Your First Bow and Bow Kill (pics)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Cody Roiter

Your First Bow and Bow Kill (pics)

#1 Post by Cody Roiter » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:04 am

hello guys and G"day.
I would like to here about your first kill and what kind of bow you used and
what kind of arrow and B.H. if any of you have pics I would love to see them.
Cody
Cody Roiter

stace

#2 Post by stace » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:51 am

Cody
My very first bow kill would have been close to FORTY years ago (JEEZ!!)
I was shooting a a fiberglass longbow with beautiful POC (store bought) arrows Barred Turkey feathers attached ,I should have kept an arrow as they were really nice looking crested arrow(supplied with bow),I think I still have a broadhead here somewhere.
It was at sunset one arfternoon on my fathers property roaming around like I always did ,I spotted a couple of Hares and managed to take one with a lucky chest shot from memory around 10 metres .
When I had done a full circle (bow ,rifle/shotgun,muzzleloader,compound bow)My first kill with a compound was a small pig (which went into the camp oven )Wood POC shaft with Ribtek broadheads ,bow a Bear Forked Lighning set at 65#
First TRADITIONAL bow kill was a sow from 15 metres odd, 64" HUNTSMAN CUSTOM RECURVE 61# @29",Aluminium (sorry Jeff) shaft with a Bear Razorhead
The Tradional kills have meant more to me then any other,especially now taking them with my own handmade bows/arrows and watching my son and others use my bows whether it be target or Hunting
Stace
Attachments
Compound.jpg
Compound.jpg (86.68 KiB) Viewed 1326 times
Trad.jpg
Trad.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 1326 times

perry

#3 Post by perry » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:22 am

My first kill was easter1979 or 1980 unfortunatly I was shooting a compound bow on that trip - a Jennings Starlite 55# but at least it was shot barebow with Port orford cedar arrows tipped with ACE broadheads . I was hunting with a gent I will always appreciate because he that took an interest in a young fella and took me on many of my early hunting trips .
We were hunting in south west Qeensland 650 kilometers from Brisbane in the windmill paddock as I called it , there was a thick patch of lignum with some melon holes dotted through it when we spooked a small mob of pigs ,a medium sized boar bolted - running flat out 30 yards to my left . I dont remember drawing the bow but I distictly remember watching the arrow in slow motion as I pulled off the biggest BS shot in my life cleave straight through his heart .
Warby teased me for missing and then the Pig stopped less than 20 yards in front of me ,Warby said to watch , he will charge you and then prepared to shoot the Boar . I told John to back off I nailed the shot .The boar took a wobbly step or two towards me and I slipped an arrow down under his head and into his chest . I will never forget the adrenalin rush The photo I have is glued to my bowrack with most of my other hunting photos so Im sorry I cant post one .regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

The Gnome!

#4 Post by The Gnome! » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:51 am

Cody,

My first kill was in easter of 79 with my 55# Fred Bear Recurve, it was a Top-Not Pigeon at 17 yards taken with a Davies now Tusker Shovelhead on Port Orford Cedar shaft, feathers went every where :lol: but it made a fine soup 8) as they still do today! Sorry no picks, the old bag never took photo's back then.

Yours In archery,

Gnome!

ET

#5 Post by ET » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 pm

Hi all

My first Kill Was a young fox.
I shot it from about 5 metres away,hitting in the chest. with a VA shaft,tipped with a 110gr ribteck. I used a Black Dog Custom Bow that my Dad made, 42#@24".

ET :wink:
Attachments
Vixen.jpg
Vixen.jpg (153.5 KiB) Viewed 1243 times