My first longbow hunt.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrille

My first longbow hunt.

#1 Post by kerrille » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 pm

Last saterday my mate steve said to me hay nev what are you doing this week ? i said apart from working tuesday nothing why? he said cos i just heard that goats are coming down from the north and are on the river .So we orginised to go down wednesday morning . So for the next couple of days we orginised our gear and made up some arras. I met steve early wednesday help finish load his ute and trailer and of we went. Once we got to the camp site we set up and had lunch got the boat ready got our bows and headed across the river into new south. after walking about 1/2 an hour we came across 3 billys after a good stalk steave got 1 at 10 mtrs double lung through the shoulder it went a few metrs and fell over dead. After walking around for another couple of hours we seen a few mobs but couldnt get close so we went back to camp satisfired that tomorrow will be a better day. Thursday woke up to light rain so we did a few thing around camp lite a fire with a drill and bow it'll be on [ utube if i can get it to work :D ] and steave made some bread. The rain stopped so we had a quick lunch and back over the river . After stalking a mob of goats for about 20 mins I got sprung by a big black billy and that was the end of that , but not to worry steave was waiting for them and as thay went by he nailed two nice nannys after photos and butchering we headed of once more i did another nice stalk and got to within 15 mtrs of a good billy let fly and my arra hit a piece of dead lignam that i couldnt see that was the end of that. getting sprung by roos seemed to be the order of the rest of the day so we went back to camp to sort out the goats that steave shot. Friday did what we had to and back over the river, after 15mins i seen a nice little billy after a 10 min stalk at 20 mtrs i put an arra just be hind his right ribs and had a pass through through his left shoulder my first goat with a longbow [yarhoo] to say i was happy would be a under statement after walking around having lunch and doing more walking i came across another mob of goats another 20 mins or so i finaly got an oppertunity for a nice nanny dispatching her nice and cleanly . carrying her back to the boat i met steave he told me he got a nice billy also . Getting back to camp we dressed our kill and put them in the esky. On saterday we packed up and went home as the clouds were black and onumus . On sunday i went back around to steaves and we cleaned and scraped the skins and put them in the tanning solution . What a great four days all up three billys and three nannys for the freezer it dosnt get any better than that. :D steave made both the bows we used ,his is 40# at 28 and he was using 617 grn arras I was using a 53# at 28 with 632 grn arras which we make our selves wood shafts to. The photos show the differant terrain we were shooting in all with in 3 k's of the river the dead gray stuff is lignam that the goats have killed .
this is percival he came right up into the camp and stayed with us the whole time
With country like this what sort of cammo do you use i found the ausat good across the board I only used it on the last day i'll be using it all the time from now on.This is the first time ive tacken a camera out with me .... see what you guys do to a fella i couldnt stop i hope their ok

.... Nev...
Last edited by kerrille on Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Len

Re: My first longbow hunt.

#2 Post by Len » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:42 pm

Great stuff Nev,really impressed by that loaf ! That camo gear really breaks up your outline. I really must get back into hunting one day soon :)
Hmmmmmmm.............

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:55 pm

That's just magic! Well done to both of you! I'm glad you got your first longbow goat, and wish you many happy returns of the day! :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Great story and photos Nev. Congrats on your first goat with a longbow!!! That loaf of bread sure looks like it would go down well. :lol: Good to see the photos of ya cooking some tucker as that is always a good part of goin bush I reckon. :D

Some of that country would make for some tricky stalkin for sure.

Thanks for sharin the trip with us and congrats to your mate as well.

Jeff

Sparra

#5 Post by Sparra » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:26 pm

Well done Nev...Looks like great country to hunt in...Whats in the saucepan with the eggs in it???

Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

Jaydo

#6 Post by Jaydo » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:41 pm

thanks for sharing nev,

i know how difficult it is stalking over open ground like that, congrats on the first kill with the longbow,

looks like you guys had a good time

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

kerrille

#7 Post by kerrille » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:49 pm

thanks jeff i thought you'd like the longbow, to say i'm hooked would be an understatement.
that's caned tomatoes you mush it all together with a bit of sugar salt and pepper good to put over your steak and in the morning even better on toast.
also one of the photos has roos in it ive never seen so many different types in one group before , there were euros,greys,big reds,blue flyers and one we call black stinkies i dont know there proper name and the buggers can pick you out 3 or 400 mtrs away no matter which way the wind is blowing, got sprung a number of times by them and lost goats because of it .

...Nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

CM Sackett

#8 Post by CM Sackett » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Just from the friendship and the FOOD... it was a great camp. Proud for you on the fine critters!

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

bsrecurve

#9 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 pm

certainly one of the better stories i've seen posted in quite a while - all the pics are great, and well done on the goats!!! :D
>>>------------>
Hunt to live - live to hunt. >>>----------->
>>>------------>

celtic arrow

#10 Post by celtic arrow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 pm

Talk about a bun in the oven :) Well done to both of you looks like pretty difficult ground for stalking.Makes me wanna go hunting too.