Young Billies as Eaters ????

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

Young Billies as Eaters ????

#1 Post by Coach » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:17 pm

Who here chooses young Billy Goats as an eater when hunting :?:
I dont particularly like Goat meat at the best of times .. but if I had to eat Goat I would take a really young Kid nanny .
So , why do people take young Billies ? Or is it just a reason to justify taking a goat ?
I dont know , but it does seem weird seeing so many Billies taken for meat , and I am not talking about just one in a hunt , but 2 or 3 , with a comment along the lines of , "We took these 3 Young Billies for meat" YUK ,, I would rather one small Nanny to eat :D
What do you guys aim for in an eater ?

M.Hogan

Re: Young Billies as Eaters ????

#2 Post by M.Hogan » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Yer occasionally, but these days I am going for the bigger trophy goats. But on one particular hunt I got lost :oops: and had to shoot a goat for food because I was silly and did not pack extra food :oops:. This was during a 6 day hunt on my mates property. I found my way out of the property after a extra day.

I was scared :cry: :cry: :cry:

g_r

#3 Post by g_r » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

I dont know about the taste of youre billies, but my uncle is breeding goats on an opne range (no stable) and i like the young billies for eating. especially the chops, marinated in rosmary, thyme and olive oil, grilled and topped with garlic-yoghurt sauce.........Yummy!
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

David

#4 Post by David » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:25 pm

Dog meat mine luv em

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Yeah , I take my goats for the landowners Dogs and my puppies like it as well , I make no bones about it :)
Survival situation ,, I would eat whatever I came across :D

I suppose what I am getting at , is the Justification that some hunters feel they have to provide to others in saying that they took them for meat , when really , they would taste like crap .
I suppose it comes down to the world we live in , where we have to justify everything :roll:
Anyway , I would still never eat a Billy if I had a choice :wink:

Antonio

#6 Post by Antonio » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:36 pm

I am going on a Hunt in a couple of weeks but I will be hunting mainly rabbits 8) :D .
This property is big but not that big and If I do see a few goats I wont go for them in case its one of the farmers one :shock: .But when I go to the state forests It will be open season for goats . :wink:

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:50 pm

OK Antonio ,, so will it be a young Nanny or a Young Billy for you "?

tracker

#8 Post by tracker » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Coach wrote: I suppose what I am getting at , is the Justification that some hunters feel they have to provide to others in saying that they took them for meat , when really , they would taste like crap .
I suppose it comes down to the world we live in , where we have to justify everything :roll:
Saying, " took this goat for meat " only implies that you are going to eat it. Maybe the meat is for a dog... but seriously... you're right matey. It's the standard phrase under anything without spectacular bragging bits these days.

I think we should aim for something more novel.

"I took this rabbit because one my sister had, bit me when I was a kid."
"I took this nanny because I like the colour of fresh arterial blood on the gumleaves in the morning light."
"I took this sow because it reminded me of my mother in law."

See... it's easy.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Antonio

#9 Post by Antonio » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:55 am

You know Coach I have not shot a goat yet .But when I get one .I will be sure to reply .
To this particular thread even if its years down the line and you have forgotten all about it .Ill reply . :lol: 8)

jindydiver

#10 Post by jindydiver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:08 am

tracker wrote:
"I took this rabbit because one my sister had, bit me when I was a kid."
"I took this nanny because I like the colour of fresh arterial blood on the gumleaves in the morning light."
"I took this sow because it reminded me of my mother in law."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:07 am

last goat i got for it's skin was a young billy,threw the back straps and meat off the back legs into a camp oven with vegies,mate i have no complaints................Rod

mozza

#12 Post by mozza » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm

I have two marinading in my fridge at the moment, nothing wrong with them if they are young.
Ideally I would be after a nanny for meat, but if you can't find the nannies and you can find the young billies and you want to fill the freezer, the billys taste fine IMO, as long as they aren't old billies :)

Coach

#13 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Oh well , each to their own I suppose , but I will stick to a kid nanny for mine :)

TEX

#14 Post by TEX » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 pm

I had some goat loin chops at a friends farm they were nicer than any lamb I have had had before but I must say it was a boar nanny goat.
Under the grill very nice no fatty after taste like lamb.
Don't get me wrong I love lamb as well.
Tex

Coach

#15 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Pity the ones around here didnt taste more like Lamb ,, I know the Dogs would get less of what I shot :lol:

Slackshot

#16 Post by Slackshot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Herb and Honey pickle,young goat of any sex,baked ...or cold smoked,then cooked.Lovely tucker,and i believe Goat is the most eaten meat in the world :shock: .I go hunting to eat what i kill or to use the skin for whatever.Jindy and Tracker :lol: :lol: very good
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Coach

#17 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:49 pm

Seems to me that a lot of Flavours have been added to some of the Goat you guys are bagging ,, musnt be too good to have to do that :lol:
Curry anything and it will taste good , thats why Spices were so valued back in the day ,, could spice rotten meat and it still was edible :lol:

I think I will take Trackers suggestions :lol: I killed it , cause I could :wink:

matt_d

#18 Post by matt_d » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Mate I think I actually prefer the taste of billies, but could have just been the luck of the draw that I've had better meals with them. Nothing better than kid goat madras curry. It's not to hide the flavour of the meat, I just love a good curry. I've done the meat before just as grilled backstraps with a hint of garlic and lemon juice on top of a salad with a bit of natural yoghurt.. bloody beautiful!! :D
Cheers,
Matt

Coach

#19 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 pm

matt_d wrote:Mate I think I actually prefer the taste of billies,
Matt
Thats cool Matt , you eat that male meat and enjoy it :wink: Good to see a post about hunting that is actually getting replies :D

Gringa Bows

#20 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 pm

i've tried both young nanny and young billy at different times out hunting i dont remember any difference,they were only half grown and we were starving at the time so i dont think it matterd what they tasted like :wink:

Coach

#21 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:01 pm

OK ,, so as long as you dont care what they taste like and you are starving , they will be fine ??
Starting to sound like , they taste like crap :roll: Any one out there need a bigger shovel :lol:

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:27 pm

they tasted better than macdonalds :mrgreen:

Jeffro

#23 Post by Jeffro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Yeh I notice a lot of posts where they claim to have shot it for meat and its bullshi t.Yeh sure you carried out a billy and ate it.course you did :wink:
We shot 2 kids and 2 nannies a few weeks back and all 4 of them were loaded onto my ute,taken back to the house,skinned gutted and hung in the cool room at my uncles place.He already told me that they had a roast kid already and reckons it was beautiful.He's gonna make salami's and sausages from some of it.

Coach

#24 Post by Coach » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:37 pm

Jeffro wrote:Yeh I notice a lot of posts where they claim to have shot it for meat and its bullshi t.Yeh sure you carried out a billy and ate it.course you did :wink:
And theres the point , thanx Jeffro :lol:

Gringa Bows

#25 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:51 pm

was'nt hard to carry them out they were small back legs and backstraps wrapped in the skin,and i said it did'nt matter what they tasted like, not they tasted bad :lol:

Stephen Georgiou

#26 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:49 pm

suppose it comes down to the world we live in , where we have to justify everything
Not to you.

Why do you care what people do, and why do they have to justify themselves to you?
You hunt because you enjoy it. Good for you.
Thats your choice.
If people feel like they want to use what they shoot whats wrong with that and why are you looking for someone to give a contrary point of view so you can have a go at them?
To agitate is one of the easiest and simplest things to do.
You obviously have a few brains so why not use them for something more constructive.

Slackshot

#27 Post by Slackshot » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:27 pm

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slackshot aka Gary Case

Nephew

#28 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 am

I must have read it differently to you fellas. I don't see Coach saying anyone has to justify anything to him. In fact, quite the opposite! I saw him deploring the fact that a lot of folk feel the need to pander to the P.C. brigade and write what is obvious nonsense to justify something they have no need to to feel obligated to justify. I think he is trying to have a intelligent discussion as to why some folk seem to want to encourage certain minority sections of our society ( that wield power WAY beyond both their size of numbers, and their useful contribution to society. For example- http://qcl.farmonline.com.au/news/state ... 13930.aspx ) by captioning pics of billies with large horns with the ubiquitous "I shot this for meat" when Blind Freddie can see that's just not true, and good on him. The Politically Correct bullies of our society need to be confronted now and then to put 'em back in their cages. :wink: We shouldn't make concessions to Animal Lib thugs as folk have felt the need to in Coach's example (and surely we can all agree on that aspect of his argument. We have all seen these silly captions claiming pure nonsense and rolled our eyes, yeah?), we should be contributing to exposing A.L. types for the nitwits they are by refusing to pander to their whims and desires of Utopia! "Life can be tough for both Humans and animals, get over it P.E.T.A!" is surly a more sensible approach than trying to appease them with lies? That path leads to Hell for us, my friends!
In summary, although I agree with the basic motivation of your post Stephen, I respectfully suggest that although it is the right sentiment ( "no one should have to justify legal action to anyone else", I think that's right) perhaps Coach is not the appropriate target. Your gripe should be with those that would restrict your right to hunt through the devious guise of compassion, when their major motive is they just don't like folk who see things differently to them and wish to impose unfair standards on us. Not because of any altruistic notions towards the forest creatures, but for purely punitive and hateful discriminatory motives. Trust me on this, I spent a good deal of my late teens, early twenties in the company of folk who think they have the right to impose their inexperienced world view on others. Truth be told, I and most other young men with those kind of A.L., Uni student "leftist" perspectives hold them because it impresses a lot of the young women in that group, and nothing else.
I say we stick together, not fragment through differences in personalities. Confront these folk, not give in to them, even in small increments like insincere captions on pictures, or we may one day find we no longer have the right to hunt, or even DISCUSS hunting. Think it can't happen, ask anyone in your area who rides a Harley and has a beard how well his civil rights have been respected lately. :wink:
I may be wrong on how I've interpreted Coaches motives for his question, but it's only my opinion.
Anyway,I'm with Trackers answers to the busy bodies who think they deserve an answer as to why you have hunted any particular beast. "Bu##er off and mind your own business" might be an even better reply. :wink:
Last edited by Nephew on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jindydiver

#29 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:43 am

Moreton wrote: Anyway,I'm with Trackers answers to the busy bodies who think they deserve an answer as to why you have hunted any particular beast. "Bu##er off and mind your own business" might be an even better reply. :wink:
"Why do you care" is what I think when I see people demanding answers to personal choices. If it doesn't materially affect you why is it even any of your buisness :)

And the same can be said for questions asking peoples motives for the statements they make. So what if you don't believe what people are saying, it is their hunt and they can use whatever language they like to describe it.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Nephew

#30 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:15 am

I certainly agree, Jindy that folk are at liberty to describe a hunt in anyway they like, I just suggest that maybe it could be dangerous to OUR liberty to hunt if we are doing it to pander to the sentiments of those that really shouldn't have any say in the argument. Those slightly unnerving folk that would ascribe anthropomorphic attributes to animals and then use that wacky perspective to have hunting outlawed. Legislative changes like banning hunting rarely happen in revolutionary fervour, but in small incremental steps. You know, "Move the fence line in a little bit each week and the sheep wont notice their boundaries shrinking."
Please understand I'm not in any way claiming any authority to prescribe what is right or wrong, just trying to sort of play "Devils Advocate" in order to promote discussion, and I think that may have been what Coach was doing too.
Last edited by Nephew on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!