What's to hunt where you live?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Jay

What's to hunt where you live?

#1 Post by Jay » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:39 pm

Hey Erron, how far do you have to travel from Melbourne to find decent hunting? You have fallow deer near you? Lots of 'em here- really hard to get onto though. Quite a few young pigs around now, and goats. Was hoping to nail some nice foxes with flint heads and the longbow, but didn't get a chance- won't shoot 'em now as the vixensd are in pup. Jay.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:55 pm

Depends what you call decent hunting. You can find foxes right here in the suburbs of Melbourne, but the local might frown on you chasing them :lol:

I've got a mudbrick place at Daylesford, which I get up to occasionally. There's a few rabbits, and lots of foxes there, but I've been too busy renovating the place to hunt them much. Daylesford is about 1.5 hours from where I live.

I'm really keen to hunt Fallow, but don't have a lot of leads on where they are. There's supposed to be a few around the hills of Daylesford (also Sambar) but I'm a bit green when it comes to the hunting scene hereabouts so I'll leave others here to hopefully fill you in on that.

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jul 26, 2003 8:54 pm

Not much to hunt around here. :( Fox, hares and an occasional pig. Mostly travel out western Qld to hunt.

Jay

#4 Post by Jay » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:29 am

I thought there would have been a lot of stuff 'round your neck of the woods Jeff (would that be Challacombe by the way?) Erron can we post pictures on this here site? Got a fallow with a flint head that I was pretty pleased with- 234.5 Douglas points, which I think is five bigger than the official Aussie record. Friend of mine had deer standing in his driveway when he got home from town the other night- I've shot two on his place. Jay.

erron

#5 Post by erron » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:03 am

Holy Moly :shock: Good effort Jay! I'm green with envy about your hunting opportunities.

Yes, you can post graphics but it's a bit of a stuff around. Essentially you have to refer to a graphic that's available somewhere on the net. There's more detail available in the help section; I'll see if I can dig it up. The good thing about this board software is it's public domain, so people write 'hacks' to do various things like this. I'll investigate it, along with your request for a Chatroom, which I'm making progress on: there are several avaliable, I just have to find time to evaluate them all and install what will hopefully prove to be the best. Hope to have one up and running for you in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, if you like you can send me the graphics and I'll put them somewhere on my site that's avaliable to the public. Then one of us can link to that to do the insert?

Cheers,

Erron

Jay

#6 Post by Jay » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:23 pm

Don't knock yourself out setting up a chatroom just because I asked Erron. LOL. The Stickbow chatroom probably gets twenty or thirty people in there on a good day- whereas the site itself gets seventeen thousand visits a day on average- you do the maths. LOL. Erron are you far from Orbost? I used to do a lot of broadaxe work years ago, and had a mate in Orbost who collected old and rare traps- had hundreds! I used to send him a few unusual traps now and then, and he'd send me another axe head- got some beauties- up to fifteen inches wide.
I think my fallow mount will be in the Archery Action mag next month- steal the picture from there if you like. You start talking technical 'puter stuff and I'm lost- didn't get to be a middle aged farm labourer by bein smart! Jay.

erron

#7 Post by erron » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:56 pm

Jay,

I'm about 4 hours from Orbost. Beautiful country, up there.

I'll endeavour to get your photo up here (legally, of course) :)

cheers,

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:04 pm

Jay,

Yes that is me. The hunting around here isn't great. First up most of the country around here is forestry (can't hunt) or sugar cane. If a few pigs get about they are very quickly dogged :x

Within two to three hours from here there is the Red deer. I don't hunt them because of health problems. I'm pretty much stuck with slowly hunting flat country now days. Still I enjoy my time out bush with family and mates very much and that's what matters most IMO. Jeff

Jay

#9 Post by Jay » Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:33 am

I agree Jeff- I don't have any mates though- bushwhacked 'em and pinched their girlfriends. Hehehe! I'd like to spend some time in the cane country- catch lots of snakes here, especially browns, but I really want to catch some taipans- saw a whopper when I hunted red deer with Glenn a couple of years ago, but couldn't get hold of him. My pet brown "Cuddles" died a while back- just under seven feet- I miss her. Jay.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:20 pm

Jay,

You can keep your snakes. I had a big Mulga have a go at me a number of years ago while out hunting pigs. I'll never forget it :shock: I tried to continue looking for pigs but there were so many sticks that looked like big Mulgas after that, that I should have given up for the day :D Jeff

erron

#11 Post by erron » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:02 pm

Maybe they were attracte to your Stickbow Jeff?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:07 pm

Actually Erron it was the mid eighties and I was carrying my Howard Hill "Big Five". It was a long time ago but as I said I remember it REAL well!!! :lol: Jeff

Jay

#13 Post by Jay » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:13 am

Jeff mulgas are closely related to red bellied black snakes- a lot of venom but not all that toxic- interestingly, their favourite food is other snakes, and they're immune to all other Australian snake venom, but not the bite from one of their own- weird eh?
Erron I like the map of Australia- maybe now the yanks will be able to find us on the globe. (ggg). Now smartypants- I want to be able to click on the picture of the individual state, and see some details about it- in particular what's available to hunt. (ggg). Just so you don't run out of things to do anytime soon. Jay.

Daniel Banting

#14 Post by Daniel Banting » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:44 am

Hello:
My name is Daniel Banting, I am from Canada, was introduced to this site by Jay, and just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I live in the Eastern part of the Province of Ontario and within five thousand miles or so I can hunt three species of Deer, two of Bears, three of Sheep, Moose, Elk, Antelope, Caribou, Mountain Lion, Goats and a host of small game. Have, unfortunately spent most of my 50 years trying to make a living and raising kids. The time has come to change that and there is a two week Moose hunt scheduled for this September in Northern Ontario. If all goes according to plan I will have a chance to spend a few days with my Brother in Law prior to the Moose hunt trying to call in a Black Bear with a predator call.

Next year there is a two or possibly three week trip to the Yukon territories for Moose and Caribou, followed by a three week horseback trip into the mountains of Alberta for Elk and Mule Deer. This will be in the same area that I MISSED! the largest Mule Deer that I have Ever seen, it would be nice if he was still around!

I'll post pictures and a report as available if you would like.

Regards to all,
Dan

erron

#15 Post by erron » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:20 am

Daniel,

a big WELCOME to Ozbow! And thanks to Jay for the referral :)

you said:

>>>
Have, unfortunately spent most of my 50 years trying to make a living and raising kids.
<<<

- boy I can relate to that. And I'm 50 too, and thinking things have gotta change. Maybe it's the male menopause :D

Anyway, good to hear you are getting off to do some fabulous hunting. Yes, please do post the story here, it'd be great to hear your progress. If you have trouble posting images, just give me a yell and I'll get them up for you. (he hopes :wink: )

Cheers, and welcome mate!

Erron

Glenn Newell

#16 Post by Glenn Newell » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:51 pm

G'day Daniel and welcome to OZBOW, I will be looking foward to hearing how you go on your hunt. I turned 50 this year also and I have decided to do more hunting from now on. I am going hunting to Cape York on the 31st of July to the 8th of August, will let everybody know how I went.

Erron this posting a picture caper is beyond me, if it's ok with you I will email you down some photos for you to post for me. I have some photos of a couple of pigs I shot last year....Glenn....

erron

#17 Post by erron » Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:57 pm

Glenn,

ripper! Send them down and I'll get them up ASAP :)

And yes, please do update us on your hunt, too! All you fellahs getting out bush and here I am stuck in the Big Smoke with a damn cold!

:cry:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:33 pm

G'day Daniel. Welcome to our campfire. Sounds like you have some good hunting in your part of the world. I had a friend by the name of Dave Richardson from Alberta come out here to hunt with us in the late 1980's. He had some great hunting photos from over there.

Glenn,

All the best with your Gulf trip. Should be great. Hans Stein from Japan will be up there from next week. He is hunting with some of the Mt Isa boys. He is presently hunting with Col Graham.

Erron,

You whinging again!!! :wink: I am ready to go bush when YOU are. Jeff

erron

#19 Post by erron » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:36 pm

who, me whinge?

:wink:

It WILL happen, Jeff, promise!

Erron

Mark

#20 Post by Mark » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:41 pm

G'day folks,
First time I've said "boo" on any message board for some time.
Just got your e-mail Erron, thanks for the invite and your effort - looks good.

Hunting here in the Mary valley for me is all Red Deer, there are a couple of pockets of Rusa and Fallow but I prefer to leave them alone (for now).
Also the odd chance of a domestic dog/dingo X .
My properties are only an hour away and I get up there on average probably a bit better than once a fortnight. Get lucky once and a while - just enough to keep me going back.

Mark K.

erron

#21 Post by erron » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:03 am

Sheesh, another bloke who has it REAL tough when it comes to hunting :o

Seriously, welcome to the site, Mark. I have big plans for it to tbe THE place for Trad. people online in OZ, but that really depends on the input and goodwill of all concerned. Great to have you on board!

cheers mate,

Erron

Charlie Lamb

#22 Post by Charlie Lamb » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:02 pm

Howdy guys! Just wanted to drop in and eaves drop a little. OZ is and has been a bit of a fantasy place for me for a long time. Was gonna visit back in 1969 but got side tracked and haven't made it yet.

Hope to get down there soon. Time is catchin up with me but I can still get around and handle a stout bow.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:19 pm

G'day Mark, Glad to see you on here. Hope there is more support for OZbow than what you got on Bowbenders. It just went quite hey? Just wanted to say thanks publicly here for all the effort you put in. I know myself and others really appreciated it. Hope you can find the time to pop in here and have your say a bit more often.

G'day Charlie,

Glad to have you on here. If you can only find your way down this way I'm certain a few of us can get you out for some interesting hunting.

Jeff

erron

#24 Post by erron » Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:23 pm

Welcome to Ozbow, Charlie!

It's a little light on detail for the out-of-towner like yourself at the moment, but we'll be fixing that as we progress. Hope to have some articles on hunting OZ up in the near future. :)

If you get down here, we'll see to it you get among the hunting!

all the best,

Erron

#25 Post by Guest » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:44 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I found the site by way of Trad Gang.com and look forward to watching this site develope.

I know a lot of us here in the US are intrigued by happenings "down under" so I'm sure you'll have a bunch of visitors from here.

All the best to ya!!

Charlie Lamb

#26 Post by Charlie Lamb » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:48 pm

Ok, hope I got this worked out. The post above entered by "guest" was me! I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box when it comes to this stuff :)
Hunt sharp.....Charlie

erron

#27 Post by erron » Fri Aug 01, 2003 10:19 am

No worries Charlie, you got there in the end :)

cheers,

Erron

Jay

#28 Post by Jay » Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:22 am

Dunno what happened there- just about finished a lengthy G'day to Dan and poof! No- the other poof!!! Welcome anyway Dan. Send some pictures from over there please?
Speaking of which- Erron I'll try to post a couple- got a snowflakes' chance in hell of figuring it out on my own though- you know what us poor simple farm boys iz like. (ggg). Expect a cry for help over the weekend sometime. Take care peoples. Jay.

Jock

#29 Post by Jock » Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:12 am

Hi Guys,
First of all, I'm delighted to hear that Erron and Dan are roughly the same age as myself, Erron, for some reason I had you pegged as a youngster, pleasant surprise, anyway, here in Scotland there are heaps of things to hunt, from small game on up to Red Deer, only problem is that Bowhunting is outlawed, BUMMER!!
Good luck on your upcomming hunts Dan.
Johnny B. Good.

erron

#30 Post by erron » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:13 am

Hey Jock, you said:
for some reason I had you pegged as a youngster
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate, I just sound immature, :lol: The wife is always trying to curb my enthusiasm :lol:

Don't forget to catch up when you get down here, we can trade old-timer whinges :lol:

Jay, just give a shout mate. you can phone me if you wish, I'm home most of this weekend, fletching arras with my new fletching tap :!: :

03 9383 4850
mob: 0418 509 416

I'll get a FAQ forum up next week, and posting graphics is the number one thing I'll deal with there.

Have to scoot and help my daughter, who is locked out of the shop she's supposed to be opening soon :shock:

Back soon,

Erron