Mark's hunting trip?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Mark's hunting trip?

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:13 am

Mark,

I was only thinking you must be close to being back from your trip to the top end and I see you have posted. It is obvious you made it back alive, and we hope in good health. :)

Well mate how was the trip? Did you mange to take that buff you were after? I really would like to know how you went and I'm sure others would also.

I've heard it has been pretty warm up that way so I guess you lost a bit of sweat hey? How was the dreaded mozzies also? I remember one trip up there they nearly drove me mad. In fact at one place we got out because they were so thick you could hardly breath for them. They were those little black ones - and man could they sting.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Jeff

Mark

#2 Post by Mark » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:51 pm

G'day Jeff,
Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you, I havn't checked in here for a week or so. Just saw your thread.

Had a good trip thanks. No buff though, saw plenty but had no legit permition to any. Been a while since I lived and worked on the stations up there and most old contacts have moved on.

Though the pig population is being flogged mostly by doggers for the box I did get in a fair few days back out on the flood plains and along the swamps with good company and recurves in hand. Still managed to get amongst a few pigs but no record breakers.

I will try and attach a photo of one half decent boar but havn't had any luck with photos here before so you might need to copy and past it to the address bar.

[link]http://www.geocities.com/huntsman_bows/nt_boar_150.jpg[/link]

Mark K.
Attachments
nt_boar_150.jpg
nt_boar_150.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
www.huntsmanbows.com
Australian hand crafted,
custom, takedown recurves.

Glenn Newell

#3 Post by Glenn Newell » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:47 am

That's a real good boar Mark. They get pretty big in the Territory, would love to hunt those big fellas one day.

erron

#4 Post by erron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:54 am

Snappy looking fellah, Mark, well done!

:)

Erron

Jock

#5 Post by Jock » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:50 am

Good looking pig Mark, what poundage is your bow?

Jock.
Johnny B. Good.

TRASH

bugger

#6 Post by TRASH » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:58 am

Great boar Mark
Even better the country you were hunting in by the look of it.
By the way, did he chase ya mate ? Tell the truth , Those pandanus palms can be a bugger to get through in a hurry, they can wreak havoc on a good shirt !!! :wink:
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

MICC

#7 Post by MICC » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:00 pm

Very nice boar Mark and top photo as well, good on ya mate.
Hey Mick if those are the biggest tree's in the background, you and I haven't got a hope of getting up one of them, looks like steel undies country.
MICC

Mark

#8 Post by Mark » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:57 am

Havn't checked in here for a few days - thanks for the comments fellas. It's certainly good pig country if you can beat the doggers.

No he didn't get to give chase. If they do in country like that with nothing worth climbing around, the only thing left to do is get BEHIND your mate :D

I shoot about 64 lb @ 28" Jock. Aztec up front - cuts a scary whole.

Mark K.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:50 pm

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked in for awhile either so it's taken a while to answer your reply sorry. Like the others have said, that is a good boar.

That flood plain country sure is different to hunt. As you said there isn't anywhere to run to if things go bad. Kinda makes the adrenalin flow when your only a few metres from a boar and your standing knee deep in mud and water hey?

Glad that you enjoyed the time away as that's what it is about and thanks for sharing your story.

Jeff

erron

#10 Post by erron » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:05 pm

Kinda makes the adrenalin flow when your only a few metres from a boar and your standing knee deep in mud and water hey
probably a dumb question, but how well do they swim? I swim okay, and given the incentive of an angry boar, I'd swim like an olympic champ!

:shock: :lol:

Erron

Glenn Newell

#11 Post by Glenn Newell » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:26 pm

Erron I think that up in that country you might be better off getting a wack up the **** from and angry boar rather than going for a swim to save your ****, you might not make the other side if you go splashing around in the water up there.

Bullwinkle

#12 Post by Bullwinkle » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:50 pm

That is a good boar if you don't mind me saying Mark, and some mighty fine looking country to by the way.

You beat me to it Glenn. Some of the water holes up that way don't look like they could support a big lizard but I can assure you they can.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:10 pm

Erron,

A pig can swim but in knee deep stuff they can run faster than we can on dry land. You could easily end up sporting a pair of pants like Glenn did on his last hunt or a shirt that looked like the one Mark was wearing. :lol:

The flood plain counrty is just swamp and you can have mud, grass and water, without tree, for many acres. Makes for very interesting stalking.

No swimming up there as Bullwinkle said - very big lizards :shock:

I had the wind up on more than a few occasions in the swamp areas. You just never knew when you could walk up on a croc. Col Graham and I ended up well inside a big swamp on one occasion (his fault of course). There was a big salty living not far away and I can tell you I was VERY glad to get out of there in one piece.

Having said all that, hunting the flood plains of the NT can be very exciting and is totally different to any hunting I've ever done elsewhere.

Jeff

erron

#14 Post by erron » Sun Oct 12, 2003 7:17 pm

You guys crack me up! :lol:

big lizards, :D :D :D

I can see I've got a lot to learn before I venture north with my bow!

Erron

(hadn't even thought about crocs, dumb mex I am :( )

TRASH

#15 Post by TRASH » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:56 pm

Its a good way to catch a pig if they are swimmin! You touch the bottom before they do and all you have to do is hang on !!!!!! yeeha been there done that!!
I have seen actually a first class effort by a fellow Trashie in TRASH TWO
who would qaulify easy for the bowhunters olympics with his fantastic effort in the run and jump in the creek event.
Picture a 30 meter bank, 70 degree angle ,no trees or cover, wind blowing down the river , VERY large Boar wallowing on the edge of a large waterhole , Beautiful !!! OFF you go old son i said being the honorable soul that i am.
Well Nigel slipped down the bank about 50 meters down wind of him and proceeded along the edge of the water hole. He closed the distance on the sleeping brute to about 15 feet. As you do! We tend to say don't let fear hold ya back mate so he drew down on the beast with his trusty custom- stick from stickbow traditions and let loose an arrow. The boar launched forward straight at Nigel and being the supeme athlete that he is he completed the pirowet and jump all in one motion into the waterhole. The boar ran another 15 feet and collapsed . The blimen thing went 30 dp you ripper but only on one tusk as the other was broken off at the gum HA!! Why do you think i sent Nige down there ??? What are mates for especially trashy mates.
I think some of the other events as listed in the bowhunter olympics are
THE up a tree up tree event
THE poke em and run event
The throw your bow and loose one shoe event.
The list goes on maybe you could enlighten us to some more TRASH ONE,MICC and STICKBOW
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:09 pm

Poor Ol' Nige, he sure had some fun times didn't he. We did also laughin' at him. You forgot one though Strowie:

The scared man crashin' through the prickle bush event! :lol:

I'm sure MICC and Trash One can add a few others - SHUDDER!!! :?

Talkin about Nigel, he and Tish called in home last week while on their honeymoon. It was good to catch up with them for an hour or so.

Jeff

Basalt

Gotta laugh

#17 Post by Basalt » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:28 am

Top boar Mark, sounds like you had a great trip even without the Buff. Now I know how this thing works I'll be able to catch up with you a bit more. I let ya what, you guys had me rolling around the floor in stitches. I've hunted the Territory a few times Erron and like Glenn and Jeff I reckon I'd rather poke a ******-off boar in the face then swim with the Snapp'in Handbags!! Just as a matter of interest, boars sink very quickly in deep water with a couple of broardhead holes in the engine room!

trash one

#18 Post by trash one » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:41 pm

Hay Jeff, I think the effort that Strowy put up in the chilly eating contest was one of the unforgetable events. Strowy didn't even know he had entered, you can tell he is well schooled by his first coment I'm shore it is one of those phases he picked up in that flash french cooking school he went to,(HHAAAA AAAA WOTDDDFOOOKWASADAT ARRRRR) I can't spell english little own french but it sounded some thing like that. I was impressed to when he lead the charge the next morning in the drag your butt through the cool sand event, and the way blitzed the field in the coooeee event he was the furtherest one out on the flat and we still heard him, he was out near the tree with the bite marks on it and those little bubbling lava pools around it (I think it was lava ).
I better go Jeff I've got an 1800 K shopping trip tomorrow I've got to load up the troopy with tucker water and fuel.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:48 pm

I remember that episode real well Butcho. Makes me laugh everytime I think about it. :lol:

Do you remember the trips to the esky and the slices of cucumber on the eyes! I have to give it to him though he was gunna eat that chille mince no matter what.

For others the famous CHILLE mince was made by Wanna , Vic Johnsen's wife. It was HOT!!! :shock: :oops:

I ate a small bit about 1 cm square and that was all I could stand but not Strowie. He had to eat his no matter what the consequences and I think Butcho has done a good job of explaining what those were. :lol:

Jeff