Need a grain scale - suggestions?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

ozlongbow

Need a grain scale - suggestions?

#1 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:04 pm

After advice from another thread I know I need a grain scale (Ok so I've known it for a long time!) and am going to ask Santa for one. It won't involve sitting on his knee.
anyone got any suggestions for best value for money scale, who stocks them, pitfalls, etc?
Lindsay

MarkP

#2 Post by MarkP » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:26 pm

Lyndsay,

I use the Lyman Archer's Scale which is a balance scale and appears to be very accurate. Picked it up from Whitings. Can't recall the price but I don't think it was too costly. Disadvantage is it takes a little adjusting of the weights to get the correct balance each time you put something different on to weigh. I don't find it too inconvenient - we're not supposed to be in a hurry anyway.

I looked into an electronic scale but to get one with the same degree of accuracy was very very expensive. They would be quicker to use no doubt.

I don't know if you can still buy the old Martin Archery scale (looks a bity like a small version of the greengrocer's scale). It would be quick to use but couldn't vouch for its accuracy or availability.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
MarkP

ozlongbow

#3 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:14 am

mark
cheers mate - and I see you're just up the road from me, hey?
L

Silverfox.

#4 Post by Silverfox. » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:14 pm

Lindsay mate,

Try one from Whitings W that they get in from 3 Rivers. It's only small and it clips onto your nock or tapered end, and hangs from something like a nail. Very cheep and works very well for me and others. Go to the 3 Rivers web site to have a bo peek :wink: Hope this helps mate, Alan.

ozlongbow

#5 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:52 pm

Alan
Have seen it - wondered about its accuracy but with your ringing endorsement how could I go wrong?
L
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

erron

#6 Post by erron » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:11 pm

I have one of those. They certainly are cheap, easy to use and portable, but the calibration is coarse, and the arrow swings around on the clip making it hard to read (a little, anyway). You get what you pay for, I guess :?

Erron

doninkaliphornistan

grain scale

#7 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:10 am

www.3riversarchery.com for the pocket scale mentioned above ...

i have the lyman 1000 grain model and it doesn't work all that well for some reason ... :( ...

i also have an RCBS 505 for reloading that i use ... i normally weigh the components of the complete shaft separately ... this seems to be the best i've come up with ... :D

another seemingly accurate system i've come up with is the pitney-bowes postal machine ... it's in 0.1 oz calibration but that translates to 40 grains ... that can mean a lot in weighing an aero ...

i'm looking for a good 'double beam' that's graduated in grains now ... they're sort of hard to come by at a cost of less than $1000 (U.S. dollars) ... :(

the martin archery scale is not available any longer ... i had one of those a while back also and it would not go beyond 440 grains for some reason ... even the factory was at a loss to correct it ... :(

so, i'm gonna try the flippin' little pocket model from 3 rivers ... :roll:

the search goes on ... :wink:
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...