Water Buffalo Anyone?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

vegie

#31 Post by vegie » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:30 pm

Thanks ds for posting your story and pictures, still hope to one day hunt buffs myself, looks like it is fun. What did the buff score ? just interested .

As for posting stuff that is not using traditional gear, do not worry about it we are all bowhunters. I have heard at that moment when you are about to let the string go on a buff is a bit stressful. like do I really want to do this??

Welcome to the site,
Daryl

erron

#32 Post by erron » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:03 pm

ds, welcome to Ozbow, and thanks for such a fine first post!

Welcome back Bill, and just tell your wife that hunting keeps a man in great shape :wink: :lol:

Good to see some info. on Buffalo hunting; it seems hard to come by.

Erron

Basalt

Buffalo hunt'in

#33 Post by Basalt » Fri Nov 07, 2003 5:35 pm

ds,
Top post mate and excellent photos. Sounds like you bustered him spot-on. I'm go'nna have to go back and bust one! Hey Erron, I'll just tell Linda, I'm only going back so as I keep young and in shape :wink: I think she'll tell me, that old and round is still a shape :)

Silverfox.

#34 Post by Silverfox. » Fri Nov 07, 2003 6:06 pm

Cheeky Ol Coot we are Basalt. The footies will be fine mate, man was not ment to walk all day in H2o. Just think who will be holding the BIG cap gun next time your up in N.T :wink: You had better save your pennies for Namibia............. that's if you can get your pants back off Linda :lol: :lol: Bad Ass tells me she where's 'em ALL the time!

ds

#35 Post by ds » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:36 pm

Glad you liked the pics, bowhunting buffalo is unique in that it offers us the opportunity to hunt truly big game animals that have the potential to do serious harm. Their inquisitive nature can at times lend itself towards real close an encounter that requires much nerves & patience. I'd recommend it to anyone :lol: :lol:, the pressure from pulling off a good shot coupled with the fact these beasts can seriously stomp your ass, makes them fine game animal. Though the fun ends when the beast is on the ground, they require some serious butchering, the meat from both our beasts was retrieved and utilized by the local aboriginal community(they even salvaged the tongue). The bull from the previous post unofficially scored 90+ dgls pnts..ds
Whiles were in the mood I thought I'd post some more pics from a while back.

erron

#36 Post by erron » Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:45 pm

Though the fun ends when the beast is on the ground, they require some serious butchering, the meat from both our beasts was retrieved and utilized by the local aboriginal community(they even salvaged the tongue).
- ds, that is the one of the best 'Traditional' posts I've read all week! Good on you for making suitable use of the animal you killed. :)

Thanks for the piccies too. If you ever need to, you can directly upload graphics (and other files, practically any format) to Ozbow. I'm off now to check out the host you have them saved on...

cheers,

Erron

#37 Post by Guest » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:15 pm

Good on ya ds, they are good animals.
Just thought I'd add that the toung (and heart ) are prize treats and for me are always taken for the pot, (except pigs).

I got lucky on a buff bull a few years ago now, but that was in my "pre-recurve" days also. I would like to take one on with a recurve one day if I can organise it under my terms.

Mark K.

Basalt

Buffalo hunts

#38 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:12 pm

Howd'y guys,
I'd just like to pass on a bit of info on Buff. I'll to opening a Bowhunting only Buffalo camp on Mellville Island next year. Don Thomas hunting Editor for Tradational Bowhunter and crew are booked for the first hunt with us in June. Melville has the biggest number of free-range Asiatic Buffalo of any hunting concession in Australia. [4500 - 5000] We will be operating out of a well established camp, with above ground fully-screened tents, fans, lighting, dining and kitchen and hot and cold running water. Fully equiped 4x4 and experienced guide and 458 back-up if needed. we will be running limited hunts for experienced bowhuters only.

erron

#39 Post by erron » Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:33 am

Sounds fantastic mate, keep us informed of developments, yeah? :)

Erron

vegie

#40 Post by vegie » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:21 pm

Basalt,
I agree with Erron, now that you have teased us with your new enterprise we need more details. I nearly had my wife convinced that buffs were ok to bowhunt. That was until tuesday night when we watched A Big Country revisited and saw a Yank shooting (rifle) a bull about 5 or 6 times and then the damn thing got up again. Tried to explain the Americian hunter was putting in lousy shots that were rushed and the guide needed his **** kicked for allowing it to happen. (That was my opinion anyway.)
Up shot of it was she saw a buff shot about 1/2 dozen times and the poor thing was still able to get up, now she thinks they are dangerous (which of course they are but she did not need to know that).

Keep us informed how it goes

Daryl

Jock

#41 Post by Jock » Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:39 pm

Excellent thread fellas, can't say I was that keen on hunting one of these big fellas, but the more this thread goes on, along with LBR'S enthusiasm, the more I get interested. Ds photos are fantastic, sure makes a difference when you can see what you guys are talking about.
Johnny B. Good.

ds

#42 Post by ds » Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:29 am

Good luck with your buffalo camp Basalt, hope it's all you hoped for and that your clients make company with some great bulls that l hear frequent Mellvile Island
Hey Jock, glad you like the pics, l feel privledged to able to share them with you all & if it helps ignite the desire to hunt further, just as it has done for me then credit to forums such as this. ds

LBR

#43 Post by LBR » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:03 am

Excellent pictures--thanks! I got some great news recently--the fellow that makes the hickory shafting did some adjusting to his equipment, and now is sure he will be able to make some for me that will spine out heavy enough. He said in his testing, on everything from foam targets to car doors (didn't ask whose car), the barrell tapered hickories out-penetrated carbons. Now I just have to get my bowyer to hurry with my bow so I can start testing the shafts myself!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Basalt

Buffalo and Buff shafts

#44 Post by Basalt » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:03 pm

Howd'y guys,
Back from the bush for Xmas and just dropped in to see what I've been missing. [ I leave again tomorrow] L.B.R. those Hickory shafts sound real good, could you let us know how you like 'em? :?: I'm having 100 Qualia 11/32 shafts run for me early in the new year and I reckon that they will spine up well and be good and heavy even at that dia. If I'm happy with them I'll send you a few to see how they stand up against the Hickory. My Buffalo camp is not going to be cheap to run and all up costs including trophy fees, airfares Darwin-Melville return, permits, meals and acccom, Island based transport and alcohol and trophy care will have to run out at A$4500- A$5000. for a six day hunt. Hope you guys were sitting down when you read that. There is a whole lot more expence involved than with my Chital- Wild Boar camp and Melville is one of the last wild Buffalo frontiers of the far north. If anyone wants some more info they can email me at pacificbowhunt@ozemail.com.au.
All the best for the festive season and good hunting to you all for 2004.
Bill.

erron

#45 Post by erron » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:35 pm

Good to have you back Bill, even for a short while!
My Buffalo camp is not going to be cheap to run and all up costs including trophy fees, airfares Darwin-Melville return, permits, meals and acccom, Island based transport and alcohol and trophy care will have to run out at A$4500- A$5000. for a six day hunt.
- So, what’s that, about $800 a day Aus. Dollars, roughtly 500 US? Sounds reasonable, to me, for an all-inclusive hunt! For a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, anyways, even if I don’t have the readies now!

All the best to you and yours for the festive season!

:)

Erron

LBR

#46 Post by LBR » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:35 pm

Bill, I don't know for sure when he will have the arrows coming out to his satisfaction (making the adjustments may take time to perfect), but I'll be sure to give a report when I get to try them out. I don't even expect my bow to be ready for a few months yet--hopefully it will be here by Spring. If you are interested in trying them, I can get you the contact information. If there is a problem with having them shipped to Oz, just let me know and I can help you out there also.

What type wood is Quaila? That is a new one to me. I'll be shooting 85@30 (give or take), and I normally draw 30.5" on my Crusader. Might loose a 1/2 inch or so with the extra weight, at least until I get used to it again. I'm definately interested in the shafting. My guess is I will be needing a shaft that spines 125# or more. My 66@30.5 Crusader likes 80-85# spined cedar, with 125 grain points. I plan on using 160-190 grain broadheads for the buff, and it seems that with heavier shafting I have to go up in spine another 5-10 lbs.

As for the price of your hunt, I have only looked at the prices of one other outfitter and yours is very competitive. I will only go with someone who is not only familiar with the buffalo, but familiar with using traditional equipment to hunt them.

E-mail is on the way....

Chad
Long Bows Rule!