longbow

#58 Post by Kiwi Longbow » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:30 pm

Howdy All

I was at the 2004 Rendezvous and it was one of the best shoots I've been to (and this is coming from someone who predominantly shoots a compound).

The O'Hara estate is a spectacular setting. Kelvin and his team at only a few weeks notice really came through with the goods. So I've got huge expectations for the 2005 event (no pressure Kelvin!).

I've tried to attach a few pics from the 2004 event - but I'm new to this so it may take a few goes. Hopefully the files are small enough. Some of you might recognise the odd face (Bruce, Amber, Eddie, Jim).

Cheers
Rob
Attachments
Overlooking the main gathering spot
Overlooking the main gathering spot
112-1254_IMG_small.JPG (41.21 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
Eddie lining one up
Eddie lining one up
113-1314_IMG_small.JPG (52.28 KiB) Viewed 5653 times
Kelvin having a go at the bow birds
Kelvin having a go at the bow birds
112-1283_IMG_small.JPG (41.45 KiB) Viewed 5653 times

Kiwi Longbow

#59 Post by Kiwi Longbow » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:33 pm

A few more...
Attachments
Eddie vs Standing Bear
Eddie vs Standing Bear
112-1274_IMG_small.JPG (51.92 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Jim talking turkey.
Jim talking turkey.
112-1270_IMG_small.JPG (46.45 KiB) Viewed 5647 times
Having a relax around the campfire
Having a relax around the campfire
113-1302_IMG_small.JPG (27.18 KiB) Viewed 5647 times

Kiwi Longbow

#60 Post by Kiwi Longbow » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:40 pm

Last couple...
Attachments
Jim taking a load off...
Jim taking a load off...
112-1257_IMG_small.JPG (33.63 KiB) Viewed 5638 times
The division winners (yes Bruce took us to the cleaners...)
The division winners (yes Bruce took us to the cleaners...)
113-1320_IMG_small.JPG (35.49 KiB) Viewed 5638 times