More bloody rabbits.

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

More bloody rabbits.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:26 pm

It had been another hot day. The rabbits would have been deep in their burrows awaiting the coolness of evening to feed.

The creek had been dry for some time. The clay banks were now like mud bricks, dried and baked in the sun. The grass had long since withered and died.

After enjoying my evening meal, I decided, what better way to digest it than a nice long walk with the bow in hand. The hot sun was now low on the horizon. A cool southerly breeze now refreshed the baked creek-scape. The rabbits were out in their hundreds.

The first opportunity for a shot was almost immediate. A big rabbit was sitting on it's burrow doorstep. It was probably thinking about the last bit of green grass that was once the bottom of one of the deepest pools in the creek. My arrow slammed the rabbit back into the real world in a cloud of spitting clay particles as it embedded itself into the side of the burrow entrance.

A little further on, yet another opportunity presented itself. A rabbit was enjoying the coolness of the evening. It was just sitting their, oblivious to my presence. I was down in the dry creek bed. The rabbit was about 20 meters away, but sitting on a little perch of clay, about 3 parts of the way up the steep bank. Once again my shot missed by the narrowest of margins. Actually I thought that I'd hit it, but the arrow glanced of the hard clay surface and went flying through a nearby gorse bush. I watched the rabbit for a moment, half expecting to see it fall down dead, but it just didn't happen. Neither did finding the arrow. I really should have been using Judo heads, I was thinking to myself. The ground was just too hard for my arrows to penetrate unless the angle was almost square on. Unfortunately, I'd left my Judos at home.

I moved on, further down the creek. It wasn't long before I saw a rabbit eating some of the last greenish grass left in the whole area, which of course was right at the bottom of the creek bed. He was about 30 meters away. A long shot for sure, but there was simply no way of stalking closer. Predictably, my arrow fell short. I'm not used to shooting at longer ranges. I began to curse myself for taking such a foolhardy shot. But wait! It wasn't all over, the arrow was skipping along the ground straight towards the rabbit. The rabbit turned and started to run, but it was too late, the arrow was quicker and it hit the rabbit behind the ribs, angling forward through it's vitals. It was almost like witnessing a heat seeking missile on the nightly news. I quickly cleaned the rabbit and placed it in the shade to collect on my return.

A little further down the creek I came to an area that's literally alive with rabbits. As I was getting myself into my usual shooting position in the little wash away that allows me get in real close to the big warrens, a rabbit came around the bend running straight towards me. It was intent on something behind it. I let it keep coming until it was only 5 meters away before driving a broadhead through it end to end. Two bunnies, I was pretty smug with myself.

I thought there might still be some action waiting for me at the warren, as the last shot was some distance from it, so I very slowly and quietly sneaked forward into my usual sniping position. There was nothing stirring. Not a single rabbit to be seen. I thought to myself, "that's strange, that last shot wouldn't have scared them". I slowly pushed through the gorse bushes being very careful not to make any scraping noises. I emerged into the open. It was completely dead. I carefully scanned the area. That's it! A bloody fox! I could just make out the distinctive colouring through the gorse bushes. It wasn't moving. Very carefully I moved closer, keeping a gorse bush between myself and the fox. I slowly lifted my head just enough to be able to see through the uppermost twigs of the bush. The fox was sound asleep! I moved sideways to get a better angle for my shot. It was only about 7 meters away. It didn't seem sporting to shoot the poor creature while it was asleep, but I remembered the farmers words about what he thought of foxes. The shot connected the fox at the base of it's neck and exited the offside behind it's ribcage. It writhed around on the ground, fighting off an imagined assailant. It died very quickly, yet I felt a tinge of sadness. Love them or hate them, you've got to give them credit, they are survivors. Anyway, it was one less lamb eating fox for the farmer to worry about.

It had been a fantastic hunt. One of my most successful ever. I'll always remember it. It took place in January 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't take the camera.

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Arra Slinger

#2 Post by Arra Slinger » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:26 pm

Well done Mick
got to love shooting small game hey

Ben

CM Sackett

#3 Post by CM Sackett » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:06 pm

Very well done, INDEED Mick!

That was refreshing on a dull Delta morning (7:05... as I type).

Thanks;

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

erron

#4 Post by erron » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:08 am

Good luck to you, Mick, nice story!

Erron

archangel

rabbit hunt

#5 Post by archangel » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:31 pm

Mick wrote:
It had been a fantastic hunt. One of my most successful ever. I'll always remember it. It took place in January 2005. Unfortunately, I didn't take the camera.
Love your hunting stories Mick, don't worry about the pictures ... readin' is more often better appreciated than the lookin'.

I have also enjoyed stalking (not very successful) but it has certainly sharpened my skills. A couple of times when the shot has been real close, the rabbit sits there looking at it sticking in the ground, as if to say, "What the heck is that thing???" before bouncing away.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:07 pm

An enjoyable read about a great hunt Mick. Thanks.

Jeff

ssga

#7 Post by ssga » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:56 pm

Great read Mick Smith,

Anytime spent out an about is great even if you don't get to draw a bead..... :oops:

Cheers

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

Jeffro

#8 Post by Jeffro » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:42 pm

yes good story mick, im yet to bag a bunny. Dont get as many opportunities as id like to go hunting. Great stuff with the fox.
What kind of bow is that in your avatar?

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:49 pm

Jeffro

It's a Bear Kodiak Magnum. It's 52 inches long AMO and has a draw weight of 50lbs @ 28 inches. I believe it was made in 1971 or 1972, by the medallion and glass colour. It was the model before they turned to using actionwood (green dyed impregnated maple) for all their bows.

I refinished it about 6 months back. I'm quite happy with the way it looks and performs. :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

pedro

#10 Post by pedro » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:51 pm

good read lod mate.
pedro