minimum poundage

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

ozzy

minimum poundage

#1 Post by ozzy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 pm

just wondering what is the minimum poundage that is capable of taking pigs and goats with a recurve( mainly goats )

cheers

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: minimum poundage

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:59 pm

A bow of between 55# and 65# would be best for hunting those two species.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:37 pm

As a general rule I would say 50# plus. A lot can depend on bow type, your draw length, your arrow weight and broadhead type etc. For me I would you as much weight as you can shoot comfortably and accurately.

Jeff

Crowcreek2

#4 Post by Crowcreek2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:21 am

...this is a question which will cause much debate and possible argument - for what its worth based on my limited experience I have managed to shoot thru both types of game with bows in the 47-52lb range with a heavyish (520-550) gr arrow with a 2 blade BH. Goats in particular would not present a problem with a well placed shot, under 20m with a 45lb bow in MHO.

ozzy

#5 Post by ozzy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:49 am

thanks for the replies

at the moment im using a 60lb compound and i have a draw length of 26 inches i havent used a recurve since i was 10 year old(now im 41) but looking at getting into the recurves they just seem to have a bit more of an appeal to them

cheers fullas

mick

dawallace45

#6 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:03 am

One of the most prolific bow hunters I've known never used a bow over 45# and as he got older only used a 40# bow , he had a shoulder injury and just couldn't pull a stronger bow , but he was also a extremely good hunter and stalker and for him a 25 ft shot was considered a long one , comes down to how good a hunter and stalker you are and how you place your shots

David

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:14 am

i would have no hesitation shooting either species with my partners 45# defiant. there is plenty of speed and punch coming out of it.

having said that, pigs aren't pigs. a large boar with good pads will take alot more power/speed/arrow weight, than an average pig or goat. but if you're a good shot and put one low and tight on a big boar, 45# will do the job IMO.
...otis...

roscoe

#8 Post by roscoe » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:30 am

I think that poundage is one thing, but matching the arrow spine to the bow and a good sharp broadhead is worth more IMO. You can have a heavy poundage bow but if that arrow is spined properly than the penetration is hopeless.....Roscoe

excelpoint

#9 Post by excelpoint » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:56 pm

For goats and medium size pigs 45# would be plenty IF you use the right arrow/broadhead combination and keep your shots within your effective range. Shot placement is paramount with any weight bow. An arrow in the guts from a 40# bow is no different to one from a 60# bow.

Wolfgang D

#10 Post by Wolfgang D » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:56 pm

I think a 40# bow shooting well matched arrows and shaving sharp broad heads would do the job on a goat. But Like the others, it's best to have atleast 45# just to be safe. But like everything, it all depends...

Cheers, Wolfgang
'Listen one hundred times. Ponder one thousand times. Speak only once.'

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:52 pm

my mate steve has used 40# longbow for a number years now and constantly gets pass throughs of goats at ranges of 30yds and bit more and medium sized pigs at 10 to 15 yds good shot placement heavy shafts and a good sharp broadhead is whats needed .

....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

looseplucker

#12 Post by looseplucker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Worth readng from TBB and also Bows and Arrows of the Native Americans - they were bringing down bison with short bows - which did not have long draw lengths etc. Not that I can preach, but I would think that good shot placement from a moderate strength bow will do a better job than bad shot placement from a powerful one.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Benny Nganabbarru

#13 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Okay, I feel compelled to gallantly uphold the hunting of boars with bows fueled by WeetBix! :D

Small pigs could be killed, I believe (I haven't proved it), with a 26# bow and the right arrows...

But when you get close to a big, northern boar - with big ribs / shoulders, an inch of shield and half-an-inch of dried mud - make sure you have some "ooomph!" in your bow. Around 60# is good, and a little more won't hurt. Most of the blokes you see on the forum or in magazines actually putting good boars on the ground are shooting at least 50#, with the majority, I'd wager, being closer to 60#. Those blokes know what they're doing. Also, around 60# isn't too hard for a fellow who's fit and able, and is willing to work at it. In the olden days, people used-to actually chop fire wood and load bags of wheat onto carts; these days, we seem to have an aversion to physical tasks. :wink:

Also, the fellows I've seen shooting heavy bows have all had arrows flying beautifully, and are as good at marksmanship as any hunting archer you may meet. :wink:

Sincerely,

Someone who's done all his tradbowhunting with 63# to 83#. :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:33 pm

these days i use my 70lb bows for hunting and target,keith my hunting partner uses a 47lb bow and he's had pass throughs on good pigs,but he likes to get in real close and put the arrow where it does the job........................Rod