Does anyone here fish too?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Bullwinkle

Does anyone here fish too?

#1 Post by Bullwinkle » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:23 pm

For me hunting and fishing go hand in hand, so who chases what around? For me I love chasin Barra :D , whether it is in the salt or in the dams around here. Here is one I took on a popper work rel slowly in amounst some heavy timber. Would be good to see some from all over the place.
Attachments
First Popper.JPG
First Popper.JPG (41.69 KiB) Viewed 5053 times

ozlongbow

#2 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:57 am

Bullwinkle
Hey mate. nice fish! Almost enough to make me want to try it! How was the club Xmas shoot?
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

MICC

#3 Post by MICC » Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:49 pm

Nice fish mate well done.
I agree with you Bullwinkle, fishing and hunting do go hand in hand.
Our backpack hunts are along river systems and there's always a spinner or lure being thrown along the way.
I'm trying to get Santa to upgrade my fishing rod this Xmas, but I having trouble locating a good quality two or three piece rod that fits in the backpack / quiver.
We are useing telescopic rods, but I'm after something a little heavier and better quality, trying to target something like what your holding.
Any ideas???

Bullwinkle

#4 Post by Bullwinkle » Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:38 pm

Lindsey,
The club do was called off on Friday on account of it rained like bugger on that black soil stuff, we have only put it off not cancelled.

MICC,
Penn make a nice lite three piece baitcaster rod built for that purpose, it is a six kg stick. We have used it doing backpack trips for the last three years and have never felt it wasn't powerfull enough to pull the Barra and Sooties out of the snags, the best part is they sell them at A-Mart allsports for about $90. If your interested give me a yell.

MICC

#5 Post by MICC » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:30 pm

Thanks for the info Fenton, I am very interested.
I've mail ordered gear from A-Mart Allsports in Townsville earlier this year, so I might give them a call tomorrow and see if they can help.
Thanks again mate.

MICC

ozlongbow

#6 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:57 am

Fenton
Re club shoot - bummer - any idea of the new date?
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Pete

#7 Post by Pete » Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:01 am

G'day,
I definitely enjoy fishing as well as hunting. I always keep a fishing rod and tackle in my ute, so if i'm hunting near a lake or river after the hunt I usually drop a line in. Fils in the time when i'm backpack hunting aswell. I mainly fish for Yellow Belly,Redfin and occasionally cod. one day I'll get up to the Top End or NT to do some of that Barra fishin and Pig hunting. One day. But until then theres pleny of those European Carp around, even though they are't that good eating, he can still put up a good fight with a light setup.

cheers.
Pete Farrar.

stace

#8 Post by stace » Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:29 pm

G'day Fenton
And hey Merry Christmas as well
Yeah mate I get to fishing when I can but to fill in time till I can hunt or for a change of diet
Have enclosed a pic of some small Mackeral. We only get them down here for about 3months so we really hang out for the season to start
You still using those Prawn Stars mate for your Barra ?
All the best
Stace
Attachments
Macks.JPG
Macks.JPG (38.88 KiB) Viewed 4707 times

Griffo

#9 Post by Griffo » Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:45 pm

Holey Mackeral :P (sorry couldn't help it)...that's some good fish there Stace...

erron

#10 Post by erron » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:58 am

'Small' Mackerel? :shock:

What do you use for bait: Chihuahas?

:P

Erron

Griffo

#11 Post by Griffo » Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:46 pm

and that's about all they are good for...IMO :P

Bullwinkle

#12 Post by Bullwinkle » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:20 pm

Hi Stace, not bad Mack's mate but aren't they a little small :lol: . Yeah mate the Prawnstars still perform, lately we have been doing better on Soft plastics on Barra, Sooties, Jacks ect ect anything about 4 inches gold, white or pink long does the trick well.
Attachments
First softie Barra
First softie Barra
Picture 010.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Got about nine that size that day
Got about nine that size that day
Picture 009.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 4671 times

MICC

#13 Post by MICC » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:03 am

Hey Bullwinkle, Santa was kind to us this year mate.
A baitcaster and spin outfit, both rods are Penn three piece, just what we were after. Thanks again for the info mate.
We're going out to the local dam this arvo and flick a few lures and try these new rods out, good excuse to wet a line.
MICC

stace

#14 Post by stace » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:22 am

Hey Griffo apparently youv'e never had Spanish Mackeral filleted ,split and sliced into 10mm steaks .Dropped onto a hot BBQ plate with a sqeeze of lemon and black pepper ,flipped and left for a minute or two ,mate they are something else.
Those mackeral were around the 13-15kg mark ,last year we were up in the 18-22kg mark GOOD fish
Yeah Fenton the soft plastics are pretty popular here as well glad to see your hitting the fish mate and not workin too hard (hows the back ?)
Regards
Stace
Attachments
Petes fish.JPG
Petes fish.JPG (56.65 KiB) Viewed 4646 times

Glenn Newell

#15 Post by Glenn Newell » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:57 pm

Almost embarrased to put my little fish on here after seeing those good mackeral and barra. Fish is a Maori Sea Pearch, caught him off the rocks after a big blow whipped up the seas on the Sunshine Coast last week, that's when the reef fish come in around the rocky headlands...Glenn....
Attachments
maori sea pearch.jpg
maori sea pearch.jpg (159.99 KiB) Viewed 4623 times

Bullwinkle

#16 Post by Bullwinkle » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:41 am

Maaattte that fish has got some of the nicest colours on it, check out the yellows.

erron

#17 Post by erron » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:22 am

Yeah, glorious looking fish Glenn, what are they like to eat?

Glenn Newell

#18 Post by Glenn Newell » Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:38 am

Yes it is a beautiful looking fish, I was a bit hesitant to kill it as I have never seen one before and didn't know what the ate liked, I took the fillets off and skinned them, flavour was really nice.