Nice weekend

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Wolfgang D

Nice weekend

#1 Post by Wolfgang D » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Went out with Rod Macdonald on Sunday to an amazing property he has access to. Literally ALIVE with rabbits! :shock:
We went on sunday arvo and had an absalute ball! 8)
we stopped in at the house to say g'day to the owner and we headed off down the paddock for a few hours...
as we walked into the first paddock we saw lots of rabbits but a long way off and only when they were on the run. as we were walking a rabbit run to a burrow about 20 yards behind us. I quickly walked towards it even though Rod and my sister Tatjana told me that he had gone down the burrow. when I was a bit over 10 yards away he stuck his head up again and I was at full draw and back again before he could make a move. the rubber blunt hit him fair in the head.
in the next few hours I shot another rabbit that was sitting in the grass, Rod shot one with a broad head and another that made it down a near by burrow. It was very easy to loose a rabbit down a burrow as the whole property was absalutely littered with the warrens. The last rabbit of the day was shot by Tatjana. at 11 years old and her first rabbit she was over the moon to say the least! :lol: so as she stood there in astonishment I was running to get her rabbit. :mrgreen: Her 40# sammick deflex longbow did a fine job in bagging her first rabbit!
well it was a very, very fun day and I'd like to thank Rod sooooooo much for picking us up and dropping us off. he drove at least 240 kms just to make the day possible for us. once again, thankyou Rod. :wink:

Cheers, Wolfgang
'Listen one hundred times. Ponder one thousand times. Speak only once.'

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Nice weekend

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Well a big congrats to all of you on some fine hunting!!! Great to hear mate and good on Rod for taking you and your sister out hunting. Did you mange to take some photos for us to see? :D

Jeff

Wolfgang D

#3 Post by Wolfgang D » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 pm

no sorry mate. didn't take any photos.
I just have to go do some more hunting so i have something to take photos of... 8)

otis.drum

#4 Post by otis.drum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 pm

awesome day by the sounds wolfgang!
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:49 pm

good one Wolfgang,sounds like it was a fun day...................Rod

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Good on you Rod, for taking Wolfgang and Tatjana bowhunting rabbits. 8)

There aren't many ways of spending a more enjoyable day than hunting abundant numbers of rabbits on a large property. It's so much fun, the hours just fly by.

They're always hard to hit, so you did very well. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

rodney macdonald

#7 Post by rodney macdonald » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:02 pm

To all,
It is a bit of a suprise to see young Wolfie's Post but it was worth every Klm I had to travel just to see Wolfie and Tatjana in action on the hunt.
They are both very good with the bow and extremely patient at stalking while hunting. And above all it was my pleasure to be there with them.
I have some other properties lined up for future hunts.
Rod Mac

Trad Bound

#8 Post by Trad Bound » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Dear Wolfgang
Keep up the hunting and sharing the stories. You and Tatjana are brilliant at your archery I'm always pleased to see you at shoots like LB100 and Ballarat etc and see you online. You are very lucky that your mum supports your interest so much and to have a friend like Rod Mac. You are very lucky to have Rod as a friend.

Rod
Well done for all you do for Wolf and Tat you are a true gentleman.
Its always a pleasure to see your beaming smile and the cheeky smiles of Wolfgang and Tat. Keep up the good work.
Cheers tonyj

Wolfgang D

#9 Post by Wolfgang D » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:54 pm

we are very glad that Rod is so kind to have so much time to take us on hunts and to shoots.
we are very lucky to have such a precious friend like Rod is! :D
Those knew properties are sounding pretty good... 8) it will be great to see you for the Donald shoot.

Cheers, Wolfgang

rodney macdonald

#10 Post by rodney macdonald » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:35 pm

G'day Tony J,
Thank you for your post and the encouragement to Wolfgang and Tatjana they are realy improving in the sport of trad archery and hunting. I should have taken my camera instead of my bow last Sunday. Still when you think it just would not have been the same to do all thet walking without shooting at rabbits.
Rod Mac

roscoe

#11 Post by roscoe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:26 am

Sounds like you all had a great day wolfgang, congradulations. One day you will go on to shoot bigger game with your bow and arrows and you will look back at your bunny shooting days and remember how good it was. Did you see any foxes where you were hunting? With all those bunnies running around theres bound to be foxes. Many years ago a fellow showed me how to make a simple fox wistle out of tin (i still have it) and i used it for years and it drew in cats, eagles and crows also. If you would like to make one i will be happy to send one or how to make one. Thanks for the thread, brings back good hunting memories.... Roscoe.

Wolfgang D

#12 Post by Wolfgang D » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:28 pm

No, we didn't see any foxes but Rod said that there are usually a few and on one visit to the property Jefeory, Rod's son shot one in the back of the head with his compound bow. The fox ran past him at 7 meters and Jefeory shot instinctivly even though he had sights on his bow.

Roscoe, I sent you a PM... Thankyou.

Cheers, Wolfgang

excelpoint

#13 Post by excelpoint » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Way to go guys. Sounds like a blast was had all round.

rodney macdonald

#14 Post by rodney macdonald » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:03 pm

G'day excelpoint,
Thank you for your coment,
I must admit they did have avery enjoyable hunting trip and from my
point both Wolfgang and Tatjana are both very patient hunters and both
succeeded in getting rabbits on the day. It was good to watch.
Rod Mac