A great Bowhunter and Mate passed away

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

A great Bowhunter and Mate passed away

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:43 pm

It is with sadness that I write this to let you all know that Ken Reichel from NSW passed away early yesterday evening after a courageous battle with cancer.

Ken was well known to many bowhunters, especially members of Trophy Takers. Ken was a skilled bowhunter and took a lot of game from rabbits through to boar and goats. He had taken a number of big goats over 120 points with his best still the biggest ever taken with a bow and arrow in Australia - 158 1/8 douglas points and was just short of 50 inches in spread.

Ken was a great mate and a fair dinkum Aussie. He was a good bushman and loved the outdoors. He was one of the best yarn tellers I've known. Sitting around the camp fire with Ken you were sure to have a good laugh. His smiling face will be missed.

Our prayers and condolences go to Ken's family and loved ones at this time from me and my family.

I have attached a photo of Ken with his Australian Record Goat.

Jeff
Attachments
Ken Reichel 2.jpg
Ken Reichel 2.jpg (94.16 KiB) Viewed 1711 times

erron

#2 Post by erron » Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:54 pm

Jeff,

I am so sorry to hear this, and echo your sentiments regarding Ken's family and loved ones being in our thoughts and prayers. I am sorry also for your personal loss.

That is one heck of an impressive goat, isn't it? :o

Erron

gundy

#3 Post by gundy » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:15 pm

Sad news indeed. May he rest in peace.

ds

#4 Post by ds » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:16 pm

l did not know Ken Reichel personally, though clearly remember seeing his frequent contributions in the 'Journal'. His passing is sad news indeed. ds

ozlongbow

#5 Post by ozlongbow » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:52 am

Like ds I never had the pleasure of meetig the man but clearly remember seeing that pic of that incredible goat and pretty much falling off my chair.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

adam

#6 Post by adam » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:32 pm

A great man and one fine bowhunter. I feel lucky to have met the bloke. Ken was well deserving of such a magnificent trophy. He will be missed in Bowhunting and in everyday life. Adam Greentree
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Basalt

A fine bowhunter

#7 Post by Basalt » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:13 pm

I heard the sad news of Kens passing while guiding last. I had the pleasure of meeting Ken a few year back at one of the Trophy Takers gatherings. Not only was he a fine bowhunter but he was also a true gentleman he will be sadly missed by us all.