Bow & Machine Hunting

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Axe

Bow & Machine Hunting

#1 Post by Axe » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Went for a goat hunt yesterday with mate, I took my Widow recurve and my mate took this funny look'n thing... :? at first I thought he was going to ride it? I think he said it was a "Confound" bow, I can see the reason for the name, it confounded me, and it beats me why anyone would carry this thing around the bush.

Admittedly it did shoot an arrow, that is after he pulled out his golf ball distance measuring thing then put this vice like thing that was attached to his wrist onto the string, looked through a ring with little pins in it, checked to see if the level on the ring thing had the bubble in the middle
He then repeated the whole process because the goat had by this time moved from where the golf distance thing first told him how far away it was, luckily the goat stopped for 5mins to allow enough time to prepare for the shot or we could have been there for ever

The shot having been made and the goat being felled I was reasonably impressed, that was until I was advised that although the Confound bow had all these funny little things on it it did not have a swiss army knife to skin or butcher the animal, I was amazed :shock: the only thing that could have been of any value had been ommitted by the inventor of this weird contraption

After wittnessing the event I was concerned that my Widow didn't have enough stuff hang'n of it, but I persevered and was lucky enough to get a couple...I might however put a level and a protractor on it so I am able to work out the slope of the hill I'm standing on.

You'll note that although his bow has all the stuff on it it was still necessary for him to gauge the wind with his finger?
Attachments
BBilly12-9-09.JPG
BBilly12-9-09.JPG (148.43 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
WBilly12-9-09.JPG
WBilly12-9-09.JPG (108.81 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
JeffBilly.12-9-09.jpg
JeffBilly.12-9-09.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
JeffBilly2.12-9-09.jpg
JeffBilly2.12-9-09.jpg (128.8 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

Longclaw

Re: Bow & Machine Hunting

#2 Post by Longclaw » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:48 pm

Nice hunting, and well told :lol: :lol: :lol:
Emma

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:50 pm

hey Axe, the bloke with the gunpound has a funny look on his face :lol: ...........Rod
Last edited by Gringa Bows on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piggy

#4 Post by piggy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:52 pm

well done lads, Coach were you pointing out another goat up on the hill? :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Well told Bob, well told! :lol:

That'll teach you for leaving the Trad bow at home Jeff, shame on you. :D Nice billy though.

I love the look of the country you fellas hunt in as it is so different to western Queensland where I hunt goats.

Jeff

Coach

#6 Post by Coach » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

I'll reply properly later ,, I am P1ssing myself here :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Then I'll tell you guys about the Goat Whisperer/Moaner !
You're an ****** Axe 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Damn ,, it edited my word ,,oh well, you know what I am calling you Axe :wink:

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:13 pm

70 views and only 5 replies ,,disappointing :cry:

Oh well , this is how it REALLY went . :wink:
I took the Compound and the Recurve as we had to get as many as possible , as the owner wanted some gone and I hadnt made up my mind as to which bow I was going to use .
When I got there , I told Axe I had both and he said " Ya better use the compound as I dont want you and that Bear Grizzly outshooting me and my Widow like you always do " So me being the nice bloke I am ,took the compound 8) :lol:
I used the Rangefinder as I had not had it long and wanted to see how it went . I only got it for the Deer Rut when I may have to take the odd long shot .It is a pain in the butt , thats for sure . :roll:

Now on to the Goat Moaner . We were sitting under a tree having a break , when all the Goats came back into the paddock :shock: By this time it was pretty hot and I think Axe was suffering from heat exhaustion , as he started Naming certain Goats :o
Well , next thing I know , he is talking to them in Goat language , strangest thing I had ever seen and the funniest :lol:
The first Goat he "spoke" to was Larry . "Laaaarrrrryyyy" Axe called and then this poor goat , who must have known his own name ..looked up in a startled fashion :lol: :lol: Axe also spoke to a few others ,, their "names" escape me as I type this :D
I was going to video this strange behaviour from Axe and post the clip up ,, but something about me being hurt and not being able to shoot a bow ever again was said so I refrained from doing so 8) :lol:

Next time the Bear is coming out on the hunt and I hope to have some Trad game on the ground again to show you all , if ya interested :wink:
It was a top day as usual Axe ,and interesting , thanks for coming over :D

PS , Yes Piggy , I was point out/at another Goat 8)

Nephew

#8 Post by Nephew » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:58 pm

I don't know, I read them both, but I think I prefer the first tale! :wink: :D
Onya boys, sounds like a great way to spend a few hours, hey.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:32 pm

I used the Rangefinder as I had not had it long and wanted to see how it went .
Going by the photos those ranges looked big enough for a blind man to find so what the heck did ya need a range finder for? :? :wink: :lol:

Jeff

Coach

#10 Post by Coach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:42 pm

OK Moreton and Jeff , ya both smart asses ,, I will just cop it sweet 8) :lol:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

Coach

#12 Post by Coach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Laugh ya barstards ,, its all fun and games till someone loses an eye 8)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm

Well , next thing I know , he is talking to them in Goat language , strangest thing I had ever seen and the funniest
The first Goat he "spoke" to was Larry . "Laaaarrrrryyyy" Axe called and then this poor goat , who must have known his own name ..looked up in a startled fashion
This sure does bring some strange images to mind! :shock: :lol:

Jeff

Tommo

#14 Post by Tommo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 am

Nice billy Coach and go the Widow Axe.
Coach wrote: Next time the Bear is coming out on the hunt and I hope to have some Trad game on the ground again to show you all , if ya interested
That would be the go.

Out of interest what was the spread on your goat?

Axe

#15 Post by Axe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:13 am

Tommo wrote:Nice billy Coach and go the Widow Axe.
Coach wrote: Next time the Bear is coming out on the hunt and I hope to have some Trad game on the ground again to show you all , if ya interested
That would be the go.

We couldn't measure 'em Thommo, the Confound bow didn't have a tape on it and the golf ball distance thing said they were 20metres, which I would dispute :!: :)

Tommo

#16 Post by Tommo » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:27 am

:lol: :lol:
Oh well his swing must be pretty good to achieve a hole in one on the billy. Did he yell out 'FOUR' before he shot?

stringnstik

#17 Post by stringnstik » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks for posting this guys a real laugh from start to finish....except for the goat I guess... speaking of which do we have the goats interpretation on this saga and that of Laaaarrrryyy. I really feel it only fair to here it from the goats mouth as well :)
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

Nephew

#18 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 am

What I'd like to know is...Why was Laaarrrryy so attentive at the sound of Axe calling his name, as if he recognised the voice? Do you and Laaaarrryy have a secret, illicit history, Axe? :lol:

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:07 am

Coach wrote:OK Moreton and Jeff , ya both smart asses ,, I WILL JUST COP IT SWEET 8) :lol:

Blimey! Will someone please keep a record of this for posterity? This happens less often than the Sun eclipsing the Moon! :wink: :D

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 am

i dont know Coach,your position behind that billy,and the look on your face ,where did you just put that finger :?: :lol: :lol:

Longclaw

#21 Post by Longclaw » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:39 am

I love Coach's version too :lol:
Emma

Axe

#22 Post by Axe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Longclaw,

I can understand why one would appreciate Coach's version, not only for the human side of giving sympathy for the ravings of a delusional man, but often fiction is more interesting than fact. :shock:

As for me suffering heat exhaustion and therefore talking to goats, why wouldn't I?, after all listening to the whimperings of "geez it's hot, will you carry my Comfound bow Axe"? or "my packs heavy, last time I'm tak'n a leg of lamb for lunch" but to top it of, "you can put me down now Axe, my golf distance thing says it's only 50m to the car" is bound to take it's toll on anyone. :lol:
All in all it was a top day, thanks Coach, and I would gladly do it again...talk to the goats I mean :lol:

Lindsay

#23 Post by Lindsay » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:46 pm

Moreton wrote:What I'd like to know is...Why was Laaarrrryy so attentive at the sound of Axe calling his name, as if he recognised the voice? Do you and Laaaarrryy have a secret, illicit history, Axe? :lol:
Goats are the new sheep !! :shock: :lol:
Dave Beeler Longbow 56" 60#
Kohannah Hunter T/D recurve 62" 56#
Motu Magnum R/D longbow 66" 74#

Antonio

#24 Post by Antonio » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm

thanks for the post and pictures .its a good reminder for me what its all about .lifes to short for working all the time got to get out there .
good to see people having fun .nice goats to .nice scenery ,hilly with bush and cover .you can have great fun stalking with that type of cover .
love the pictures its a good wake up call for me to get out there .I am south American so I don't know much about the middle east but you two guys could open up a kebab shop.
think abouts it could be good business . :D :D :D

Coach

#25 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Tommo wrote:Nice billy Coach and go the Widow Axe.
That would be the go.

Judging by my arrow length ,, he was a smidge over 30" :D

Nephew

#26 Post by Nephew » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:16 pm

Lindsay wrote:
Moreton wrote:What I'd like to know is...Why was Laaarrrryy so attentive at the sound of Axe calling his name, as if he recognised the voice? Do you and Laaaarrryy have a secret, illicit history, Axe? :lol:
Goats are the new sheep !! :shock: :lol:

Coach

#27 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Axe wrote:Longclaw,

I can understand why one would appreciate Coach's version, not only for the human side of giving sympathy for the ravings of a delusional man, but often fiction is more interesting than fact. :shock:

As for me suffering heat exhaustion and therefore talking to goats, why wouldn't I?, after all listening to the whimperings of "geez it's hot, will you carry my Comfound bow Axe"? or "my packs heavy, last time I'm tak'n a leg of lamb for lunch" but to top it of, "you can put me down now Axe, my golf distance thing says it's only 50m to the car" is bound to take it's toll on anyone. :lol:
All in all it was a top day, thanks Coach, and I would gladly do it again...talk to the goats I mean :lol:
Somehow I missed this when I posted earlier :shock:
I wasnt whimpering ,, I was stating a fact . ( Just for Otis if he looks ) . :lol:
The leg of Lamb was for the owner of the property ... not my fault you ate it all and didnt share !
And when you put me down ,, it was actually 100m to the car , the "Golf Thingy " was wrong , as I counted those steps ! :lol:

Yes it was a top day .. you were with Coach ,, why wouldnt it be . You would be better off talking to the goats , as I couldnt understand a word you said ,, even if I did understand ,, it was probably all crap anyway :roll: :lol:

Coach

#28 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:i dont know Coach,your position behind that billy,and the look on your face ,where did you just put that finger :?: :lol: :lol:
I'm not telling ,, thats private 8)

Gringa Bows

#29 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:53 pm

Coach

#30 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:16 pm

LB rod 55 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah , laugh ya bugger ,, I bet you have been there , Aye ? 8) :lol: