Texas Bison

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

comanche

Texas Bison

#1 Post by comanche » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:29 pm

Thought you downunder guys might like to see the Bison I shot on 6 Nov.
Shot him through the heart from 20/25 yards and he was down inside 15 yards. Used my Robertson Vision Falcon IV 63#@28". Lam birch shaft with a 200 gr Ace Super Express up front total weight of arrow 800 some odd grains. Great experience with some exciting times. There was an African Watsui Bull in with the herd and he charged my guide and me a couple of times, also an Asian Water Buff came up behind me and got to 15 yards,did not charge but he was looking mean.

Danny
"It matters not which eye is dominant when shooting instinctivly"

Dr. Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

stace

#2 Post by stace » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:47 pm

Danny
Boy the country is open ,how did you arrow the big fella ,from spot and stalk or stand/blind,though you mention almost being charged so that puts you on the ground

Nice to hear the Bison are out and about for all to see,
Nice looking animal Danny you have the hide saved I take it
stace

perry

#3 Post by perry » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:52 pm

Good on ya comanche , like stace says mate obviously you where on the ground .Did you use any gullys or a line of trees to get into bow range or just walk up on em real slow . regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Good shootin' Dan! They are a big animal.

As the others have mentioned, it sure is open country. :shock:

Jeff

comanche

#5 Post by comanche » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:25 pm

Stace and perry,

Yep I was on the ground. Used some trees and brush and then walked up slowly to get in position, course it took a couple of hours cause a few times the herd took off for a distance and we had to get up on them again. They do not just stand there and wait for you unfortunatly,LOL. There was about 60 to 70 animals in this herd. The ranch was 20,000 acres and there are two herds on the ranch along with several types of deer,rams, goats,hogs and such.

In the picture of me holding the arrow you can see some of the herd behind me, that is my bull surrounded by the two herd bulls and some cows after he went down. The herd bulls were butting him to try and get him up.

Danny

comanche

#6 Post by comanche » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:36 pm

Here are a couple of pics of me and the guide working up on the herd.

Danny

ET

#7 Post by ET » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:43 am

Good one danny

I sure it would have been a great hunt.
thanks for sharing

ET

perry

#8 Post by perry » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:41 pm

Comanche we use the same walk up method hunting goats and pigs in sth west queensland . Its amazing how close over a bit of time you can walk up on game . We make a point not to make eye contact with them as well .Must be an awesome thing to hunt bison in such open country . I have a burning desire to hunt Musk Ox if I ever win the lottery , the footage Ive seen shows very open country in there habitat as well . Keep us informed of further exploits this is more personal than reading about it in a magazine , regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin