been a while..............

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

bsrecurve

been a while..............

#1 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:49 pm

Well – it’s certainly been a while since I’ve posted on this site, and it’s good to finally have the internet at home again. Looong story short - I got a job in Dalby mid-last-year, and have since been enjoying the bonuses of living in an area such as this. I’ve gained access to some great properties, and it is a rare weekend when I’m not out trying hunting. What follows are a couple of my bowhunting highlights from this time, and some extra pics......

I decided that since I had a strong urge to kill more goats after my first success with Kimall – I needed to get some access to good goat country. I headed to an area near tenterfield which (with some good advice from a mate) proved to be a great area to find goats. I got access to one property, which had some land following a river filled with carp and natives. This property also consisted of a small amount of a mountain-side. That arvo, I had a quiet walk along the river in the hope of spotting a pig doing its thing. After a hundred yards or so, I noticed some ripples in the water, and thought PIG! I snuck in quickly with intervening brush hiding me. I got to within about5 yards and then looked around the tree trunk in front of me. Then I realised it was actually carp nosing around in the shallows.

The following day I got access to the neighbours place, which covers an incredible amount of mountain ranges and gorge country. Within 20 minutes of getting the OK from the property owner, I was stalking a small mob of goats with my RER vortex. At 51lb@30” this has become my favourite hunting bow, due to its pointing qualities, and silence. The goats were slowly feeding up the hillside towards me as I crouched in the meter-high bushes. The wind was nice and steady in my face, and I was in a good position so I waited for a good shot to present itself. As they fed into about 7 or 8 yards from me I readied for the shot – the nerves were strung tight! I decided to take the young billy of the group since I hadn’t shot a billy yet. I took the shot, but failed to reach anchor and ended up snap shooting – ****!!! My arrow flew harmlessly over his back, smashing on some rocks in the distant scrub. The mob was slightly alarmed and stopped feeding to look around. I stayed completely still, and after only 2 or 3 minutes they started feeding again – this time down the slope away from me. I let them feed unmolested for a few minutes and then snuck in through the scrubby bushes as quickly and noiselessly as I could. I got myself into position for another 7-8 yard shot, and waited for the same billy to feed into a quartering away broadside position. When he finally did, I sent another 600gr vic-ash shaft led by a 125gr ribby on its way. This time there was no half-arsed snap-shooting, and the arrow hit him perfectly – taking him high in the left lung, and exiting low in the right. He crashed down through the scrub with half the arrow out either side of him. He only made it about 20 yards, and pilled up. I was stoked to have taken this billy cleanly after a stuffed first shot – especially considering it was within my first 20 minutes on the place.

I have since gained access to some other properties with pigs and rabbits being the main target – and here are a couple of pics from those journeys...........

pig rippings:

peekabooo

wallowing porkers:

and finally - "the kitchen"

Hope you enjoyed the yarn and pics.
Last edited by bsrecurve on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>>>------------>
Hunt to live - live to hunt. >>>----------->
>>>------------>

kimall

Re: been a while..............

#2 Post by kimall » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Just as well the Vortex is so quiet, I hear those carp are real string jumpers. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry mate good to see you back.
Cheers KIM

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:53 pm

Good one!
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Antonio

#4 Post by Antonio » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:22 pm

good it goes to show man can go into the woods and come out with food with the ancient archery .good on you and hope you have lots of fun out there in nature .nice bow to .that's a nice kitchen I don't think the smoke alarm will go of on that one :wink: .thanks for the out door pictures does the heart good .cheers :)

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Congrats on the billy mate. It sure looks like you have got yourself some fine looking county to wander around in - enjoy!

Jeff

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:00 am

Nice story :)
Cheers, Toby

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:15 am

nothing like sitting around the camp fire thinking about which part of the block your going to hunt in the morning,in four weeks i'll be doing the same. :D .........Rod

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:37 pm

94 views and 6 replies :roll: Well here is number 7 8)
Good to see you are still alive :D What did you cook in that kitchen of yours ?? That Billy ?? I hope not ! yuk ! :lol: I hope you get down here soon , so we can have a yarn or two :lol:
Good going Brian :wink:

bsrecurve

#9 Post by bsrecurve » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:03 pm

ahhh yes - the good old camp oven has beeen a close freind of mine in the last few months.
that particular meal was the hindquarters of a rabbit made into a stew with some spuds - good chewing!!! :D
will try and actually get down your way sometime this year mate - school holidays perhaps?....
>>>------------>
>>>------------>

Coach

#10 Post by Coach » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:06 pm

You're always welcome :wink:

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:51 pm

Looks like the country around my way mate. Nice job on the Goat.

I agree with Coach too, they taste horrible....with my experience to date anyways.. :)

bsrecurve

#12 Post by bsrecurve » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:54 pm

couple more pics.....

emus

goat country

misty morning

survivor

>>>------------>
>>>------------>

CM Sackett

#13 Post by CM Sackett » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Grin-Maker... Pure G R I N-MAKER!

I've been invited to be the guest of a Trad club in your Fair Land for their big shindig, during the Queen's Birthday weekend (June)... now if I can just figure the airfare monies out (D*#&N America economy!) :lol:

Good on ye, coming across such fine properties. Here's to years of success and fine memories for you.

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

Tommo

#14 Post by Tommo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Good one. Hope to see a downed pig or two in the next post.
Tommo

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 pm

It's nice looking country Brian. 8)

It must be nice to have 3 or more huntable species on the one property.

You're the first Australian bowhunter I've seen who uses a Great Northern side quiver. I've used one for years myself and I reckon they're a good bit of gear.

How does the RER compare with your Whip? They look a bit similar.

Nice goat too mate!

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bsrecurve

#16 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:21 pm

tommo: yes - same here mate - been trying to down a pig for quite a while now. it'll happen sooner or later......i hope.

mick: yes mate - i love the sidequiver. the only thing i wish was different was that it could hold 7 arrow sinstead of the 5. that way i could carry an extra blunt and broadhead. i always end up stumpshooting at some point while out hunting. the whip and vortex are similar and diferent in a few ways. as it is i could happily hunt with either for the rest of my life - the whip is finished to a much higher standard, but i often find myself reaching for the vortex when going on a hunt because to me it is a no-nonsense hunting bow with no frills, and i won't loose any sleep if it gets scratched up (which it already has). both are brilliant hunting bows though.....
>>>------------>
>>>------------>

Paul

#17 Post by Paul » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Great to see you've been getting a lot of hunting in Brian, Tenterfeild is a great area for goats that's forsure, good luck with bagging a pig.
Try a couple of piggy backers for carrying a blunt around, they work a treat mate. I have a light weight 3 arrow bow quiver I use sometimes when chasing deer which doesn't have room for a blunt and being partial to a bit of stump shooting the piggy backers allow me to carry one attached to another arrow.
It's all about the journey.

BowDonkey

#18 Post by BowDonkey » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:27 am

Good stuff, I envy you blokes. I gotta quit saying that.
SNAKE HATER & HORSERADISH LOVER

Steven J

#19 Post by Steven J » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

Looks like loads of fun. I have never had the chance to go for a hunt myself, so I am rather envious. Maybe in a few years when the kids get a bit older I'll have a better chance of getting away.

Well done,

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Len

#20 Post by Len » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:36 am

Great story and pics, I bet there is a lot of envious fellas been reading this :)
Hmmmmmmm.............