SSGA Does it LONGBOW SAMBAR (w pics)

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

erron

#31 Post by erron » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:44 pm

Fantastic effort with Trad gear, SSGA 8) :shock: Haven't heard much in the way of Sambar taken with the humble stick and string, so I think you can be justifiably proud. Glad to hear you got help and inspiration here, and you are certainly an inspiration to all members!

:) :) :)

cheers,

Erron

ssga

#32 Post by ssga » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:26 pm

Erron,

Your compliments are gratefully received and appreciated. I don't think you or the other OZBOW members trully understand how much they have inspired an educated me 8) Without all the debate and discussion I may not have succeeded at my task.

I had never used a longbow until 18 months ago, and this forum allowed me the ability to learn. Erron I honestly thank you for starting the OZBOW Campfires and i thank the forum members for their continued adding of the "logs" to the burning :wink: :P :wink: even if i did add a little petrol now and again :roll:

Thanks

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

Sparra

#33 Post by Sparra » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Come on you blokes,starting to make me cry....or is that vomit... :wink: :wink: But yeah..well done on the deer SSGA..
Sparra...

ssga

#34 Post by ssga » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:35 pm

Sorry mate but still bit emotional :lol:

how bout......."Cheers mate, yeah got it in the ticker an rolled it over, your shout?" :roll:

Thanks Sparra!

SSGA

bmlongshot

#35 Post by bmlongshot » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:43 pm

SSGA, congrats on a remarkable result. I have hunted Sambar for many years with some falling to rifles, one passed up with the ' wheels' and many many easily evading me at ' trad' distance.....half the time i didn't even know they were there { i can still hear them giggling].
As a young fella I was going to be the first to take a sambar with a bow...then after that was obviously not going to happen i became the person who was going to take one with trad gear....now thanks to SSGA my options are becoming smaller and smaller. Now I'm going to have to try to become the first person who's name starts with the letter 'B' to take a sambar........or perhaps the first left hander.....
on the serious side it is great to see and gives hope to the rest of us that perserverance will pay off in the end,
well done.
Ben

tony

sambar long bow

#36 Post by tony » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:14 pm

Hey Ben, have you got some stories to tell about hunting Sambar?, It sounds like you may have..... Its the stories of hunting Sambar that give us the inspiration to keep trying and learn something at the same time. Sambar hunters like yourself always have a good story to tell. I know I would greatly appreciate anything you would like to share.

Tony.
The early bird might get the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese

rory

#37 Post by rory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:45 am

I actually have found a picture of a longbow shot sambar from a while ago in an old Australian Bowhunter magazine. I'm totally not trying to burst ssaa's bubble, I just saw it then tis all :wink: 8) :D
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

jindydiver

#38 Post by jindydiver » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Do you have any details Rory?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

ssga

#39 Post by ssga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:16 pm

I don't mind if bubble bursts guys 8) i mean there's not much new under the sun, it has been done in NZ so why not here? :roll: I only came to the conclusion that it hadn't been done before after contacting plenty of websites, multiple archery clubs and Deer hunting associations. It was on Ozbow that no one could give me any info that the part about being the first came to fruition.

I didn't do it to be first really just wanted the challenge and thats what i got :oops:

Any details would be great rory, love to get some info on bow lbs and arrow etc?

SSGA

rory

#40 Post by rory » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:48 pm

Hey ssaa, your cool mate, hell, I aim to take a sambar too :D 8)

:roll: We are actually packing up at the moment to move house, and I just went to have a look through the mags, but the girlfriend (bless her :roll: :lol: ) has packed em all away, in some box, somewhere...

I will have a look once we have unpacked..... :wink:

From memory it is a spiker, shot with a longbow.

Hey hang on, hasn't piggy shot a sambar hind with his recurve :?:
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

jindydiver

#41 Post by jindydiver » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm

rory wrote:
Hey hang on, hasn't piggy shot a sambar hind with his recurve :?:
And there are plenty of pics around of sambar taken with recurves. Longbows are a different thing altogether though, doesn't seem to be many of those :wink:
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

ssga

#42 Post by ssga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:09 pm

rory watch that box, if memory serves me correct everytime we (mrs and I) moved house my collection of mags always got smaller :evil: :evil:

Longbow sambar was the challenge, to go back to the weaponary as basic as the game regs would allow!

SSGA

jindydiver

#43 Post by jindydiver » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:16 pm

Got my copy of the mag today Chris, good story. Looking forward to part two. :D
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

ssga

#44 Post by ssga » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:21 pm

All the Longbow storys will be in the Summer then Autumn editions of Bowhunting Downunder mags (i have been told, when i see it i'll believe it)! :twisted: You'll see my writing style changes over the last four years :wink:

WildDeerHuntingAdventures Liked the family/father/son hunting side of my hunting 8) :wink:

SSGA

bleeroyb

#45 Post by bleeroyb » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Grats for winning thread of the month SSGA! And for the magazine publishing, and for just generally being the skilled git who killed a deer with a longbow whilst we're sitting here congratulating you and wondering when we can get the time to do the same! :lol:

Cheers mate, you deserve it!

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')

ssga

#46 Post by ssga » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:35 pm

I have just heard and got confirmation from "Bowhunting downunder" that this story on the taking of the hind will be published after "The son of Black Beauty".

Keep your eyes peeled!

SSGA

ssga

#47 Post by ssga » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:24 pm

And to blow my own trumpet again.....well actually the taxidermists!

As precise as you can possibly imagine!

SSGA

The Gnome!

#48 Post by The Gnome! » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:00 am

Congrats on the Sambar SSGA it sure is a fine looking animal and a testimony to the skill and dedication of a fine hunter to take one as nice as this. Congrats and well Done.

Gnome!

AntMob

#49 Post by AntMob » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:17 pm

Congratulations, your honesty and gratitude are really inspiring. Well done!
Entropy is Time's Arrow...