whistling in foxes

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

matt61

whistling in foxes

#1 Post by matt61 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:56 am

Been doing a lot of whistling of late, I managed to call in five foxes one afternoon this week gone but they either came in flatout and were at my feet and gone having smelt me or came in slowly and saw me even though I was wearing a leafsuit facemask and gloves.The only thing I think they saw was my Selway quiver orange leather hood ,so I've camo taped it for next time. The other thing is using the button whistle,they are focused on the source so as soon as you try to draw they spot the move ment and are gone.I have been creative and made a foot operated button whistle using a airbed pump and flexible electrical conduit,it doe's work,but is bulky to carry. The next trick I want to try is to get one of those battery powered calls and make it remotely operated,by using wires and a foot switch.So can anyone give me some tip or idea's or things that they do when whistling by themselves, I sure would appreciate them. :(

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:56 am

Hi Matt,

It sounds to me that you might be blowing the whistle a bit too much. I've noticed that when I blow the whistle when there's a fox nearby, they will know almost exactly where you are, but if they're some distance away when they first hear the whistle they can't narrow down your whereabouts anywhere near as accurately. It's for this reason that I only blow the whistle initially, once or twice for a few seconds, I then keep a sharp lookout to try and spot the foxes when they're coming in. I don't blow the whistle again unless they're obviously losing interest or heading in the wrong direction. When they come within range, I like them to be busy seeking clues as to where to go, rather than knowing exactly where you are.

The movement problems that you've outlined are pretty much unavoidable. Foxes have a very keen sense of vision, particularly when there's some movement involved and unfortunately you do need to move when drawing your bow. Sometimes you can draw while the fox is momentarily distracted or behind some vegetation. The fox observing you in the act of drawing your bow is the major reason for not bagging them. After seeing you in action the the Wildwood indoor shoot, I know you wouldn't miss. :)

I think one of those remote controlled recorders would be the best way to go. I wouldn't mind one myself either.

Take your camera the next time you're out please mate. I'd like to see some photos. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:01 pm

No expert on the fox whistling mate so I can't help ya. I think Mick's advice is good regarding not whistling too much. Good to hear you're getting out plenty and tryin. All the best. :D

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 am

only ever tried to whistle foxes a couple of times last time was at moonie we got one into 100 yrds just sat there stareing our way so we gave him a miss and chucked a couple of lines in the dam went back to camp had a feed came back to check the hand lines and the mongrel had peed on all of them :shock:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Good one Rod. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

BowDonkey

#6 Post by BowDonkey » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:32 pm

Can you guys sell fox pelts? Or has the fur trade been shut down there?

Nephew

#7 Post by Nephew » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:14 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:only ever tried to whistle foxes a couple of times last time was at moonie we got one into 100 yrds just sat there stareing our way so we gave him a miss and chucked a couple of lines in the dam went back to camp had a feed came back to check the hand lines and the mongrel had peed on all of them :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , cheeky little bugger! :wink:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

matt61

whistling in foxes

#8 Post by matt61 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:32 pm

I have been doing it just as you suggested Mick,in the past month I have whistled in over twenty foxes,I drilled the first two but they made it into big blackberry patches and died.That day my mate and I only whistled in three spots so it was a good success rate. We went back to the same place two weekends later and we whistled in seven promising looking spots an had five foxes come in,my mate got shot at the first one as we saw it coming , the second one I heard it coming behind us as the day was dead still,I had stopped whistling and the fox just wandered down the hill to about twelve meters and I shot just under its chest.As for the five foxes I called in last thursday, three of them I heard coming as it was a still day and I whistle for about five seconds and listen and look for about a minute then whistle again,another one I knew it was coming when birds flew out of the patch of bracken about fifteen meters away from me and the last one I saw it at about fourty meters coming in.Of those five foxes I actually shot at all of them and hit two,The one that the birds alerted me to I clipped it because when I found my arrow it had fox fur jammed under the feather and one of the ones I heard coming I shot and when I picked up my arrow there was no blood on it or the MA-3 broadhead.Also the last fox that came in was a monster,I reckon he was nearly as big as a blueheeler dog.So as I've said I whistle ,look listen watch other animals and birds, especially the jenny wrens as they go right off when the foxes come in thru cover, the wrens follow the fox along scolding away loudly. Thats a bit of a rundown of a few of the thing I do when whistling, any hints appreciated

matt61

whistling in foxes

#9 Post by matt61 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:42 pm

No Bowdonkey there,s no fur market here,there was a $10 bounty paid for fox tails a while ago but I think the Government has stopped it.

matt61

Re: whistling in foxes

#10 Post by matt61 » Sun May 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Went out after foxes again today.I tried out my modified Cass Creek rabbit call,it worked great. The first fox that came to the button whistle got to about thirty meters and sat down and would'nt come any closer,the second fox,I saw it coming at about thirty meters and stopped whistling on the button whistle and operated the Cass Creek call with the foot switch as I had thrown the call about six meters into the scrub in front of me, the fox ran straight to it but I stuffed up by giving a squeak on the button whistle still in my mouth just as he reached the call to stop him and all he did was turn and look at me and jump the string and my arrow hit the ground just under his tail. A lesson there - just shoot. :lol: Had two other foxes come in but they are another story.

matt61

#11 Post by matt61 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 pm

I shot a nice dog fox this afternoon,an outback broadhead through the chest at ten feet .Finally blooded the Cascade recurve after much trying and dissapointment.I saw four foxes, had two come to the whistle,missed the first one but nailed the second. :lol:

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Matt

Have you seen those portable electronic callers on the big US web sites like Cabelas? Some of them are about the size of a mobile phone and you just press a variety of buttons to hear the different preditor calls. Some of them even have a small remote control where you can place the unit on the ground, probably about 10 metres away and then control the sound with your remote control. I reckon these units would have to be the ultimate fox caller, as the sounds are real rabbit in distress recordings and you can focus the foxes attention on the unit, rather than on you, when you have to draw your bow without being detected.

Perhaps they're not particularly sporting or ethical, but I can't really see any problems in this regard as they are vermin after all.

It sounds like you're getting this fox whistling sorted out now. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Coach

#13 Post by Coach » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 pm

Electronic callers and a Trad site .. mmm, seems a bit contradictory to me :lol:
Well done on the fox Matt :D

matt61

#14 Post by matt61 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:37 pm

The call that I use is a mini Cass creek call that I have modified so that I can work it with a foot pedal. I dont use it only I start whistling with a button whistle and once I see a fox coming then I use the mini call at the last few seconds so the fox is not looking at me when I draw back.I only have it about ten feet away which is the length of the wires to the unit.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Congrats on the fox Matt.

Jeff

matt61

#16 Post by matt61 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:39 pm

I have one of those remote controlled Cass creek calls Mick but it sounds like a wererabbit and a lot like fighting wallabies.Which I think is scaring the foxes away as I hav'nt had any come to it.I modified my mini cass creek call this week and have got rid of the wires and foot switch.I went to Bunnings and bought a cheap Arlec remote battery operated doorbell and opened it up and got it to work the mini call remotely, no more wires getting tangled or caught in the bushes.I will get my daughter to show me how to put photo,s of the fox on the site this weekend as my computer skills are a bit lacking. Thanks for the congrats fellas.
Matt

matt61

#17 Post by matt61 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:34 pm

The first fox with the Cascade recurve.
The first fox with the Cascade recurve.
100_0444-1.JPG (149.68 KiB) Viewed 3105 times
<BR>

timbow

#18 Post by timbow » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:08 pm

Good stuff mate,nice bow there too,every time l see you ,you have a new bow,lucky man!

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:25 pm

Nice photo and fox there Matt. :wink:

The bow doesn't look half bad either. 8)

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Good photo Matt and congrats once again.

Jeff

matt61

#21 Post by matt61 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:27 pm

Hi Mick Jeff and Timbow thanks for the complements, thats the bow I was shooting with at Wildwoods comp at Bows Arrows & bits this year Mick.I took plenty of photos when I got the fox,that one I thought was the best.Have A look At Cascades website on http://www. cascadebow.com/ Steve Gorr makes great bows. My bow in the photo has zebra wood on the front of the limbs and the riser is phenolic and bubinga.

adam

#22 Post by adam » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 am

Top fox Matt and nice bow, what type of broadhead are you using, how wide is the cut?
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

matt61

#23 Post by matt61 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Adam I shot it with one of Woody,s Outbacks the cut is 25mm.The bow is a Cascade Golden Hawk Magnum 52" T/D.I have two of them and also I have another bow that might interest you its a 52" T/D Bighorn and it shoots beautiful and rare as hens teeth I'm told,I love my short bows.
Cheers
Matt