Places to hunt in Victoria

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

bleeroyb

Places to hunt in Victoria

#1 Post by bleeroyb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:33 pm

Hi all!

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out...I want to go hunting later this year and all I've ever taken is rabbits and foxes. I want to go hunting for goats/deer/pigs, and I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me a good place to start? Preferably I'd also like to go fishing a little, so a place on a good river would be best. I know this is alot to ask, but I would pretty much be setting up camp for a week so I could afford to go for pretty long walks in search of my quarry.

Would the best place be somewhere in the high country, or maybe up at the Murray? I appreciate any help that you could give me...I've been up the high country hiking alot and along the Murray fishing, but never hunting.

Cheers all, my thanks in advance!

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')

ssga

#2 Post by ssga » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:50 pm

PM sent

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

bleeroyb

#3 Post by bleeroyb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:43 pm

Thx again SSGA, anyone else who might be able to help?

Cheers guys (and gals),

Leeroy

tony

#4 Post by tony » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Hey Leeroy,

Further to my "PM'' you can hunt down the Gippsland coast line for Hog deer and go fishing for Salmon on the Ninety Mile Beach . Specifically, Golden beach is a good place to start, The way-in station opens at the start of the Hog deer season at Golden beach, and you can legally hunt for hoggys`s in close proximity, just check dse website map, and dont forget to get your tags. Although I dont do this any more, I had great fun over the years hunting the hoggys, and then coming back to fish for gummy`s at night in the surf..
The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese

bleeroyb

#5 Post by bleeroyb » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:08 pm

Thanks Tony, and thanks for the PM also. Sounds like good stuff! I'll definitely plan that one for the future...however, I was actually looking for somewhere on a river (I know, picky and all, but my mate really wants to go river fishing [and I love the mountains/forestlands]).

Thx again all,

Leeroy

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:24 pm

Maybe you could focus your attention on finding an excellent trout stream in the high country and then scout around for sambar sign from there. There's sambar right through that part of the state. There's so many places, I don't where to begin. You could try around Dargo, theres great trout fishing around there and it's a top area for sambar too. There's the Wonangatta River, it's a famous and a very popular spot for sambar hunters and the river has a healthy population of trout. What about the upper Mitta Mitta? Once again excellent trout fishing and it's in the heart of great sambar country. There's the Buckland River, it would be worth a try. There's Lake Eildon, with all the rivers that run into it, like the Goulburn, the Howqua and the Big river. This area is renouned for both it's trout fishing and deer hunting. Geeze mate, and this is just a small fraction of the possiblities. :shock:

If I was you, I'd go exploring. It's half the fun of what it's all about. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

rory

#7 Post by rory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:59 pm

Head into the hills. I have spent most of my life in East Gippsland, in the foothills of the great divide. There are sambar throughout most of this area... go to your local DSE, get a map, and go for it!

BTW - a hint to Victorian bowhunters, I used to get a lot of info off the guys who would go up and do bushfire scouting/watching. They are up their for extended periods of time and know those places VERY well :wink:
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

bleeroyb

#8 Post by bleeroyb » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Wow, thanks guys, thats a great beginning! That gives me alot more options, thanks a heap!

I've been up hiking around the Howqua many times, with the beginning of this year (starting Jan 2nd [yes, I was still hungover]) heralding a 5 day hike over Mt Cobbler, Mt Speculation, Mt Howitt, the Crosscut Saw (now THAT is a tough bit of walking with 25kg on your back, lemme tell you..it has that name for a reason) and roughly 5 other lesser peaks, but I've never gone fishing or hunting there.

Lake Eildon sounds really good...would any of those rivers be accessible by car/4WD? Or would it be best to hike a short way to somewhere quiet? I'm sorry for all the questions, just exploring every possibility!

Thanks again all, I hope this thread ends up becoming a good resource for other looking for some places to hunt in Vic!

Cheers,

Leeroy :P

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:02 pm

Mate, if I was you, I'd have a good look at a topographical map and find a spot that was inaccessable by any other means than walking and then I'd don my backpack and hike in for about 10 kms, then set up camp and radiate out from there on hunting expeditions. I'd camp by the trout stream. 8)

The area around Lake Eildon gets a lot of hunting pressure, but I have no doubt there's spots, off the beaten track, that would fit the bill. I read about some bloke who used his boat to access remote areas up the various arms of the lake and he had good success.

I reckon you could use your fitness and bushwalking gear to your advantage. Not many hunters are prepared to walk much more than 10 kms from the car. You could walk into pristine hunting country and the world would be your oyster. 8)

One thing you might want to look at is the various terrain and cover that you might expect. Some areas are thickly overgrown and hunting would be difficult. Some areas have the contour lines of the map so close together the slopes must be nearly vertical. If you're going to all the trouble of walking in, you might as well walk into country that will be pleasant to hunt. Country that has just the right amount of cover and country that isn't too steep. Your topographical map will assist you here with the steepness.

I've often thought about canoeing into pristine country, setting up camp well away from civilization and radiating out on full to half day hunting trips. When you're finished hunting, you just float and paddle downstream to your car and maybe, if you're lucky with a sambar carcass in the canoe. 8) How cool would that be?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

rory

#10 Post by rory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:59 pm

Not many hunters are prepared to walk much more than 10 kms from the car
I agree. But good luck carrying a Sambar 10km's back to the car :shock:

You need to find good access. I know where a lot of the fire trails etc are that run through my old hunting grounds. These gave me (and more importantly the guys who were the shooters) better access to the down'ed game... :wink:

Blackstump broadheads

ssga

#11 Post by ssga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Carn rory, You're making it all too easy for this bloke! You'll take all the adventure out of it!! LOL

IMO the easier it was the easier it is to forget

I once carried a sambar stag broken carcass up the mt howitt and back to the car some 15k's in a day!

Leeroy start the search join a club and you can't go wrong, all the high country streams carry trout in some degree :wink:

SSGA

rory

#12 Post by rory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:22 pm

Sorry I will tell only lies from now on :wink: :lol:

Hey ssga, was the Howitt track busy when you were carrying the carcass along it? I've been up there a few times, at times there can be quite a few up there! Would have looked very cool draggin meat through the onlookers :lol:

Blackstump broadheads

bleeroyb

#13 Post by bleeroyb » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:16 am

Holy crap, 15 kms in one day in the Mt Howitt region, with a Sambar stag (in pieces)...you must've been crying for a longneck by the time you got back! :oops: Just a question there too...is it legal to hunt in that part of the Alpine National Park?

I have to admit, the idea of having to carry a deer back that far to the car...well, it actually sounds so damn thick that I just have to go and do it and nearly destroy myself in the process! :D That's what I usually do when I go hiking; try and go WAAAY too far on a hard schedule. Still, you are right...you don't forget it so readily when it's so damn difficult!

Cheers guys, I appreciate all the help!

Leeroy

ssga

#14 Post by ssga » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Legal to hunt in most parts of the Alpine Nat Park, however there are off limit seasonal closures!

Yep 15ks near killed me :oops:

SSGA