2011 Traditional Archery Get-Together

Shoots, gatherings, events and other happenings. Again, feel free to post appropriately.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 2011 Traditional Archery Get-Together

#121 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Who is this King James; is he a member of Ozbow?

Jeff

Guy Layton

#122 Post by Guy Layton » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Well.... What a top weekend...!!! :mrgreen:

I would like to send out a big thank you to everyone that was involved in making this shoot one to remember forever... An extra big special thank you to both Di and Nergal for making my family so very welcomed, especially Lola and Luka..... :biggrin: they are still talking about the lovely ladies in the kitchen that made them all those beautiful ice-cream cones with sprinkles... I may have had a few myself...!
Thank you to all that ventured far and wide to participate in this get-together.... it is also you that make this shoot so special...! I look forward to seeing you all again soon...!

Cheers Guy... :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Robert

#123 Post by Robert » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Jim Mason who was crowned King James of the HFA Challenge Round from Barrambah QLD, is one of the many archers that doesn't have a computer.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#124 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:08 pm

Thanks Robert; I had seen the face but didn't know his name. :biggrin:

Jeff

longbowinfected

#125 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 am

Jim is a top bloke besides being a pretty consistent archer and he is also is a pretty good bowyer. He makes great little semi recurve three part laminated bamboo [no glass] bows that have double sided mini shelves. They are great to introduce beginner trad shooters to trad shooting. They are relatively cheap and go really well. The one I bought a year or so ago has been the biggest surprise/value per dollar of any bow I have owned. I loan it to people who are thinking about getting into longbow or barebow recurve.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Brumbies Country

#126 Post by Brumbies Country » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:29 am

I agree with everything Kevin said re Jim and also his bows. I bought one at last year's Gathering, took the small shelves off to shoot it off my fingers. It performs very well, as long as I do.

Simon

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#127 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for the info fellas; it's good to hear of another bow maker around the traps.

Jeff

Robert

#128 Post by Robert » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:52 pm

A picture may be worth a 1000 words but I feel I should explain little bit about The Challenge Round.
It is very similar to The Snooker Round I shot in America, which consisted of 10 difficult targets, only 1 arrow was allowed in your quiver.

The Challenge Round , not recommended for the beginner
10 targets, 10 to 25 yards
Scoring is 8 or 2 for a body shot
only 3 arrows are allowed in your quiver
you are allowed 3 shots at target 10, providing you still have 3 safe arrows to shoot
this course may seem very intimidating, it is, but you are simulating hunting conditions.

Jim Mason (King) scored 58

Brumbies Country

#129 Post by Brumbies Country » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:10 am

10 targets 10-25 metres doesn't sound that difficult in isolation but a good percentage of the targets are set against a rock face/ set into rock crevices, some others are steep downhill shots and one is a fox set up on a high wooden frame (pictured earlier in this thread) with a very good chance of a missed shot going into the never-never. The steep terrain puts a bit of demand on heart, wind and limb.

For somebody who enjoys an archery challenge this provides a big one, and it gives you one heckuva buzz shooting it. Not saying I shot it well; something of the order of one 8 and seven 2's with a primitive bow. The relative slow speed of the self-bow saves you a bit, in so much as impact with hard surfaces sometimes isn't quite as devastating and your missed downhill/arerial shots dont go as far relative to faster laminated longbows and recurves, so my three arrows survived (albeit one bent). Those of you who enjoy a trad archery challenge should really think seriously about going next year.

Simon

stringnstik

#130 Post by stringnstik » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 am

Best stuck here because it was a hot issue at this shoot.
for those in the know....the "bandsaw" has arrived :) Iv'e almost warn it out already!
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Trad Bound

#131 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Thank goodness you got that Bandsaw you might have worn it out but mate I thought you had worn out your luck with Jacqui over the idea. Or did you need it to fix all the things that went bang on the Winni :mrgreen: TonyJ