poachers

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

vegie

poachers

#1 Post by vegie » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:23 pm

Hi everyone,
Over the last few weeks I have been hearing some disturbing stories about poachers. It appears as though with the tougher gun laws more people are picking up the bows than ever before, but from the info I have been hearing this means there is more people poaching and they are using bows and crossbows. In 2 areas I know of this has meant bowhunters are now viewed with the same distaste as some of the other forms of taking game. What is making it worse is because we are low impact and wear camo we are hard to find, so are these damn poachers. We are really getting a bad reputation quickly. As one farmer I spoke to said 'at least I hear the guns or the dogs, I can not find you buggers.' plus nearly every poacher he has caught recently on his place ( he has fallow on his property) has been carrying a bow and wearing camo. Also a dead animal with an arrow stuck in it has a huge impact on the farming communitee.

I think Glenn mentioned this problem was also occuring in the QLD red deer range, most poachers were carring bows.

Has anyone else experienced this problem in their hunting areas, with governments getting tougher everyday on hunting this is the last thing we need. Laws will not effect the poachers they will just keep stuffing it up for the rest of us, it is only us who hunt with the bow that will be the losers.

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:19 pm

very interesting Veg. I can not say that I know of any problems with poachers down here as there is plenty of areas to hunt deer (sambar). Fallow & red are not in any great numbers so I would think that this would deter the majority of poachers.

Bullwinkle

#3 Post by Bullwinkle » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:06 pm

I have heard of it in a couple of places, and your right they are a problem. It is getting harder and harder these days to gain acsess to properties because of bad behaviour be it guns, dogs or bows. All we can do is to show people that true hunters are straight forward people who are not afraid to show and educate people to our way of life. Thankfully more and more people are gaining acsess to media and websites that are helping in this aspect.

TRASH

#4 Post by TRASH » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:14 pm

I know for a fact that there are people who shoot bows not BOWHUNTERS in mt isa who travel 1000 klm to shoot Chital and 2100 klm to shoot red deer with their bows mostly on the property next door if you know what i mean .
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Silverfox.

#5 Post by Silverfox. » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:14 pm

Nothing s*its me more than poachers :evil: Once again people only looking for personal glory. I have been shot at by fisherman in the Gulf who where poaching. They where VERY VERY lucky I'm a man that can control my anger and they where very lucky I was only armed with my bow........ 20 to 1 odds I'm a better shot! :wink: We reported it to the owner , not much he could do he told us. :cry: Happens all the time where his words.

Alan 8)

Basalt

Poachers

#6 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:21 pm

Poachers, 'em :evil:

I don't have too much trouble with 'em in my hunting camp as long as they're not too heavy. He's a simple recipe that's easy to follow.
First place Poacher in "Lava sinkhole" cover lightly with Basalt and leave for three to four days. Check regularly to make sure Wild Boars are not disturbing your guest. Poacher will be completely done, when to the naked eye, he looks far lighter.
:wink:

Life's short hunt hard but only where you're welcome!