Gringa Red Ridge Round-Up

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Nutgrass

Gringa Red Ridge Round-Up

#1 Post by Nutgrass » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Red Ridge Round Up

Well this was a long time coming. With a couple of failed attempts, it was now set in stone. The inaugural Gringa Gathering was going to take place at Yowies place. A gathering of the Gringa brotherhood, along with a couple of much respected gentlemen that have been very influential in Rod's apprenticeship.

Now if your name is Moreton, you should probably stop reading now. You are not going to enjoy reading about all the fun & shenanigans , let along seeing the photos.
Blu-dog with drew his nomination, He reckons water world was going to be more fun.
Moreton deciding he would follow suit with a late withdraw, Something about staying home with the bride was far more fun than shooting a round or two with us.

So with that little ribbing out of the way. On with the story.
Saturday morning rolled around, I gave the lawn the once over before heading to Rod's to load him & his gear in, before we hit the road.
Arriving at Red Ridge, we roll in to find Bent Stick & Tea Tree (Mrs Bent stick) (A soon to be Ozbow member) the story about the name Tea Tree will come about I am sure.
Greetings were exchanged & the chairs were unfolded as the stories of hunts & shoots gone by were told whilst we waited for the rest to arrive.
A cup of Green tea or two later :wink: & we were in full bench racing motion with the inclusion of Ferdy, Stickbow Hunter, Dennis, John & Rabbits Valery. Tall stories were being told & as with every great story, they all grow an inch or six every year :wink:
Yowie's couple of dogs came to see what all the commotion was about, the white one completely unhappy with the story Ferdy had told ! He decided it was a crock & showed his disgust as he lifted his leg & emptied his bladder on Ol' Ferdy's hat, before quickly retreating with a large size grin on his fury little face, whilst Stickbow Hunter did his best cranky Dad voice.
There were a few laughs going on. Ferdy wasn't laughing for some reason, as he made way to a tap to give his old faithful hat a wash.
Yowie cooked us a feed

It wasn't long after then the bows started to be strung, the warm ups were under way. Which led to the arrows starting to fly, which in turn started the sledging.
The Start was announced, as we all followed Yowie to the first peg.
Rabbits was wounded, so was unanimously voted in as the official field photographer, occasionally mumbling something about stupid camera & passing it over for me to use.
A big thanks to Rabbits for taking as many pics as she did (489 photos of 100 things) got to love continuous shooting :wink: But the story just isn't the same without photos.
I have just selected a few out otherwise we will be jamming up your modems with a heap of pictures.

Stickbow Hunter lets loose on his first target

Now for some, it has been a while between shoots for whatever reason. So it came as a shock to all, that the very first target, had us all on the target card at least !

The next target had a few people nervous where they had parked their cars, but they all managed to survive unscathed.

Then came someone's idea of a seated target, then came the bush toilet. Nobody was left out !

Walking the trails between targets.

Nobody escaped the torment of the shutter as we shot.

With the sensational tree award looking hard to win, arrows were being broken & trophy class trees were falling like flies.

Dennis with what is yet to be confirmed, but possibly the largest photographed kill of this species in Australia !!!!!!!!!!!!! Possibly the WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following photos tell a story, Ferdy shoots & if you look in the fork of the tree, you will see where the arrow passes between the fork on its way to the target.

The following photo's show Dennis lining it all up and ..................................................................................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................

Onlookers were left :shock: :lol: :surprised: :lol:

Half time was called & we retreated for a cold drink & a feed. During this period some unusual species of hunter were observed.
The Australian URKLE hunter was spotted. It was just lucky for me, I had the camera handy & photo's were captured.

With Dennis leading the Gringa Tree award at the first break, he decided to step aside & talked Jeff into a retreat to allow another fierce fight for the trophy to begin.
Handshakes done & the dust settling from their retreat, intermission was over & the quivers were donned once again. The 2nd half was about to begin.

Well who would have thought, once the front runner had stepped aside from the tree award race, the competition would be so fierce. The arrows flew, like the Indian's played cricket. The sound of wood breaking was also very similar to India batting this summer. It could be heard splintering throughout the venue. Some arrows were lost, others multiplied. 1 arrow would become three.
Like all good shoots, it had to come to an end, target number 50-odd was shot. It was time to put the feet up & continue the tales that were started earlier.

The rain set in & the final Swinging ball shoot was not shot. Which meant the final scores could not be tallied until tomorrow.
One thing was sure though, the trophy for The inaugural Gringa Tree award was hotly contested. But a winner did emerge & the presentation was made on Saturday night.

With the Guest of Honour slightly liquored up, he presented the First ever GRINGA TREE AWARD to ........
........ Drum Roll

Tea tree (Mrs Bent stick)

With heaps of laughs attention then turned to a nick name for Mrs Bent Stick. Plenty were offered & many were shunned. But it was down to Tea tree or Wattyl. With Tea tree seeming to stick ! lol

The laughs & stories continued until we all called it quits & hit the hay.

The rain continued all night, but come shooting time on Sunday. It cleared long enough to get under way.

First up was the left over novelty event from Saturday. The swinging ball shoot.
How's ol' Rabbits form, she shoots 6 arrows for the weekend, 5 of them for the swinging ball & takes out the swinging ball award !

Image Image

A photo of the highly contested trophy's.

With the swinging ball shot & won, allowing Yowie to rig the scores to determine the winners. It was presentation time, so we could then shoot the final Freestyle round.

A little shy due to his now much lower beer consumption, the Big fella presented the final trophy's.

Yowie reading the results.

Then the victory dance when he wins :wink:

With the formalities all cleaned up, it was time to shoot the final freestyle round. Same coarse as yesterday, but shoot it from where you want. Some targets were missed out, some were shot from far away, some were shot from a near. But it was a riot, pick a silly shot or an easy shot, the fun facture was once again high !

Just a few randoms from Sunday.

The sky once again opened up & the rain was soon belting down. A quick walk back for the safety of the tarp was in order for a couple of photos & wait for another break in the weather.

About half of the broken arrows made it back for a photo, the rest still litter Yowies range !

With the weather not relenting, the time came to pack up wet & head for home. But nobody left feeling disappointed. Plans were hatched & the Gringa gathering look like it may poke it's head up again soon, although at another venue !

A huge thanks to everyone who came. It was a great weekend.
A huge thanks to Yowie for hosting us, all his hard work on the range, the trophy's & of coarse feeding us.
A huge thanks to Rabbits for taking photo's.

I am sure there is heaps I have forgotten. So feel free to chime in & add your stories & tales.

No responsibility is taken for the accuracy of this tale. Although it was written with some tongue in cheek & a good sense of humour.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Dennis La Varenne

Re: Gringa Red Ridge Round-Up

#2 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Yes,

I had forgotten what shooting without over-regulation and a bit of common sense could be like. I still remember the old days when we didn't shoot with a 'guardian lawyer' looking over our shoulders and nobody came harm. Adult self-responsibility was the go then. Seems to have disappeared since then.

Thank you, Rod. Thank you all.
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Bent Stick

#3 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:04 pm

If your not shooting a Gringa, ya missin out

Lookin forward to the next one
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:06 pm

How embarrasing; at least that Jesen bloke should now be happy that his pyjamas have seen the light of day. :shock: :lol:

Thanks everyone for letting Dennis and I be ring-ins for such a fun shoot and some great laughs. A few of us certainly do need more than a little practice. :roll: :biggrin:

A big thanks to Keith for being such a great host as well !!!

Jeff

Dodger

#5 Post by Dodger » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Barring the reference to a certain cricket team, this was an excellent read.

:mrgreen:

terryzac

#6 Post by terryzac » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 am

so whats the go, only certain gringa owners invited

terry

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:10 pm

It sure was a top weekend,with top people,thanks Yowie you did a great job getting everything ready ,and feeding us,the range was excellent as usual.

Nutgrass

#8 Post by Nutgrass » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:29 pm

terryzac wrote:so whats the go, only certain gringa owners invited

terry
There's no selection criteria mate :lol: just a core group that love a fun shoot that keep in contact on a regular basis. Most of us have been brought together by knowing the big fella & his bows.
We have been saying we should go here or go there for a fun shoot for ages & it finally happened 8)
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Great story and pics. Would have been a top weekend. Excellent idea and can see it becoming a must do weekend for 'gringa' owners.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:13 pm

tjensen wrote:Jeff, I thought you said you're pajama pants were too big, you seem to be filling them just fine
Do you really think so? :surprised: :oops: :lol:

Jeff

little arrows

#11 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Looks like you all had a top weekend. :smile:

cheers
sue

Keith Lee

#12 Post by Keith Lee » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks guys good time had by all, yes Tony there are some new shirts coming out soon, I WANT TO BE A GRINGA SHIRTS.

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 pm

yes Tony,old Urkle Hunter sure filled them PJ's :mrgreen:

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:54 am

Maybe we should call it the Gringa tree shoot,cause if you only hit the targets like Nutgrass did and not enough tree's ,you cant win :lol: :mrgreen:

Bent Stick

#15 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:03 pm

Yep Tea Tree has her trophy on the buffet (it's the thing that has draws and cupboards and stands against the wall a bit above belt height for the undomesticated like myself) and loves it
Attachments
right up their with the hairdressing awards, straight to the pool room
right up their with the hairdressing awards, straight to the pool room
Gringa Shoot 001 compressed.jpg (26.12 KiB) Viewed 6919 times

Nutgrass

#16 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Bent Stick wrote:Yep Tea Tree has her trophy on the buffet (it's the thing that has draws and cupboards and stands against the wall a bit above belt height for the undomesticated like myself) and loves it

Sensational work. A trophy to be proud of for sure ! 8) Looks the goods too :!:

Bent Stick

#17 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

If we get a few more we could make some interesting furniture LOL

wishsong

#18 Post by wishsong » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

if people ever question the why's and wherefores' of archery ... this thread should be their first port of call .

Great stuff .

Gringa Bows

#19 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:16 pm

It does look good,she did earn it,nobody can hit multiple tree's with one arra like Tea Tree :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nutgrass

#20 Post by Nutgrass » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:31 pm

wishsong wrote:if people ever question the why's and wherefores' of archery ... this thread should be their first port of call .

Great stuff .
I sometimes wonder if the story I write, gets across how much fun we have.

Thanks for the comment !

Bent Stick

#21 Post by Bent Stick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:27 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:It does look good,she did earn it,nobody can hit multiple tree's with one arra like Tea Tree :biggrin: :biggrin:
I am not going to say a thing, think i made a couple of good efforts :)

How long till we do this again? lol

Grunter Hunter 63

#22 Post by Grunter Hunter 63 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:40 pm

Well done guys and gals......well done Gringa's...........
And so its Tea Tree eh.........I like it. :mrgreen:
Become the arrow..........
Watch it all the way to the target.......

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks Gruntman :biggrin: maybe you'll wear a pink Gringa T shirt one day :surprised: :lol:

Nutgrass

#24 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 am

Spear Chucker wrote:Get stuffed I went hunting instead.

I didn't get invited OH that's right that Gringa is Tish's bow (not mine), Oh well that's ok then suppose it looked like you all had fun.

Great stuff that is how the Trash shoots started except we didn't have to wear pink shirts but just like you we had that looney Jeff there too!

Cool

Chucker

Bring Tish & you get an entry on association of being hitched to a Gringa owner :mrgreen:

perry

#25 Post by perry » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:38 pm

What is it wth a group of Trad Shooters getting together that makes it Rain ??? I honestly can not remember the last Trad Shoot where it did not Rain.

Top Photo's you captured the Spirit the Shooot was held in. I enjoy seeing Photo's and hearing even the printable Stories that come out of weekends like this

Rod do you make ILF Gringa's :mrgreen: Seriously now, out of interest - I don't seeing you around with a Selfbow Rod, have you ever made them.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Bent Stick

#26 Post by Bent Stick » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Perry it rains for Trad shoots because it can. Rain just can't dampen our spirit or enthusiasm LOL

Gringa Bows

#27 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:43 pm

No Perry,i'm not doing ILF Gringas,havent really been overly interested in selfbows,although i've got an osage stave in the shed that Nutgrass and i are going to make a bow each out of hopefully ,in the near future :biggrin:

Grunter Hunter 63

#28 Post by Grunter Hunter 63 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:48 am

A Pink Gringa Shirt eh................... Just might have to look into that....... Whats on offer these days '55.......
Become the arrow..........
Watch it all the way to the target.......

Gringa Bows

#29 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 am

Yeah Mate,i think you'd look kinda cute in pink,i'm mainly just doing reflexed hill style just now :wink: :biggrin:

Roadie

#30 Post by Roadie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 am

Ay you lot you forgot my invite, was there any water in the swamp. some great photos there, great to see everyone had a great time. Cheers roadie.