Best Way To Hunt Foxes

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Best Way To Hunt Foxes

#1 Post by erron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:45 pm

What is the best way, in your opinion? I've tried whistling them, but they must see through my pathetic attempts. I've trailed them, but never managed to get close enough to get off a shot. The only times I did get that close were completely down to luck: I just chanced on them, and happened to be walking quietly enough not to give myself away before I sighted them.

Erron (L-plate fox stalker :? )

gundy

#2 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:23 am

Time of year!

Thats what I go by. If you want to shoot a lot of the chicken stranglers, whistle when there are 8mth - 12 mth old pups running everywhere. They will bowl you over coming in on a whistle.

Generally, I hunt a lot of swamp land around here and usually am more productive just still hunting and coming across them. When I hunt the fern gullies (where there seem to be more), I 'still hunt' 50 odd yds at a time and then whistle very softly for about 15 minutes. I usually sight the fox coming in just as I am thinking of heading off again.

A mate of mine has been very very productive by sitting against fallen timber in the middle of paddocks. Whistling for 10 minutes or so and stopping for the same amount of time.

I guess luck can have something to do with it too however! ;)

So when are you coming down for a whistle Erron? :D

erron

#3 Post by erron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:18 pm

Thanks for that, Guy. What you say makes sense.

I'll try to arrange a weekend trip down your way soon, if you're up for it? I'm thinking I might be able to take the wife for a toddle down through the Valley to Sale, give her a nudge in the 'country' direction, :lol: :lol:

hope to catch up soon,

Erron

gundy

#4 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:50 pm

any time Erron.

a couple of days notice is all thats required.

What would you like to go out on, fox, goat, deer?

erron

#5 Post by erron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:01 pm

Guy,

seeing as it would be a weekend trip, I guess foxes would be the easiest, yes?

Erron

gundy

#6 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:20 pm

all listed above is achievable mate.

you would have to wear a black bag over your head however so as not to remember the way to the top secret spots.... ;)

Ha ha! Seriously, if you are not after monster wall hangers, we can chase some local goats and deer if you want to....or, we can have some awesome fun on some foxes.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:48 pm

That's right you two, make the rest of us jealous.

Guy, that black bag over Erron's face wouldn't be a bad idea. I mean have you ever seen his ugly dial. :shock:

I did scan a photo in of him but I notice he hasn't been game to post it :wink:

I hope you don't have to wait as long as me for him to have a hunt with you. It's been two maybe three years now and I'm still waiting. Jeff

gundy

#8 Post by gundy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:55 pm

cmon Erron, post ya mug up here so I know who's comin!

:P :wink:

erron

#9 Post by erron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:14 pm

Geez you blokes, never satisfied :)

Alright, tomorrow I'll scan a decent photo of moi, and pop it up here. That thing Jeff talks about isn't fair, as I'm holding the bow I bought off him at the time, and I look shabby in comparison :P

Ah, what the heck, the bows deserve a showing:

Here's anothery Jeff sent in:

- gee, that's great clarity in that shot Jeff!

I'm not interested in hunting any like him, BTW Guy!

:lol:

Erron

gundy

#10 Post by gundy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:18 am

awwww, cmon man!

There are plenty of trees to jump into! ;)

Ha ha! We are having a traditional 'photo shoot' this weekend. Where is the best place to post pictures Erron? Are you going to make like a members gallery or similar eventually?

Nice looking bows Jeff! Are they all made by yourself?

erron

#11 Post by erron » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:11 am

Guy,

There’s a place out at Wurruk that me and my then, 10 year old mates, called ‘Uppatree’ coz that’s where we ended up after thinking it was a good idea to chase these little piglets we happened on! :lol: That was one mad mummy pig! :twisted:

A member’s gallery is a good idea. I had a fledegeling one up last week, but killed it off to make room for something else. In the meantime, if you email me any photo, I’ll send you a key to place in your post, that will look something like this:

[img]htttp://www.ozbow.net/images/guys_image.jpg[/img]

If you then cut and paste this exact code with no changes where you you want the image to appear in your post, it will do so. Pretty easy really, once you stop looking at all the gobbledy-gook code and just think of it as one looooooong word to copy into your post. Let me know if you want to give it a go.

I’ll get a member’s page up again soon, but initially it will still require you to email me the images with any text you want to accompany them, and I’ll post them there.

Cheers,

Erron

gundy

#12 Post by gundy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:14 am

t must have been a few years back mate! There use to be a mob of cranky pigs down by the river, all shot out now I would reckon however.

No probs re the codes. I am like you, spend a day on the computer and do not want to look at one by the end of it...

Keep up the great work!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:38 pm

G'day Guy,

Thanks Guy but I didn't make all the bows. The ones in the background are mine and also the arrows. The recurves in front are some of Glenns.

Erron's a SOOK - that is a sow (you know a FEMALE) :? The photo was taken by Darren Amos from Mt Isa. He was pretty close at the time and wasn't at all scared. :lol: Jeff

gundy

#14 Post by gundy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:10 pm

so you still makin' bows Jeff? :wink:

erron

#15 Post by erron » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

my only experience of pigs, as I said, was with a female who didn't like the way we played with her piglets! She was bigger'n'me at the time but I could run faster :P

Erron

gundy

#16 Post by gundy » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:49 am

Nothing crankier than a Thompson River pig mate! ;)

I was 'semi chased' once by an old sow out Longford way once. I will admit, that noise they make sure does put the willies up ya.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:42 pm

Guy,

I'm sort of semi retired from bow making. :?

Jeff

erron

#18 Post by erron » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:28 pm

And a damn shame that is, too. :? You make a beautiful, and excellent shooting longbow, Jeff.

Erron

Croc

hi guys

#19 Post by Croc » Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:57 pm

hi to jeff and erron .Aww heck G day to all. any time you guys make it this way your more than welcome for a hunt and to sample a drop of wine or two!!! I have about 15 thousand acres across the road to hunt on :lol: and now youve got me interested in the archery side of life again(ive had a bit of time off for martial arts) i have it pretty sweet here,ABA club next door and lots of goats to look at out the bedroom window.

Gday to all my mates in AAA3d and ABA
Faithfully CROC

erron

#20 Post by erron » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:12 am

Croc, you sure have it sweet! :)

Which martial art do you do? I did Aikido for a few years here in Melbourne.

Thanks for the invite, and I will do my darnedest to get there some time. I guess I'll have to do a swing up through NSW to the north visiting Ozbow people... Excellent!

:)

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:11 pm

G'day to you to Croc and it's good to see you on here and hope to see your input some more now that we've got your interest. :D

Thanks also for the invite. You sure do have it sweet!

Jeff