Who Here Actually Hunts?

Stories, questions, lies about the one that got away....

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:50 pm

Trash

I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing (photos) all about it mate. You blokes defy the ordinary and do it your own way. Good on you!!!

Good luck!! :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Basalt

When too much hunting is not enough

#32 Post by Basalt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:12 pm

G'day gang, interesting post coach. I enjoy reading about the hunting on here whether it's about bowhunting Rabbits or Buffalo so keep them coming guys. I did a little hunting last month. In 27days Brad Kane and I flew 35,000kms, walked and climbed 230-240 kms on foot, in elevations from 4,200 ft - 8150 ft [my GPS. had it in feet] Spent 23 days straight hunting with more Llamas than people. The days varied from hot and sunny to snowing and cold. Ate more chocolate than I have in my whole life and still lost weight. We were up before daylight every morning and back into our spike camps as late as 11:30 pm and we carried our recurves every step of the way. Our other four hunting buddies all hunted with recuves or longbows. Other than 14 Spruce Grouse [ which Brad shot the marjority of] our arrows never drew blood on any Elk, Bear or Deer. Now some people will be thinking what a waste of time and money. There are things that money alone can never buy.The hunters amoungst us will know exactly what I mean when I talk of the feeling you get when a HUGE 6x7 Bull Elk comes walking up the mountain towards you with his mouth open and head swaying from side to side. Fifteen yards is not far but quartering on is not a shot for any bowhunter.
A black bear devouring " Huckleberries" on the run while you try your best to intercept him in your socks before he gets your scent is another that I won't forget. The look on my mate's face when we find his 5x5 bull Elk expired way down in this "Hell-hole" is priceless. Even the pack out of there with 300lb of boned out Elk meat, three fatefull Llamas and bulging backpacks I won't forget for a long while. Girls don't feel left out our mate's wife Tracey Hinton nailed the biggest Bull Elk for the trip a huge 6x6 with her 50 lb longbow [cop that guys] :oops: . Brad and I were moving spike camp that day so I don't have any photos of Tracey's bull but I can tell you it was a ripper. I can still remember the smell of fried Grouse in Brandy and sizzling Elk fillet amoung others but most of all I'll remember the laughter and endless stories we all shared and the priceless good times had with like minded friends and simply tools made of stick and string.
Attachments
Idaho 05 Toomba Oct 05 144 copy.jpg
Idaho 05 Toomba Oct 05 144 copy.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

jindydiver

#33 Post by jindydiver » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:19 pm

What a ripper :D

Can you give us some details about your hunt and your gear?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#34 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:31 pm

I hope you realise just how lucky you are Bill. You actually live the life that the rest of us can only dream of. You exploits sound like pure heaven mate, even without bagging a single thing. :D

Keep it up mate! At least we can enjoy your stories and that will probably be as close to this sort of exotic hunting as most of us will ever get. With your writing skills, it seems we're almost right there anyway, at least for a moment. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

coach

#35 Post by coach » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Ahh , So you hunt dude ,, thats good to see , glad you posted some stuff to back it up :P

Rue

#36 Post by Rue » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:31 pm

Bill,
That is fantastic!!! Where did you hunt US or Canada?
Thanks,
Rick.

Basalt

#37 Post by Basalt » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:29 am

Yep Mick you're sure right there, I'm very lucky to do the things I do and to have a very understanding wife and family. That said I'd also like to say that it's not out of the reach of most bowhunters. I don't go to the pub [ do have the odd beer at home on a hot day] and don't smoke just put that money to a better cause I reckon. Anyway we hunted the Rocky Mountains of Idaho where Ozzies can hunt for Elk, Black Bear, Mule and Whitetail unguided on vast areas of public land. All your tags and bowhunting Lics. can be purchased on the internet. There are lots of trails that you can pack in on where vehicles are not permitted. There was a lake with cabins for hire at a fare price right near where we hunted. Once we got back off the dirt roads and onto the trails in 23 days I only saw two other bowhunters, father and son both shooting compounds. Water was plentiful but needed to be filtered unless in was at the head of the spring. [coming straight out of the mountain] Firewood is everywhere and even a blind man could start a fire in Idaho as the dry moss and pine twigs stay dry on the lower part of the trees even after a down pour. I plan to do a "how ozzies can hunt Idaho" story for Cashy's magazine with all the details and hopefully a page or to from my mates that killed the Elk just to liven things up a little. As for the gear we all shot :- Doug shot his Elk with a 70lb Wes Wallace recurve and carbon arrow tipped with a Snuffer. Rik killed his Elk with a 70lb Howard Hill longbow Hickery arrow and Ribtek head, Tracey nailed her Bull with a 51lb longbow of what make I'm not sure timber arrow and Ribtek head. Brad shot his trusty Huntsman 59lb @28lb Mark Kimber recurve and I shot my Robertson Falcon 56lb @ 27" Brad and I both shot 2020 Eastons. Mine tipped with 145gn Grizzlies and Brad with Ribteks. We all shot feathers that we coated with powder dry. Cloths, boots and sleeping bags etc need to be of good quality for this sort of hunt but I'll put all those details in the story. Although I can't give away the mates secret spots I'd be only too happy to help any of the Ozbow gang with more info on our hunt.
Anyway on a different note and just to show you how luck plays a big part in hunting I'll try and add this photo of this boar I shot on the first day I went hunting after I returned to Oz. The hunting gods sure work in mysterious ways as he's equal to the biggest set of hooks I've taken in thirty years. :roll: :o
Attachments
s_shrunk_boar_354.jpg
s_shrunk_boar_354.jpg (151.98 KiB) Viewed 3394 times

Al Kidner

#38 Post by Al Kidner » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:07 am

Howdie Bill,

Good to see you back my long lost buddy. I"m very happy for you & Bad Ass and I'm sure you all had a top time over the big pond. I'll call over the wekend for a chat.

What have I been dooen? Bloody work................. :roll:

smokey

#39 Post by smokey » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:14 am

i hunt often and usualy get something, the lack of photos is simple the lack of having a camera with me but next time i go ill be sure to take some happy snaps for you all

Mick Smith

#40 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:55 pm

Howdy Smokey, welcome to the site. :D I look forward to seeing your photos.

Bill

I realize your life is not "all beer and skittles" and that you have to make sacrifices to be able to do what you love. You have rightly pointed out that any of us could do the same with the right motivation and direction. I look forward to reading your article. I suppose the same hold true for bowhunting in this country too. You don't necessarily need a fat wallet in order to be successful. A bit of will power, drive and ambition can make up for most things. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting your **** into gear. :)

Nice boar there mate! :wink:

Mick

ken

do I hunt

#41 Post by ken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:32 pm

Do I hunt,I live for the hunt, but because of bureaucrats :evil: I'm not legally aloud to hunt with a bow in tasie,just rabbits and feral cats. Hunter gathers are what we are,Its our heritage.(Cree Indian prophecy)Only after the last tree has been cut down,Only after last river has been poisoned,Only after the last fish has been caught,Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.All traditional bow hunters should relate to this.
Lifes short shoot straight

bear74

#42 Post by bear74 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:00 am

Gday all,
I hunt at least once while out on R&R from work which is 7days on, 4 days off so I think I get out enough considering that I have have other interests and commitments as well, as for pictures well I don't have a digital camera or a scanner and the only computer access I had was at work :cry: and thats only 20mins a day. We just moved into a new place last week so I may be able to post some pics soon, thats if I can find time in between hunting and fishing trips :wink:

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Hood

#43 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:54 pm

Nice boar you got there Bill. Glad the hunting Gods are on your side atleast. Every time I get organised to go on a hunt lately the wife comes down sick and I then become Mrs Mom for a few days. Still it's a good excuse to have a couple of days off work to spend time with my daughter.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Dennis La Varenne

#44 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:12 pm

I haven't been out for a couple of years now.

I used to get out quite a bit trying to connect with a Sambar and Hog Deer down here in Victoria using both rifle and bow. I also used to get out to South West Queensland on pigs and goats when I was up there most of the last 12+ years.

I got close a few times but not close enough. Life has gotten in the way a lot lately.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

smokey

#45 Post by smokey » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:03 pm

any of you tassie boys out there g'day, i've just moved down to Hobart from NQ where there was plenty of hunting area's and game, like i said i am a keen hunter but rabbits are driving me crazy, does anybody know any places i can go to get something a bit bigger

Dennis La Varenne

#46 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:20 pm

Smokey,

I think you are out of luck down there.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Basalt

#47 Post by Basalt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:40 pm

G'day gang, First I'd like to apologize to you all for jumping in and out of here and not keeping up with the replies but I don't get a lot of time on here. It's a strange world we live in, I spend more time in the bush [ leave again tomorrow] then I do with my family and you guys more time with the family than in the bush, I guess. Funny thing is, we are both envious of each other.
This is something I wrote not long after I ended that old boar's life. I don't know if it even makes sence but I guess if anyone can understand it will be the Ozbow gang. It's what I thought we both might have been thinking that final day. My thoughts are about as close as I can remember them, his I'll never know. Oh yeh, I did take a photo of that second arrow, just as a reminder.
Attachments
OLD HOG by Bill Baker.doc
(50 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Steely

#48 Post by Steely » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:13 pm

Great story Bill , Fantastic ! I was there !!! that pen is your servant mate

Hood

#49 Post by Hood » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 pm

Best read I've had in a while Bill, congrats on a great story.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

pedro

#50 Post by pedro » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:04 pm

i must be getting soft because i felt quite sad after reading that.
a great read as always.
pedro.

erron

#51 Post by erron » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:34 am

Yes, another great read Bill, thanks :)

Pedro, I think I understand you (if we're both thinking about Bill saying we envy each other), but I just smiled and thought how typical of the species that is: The other man's grass being greener and all that. Reminds me to look around and be thankful for what I have...

:)

Erron

Axe

#52 Post by Axe » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:27 pm

:(
Last edited by Axe on Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

pedro

#53 Post by pedro » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:47 pm

erron, it was the way it came from the pigs point of veiw, his club foot and all that. i felt sorry for thwe old fella.
doesnt mean ill stop hunting though.
pedro.

Torsten

Do I really bow-hunt?

#54 Post by Torsten » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:41 pm

Coach,

interesting point!

I must admit (proudly) that I became a hunter also.

For the readers who have not read the article about my first mammal hunted (rifle) please refer to my post: first moose.

Let me shortly describe how I became a hunter:

- I never liked hunting since 4 years ago
- rabbits killing my apple trees
- first recurve, 26 lbs.
- still rabbits
- second recurve, 50 lbs.
- still rabbits
- hunting license
- third re curve, 65 lbs.
- still rabbits
- heavy bolt action rifle
- one moose down.
- still rabbits

I love hunting, but must admit, somehow I missed the goal in the first place..hehehehehehehe.

Still rabbits. But I constructed effective fences now. Learned something at least.

I hope you had some fun reading that.

I love hunting!
Torsten

grizzly

#55 Post by grizzly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:39 pm

after two years of trying ,and my third unsuccesfull payed hunt,i havent even seen any game on a bow hunt.
i can safely say i dont hunt with a bow,and probably never will

jindydiver

#56 Post by jindydiver » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:42 pm

Where do you live Grizzly?
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

grizzly

#57 Post by grizzly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:50 pm

south east qld jindy
i have to travell at least 3 hrs from here to get properties,and havnt had any luck asking
thats why ive payed to hunt,unsuccesfully.

jindydiver

#58 Post by jindydiver » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:53 pm

Next time you are down south bring your bow and your camo :wink:
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

piggy

#59 Post by piggy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:59 pm

Ditto Mate :wink:

Sparra

#60 Post by Sparra » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:08 pm

I might try the same spiel and see if I get some invites.. :wink: :wink: