Young Billies as Eaters ????

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

jindydiver

Re: Young Billies as Eaters ????

#31 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:21 am

Say I shoot a billy, and I say to people "I shot it cause I needed dog food", when in reality I shot it just cause I wanted too. It might be that I claim it is dog food because I don't want to have to justify my beliefs to ignorant individuals. My statement would have no effect on anybody, so how is this "dangerous to OUR liberty to hunt if we are doing it to pander to the sentiments"?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Stephen Georgiou

#32 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:52 am

I'm all for healthy debate on these issues. 8)
What does gnarl me is when it is made personal and opinion based.
The fact that I hunt means that I am filling a need. That need is something that is different for everyone and the notion that the likes of the regulators need to tell me what is right or wrong is an age old problem that will not go away unless we remain on subject and focused to coming to real solutions.
The regulators look to see if the group in question has it in hand and self regulates. If they see that we can't keep our own in check, will come in and make rules that will hurt us all. Those of us who keep in control of ourselves and show that we are not abusing the right to hunt will be the best examples to keep the regulators at arms length. So although sometimes the urge to over hunt is strong, we need to keep ourselves in check so that other don't come and do it for us.
If you are hunting and are asked the question WHY? One of the acceptable answers is to say you are doing it to provide for your family.
So although seasoned hunters might see it for what it is, diplomacy, we should not question each other and try to make more of it than what it is.
This is a public forum and as such, monitored by all who are wanting to see who we are and what we think.
Judging is not always transparent and legislation is not dealt with in this type of forum, so when we have the opportunity to make positive moves to improve our public profile we should take it.
Personal feelings aside, we need to think of things with the bigger picture in mind. Because big brother is watching, whether we like it or not...

Nephew

#33 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Mick, I said COULD mate, COULD, not WOULD. I'm not trying to attack you mate ( I AM trying to attck the A.L. loonies, though! :lol: ), and I certainly know better than to try to take you on in a debate ( I have a reasonable memory :wink: :D ) I'm just kicking ideas around. In answer though, yeah I see your point in your example, but I just think that we need to make them understand we are not ashamed of what we do and they don't like hunting just for the fun of it, so what? I think they have only gotten the amount of power they have because no-one was willing to tell them to get stuffed and mind their own backyards. If you don't think they have any influence, why would you tell them anything other than the raw truth? The fact that your motive to hunt is no-ones business than yours is precisely my point, too. I can see the common ground here and we actually agree on the basic principle. I just think that as long as it's legal to hunt, why not tell those that try to involve themselves in a negative manner the brutal truth and bu**er 'em if they don't like it. Having said that, anyhting I say here vis only MY way of approaching the problem, I'm not saying it should be EVERYONES way. I respect your liberty to give any answer you please, Mick. I imagine that feeling is mutual, but will leave it up to you to either confirm, deny or ignore that, cool?
I totally understand what your saying too, Stephen, I was just , as I said, playing "Devils Advocate" (You like that Coach? Now your Satan, and I'm your advocate! :lol: !)
I have a deep respect for you blokes that have a lot of hunting experience and have more sense than to try to argue with you, just thought it might be fun to kick some thoughts around, that's all. 8) I genuinely mean no offence to anyone here.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jindydiver

#34 Post by jindydiver » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:35 pm

I didn't think you were attacking me, it is just healthy debate :)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Nephew

#35 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Cool matey. :D

TEX

#36 Post by TEX » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Well i read on the inter net that goat is one of the leanest and nutritional meats available. It is also one of the world most common meats for consumption. (Yes I know the internet has a lot of fabricated and over exaggerated miss information and the most areas it is consumed is in the third world).
Now I myself have never grassed a goat for meat. Well actually I have shot a goat with the full intention of taking the meat but when it came to the skinning and butchering I decided to give it a miss. The reason for this is lack of knowledge in the disease department. I have been told by so many people including a vet that there are so many diseases that are contractible by humans that I got a bit cautious and chickened out. On the other hand I have also talked to some butchers and they believe that a lot of the meat we get in the shops is no better if not worse that the meat you get in the wild.
He has had sheep delivered to shops where he has worked and you can see where they have cut out cysts and other not so healthy bits and pieces.
I would however like to harvest game meat for consumption but a little scared to at the moment.
I think it's funny when I have no problems taking fish as long as the water looks good and it has no sores on it,
Tex

adam

#37 Post by adam » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:45 pm

Jeffro, are you calling a ton of bowhunters including myself liars, as I have written this is the past as well as others and carried the animal/s out or field dressed them for humane consuption. You just put a bunch of us in the same basket which I don't agree with.
Yeh I notice a lot of posts where they claim to have shot it for meat and its bullshi t.Yeh sure you carried out a billy and ate it.course you did

As for the questioned asked

Young billy or nanny is very good eating and I compare it with lean lamb meat, Infact I prefer goat over lamb any day and mostly take females but a billy to mid size is just as good esp if you like a little more gamey taste like me.

Goat is very lean clean meat and it doesn't cost me $22 a kg
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

piggy

#38 Post by piggy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:53 pm

Goat is the most consumed meat in the WORLD, do you think they leave the Billies and only eat the nannies?
I have and will eat a billy goat again, cooked well its tastes fine.
I have also shot some pretty old Billies solely for their trophy horns and not touched the meat.

Nephew

#39 Post by Nephew » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:17 pm

I've had roast leg of farmed kid, and it was fantastic! Bloody excellent on high-top bread with butter and lots of gravy, salt and pepper while the meat is still hot. Mmmmm 8)

Gringa Bows

#40 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:19 pm

cut it out Craig,now ya got me dribbling on the keyboard,the wifes gunna get cranky now :shock: :lol:

Nephew

#41 Post by Nephew » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 am

Damn near shorted out me keyboard here meself mate! Slow roasted leg of kid... Mmmm

Jeffro

#42 Post by Jeffro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:42 pm

adam wrote:Jeffro, are you calling a ton of bowhunters including myself liars, as I have written this is the past as well as others and carried the animal/s out or field dressed them for humane consuption. You just put a bunch of us in the same basket .

Goat is very lean clean meat and it doesn't cost me $22 a kg

No I didn't,
Some i believe some i dont its as simple as that.
I have a couple I reckon tell porkies when it comes to this topic and you weren't one of them . dont be paranoid.

adam

#43 Post by adam » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:01 pm

Not paraniod just don't like blanket statements or one and all being tossed into the same basket.

Cheers
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

batesy

#44 Post by batesy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:10 pm

I love goat meat both nanny or Billy, I must admit I haven't taken the meat from any of the old goats I've shot but I don't think there would be anything wrong with the meat, I eat all deer I shoot even the old ones and I haven't come across a bad one yet. I think the only reason I haven't old billy meat is getting my head around eating something that smells so bloody bad.
One of the things I love about goat hunting in the area I go is that I get heaps of oportunities for shot's and because of this I always come home with some meat. The area's I normally hunt are steep so I take the back straps, and the hind legs if closer to the car.

I don't know about you guys but meat is meat to me, cooked as steaks, stirfrys and meatballs etc it's all good and more importantly it saves me a lot of money.

gundy

#45 Post by gundy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm

I hate the stuff. Anything I have tasted, has been in my book, horrible. :?

Gringa Bows

#46 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:15 pm

ahh so your a vegetarian Guy :lol: ...............Rod

longbow steve

#47 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:51 am

Want to sell your knives Guy? you only need a plastic one to get through TOFU :D

tracker

#48 Post by tracker » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

g_r

#49 Post by g_r » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:36 pm

longbow steve wrote:...... you only need a plastic one to get through TOFU :D
Last week a girl at our BBQ was making some Tofu stuff and it looked like youll need a saw or machete to get it cut, so dont sell youre knives, get em sharp!
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!