Water Buffalo Anyone?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

LBR

Water Buffalo Anyone?

#1 Post by LBR » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:01 am

Just wondering if anyone could give me some first-hand advice on water buffalo--where you hunted, who you hunted with, what gear you used, etc. I've wanted to visit Australia ever since I can remember, and laterly I've had a hankering to hunt for something big and nasty, other than my ex. It will be a few years before I can do it, but I already have my bow on order (I'll be using a longbow--is there anything else?). I've talked with some fellows here that have hunted, and one that works for a guide there, but I'd like to hear from others as well.

Thanks in advance!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:17 pm

G'day LBR,

Firstly welcome to the site. I have not taken a buff so won't be a lot of help. I have been up to the Northern Territory and had we seen a buff we could have had a go at them. I was hunting with friends from up there and not with guides.

My euipment was around a 70lb longbow with wood shafts approx 700 grains tipped with a Ribtek 190 cut down to one inch wide. It was around 175 grains then.

If I was going after them now I would have my arrow weight up to somewhere in between 800 - 900 grains.

A fellow on here named Mark has just got back from a hunt for buff I believe. On another thread I started I have asked him how he went. Take a look when he replys as I'm sure he will have some good info for you.

Jeff

erron

#3 Post by erron » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:16 pm

Just wanted to echo Jeff's welcome to the site LBR, although I pm'd you this morning.

Hope you find Ozbow informative and entertaining.

:)

Erron

LBR

#4 Post by LBR » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:33 am

Thanks for the welcome men! Stickbow Hunter, I have a new bow on order especially for this hunt. It is a Chek-Mate take-down Crusader, 66", 85@30. I have found arrow shaft materials that should give me a finished shaft weight of around 1,000 grains, with a 160 grain broadhead. With the Crusader I have now (66", 66@30.5) I average around 187 fps. with arrows that weigh 620-640 grains, so I think the 85# will do the trick. I have a picture on my site of a lady who took a very large kudu pulling less than 50# on her Crusader. The broadhead got complete penetration, and it didn't go far.

Going to check out the other thread now--thanks again!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:42 pm

Chad,

That 85 pounder should do the job no worries at all!!! :D Those heavy arrows should help plenty also. What type are they since they're so heavy, Forgewood?

Having such a long draw (long power stroke) is an advantage also. I only draw 26 1/2 inches. :?

I must go and have a look at your web site. Will catch up again later. Jeff

LBR

#6 Post by LBR » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:27 am

Looking at two different types of shafting right now--Forgewood, and tapered hickory. I hope to go with the tapered hickory, if I can get them spined heavy enough--I figure it will take something around 115-120# spine. If this doesn't work out, I may have to experiment with arrows inside of arrows--hope to avoid that!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Basalt

Buffalo Hunting

#7 Post by Basalt » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:05 am

Hi Chad,
I head off tomorrow to hunt Buff in Northern Australia I put a few details on "Who's going Hunting" if you want to have a look. I guide for another week at my bowhunting camp so I won't get back on here for two weeks or so but I'll fill you in on my Buff hunt when I return.
Life's short, hunt hard.

LBR

#8 Post by LBR » Thu Oct 23, 2003 11:52 am

Basalt, I'd love to hear every detail--thanks!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

gundy

#9 Post by gundy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:49 pm

Hi Chad, welcome buddy!

I have heard a lot about these Check-mate bows, might have to check one out soon...

Anybody got any pics they can post of a Bull that has been harvested? This is something I doubt I would have the balls to do!... :shock: :?

TRASH

#10 Post by TRASH » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:12 pm

Lots of us got pic's old mate!!
They be on that paper stuff but , you they used to be called photographs though ... Some of me pearlers go back to the 126 kodak days even a few 110's aaargh they were the days.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

gundy

#11 Post by gundy » Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:17 pm

send those 120's to me mate...they are the best!

This digital world is taking us over! :shock:

LBR

Water Buffalo

#12 Post by LBR » Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:00 am

Hey Guy--be glad to help if I can. I know of at least a couple of Chek-Mates in Oz, never hurt to have a few more--lol.

I dunno if it takes an extra dose of courage, a big lack of good sense, or a bit of both to chase the buffs with a pointy stick, but I sure hope to try it. I live back in the country and have been around some really big cattle, but still may need to take some spare underwear as a precaution :oops: . Maybe I've just taken one too many knocks upside the head? :? Looking forward to all the other critters also!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Tuffcity

#13 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:35 am

Oh sure, LB. Obviously bears aren't dangerous enough for ya... or is it you just can't stomach visiting cuj & I? :P :D

RC (one day, Oz for me too...) :)
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

LBR

#14 Post by LBR » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:26 pm

Shoot, I still plan on coming up there RC, just don't care enough about bear to pay the price up there (when I can hunt them in the states a lot cheaper). The bear hunt was just an excuse to come visit anyhow. I'm hoping to make it to the NALS when it's back on the Island--may be a few years, but it's definately on the roster. Tell you what--I'll hold Cujo if you'll give him a haircut :twisted: I still owe him one for naming my last bow "Pud" (he wrote in on the limb). Said he's gonna' name the next one "Tallywhacker"--may have to shave more than his head!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Silverfox.

#15 Post by Silverfox. » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:57 am

G'day LBR,

Mate that old coot Basalt is home from hunting buff. I wont tell his story but I'm sure he's going to post on here ASAP with some buff info for you. Hope this helps,

Regards Alan. 8)

LBR

#16 Post by LBR » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:54 pm

Thanks Alan! I am glad to hear he made it back--in one piece I hope! I'm ate up with curiosity (and other things, according to friends) about these monsters. I can't wait to go on what I consider the ultimate bow hunt--at least for this 'ol country boy. May have a change of plans on shaft material--don't know now if the hickorys are going to work out (not sure the fellow making them can get any spined heavy enough) and the fellow that makes the Forgewood seems to be very busy, so I am considering Grizzly Sticks from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. Woven graphite shafting, supposed to be tougher than anything else, and with a heavy broadhead and the weighting system I can get an arrow that weighs 900 grains or better. The price is a bit salty--$80 for a half dozen shafts, plus shipping and components. These things should at least cape out the critter for you, or fetch a girlfriend on command! Oh well.....this is not the time to get cheap on equipment, so if they work, I imagine that is what I will be carrying.

Ok Basalt, where are you?????

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

erron

#17 Post by erron » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:05 pm

Mate that old coot Basalt is home from hunting buff. I wont tell his story but I'm sure he's going to post on here ASAP with some buff info for you
I sure hope he does. I still haven't got his last excellent story up on the legend pages, so I've got a bit of a backlog now, it seems. :?

Erron

Silverfox.

#18 Post by Silverfox. » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:13 pm

G'day Chad,

Mate I'll have to chase up Boomslang Bill (Basalt) to get him on here! :evil: I'm sure he's just sinking a few beers, dreaming of hunting the Moose John and annoying his better half! :wink:
I had a look at the forgewood sit a boy o boy there dear for timber shafts! But I must say that I'm keen on the Grizzly sticks. The price of 'em is very steep. :shock: But I will give them a go one day. Maybe before Africa.
I've seen your posts on the Trad gang about buff........ you are keen :D .There are a few blokes over here that have hunted them with bows but there just not on this site :roll: . But I'm sure Basalt will post on here at lenght........ one hopes anyway.
After Africa I plan to hunt Alaska for Caribou. Just nowone tell my wife and I'm set.

Kind regards to all, Alan 8)

Basalt

Buffalo hunt in N.T.

#19 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:05 am

Howd'y LBM,
I did a very long post here yesterday and my bloody internet connection dropped out so I had to redial and not knowing how to save the post, I lost the bloody whole thing! :evil: I'd rather follow a gut-shot boar into the long grass then use this damn thing!! :( Anyway here I go again, with one finger it takes an old bush-bum a while!
I've returning from a great five days of hunting Buff and Scrub Bulls at Bullo River Station in the East Kimberly Ranges of N.T.
I stalked some real good Bull Buffalo and had an arrow on the string on three diffferent Bulls. One just under 20 paces and two at 15 paces, one was laying down and two were standing. Twice I had to wait for the right angle and the other time I was just drawing when the fickle breeze did the job on me. :cry: All three times there were no big trees closeby, twice I had 375 back-up 50-60yds back and once I was on my own. All three times when the Bulls bustered me they only ran 40-50yds and then walked back with their heads held high, look'in at me like I'd just bashed their Granny!! One morning I came over the bank of the Bullo River and ran smack bang into an old cow Buff. I must have scared her more then she scared me[ which took a bit of doing] 'cause when she turned to bolt the old girl fell over the bank and out of sight. I waited for a while but there was no movement. The old girl must have broken something 'cause she couldn't get up I finished her with an arrow in the chest. I would not have arrowed her normally and did not want to shoot a cow but it was the only thing to do. There was a rifle shooter there at the same time but we hunted with different guides and nowhere near each other. The guide radioed us when he shot a good size Bull Buff and we went for a look. I wanted to have a look at the ribs and try one of my arrows out on it.
I found the ribs to be about 1 1/4" wide and about 3/8" thick at the front of each rib going back to about 1/4" at the rear of each rib. The ribs seemed to have an even gap of about 1/2" between them, from top to bottom. I did this with the add of a torch and by feel so it may not be exactly right but it would be close. This was the rib area right on the back of the shoulder. Before doing this I tested my 70lb Newell bow and 770gn Quilia [hardwood] arrows out on the Buff. I paced off 15 and shot just above center of the chest angling forwards slightly and placed the arrow as if it was a slightly quartering away shot and would finish in the off-side shoulder. The arrow with it's Razor-sharp and Vasolined 145gn Grizzly head, burried through the hide to the fletchers and was wedged in the off-side rib or shoulder and took a bit of getting out! :shock: The guides and property owner were most impressed.

He's a quick summary on the place and the answer to some questions that hunters may want to know.

Accomodation, catering and hospitality :- Excellent, air-con rooms with ensuits, swimming pool, great food and drinks and top people.

Guides :- New at the Buff guiding game but honest, hardworking, keen and good with people. The first charging Buff may be a steep learning curve.

Trophy care :- Very good

Hunting :- Scrub Bulls - Excellent, plenty of big scrub bulls in horns and body size. Buffalo - I stalked lone bulls in the 90-100 Douglas point size all but one day but you had to work to find them! It was extremely hot 40-45 degrees C. dry and noisy. Stalked all the Buff in my socks or barefeet for the last 80yds. June-July-August would be more pleasant but the grass would be higher and the Buff maybe harder to fine or spot!
Wild Boars - Limited numbers but I did see a couple with good hooks.
Donkeys - Fair numbers in the hilly country for those who want to hunt them.

Fishing :- Very good - Excellent depending on the time of year and tides. I did catch 3 Barra and a nice Blue Salmon the only afternoon I fished, walking distance from the house but watch out for the Big Snapping-Handbags [Crocs] as they catch them up to 5.Metres long there in the Bullo.

There is also a four seat [ including the pilot] Helicoper for hire by the hour and a Hovercraft that can be hired by the hour but the price was out of my league :(

Chad if you or anyone else wants some more info on Bullo River or Buff hunting just leave me a post on here.
Hope this is of some help to future Buffalo hunters down-under!

Oh yah, here's a funny thing that happened while I was out on Bullo. There was a team of scientists from the Melbourne Museum collecting bird specimens with 410 and 12gauge shotguns for the Museum. I was hunting around a Spring [ natural water flowing out of the ground] 22km from the homestead when the scientists pulled up and went about collecting a few birds with the shotguns. They had poped a couple of Fig-birds and were heading for the car when they discovered me standing there. Startled them a little you might say and they were worried that they had scared some Buff off. It wasn't a problem I told them and set about inquiring as to what birds they were after. Peaceful Doves was the next on there list they told me. We stood there and shattered for a while and then the Americian scientist looked my bow up and down and came out with this classic. "seems kind of odd you know, here we are hunting Peaceful Doves with bloody great shotguns and here you are hunting bloody great Buffalo with two sticks and a piece of string". As they drove off I thought he's probabley right but I know which one I'd rather be doing :wink:

Life's short hunt hard!

LBR

#20 Post by LBR » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:09 am

Double post--sorry! :?
Last edited by LBR on Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Bows Rule!

LBR

#21 Post by LBR » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:10 am

Yep, them Forgewoods are a bit steep for wood, but might be worth a try if I could ever get any. I have a friend in Alaska who said they are very popular up there, and he has seen them shot through plywood, blunt end and no point--with no apparent damage to the shaft. I bet the Grizzly Sticks are tougher though :wink: .

Good luck on the Africa trip--I'd thought long and hard about a hunt there, but after researching and reading the accounts of others, I decided it's just not my type of hunt. I'd give it a go if it were a lot cheaper, but for the price I want to be out chasing something, not sitting, sweating, and waiting! Sooooo......for me, the buffalo will be the ultimate bowhunt. More of what I like in a hunt, cheaper than it's first cousin in Africa (Cape Buffalo), and anyway I've always wanted to visit Oz.

"Boomslang Bill"? Dang--I'd forgotten that you have those there. Here in the deep South (Mississippi) we only have cottonmouths, copperheads, coral and seasnakes (on the coast, a far piece from me) and 3 or 5 varieties of rattlesnake (aside from the mildly poisonous or non poisonous ones). Are snakes legal game there? I have some arrows a friend made for me, instead of a cap dip they have snake hide on them--got my little wheels a-turning...... :idea:

I hope to go to Alaska myself one day, and/or Quebec for carribou. I have a few friends up in the frozen North, both in Alaka and Canada. Went to Canada (Northern Ontario) chasing moose last year--all I managed to stick was a couple of Spruce Grouse, but what a trip! Good Lord willing and I live long enough, I will go back! As it stands for now though, I plan on going to Oregon next year for elk, then save all my pennies for Oz. No wifey to hold me back--got one Lady on hand that would have a ring on her finger if I would just agree to it, but the thoughts of it leaves me looking like this>>---------> :shock: On the other hand, she has a good chance of it, as she helped finance my moose trip.....

Ok Basalt, the crowd is waiting--finish up your drink and entertain us for a bit!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

LBR

#22 Post by LBR » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:22 am

Well, I guess we were typing at the same time! Excellent story Basalt--much appreciated!

Could you tell me about what your arrows weighed, what your draw length is, and what diameter they are? I feel better about my set-up now--I have an 85@30 Chek-Mate Crusader on order, and if I go with the Grizzly Sticks I can get an arrow weight of 900 grains or more. I get an average of around 187 fps with my 66@30.5 Cruasader, shooting arrows that are just under 10 grains per lb (620-640 grains). I've been talking with a couple of Americans who have shot the buffs with traditional bows, but I want to hear from as many folks as I can.

Thanks again!

Chad
Long Bows Rule!

Basalt

Back again

#23 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:53 am

LBR.
Sorry mate,I hit the bloody M instead of the bloody R. I don't think you would have any worries at all with your 85 pounder. but I'd still hold off for a broadside or slightly quartering away shot. I guided Don Thomas this year and he had two of those Grizzly sticks. He drove a big Basalt boar from close range quartering on with his 72lb recurve the boar snapped the arrow about 10 inches from the head. Which I thought would take a bit of doing. I wasn't guiding Don that day and only saw the broken shaft. I liked the look of them but and if they weren't so bloody dear I 'd use them on Buff, Scrub Bulls and Big Hogs.

Silverfox you young bugger, your right, that's a damn fine bow and I ain't finished with 'em Buff yet mate. The next trip on the Buff I reckon I might need a young, agile decoy that can run a big Bull past me nice an close and big fella, I reckon you're just the man for the job. :lol: :lol:

Basalt

Back again

#24 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:58 am

LBR.
Sorry mate,I hit the bloody M instead of the bloody R. I don't think you would have any worries at all with your 85 pounder. but I'd still hold off for a broadside or slightly quartering away shot. I guided Don Thomas this year and he had two of those Grizzly sticks. He drove a big Basalt boar from close range quartering on with his 72lb recurve the boar snapped the arrow about 10 inches from the head. Which I thought would take a bit of doing. I wasn't guiding Don that day and only saw the broken shaft. I liked the look of them but and if they weren't so bloody dear I 'd use them on Buff, Scrub Bulls and Big Hogs.

Silverfox you young bugger, your right, that's a damn fine bow and I ain't finished with 'em Buff yet mate. The next trip on the Buff I reckon I might need a young, agile decoy that can run a big Bull past me nice an close and big fella, I reckon you're just the man for the job. :lol: :lol:

vegie

#25 Post by vegie » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:57 pm

Basalt,
thanks for posting the story of your hunt, its a small world as the scientist you mentioned actually work for CSIRO in the same division as me. I heard a similar comment today about them running into a bloke up north chasing buffs with a couple of sticks. They enquired how you went, I will pass it on.

They asked and I am also curiuos how much did your hunt cost??

Daryl

Silverfox.

#26 Post by Silverfox. » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:14 pm

AHHHHHH.... Boomslang Billy Baker! :wink: Hows ares we? All rested up are we OLD mate? I'm keen to smack the crap out of a scrubber mate but I thinks I knows a spot or two for free! As for the running part mate, I'm a bit out of condition at this moment but I'm sure with a bit of notice we could work something out! :wink: I think I'd be a better back up man for you at least I would stand fast and shoot strait..... well last time I did! :shock: Any way I can out run you so thats all that counts! :wink:
The Donkey hunt sound like fun, the goss is there hard to hunt with a stickbow? I'm in that one for sure.

O yeh the new bow turned up....... here comes Africa.

Basalt

It's a small world

#27 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:17 pm

Hi Vegie.
It's a small world alright mate, what would the odds of that be I wonder !!
They were interesting guys that covered some great country and if they even need a cook or feral control assistant I'd be keen! :? That hunt cost me more then Silverfox's prize bow and less then a divorce but hell that girl of mine thinks I've only got a few good ones left in me,[ hunts that is] so I keep telling her it's the last big hunt! :wink: [ lucky she's asleep]

Basalt

Silverfox's quickstep

#28 Post by Basalt » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:30 pm

Silverfox, you've been home to long, give him something constructive to do Kelly. I think he's turning a bit strange and I'm worried about the colours in that new bow, he might be going a bit on the gay side. Not that there's anything wrong with gay bowhunters, mind you :wink: Anyway mate just as long as those blisters don't give ya any trouble, you'd probably get past the old bloke no worries, as long as you didn't trip over his bow, on the way through :D

ds

#29 Post by ds » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Hi there,
Firstly congratulations on this fine w/site (1st post). I would like to acknowledge that l am not a traditional archer rather one that utilizes all the mod cons that he can get his hands on. Though by the same token admire dearly the competence levels required to become proficient with the stick n' string.

For what it's worth! l also just returned from a trip to NT, in pursuit of those beasts of burden. I would like to reiterate what Basalt has said regarding shot placement and distances. IMHO broadside or better still quartering away opportunities are ones best chance at a clean harvest. Be aware of the anatomy of buffalo in particular the positioning of the lungs (positioned somewhat high). A large target they may well be, though the HEAVY bone and large gut that surrounds the vitals requires critical shot placement. Low percentage shots that you may have resurrected with some luck on smaller game are less likely to fall in your favor on bovine- IMO. Personally l like to keep the distance under 30 meters, though having said that it can have an undesirable effect on ones bowel..lol
I was fortunate to again to harvest a mature bull, one arrow at j/over 20 meters hit the beast as he quartered away. The broadhead hit a rib squarely and traveled through both lungs. The beast made his escape though traveled less than 30 meters and died in less than a minute.
Here are some pics..enjoy

Glenn Newell

#30 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:03 pm

Thanks for posting that story and the information about shot placement ds. That's a good looking animal, no doubt it is nerve racking at the big moment with such a big dangerous animal so close.