Shooting Another Animal Straight after the First One ,,,,,,

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Coach

#1 Post by Coach » Sat May 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Would you shoot another animal just after shooting one that you know/thought was a bad shot ?
Would you make sure you had the first one secured before you took the other shot ? Or would you take an each way bet hoping that you would get at least one on the ground ?
I have shot two animals from the same position in the past , but it was when I saw the other animal had passed away first before I took the other shot .
At other times , I have shot a goat and it has gone out of sight , so I can't tell whether it is deceased and had other shot opportunities , but didnt take it as I didnt know whether the other was on the ground and didn't want two tracking jobs .

What are the hunters views on this please ?

hutcho

Re: Shooting Another Animal Straight after the First One ,,,,,,

#2 Post by hutcho » Sat May 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Nope, one at a time thanks.

kerrille

#3 Post by kerrille » Sat May 02, 2009 10:16 pm

yep me too one at a time .

....nev... can only carry 1 at a time :D
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Stephen Georgiou

#4 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Sun May 03, 2009 12:31 am

Same here. I won't take a shot at another animal until the first one is sorted.
I hunt for meat and only shoot what I can use.
Except for foxes of course, they are competition and vermin in one package so they are open for an arrow or two.
I treat foxes with the same respect as any other animal in it's last moments and would not take a sloppy shot at them either.

Crowcreek2

#5 Post by Crowcreek2 » Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 pm

....comfirm the first one, first!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 03, 2009 12:55 pm

....comfirm the first one, first!
Yep!

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Sun May 03, 2009 2:25 pm

likewise.........................Rod

Glenn

#8 Post by Glenn » Sun May 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Why not shoot a secoand animal, especially if you are confident if the first shot was a good one. My mate and I shot 5 pigs one after the other in a swamp one morning without moveing from our spot and we recovered the lot. I have done it on more than one occasion...Glenn...

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Sun May 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Did you see the others succumb to the shot before making another shot on another animal ? Or were you just lucky ?
You asked
Why not shoot a secoand animal, especially if you are confident if the first shot was a good one.
Being "confident" doesnt put the animal on the ground :wink:
I have no problems at all with taking out another animal , if you can see the first one is secured . What I do have a problem with ,, is hunters shooting a second animal when they know the first one is wounded and not secured . To me that is just greedy and haphazard .
I have done it on more than one occasion...Glenn..
And if you were to be really honest , how many times has it not worked out ?

clinton miller

#10 Post by clinton miller » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 am

did he get lucky? five pigs all recovered, sounds like good shooting more than good luck.

how many times didn't it work out? probably none. i'm sure if there was any doubt about the 1st shot glenn wouldn't shoot another one.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

clinton miller

#11 Post by clinton miller » Mon May 04, 2009 1:51 am

coach said- What I do have a problem with ,, is hunters shooting a second animal when they know the first one is wounded and not secured . To me that is just greedy and haphazard.

i agree but what if you know the animal is dead on it's feet and runs out of sight? when you see blood pumping out like a fountain....it's dead.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Glenn

#12 Post by Glenn » Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 am

I have been called worse names than greedy, people can say what they like and these forums are full of hunters of the highest ethics, the only way to know how ethical a person really is is to go hunting with them. I have no problems with what I did and I would do it again if in the same situation.
Hunting is a bit diferent these days as peoples ideas have changed a lot. Back in the 70's there was a lot more game around than now. I one 5 day hunt my mate and I killed 85 pigs, we had another hunter join us for one day on that hunt, all bow killed and several of them were multipul kills.
Even though these days I don't get out much at all, but once apon a time I lived for bowhunting and bowhunted every spare minute I had, I would find an area that had lots of pig numbers and then worry about work.
If I was out on a hut today and I shot a good boar and another one walked past me at bow range I would shoot him to, it would take me as long to make that decision as it would take me to get another arrow nocked on the string. But if I did make a bad shot on the first animal there is no way I would take a shot at a second animal...Glenn...
Last edited by Glenn on Mon May 04, 2009 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon May 04, 2009 7:10 am

i agree with you Glenn,if the shots on the first animals are good why not shoot the next,but if i knew the shot on the first animal was'nt so good i would make sure he was down before i shot another one.............................Rod

otis.drum

#14 Post by otis.drum » Mon May 04, 2009 1:20 pm

i would take multiple shots without hesitation.

while the last thing i want is to only injur, wound or have an animal suffer, if i felt condident with the next shot presenting itself, i would take it. if i failed to sucure game 2 or 3 times i would then need to go away and do what was necessary to rectify the/my problem. but not after missing one shot.

i also hunt for long hours and will take as many game as i find. hunting feral species, i don't feel in any way ashamed of that.
...otis...

Antonio

#15 Post by Antonio » Mon May 04, 2009 2:12 pm

For me Crowcreek2 said it ............confirm the first one, first!
even when I was rifle hunting .I remember very well shooting an animal and he went down like he was pole axed .I walked up to it slowly and the last thing on my mind happened . :shock: It got up and took of ducking and weaving at a fast pace I could not get an other shot at it :? .
it was a fine specimen and I wanted the skin so as i could tan it :( :oops: .
I don't want a repeat of that again :x :oops: :x .

now I know that I should have waited took my time and even stalk up to the animal that I shot 8) .
and now that I use bow and arrow be with an arrow ready to take an other shot .and would even go as far as putting an other arrow in it to make sure it is secured 8) .I wont risk a one shot one kill just for my ego . :)

farma

#16 Post by farma » Mon May 04, 2009 2:27 pm

I would not be at all comfortable with taking another shot if I did not know the first was 100% dead..
For me hunting is not about how many I can get "in the bag" it is about getting it "in the Bag" with 100% peace of mind that it was done as fast and humane as possible..
If i miss that second shot who cares?? there is next time.
Why risk it just for a bit of praise from your fellow man?
Sure if the first was dead then yea go for it.
Yea I have done a LOT of hunting with rifle in the past but in the end it still comes down to the same thing.
just my thoughts. Thanks Coach for raising the question.

Glenn

#17 Post by Glenn » Mon May 04, 2009 3:18 pm

So most people say they wouldn't have another shot until they confirm the first one, what happens if you never find that animal, do you give up hunting because you never found that animal or do you look for another game animal and go for another hunt?
If you were out and came across a cat and shot it and straigh away another cat showed himself as often happens you wouldn't have another shot until you knew what had happened to the first cat, same applies with rabbits I take it?...Glenn...

Crowcreek2

#18 Post by Crowcreek2 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:23 pm

.....smaller game generally takes 'less' to kill therefore personally I would probably take another shot at a cat, fox or rabbit - but not a goat, deer or pig where shot placement etc is more critical. JMHO!

Coach

#19 Post by Coach » Mon May 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Glenn wrote:So most people say they wouldn't have another shot until they confirm the first one, what happens if you never find that animal, do you give up hunting because you never found that animal or do you look for another game animal and go for another hunt?
Thats just being pedantic Glenn :roll: And ,. it wasn't the question asked !
The scenario was , that you had shot an animal and you werent sure of the shot and couldnt say it was secured , then you had another animal in shooting distance , so took a shot at that one as well without knowing you even had the first one . I believe you should at least make sure you had the first one , before taking the other shot , or you could end up with two tracking jobs and perhaps two lost animals instead of one .

Chris

#20 Post by Chris » Mon May 04, 2009 5:34 pm

Coach

You hit on the head with “I believe”.

Its what you believe not what others believe, it is you opinion!

I have and will do the same as Glenn has, 100% dead on the first shot(even if the game moves out of sight) shoot the next thing that comes in to bow range, I just take a deep breath or 2 in the between time.

Chris
I don't support the wars of our politicians, but I do support our troops.

Lest we forget
.Image

Coach

#21 Post by Coach » Mon May 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Chris wrote:Coach

You hit on the head with “I believe”.

Its what you believe not what others believe, it is you opinion!

I have and will do the same as Glenn has, 100% dead on the first shot(even if the game moves out of sight) shoot the next thing that comes in to bow range, I just take a deep breath or 2 in the between time.

Chris
How the hell would you know it was 100% dead ,,
(even if the game moves out of sight)
Please answer me that one mate :?

And YES it is my OPINION that you should not take another shot at a another animal from the same spot if you dont even know you have secured the first one and arent sure of the shot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gringa Bows

#22 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm

razer sharp broadhead,double lung pass through it's dead.

Coach

#23 Post by Coach » Mon May 04, 2009 5:51 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:razer sharp broadhead,double lung pass through it's dead.
Very true .. but I have also seen where it was assumed this happened and it fact hadnt Rod . So what I am saying for the hundredth time ,,, you have to see your game DEAD rather than ASSUME it is :x :x :x
I myself have made the "Perfect" shot , only to be blown away by the fact that it didnt do the job :x

Crowcreek2

#24 Post by Crowcreek2 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:00 pm

.....trying not to get drawn into this 'debate' but in support of Coach I will just say that when hunting in Texas about 2 years ago I shoot clean thru a big sow at 17m or so with a wooden shaft ended with a 160gr Ribbie - thought it was a 'perfect' broad side double lung shot. Gundy and I looked for that pig for about 4 hours in thick bush and could not find her. Just goes to show my 'perfect' broad-side was obviuolsy far less than perfect!!

Gringa Bows

#25 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon May 04, 2009 6:04 pm

she was dead there somewhere you just didnt find it mate i think they can climb tree's in Texas.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I myself have made the "Perfect" shot , only to be blown away by the fact that it didnt do the job
thought it was a 'perfect' broad side double lung shot.
This is the problem, sometimes the arra hits in a different place or angle etc then where your eyes told you it had. What looked like a perfect hit wasn't. This is also the reason I believe it is best to be sure the game is down before shooting at other game.

Jeff

Crowcreek2

#27 Post by Crowcreek2 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

....your not wrong Rod!!

Coach

#28 Post by Coach » Mon May 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Crowcreek2 wrote:.....trying not to get drawn into this 'debate' but in support of Coach I will just say that when hunting in Texas about 2 years ago I shoot clean thru a big sow at 17m or so with a wooden shaft ended with a 160gr Ribbie - thought it was a 'perfect' broad side double lung shot. Gundy and I looked for that pig for about 4 hours in thick bush and could not find her. Just goes to show my 'perfect' broad-side was obviuolsy far less than perfect!!
And a debate it is :D Good to see you know what I am trying to get across Crowcreek .. it obviously comes down to lots of experience in the field mate :)

Chris

#29 Post by Chris » Mon May 04, 2009 6:51 pm

If I think it’s not dead I will find it first, but a double lung or hart shot, I will shoot again on the next animal.
It might take a bit longer to find the first one, but its DEAD

Again your opinion, not mine
“So what I am saying for the hundredth time ,,, you have to see your game DEAD rather than ASSUME it is”

And I have learnt NOT to assume anything in life.
No air in lungs = dead
Hole in hart = dead
I don't support the wars of our politicians, but I do support our troops.

Lest we forget
.Image

Coach

#30 Post by Coach » Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Chris wrote:If I think it’s not dead I will find it first, but a double lung or hart shot, I will shoot again on the next animal.
but its DEAD

Again your opinion, not mine
“So what I am saying for the hundredth time ,,, you have to see your game DEAD rather than ASSUME it is”

And I have learnt NOT to assume anything in life.
No air in lungs = dead
Hole in hart = dead
And once again , you are ASSUMING , as you havent SEEN it :x
With all due respect Chris ,, you havent Bowhunted much , and thats not a bad thing ,its all a learning process , but until you have seen some mishaps etc ,, you really need to reserve your opinions . Just because you make a shot that YOU think is great ,,, doesnt mean the animal is grounded .

I also have to ask why ,,
It might take a bit longer to find the first one,
Shouldnt it be already dead ??
Last edited by Coach on Mon May 04, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.