What's to hunt where you live?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

comanche

#31 Post by comanche » Sat Aug 02, 2003 8:04 pm

:wink: G'Day all. Got here from the Tradgang. Great site Erron. I live on Guam and hunt Sambar and wild pig. Hope to make it to Oz in a year or so and hunt some of your deer.

Danny
"It matters not which eye is dominant when shooting instinctivly"

Dr. Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

erron

#32 Post by erron » Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:53 pm

Welcome Danny!

Guam is not an area I know much of. Will go and look it up :) Is it a large island?

Word here is that Sambar numbers are on the up and up, although the bushfires wiped out a lot of them over summer. They are coming closer to towns now. And we've always got lots of pigs and goats: I'm sure the boys from Queensland will agree with that!

Good to have you here,

Erron

Jay

#33 Post by Jay » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:26 am

G'day Danny. How long did you have to wait for that bow? You take a decent sambar yet? I got one with a flint point, but he'd been injured in the back leg, and dropped his antlers early- bugger. You with the military in Guam? Hope you get to hunt here sometime- sounds like you'll know your way around pig huntin anyway. Jay.

comanche

#34 Post by comanche » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:41 pm

:wink: Thanks Erron. Guam is about 6 miles wide and 30 some odd miles long. Lots of pigs and good Sambar, especially on the Air Force Base.The Sambar here do not get as big as those you have. Agood stag will go 250 lbs.

Jay, thanks, not to long of a wait. O.L. had it in stock as it was a heavy weight that was one of the first ACS 's made it is 72#@27". Happened to email him akbout ordering a bow and he said he had this one that just needed to be finished so I bought it. :lol: I have a Bev-loc takedown on order that should be ready in 6 to 8 months if I remember correctly. I just love his bows. Got a nice piece of Osage that I am gonna try to make a bow out of in Sept or Oct.Gonna try for around 70# :twisted: not too much ambition for my first :lol: :lol:

Danny
"It matters not which eye is dominant when shooting instinctivly"

Dr. Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

Jay

#35 Post by Jay » Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:36 am

Good luck with the osage- friend dropped me off a twisted, knotty green limb about six inches thick and eight feet long- said he thought I might be able to make something out of it- footing material or knife handles maybe- but I didn't tell him that. (ggg). I usually aim to build bows at around seventy- and end up at around fifteen- oh well. The odd one comes in at hunting weight. The big billy goats are back in the lower country here now, so I'm going to stick bits of flint in a couple of 'em. Spent so much time making stuff the last few months that I sort of run out of time to hunt- definitely have to make a priority adjustment! Jay.

Tuffcity

#36 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:35 pm

within five thousand miles or so I can hunt three species of Deer, two of Bears, three of Sheep, Moose, Elk, Antelope, Caribou, Mountain Lion, Goats and a host of small game
Well, I best not let Mr. Banting be the lone Canadian rep on this board. :D I'm at the other end of the country (the west end) and fortunately for me I can hunt all of the quoted above within 500 miles (or less) of my house. :D :D Plus a fourth species of deer (fallow) that are descendants of a defunct 1900's attempt at deer farming. They're free ranging squatters on a couple of islands near me.

My main quarry is blacktailed deer (mini mule deer) and I do an annual moose trip. I suspect that black bear may become an annual event as well as my 10 yr old daughter wants to start hunting this year and really wants to go bear hunting. She's not strong enough to pull the 40# min. to bow hunt, so she's starting with a TC carbine in 7X30 Waters.

Let the hunting & gathering begin!!

cheers,

RC

doninkaliphornistan

#37 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:47 pm

howdy, i too, came from tradgang.com ... :D

here in the desert of southern kaliphornia there's small game aplenty ... most of the time it avails itself quite readily ... (at least where i live)

rock squirrel, jack rabbit, rabbit of many varieties, coyote, fox, bobcat, quail, mule deer, black bear and mt lion (can't hunt them, though) ... we have the rattlesnake as well but they are 'protected' by law ...
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

Pete

#38 Post by Pete » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:35 pm

g'day,

Around here we mainly have Rabbits, Hares, Foxes, cats, a small amount of goats within 1hrs drive, and pigs. although most of the habitat of the pigs is really thick lignum and reeds in swampland that is near impossible to bowhunt
Theres not really alot to hunt but if anyone is ever down here feel free to contact me and i'll arrange some hunting and/or fishing.

Pete.